• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, i'm not sure how halo could pull off a really successful openworld. however, an engine capable of that size and scope could be a great marriage with CE sized levels (or larger), and/or ODST style hub

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
The mission where you fly the Pelican, you can pick between two initial objectives (or utilize a glitch and bypass them completely). Not a full example, perhaps.
yeah, i wouldnt count that - though i'm not sure what made it unsuccessful, i love the similar club errera level from reach. perhaps its as simple as those forerunner structures not feeling as connected to the surrounding environment? or, the surrounding environment being largely just a huge open backdrop with nothing else of real gameplay interest?

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, i wouldnt count that - though i'm not sure what made it unsuccessful, i love the similar club errera level from reach. perhaps its as simple as those forerunner structures not feeling as connected to the surrounding environment? or, the surrounding environment being largely just a huge open backdrop with nothing else of real gameplay interest?
The latter IMO. I love how the level looks but man it is empty, and the combat with the Pelican isn't fun but a slog. There are just two objects, all you do is to fly straight between them, and then snipe the Phantoms from distance. Needs a lot more.
To be honest, i was never fan of New Alexandria in Reach either, while the Falcon is one of the best aerial vehicles in any game i've played (Bungie just nailed the controls perfectly), a whole level devoted to it isn't particularly fun. Random objectives and random side missions is kind of neat, but there should've been an option to go around on foot through buildings, and more freedom in choosing the order of objectives (or even if one wants to do side missions).

Funny. Years before Halo 4, or even Reach, i always loved the idea of flying the Pelican or Phantom etc. But Reach's easter egg and Halo 4, even more so, demonstrate why it never really was. It ain't fun, it is a clumsy vehicle. Would be neat in large-scale multiplayer if its mobility is tweaked but that's about it.

Oct 25, 2017
I always liked that approach. It creates the illusion of choice and open world-ness in an otherwise linear game.

ONI Swordbase from Halo Reach is the last mission that I remember doing this. Is there one from Halo 4 or 5 that I'm missing?

You could choose which towers you wanted to hit in whatever order (or skip them and speed run the mission) in "Shutdown" in Halo 4, and I guess the Halo 5 guns-down mission let you wander around the town to find out the info you needed in whatever order.

I think it just lacked some of the recognizable elements of New Alexandria—it was far easier to get lost. It also doesn't help that it doesn't really visually telegraph what you're doing well, as opposed to the really well done sequence of "Forerunner" where you see where you're going warp to it, and come back so you're always mindful of your progress (really the only good use of teleporters in that game too, which were otherwise too often used in confusing ways.) It also suffered from creating a perfect four-man co-op setup and then really not using it (if you were in side gunner seats you were incredibly limited in what you could target, and there was generally no reason to bother with them since you were going from tower to tower anyhow.)

I had a lot of fun with some other people launching people from the Pelican all the way onto the leaving Covenant ships in the distance, though.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
The mission where you fly the Pelican, you can pick between two initial objectives (or utilize a glitch and bypass them completely). Not a full example, perhaps.

That is actually excactly why I forgot that the mission has 2 objectives. Every time I replay the mission, I just fly to the last tower and finish the mission in ~10 minutes as opposed to probably the 30+ minutes it would take. I think the other 2 towers are also you basically being stuck on rails, right? I never liked that, especially not against Halo 4's Prometheans.

Funny. Years before Halo 4, or even Reach, i always loved the idea of flying the Pelican or Phantom etc. But Reach's easter egg and Halo 4, even more so, demonstrate why it never really was. It ain't fun, it is a clumsy vehicle. Would be neat in large-scale multiplayer if its mobility is tweaked but that's about it.

Yep. This is something that I personally wanted, as well, and when I played it I immediately thought "why would anyone want this". Halo fans not knowing what they want was 100% accurate for me during that mission. lol

You could choose which towers you wanted to hit in whatever order (or skip them and speed run the mission) in "Shutdown" in Halo 4, and I guess the Halo 5 guns-down mission let you wander around the town to find out the info you needed in whatever order.

I also just remembered Halo 4 Midnight, which lets you choose to clear the last Didact room clock- or counterclockwise. Although it's the same area, it's still technically giving you the freedom of choice. Definitely not the best example, though.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also just remembered Halo 4 Midnight, which lets you choose to clear the last Didact room clock- or counterclockwise. Although it's the same area, it's still technically giving you the freedom of choice. Definitely not the best example, though.
I always, always go counter-clockwise. I think i have done it on the other direction once but it just doesn't feel right.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Gimme an ODST style HUB (or perhaps multiple ODST style hubs spread around) with careful classic Halo level design accessible within.
Though a few larger than normal play areas within classic level design could also be fun.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
The final mission of Halo 5 lets you take down the generator things in any order you like.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Social Stream starting soon. Chris Lee will be there to touch on Halo: Infinite's development. Don't expect much, though:

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They added snow to a bunch of levels, didn't know it was possible!

I would love to see weather and time of day variants introduced for some of the maps, randomly circulating.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Things I've heard (joined a little late):

• Player Customization is a focus and they kinda acknowledged that Halo Reach did it best and that players should look forward to Infinite's customization.
  • People who reached SR152 in H5 (lol), will get something in Infinite.
  • Competetive Halo is also a focus and they confirmed that they are in the process of rebuilding a Pro Team.
  • Part of the reason they decided to make a new engine was because they had to plan for PC, too. Talking about scalability on PC hardware and etc. which was hard with the current engine. They also hit a limit in Halo 5 for how much content the game/engine could hold.
  • Black undersuits once again confirmed.
  • 343i will have an internal tournament on an Infinite build at the start of the year.

Last edited:

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
They didn't specify. They have the technical director on and he talked about how they thought it was important to get the tech for it ready early for it after they couldn't get it in for Halo 5.

Also, Chris Lee said that people that liked the Reach style of armor customization will be happy with Infinite. (And he confirmed black undersuits, in case that wasn't out there already.) I'm so desperate that I'll take these small bits of new information.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn, they added snow and Christmas lights to Eden? Might have to check these maps out lol.
they also added really floaty jumps. within seconds of my first game i thrust slid jumped right off the map

• Player Customization is a focus and they kinda acknowledged that Halo Reach did it best and that players should look forward to Infinite's customization.
  • Competetive Halo is also a focus and they confirmed that they are in the process of rebuilding a Pro Team.
  • Part of the reason they decided to make a new engine was because they had to plan for PC, too. Talking about scalability on PC hardware and etc. which was hard with the current engine. They also hit a limit in Halo 5 for how much content the game/engine could hold.
  • 343i will have an internal tournament on an Infinite build at the start of the year.

re' re' sr152. HOLY SHIT. can 343 give them...a life? :P

re' competitive halo infinite - fuck yes. mikwen has recently mentioned retiring due to an opportunity that has presented itself. i thought it may be proteam related, now i'm even more confident.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
did anyone ask about the slipspace engine?

Yes, but as expected they didn't talk too much about it. Just some reasons why they decided to make a new engine, like faster and more efficient reiteration processes, Halo 5 essentially running out of content space and they needing something to scale better with PC hardware.

Nothing too crazy, really.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw some disgsting remarks on Halo Reddit regarding Bonnie Ross winning an award for her work in the industry. As usual though The Act Man pretends he never fostered those same sort of thoughts and comments with his videos.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I would like to know what so I can determine if it's worth grinding.

I don't even know if they know themselves? From the stream it sounded like they made the decision in that moment. I could obviously be wrong, though.

Anyways...From personal experience, I can say that it has never been worth it. I've never seen anything more than an Emblem, Skin, Icon or Medal for these kind of things and that's honestly what I expect.

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017

You forgot Flighting. Infinite may be getting something similar to the MCC Insider program.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I still play quite a bit and even using a fuckton of legendary xp boosts im only about halway through 148. I know infinite is a ways off, i wont purposely grind, but i think i can do it!

What if its exclusive hyabusa? /appropriate emote

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's something you can unlock even after Infinite is released.

probably an unpopular opinion, but i'm going to say no. if someone gets to lvl 152, it better be something you ONLY get by doing that. i'd be pissed if i played that much only for everyone to eventually get what should be literally an exclusive thing.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
probably an unpopular opinion, but i'm going to say no. if someone gets to lvl 152, it better be something you ONLY get by doing that. i'd be pissed if i played that much only for everyone to eventually get what should be literally an exclusive thing.
Destiny 1 -> Destiny 2 unlocks all had to be done by August 1, 2017 or something. What I think he's getting at is if I earn rank 152 a few months after Infinite comes out then it would unlock.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
not sure how this would go down with the competitive crowd, but i always thought map interactivity was always underused.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
not sure how this would go down with the competitive crowd, but i always thought map interactivity was always underused.

I think it would go down well with that crowd if done right. I remember them being really positive towards a competitive doubles map that had a pickup Called "key". Who ever had it would open up quick routes through the map by standing next to the doors.

It was pretty cool. I could see that idea being modified in countless ways. Even some "light bridge" ways.

I think it would have to be better executed than the interactive elements in H2A. Those were pretty gimmicky.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, Halo 2 with the conveyor belts, wheel and H2A with some reimagining of those elements. I'd like to see some Forerunner maps that construct/deconstruct similar to H5 campaign but with more path changing events rather than just landing zones from lifts. Perhaps another map where sentinels are altering things during gameplay. Generally speaking such behaviours need to be predictable though, otherwise it creates imbalance in the gameplay.

There's other areas they could explore e.g. melee a Forerunner wall/texture type in a certain spot and a small horizontal cover constructs out for you. Alternatively a vertical version could be used for vehicle blockades on a timer e.g. gate style mechanics or path blocking by an on foot player in BTB/WZ.

Something to change gravity, lighting or radar conditions would be interesting as well, sort of like environmental equipment if you will.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
i miss halo 5

i feel like classic halo has so much more jank but halo 5 gets shit on for far less.

This same thing happens in Halo 5. It happened on stream in LAN tourneys. We also had a decent amount of ghost melees. There was also a an issue where bullets would be removed from your clip.

I think there's weird stuff in each game.

Last edited:

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new MCC menu screen for next months update.

mcc_desktop_inline-dba5b16639d244de80960f2ae85e4b2e.jpg

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/happy-halodays-2018

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
and another

EDIT: that is beautiful ^^^. MCC getting dynamic weather/seasons confirmed. open world confirmed.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
This same thing happens in Halo 5. It happened on stream in LAN tourneys. We also had a decent amount of ghost melees. There was also a an issue where bullets would be removed from your clip.

I think there's weird stuff in each game.
there absolutely is, and halo 5 gets run through the ringer for it, but it seems to me (without close inspection admittedly) its far faaar worse in halo 3 than halo 5 - and largely gets ignored/excused (again, without close inspection of data)

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
there absolutely is, and halo 5 gets run through the ringer for it, but it seems to me (without close inspection admittedly) its far faaar worse in halo 3 than halo 5 - and largely gets ignored/excused (again, without close inspection of data)

Maybe.... Perhaps So many people enjoyed h3 more so they were willing to overlook it's flaws. But it's also possible that your fondness for H5 makes you more sensitive to its criticisms.

I do remember complaints about h3 jankiness- people complained about the diagonal aiming (h5 had some serious aiming issues too), bloodshots (online and on LAN) and just general netcode nonsense. People hated how weak the guns were, the POV, and the random BR spread.

Also, keep in mind There's also things that happen on MCC that didn't really happen on 360.

But the clips we see here, "plasma failure" and "ghost melee" are definately problems that both H3 and H5 had, though I'd say the former was rare in both and the latter is much more common in H5. The ghost melee issue didn't happen at all in H5 until after an update then for a while it was so common I'd get at least 1 per game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.