• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
In terms of MC's armor, Halo CE > Halo 4/5 > H2/3. I guarantee you if we swapped the 4/5 armor with 2/3 chronologically people would be calling the 4/5 armor better and we'd be seeing it in Infinite. I had a lot of problems with 4 and 5's art style but Chief's armor wasn't one of them (other than being a retcon, should have been an upgrade).
I was going to post pretty much this but I'll just say I agree with every word. Hoping infinite can maybe dethrone CE for me, based on what's been said I feel like there are going to be some surprising/striking elements to it.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Halo 4/5 Chief designs work extremely well for the art style and tone of those games. And I think it's a pretty decent adaptation of Halo 1's "STEALTH FIGHTER TANK" thing to the new style. I probably wouldn't have an issue with them if I didn't think that the tonal direction that those games took was a poor choice for the series.
It annoys me that every pebble and blade of grass in Halo 4 gives off strong vibes of melancholy and hostility, but insofar as that's what 343i was trying to do, they nailed it.

H2A is the best Cortana.
Nah. The in-game variant is a disaster, it looks like a face and a hair and a body that have nothing to do with each other and just happen to be floating around in the same vicinity. The Blur variant is well-produced, but to me it doesn't really evoke the right character, it doesn't "look like Cortana."

jem

Oct 25, 2017
The in game H2A Cortana is awful.

Considering they nailed everything else about that game's art I have no idea how they let that version of Cortana ship.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Come on BTB, we got 5 together...no luck with big team but had some fun matching as two parties in MM. Would be nice for social to have the population or larger parties than team sizes allowed.

Killsational

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
USA
May I get some help with something? I am trying to find an old avatar a Bungie.Net moderator used to have. I believe it was Evilcam's avatar. It was Bruce Campbell from the Evil Dead, but it was in black, white and red. It was this image done that way. I have not had any luck finding it myself.

Also, how about them Halos? Those are fun.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
May I get some help with something? I am trying to find an old avatar a Bungie.Net moderator used to have. I believe it was Evilcam's avatar. It was Bruce Campbell from the Evil Dead, but it was in black, white and red. It was this image done that way. I have not had any luck finding it myself.

Also, how about them Halos? Those are fun.

Are you sure it was Evilcam? I've looked on halo.bungie.net with the old forums (now deleted) and the users on this same website, and I couldn't find something which could match your description: http://halo.bungie.net/Community/PeopleFinder.aspx?page=0&search_mode=0&search_criteria=Evilcam

This is Evilcam profile on the old Bungie Forum: http://halo.bungie.net/Account/profile.aspx?uid=1847514

Avatar is the Seventh Column. ^^'

Killsational

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Are you sure it was Evilcam? I've looked on halo.bungie.net with the old forums (now deleted) and the users on this same website, and I couldn't find something which could match your description: http://halo.bungie.net/Community/PeopleFinder.aspx?page=0&search_mode=0&search_criteria=Evilcam

This is Evilcam profile on the old Bungie Forum: http://halo.bungie.net/Account/profile.aspx?uid=1847514

Avatar is the Seventh Column. ^^'

Thanks for helping. I am pretty sure that it was Evilcam and that the avatar it's showing now is just the last one he had before then forums went down.

Tashi

Dec 17, 2017
I mean, he can't remember to stream so this doesn't surprise me.

I know you haven't announced anything except Austin, but is this the kind of format we can look forward to this year for the official HCS events? As in, a 4v4 tourny with fun events around it? Because I think the BTB and Snipedown vs Lethul events sound awesome and are a good way to get new and different types of game play on main stage.

Mmm, hard to say that outright but in-general we want to have more fun with the shows, make the events more entertaining for people to watch in person and at home, and mix things up. There's a time and a place for Halo World Championship super epic and prestigious competition but this isn't really the time or place for that right now.

Really pleased and honestly blown away by the response for the extra-curricular matches at SXSW - we've had the vision for some time now so it was great to get it all out there. Now's time to execute and if it all goes well and people like it, then I think we'll look to continue to do similar things where it makes sense.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The Flood are the enemy in the Awakening the Nightmare expansion. The Banished accidentally release them from containment on the ark, but reactivate the sentinels and stop the infection. It's only a brief couple of missions and there's no hint or teaser of another return after the credits.

The Banished as a potential enemy for Infinite is a much more exciting prospect than bringing back the Flood. At least they'd have tactics instead of just running at you.

The flood brainlessly running at the player was a lot of fun. It really highlighted the joy of strafe dodging non-stop, effective weapon swapping, and managing the battlefield on-the-go.

I obviously wouldn't want a whole game like that, but opportunities against the flood were like bonus rounds. And sequences where the flood was mixed with covenant, we awesome from a narrative/thematic PoV and a gameplay one.

The banished are exciting because having an excuse to fight more ex-covies stand to be more interesting than the prometheans will ever be... But prometheans are absolutely uninteresting, so that's not saying much.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Fighting the flood was so bad.

You can argue about strafe dodging and "effective weapon swapping" all you want but it's just boring game design.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

You can argue about strafe dodging and "effective weapon swapping" all you want but it's just boring game design.

Obviously that's subjective. It was white-knuckle fun for me. Strafe-dodging and effective weapon swapping obviously aren't actual metrics for fun- so it's not an "argument" - it's just something I enjoyed having to do when fighting the flood as a nice change of pace vs the more strat heavy fights against the covey.

I think prometheans are far more boring to fight... Like, exponentially so.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It shouldn't be that complicated to understand. Flood are just fun to destroy as they break apart, and it's interesting to use them against Covenant. Having the explosive big boi wreck everything feels good too. If you disagree then that's fine, but let's not make it seem like it's wrong to have that opinion, especially coming from the conductor of The Bad Opinion Train™.

Shotgun vs Flood is some of the most fun to be had in Halo imo. Plasma Pistol + BR is good too. And Pistol headshots on Grunts. These are probably my top 3 goodfeels with on-foot combat in Halo campaigns.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure how you can enjoy "effective weapon swapping"...

What don't you understand?

You were relentlessly assaulted by various flood-types, which all were best approached in different manners with different weapons . The sheer number of them meant constant ammo concerns. So, you had to constantly swap weapons making quick on-the-fly decisions about when to hold on to a gun, and when to let it go.

I mean shotgun was a no brainer, but autos were good for the little guys. Pistol was good for getting the pods to explode when you need them too. Rockets against a crowd is always joyful, but shortlived... Needler was useful if you supercombine the right guy at the right time. Your just constantly adjusting your arsenal without ever really getting a chance to stop and think about it and that was cool in conjunction with everything else. They felt like bonus levels.

I found that to a nice change of pace vs the more deliberate strategy I'd bring to the Covenant. I also find it exponentially more fun than the "use boring promethean weapon against promethean " strategy.

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't be that complicated to understand. Flood are just fun to destroy as they break apart, and it's interesting to use them against Covenant. Having the explosive big boi wreck everything feels good too. If you disagree then that's fine, but let's not make it seem like it's wrong to have that opinion, especially coming from the conductor of The Bad Opinion Train™.

Shotgun vs Flood is some of the most fun to be had in Halo imo. Plasma Pistol + BR is good too. And Pistol headshots on Grunts. These are probably my top 3 goodfeels with on-foot combat in Halo campaigns.
This I can agree with to a degree. The Flood have the best gibs in Halo. They're entertaining in a mindless kind of way for a short period of time.

Making the blobby bastards explode is fairly entertaining.

Want don't you understand?

You were relentlessly assaulted by various flood-types, which all were best approached in different manners with different weapons . The sheer number of them meant constant ammo concerns. So, you had to constantly swap weapons making quick on-the-fly decisions about when to hold on to a gun, and when to let it go.

I mean shotgun was a no brainer, but autos were good for the little guys. Pistol was good for getting the pods to explode when you need them too. Rockets against a crowd is always joyful, but shortlived... Needler was useful if you supercombine the right guy at the right time. Your just constantly adjusting your arsenal without ever really getting a chance to stop and think about it and that was cool in conjunction with everything else.

I found that to a nice change of pace vs the more deliberate strategy I'd bring to the Covenant. I also find it exponentially more fun than the "use boring promethean weapon against promethean " strategy.
I just don't agree that it's anywhere near as interesting as you're describing.

I found fighting the flood to be completely mindless. It doesn't really require any thought. It's entertaining for the first couple of minutes as you watch them explode but beyond that it's the same thing over and over again - there's pretty much no depth to the gameplay loop.

From a story/atmosphere perspective the flood are fantastic though. Discovering them for the first time in CE was amazing.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Against Flood you're not only dodging bullets, you have to dodge leaping tentacle sweeps, exploding garlic and bombastic fat blobs. You can be reductive against every enemy in Halo if you want ----- Just Plasma Pistol + rifle = ZZZZZZZZZZZZ boring mindless combat what a snoozefest Halo is lameee.

Sniper Flood in Halo 3 were wack though.

So basically what I'm saying is Halo plays best when all enemy types are used well in engaging combat scenarios, which includes how maps are designed for the player to flow through, the AI of said enemies, how the enemies interact with each other + their surroundings, the weapons available to use, etc. What I want for Infinite is to bring back most enemy types so there's enough diversity to fill out the campaign without one piece of combat feeling stagnant, which I think would be a huge deal for fans.

Jet Pack Brutes? Gravity Hammer Brutes? Standard Brutes? Standard Elites? Sword Elites? Plasma Pistol Grunts? Fuel Rod Grunts? Hunters? Shield Jackals? Sniper Jackals? Flood forms including big boiz, popcorn garlic, juggernauts and soldier-types that use weapons and melee attacks? Promethean Knights? Upgraded Promethean soldiers? Shit even Crawlers (which I found interesting in their own right because it felt good to shoot them in the face, seeing all their bits explode)? I'LL TAKE THEM ALL! There's plenty I haven't even touched upon, including vehicular combat.

What I don't want is for Infinite to just be another Halo game with just your typical Covenant enemies in situations we've experienced before. I want to fight a Brute again. I want to fight Flood again. I want to see Brutes fight Elites fight Flood fight Prometheans fight Marines fight fight fight. Give. It. To. Me. 343.

And of course new shit.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
This I can agree with to a degree. The Flood have the best gibs in Halo. They're entertaining in a mindless kind of way for a short period of time.

Making the blobby bastards explode is fairly entertaining.

I just don't agree that it's anywhere near as interesting as you're describing.

I found fighting the flood to be completely mindless. It doesn't really require any thought. It's entertaining for the first couple of minutes as you watch them explode but beyond that it's the same thing over and over again - there's pretty much no depth to the gameplay loop.

From a story/atmosphere perspective the flood are fantastic though. Discovering them for the first time in CE was amazing.

It's not really a matter of agree disagree... Its a thing that these engagments encourage/empower that I happen to enjoy in doses. There's really no argument being made.

No, It doesn't require much thought- it doesn't allow for much thinking. They pretty much toss out anything cerebral and replace it with pure action. That's why I like it. It's a bonus round.

comparatively, I prefer the short bonus round experience flood engagements provide, over the absolute chore it is anytime prometheans are onscreen. There's similarly little depth but no satisfying feedback or action to replace it.

I think the library is too long and Cortana is trash. But in general the flood is fun.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
ive always enjoyed the flood for the reasons mentioned, but mainly just as a counter point to the rest of the game - the tactics against the flood and the way you play are just so so different. its a good shake up. of course i say this but immediately it springs to my mind that most flood levels drag on far too long and kind of ruin this advantage they have...

if i could forever eradicate one enemy type from halo, i'd pick the prometheans over the flood every time.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
ive always enjoyed the flood for the reasons mentioned, but mainly just as a counter point to the rest of the game - the tactics against the flood and the way you play are just so so different. its a good shake up. of course i say this but immediately it springs to my mind that most flood levels drag on far too long and kind of ruin this advantage they have...

if i could forever eradicate one enemy type from halo, i'd pick the prometheans over the flood every time.

Yeah, I'd say there are a Couple instances where flood levels going on for WAY too long but that's a separate issue.

The sections with Covey's and Flood together are God tier.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish vehicle using flood were more fleshed out in Halo 3. Having to take out Flood controlled warthogs and Scorpions was an interesting but enjoyable experience in Quarantine Zone.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
WELL WE NEED PROMETHEAN FLOOD so their floaty bits can become little monsters and eat everything like locusts. and then, and then, and then

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish vehicle using flood were more fleshed out in Halo 3. Having to take out Flood controlled warthogs and Scorpions was an interesting but enjoyable experience in Quarantine Zone.
Oh boy, i just remembered one of the hardest things on Halo 2 legendary: the Flood who use the goddamn Scorpion tank. I can deal with just about anything else but those tend to be exceptionally difficult.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I want the Flood back, as well. I agree that some missions with them were too long and too Flood heavy, but other than that I really never had an issue with them. The Flood in the "Awakening the Nightmare" DLC for Halo Wars 2 is actually really impressive and it's something that I would love seeing going forward.

The cutscene starting at 11m55s (timestamp below) in particular... my god:

They would also make a good enemy for Firefight, just saying.

Last edited:

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I want the Flood back, as well. I agree that some missions with them were too long and too Flood heavy, but other than that I really never had an issue with them. The Flood in the "Awakening the Nightmare" DLC for Halo Wars 2 is actually really impressive and it's something that I would love seeing going forward.

yo that was so good to watch. fffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Flood should definitely return, I don't want them to rush them and the banished into the series at the detriment of story consistency. That was the problem with Halo 4 going into Spartan Ops and then to Halo 5 after Escalations.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I'm pretty excited to see how the Covie will look in Infinite. I get a feeling that they will approach every character model and mood on how they advised us they did it with the Infinite Trailer.

On a tangent regarding MP for Infinite; i almost want to bet there will be an online hub of some sort for the online shared experience i hope they implement. it would be weird if it was similar to destiny lol. Your customized spartan and loadout in the "infinite" Ring World with a maximum of 4 per party, 12 per server. okay im just getting way ahead of myself now LOL!!! ignore me

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna fight against some humans. Those Ilsa Zane scenes from HTT is the sort of stuff Halo 5 should have been made of. City in chaos, chief tryna figure shit out, insurrectionist showing up because fuck the UNSC, prometheans coming to ensure the safe passage of a giant death machine that emerges from beneath main st. That would be cool.

WELL WE NEED PROMETHEAN FLOOD so their floaty bits can become little monsters and eat everything like locusts. and then, and then, and then

I don't know about promethean flood, but the infected DBs from the Gears 5 trailer look pretty sick. Few games actually make shooting robots fun, but it looks like we may have one on the way.

Last edited:

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about promethean flood, but the infected DBs from the Gears 5 trailer look pretty sick. Few games actually make shooting robots fun, but it looks like we may have one on the way.

Promethean flood is impossible. The whole point of the Didact composing his knights and humans was so the Prometheans could fight the Flood without the risk of them being infected.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Promethean flood is impossible. The whole point of the Didact composing his knights and humans was so the Prometheans could fight the Flood without the risk of them being infected.

You know I still don't really understand the point of the composer, why not just use AI?

anyway, I wasnt really thinking of "infecting" the prometheans in the traditional sense, just floodforms physically over powering them, and forcibly using their bodies for combat.

Would never happen

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017

This makes me want to get into HW2, damn.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know I still don't really understand the point of the composer, why not just use AI?

anyway, I wasnt really thinking of "infecting" the prometheans in the traditional sense, just floodforms physically over powering them, and forcibly using their bodies for combat.

Would never happen
Well it's clear by that point the Ur-Didact was sort of insane by that point. It's hard to say if the Prometheans would have had any chance to defeat the Flood by that point.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's clear by that point the Ur-Didact was sort of insane by that point. It's hard to say if the Prometheans would have had any chance to defeat the Flood by that point.

I just generally has a lot of trouble following the Bear books. I used Audible, and maybe that's the problem, but the Forerunner in general seemed like absolute morons which was weird because they were the most technologically advanced people around.

I obviously get the idea of seeking immunity to the flood. But the idea of composing people to make flood-proof warriors seems dense, when you can just as easily program a computer to fight, and spare the lives of the men who would otherwise die as promethean robots.

OK maybe Didact is crazy and thats why he concocts this plan. But don't his warriors see how stupid it is?

Then, he composes the humans. Again, what's the value of composing devolved humans? They have no advanced fighting skills.

I might be totally off-base here, but I was so confused by the end of this trilogy that I couldn't tell up from down. Care to help straighten some of this out for me?

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Was the Didact in Bungies lore different from the one we got in H4?

What did we know about the didact pre H4?

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was the Didact in Bungies lore different from the one we got in H4?

What did we know about the didact pre H4?
Hard to say. A staff member at Bungie claimed that Bungies original intent was for Forerunners to be ancient humans but he wasn't even a writer. It looked likely that was the original intent anyway. The Halo 3 terminals and promotional comic Cradle of Life contradicted that plot point though.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to say. A staff member at Bungie claimed that Bungies original intent was for Forerunners to be ancient humans but he wasn't even a writer. It looked likely that was the original intent anyway. The Halo 3 terminals and promotional comic Cradle of Life contradicted that plot point though.

But the Didact did exist in Bungies lore right?

I read somewhere that the human were different species from the forerunner. I read also that they are the ascendant or ancestors.

How did bungie view the forerunners? And the precursors?

There wasn't any of this composer and prometheans crap right?

What about what GS said in the control room to MC? When he said " But you already knew that"
And when he said " last time you asked me , my answer haven't changed"

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
But the Didact did exist in Bungies lore right?

I read somewhere that the human were different species from the forerunner. I read also that they are the ascendant or ancestors.

How did bungie view the forerunners? And the precursors?

There wasn't any of this composer and prometheans crap right?

What about what GS said in the control room to MC? When he said " But you already knew that"
And when he said " last time you asked me , my answer haven't changed"

Bungie was ambiguous with any mentions of the forerunner. I feel like early in it was suggested that humanity was descendant. Towards the end though, it seemed like humanity could have be a completely different species, but somehow chosen to ascend following the fall of the forerunner.

The didact was mentioned in Halo's lore. But iirc, his motivations and hatred for humanity was all concocted post Bungie.

The ancient human v forerunner, promethean and composer BS was all written for 343, So there could be a new big bad for the new trilogy.

Last edited:

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Bungie was ambiguous with any mentions of the forerunner. I feel like early in it was suggested that humanity was descendant. Towards the end though, it seemed like humanity could have be a completely different species, but somehow chosen to ascend following the fall of the forerunner.

The didact was mentioned in Halo's lore. But iirc, his motivations and hatred for humanity was all concocted post Bungie.

The ancient human v forerunner, promethean and composer BS was all written for 343, So there could be a new big bad for the new trilogy.

So he also hated the human in Bungies era? Isn't he the one who called earth " eden" when he spoke with his wife?

What about other Didact? Like iso or ur and whatever? Were they also presents in Bungies lore?

Yeah , that ancient human , composer and prometheans BS was really forced and out of place imo. The dialogue between the Chief and the Didacts wife( librarian )? Didn't click with me. It's just so B movie sort of thing.

I really loved the terminals about 343GS though.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
So he also hated the human in Bungies era? Isn't he the one who called earth " eden" when he spoke with his wife?

What about other Didact? Like iso or ur and whatever? Were they also presents in Bungies lore?

Yeah , that ancient human , composer and prometheans BS was really forced and out of place imo. The dialogue between the Chief and the Didacts wife( librarian )? Didn't click with me. It's just so B movie sort of thing.

I really loved the terminals about 343GS though.

I'm saying as far as I know, Didact's hatred for Humans wasnt lore until after Bungie left. Prior to 343, There was no war with Ancient Humanity for him to have developed such a hatred.

As far as iso and ur-Didact, thats all post-Bungie. It was Bears novels that revealed the Forerunners cultural behaviors. One of their customs was For old-folk to "imprint" there consciousness onto young folk and basically create a copy of themselves.

Last edited:

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I wanna fight against some humans. Those Ilsa Zane scenes from HTT is the sort of stuff Halo 5 should have been made of. City in chaos, chief tryna figure shit out, insurrectionist showing up because fuck the UNSC, prometheans coming to ensure the safe passage of a giant death machine that emerges from beneath main st. That would be cool.

:( i should have put /s because my idea is so ridiculous and should have been the hint when i said it eats everything :(((((( i fail

Status
Not open for further replies.