• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
swx5hz1ne6z01.png
I'm happy this exists.

Beekle

Oct 29, 2017
So random question about a glitch I used to do in Halo 2. I vivdly remember doing it over and over on Lockout. Pretty sure I had rockets as a secondary and maybe energy sword as a primary (?) and I would do some sort of button combo/cancel and the rocket would come straight down from the sky and land on the player's head. I think to make it work you had to position them on a ramp slightly above you.

Any ideas?

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I think the masses play what their friends are playing- but the community building aspect of Halo 5 is all but non-existent. It's like the game systematically against assembling people with common interests.

I go back to the smashketball experience. People joined my lobby, but I couldn't talk to them until the game started. And since you spend so much game Started in silence you couldn't explain the game, shoot the breeze or even tell a guy not to leave you had to go pee. And when you finally did get some people you could socialize with, the lobby crashed and you had to reboot the damn Xbox.

Beyond the core social experience being broken, there isn't a modern search engine for UGC. If I like a nillapuddin map, I should be getting suggestions for other nillapuddin maps. I should be "people who like nillapuddin also like " suggestions. I should be able to filter my search results descriptors like "sport, aesthetic, mini-game, competitive", and flag content that doesn't actually match the description. The list goes on.

Halo UGC discovery needs look at what every social application has been doing for the last decade.

The current system is so far away from robust that it should be no surprise that the only way to get something noticed is through bootlicking.

Im sure you've come across systems that work much better than Halo 5, or Halo in general.

I mean, Spotify and pandora do a decent enough job suggesting music I have a high chance of enjoying. YouTube used to do a decent job of presenting me with content I'd deem worth my time. Hell, you even mentioned reddit- why couldn't a system like that be adapted for finding content internally?

343 should want the absolute best content to float to the top, and should be doing everything in their power to help that happen. UGC is truly where the opportunities to grow and sustain the playerbase lie. They shouldn't be content with pandering to the circle jerk.

you kinda just completely blew my mind, you are super right. I wasnt thinking about it in terms of being equivocal to those types of search experiences, but yeah we could have that type of functionality.
Well I guess part of it will need to be that forgers tag and categorize their stuff appropriately and the game will need to be able to parse that, but that would be exceptional.

Very true. The offshoot gametypes are some of the most important to Halo. The secret sauce is in Halo's diversity; it's one piece to keeping the community at large engaged.

I 100% agree, basically every single gametype that isnt Slayer is crucial to me.

Objective and "Mini Game" Halo are the best in the biz and hopefully the creative tools and actual legit dev support is there to facilitate all of those at launch for infinite, not these poor guys literally pulling their hair out 4 years later trying to script to the moon and back just to get 1-Flag, its insane.

Fun fact, I dont know if I ever posted it, and I cant find the file but I built these huge multiplayer competitive Pinball maps, it was really cool. Dunno why I never published em. The fact it was possible was so cool though.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
So random question about a glitch I used to do in Halo 2. I vivdly remember doing it over and over on Lockout. Pretty sure I had rockets as a secondary and maybe energy sword as a primary (?) and I would do some sort of button combo/cancel and the rocket would come straight down from the sky and land on the player's head. I think to make it work you had to position them on a ramp slightly above you.

Any ideas?
https://halo.fandom.com/wiki/Sword_flying

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
I mean my top bookmarked map is literally two turfs copy pasted together, meanwhile probably the best maps Ive ever made Relic, Highlands, Containment, Rats Nest, Smashketball combined have less than an early version of my Longshore that literally says LOOK FOR UPDATE in the screenshot

uMXHGMz.png
It's a shame we couldn't expand the H3 Throwback playlist to include BTB.

We might be able to revitalize a few of your maps by dropping 1 Flag into them.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame we couldn't expand the H3 Throwback playlist to include BTB.

We might be able to revitalize a few of your maps by dropping 1 Flag into them.

Halopedia: H3 BTB Playlist maps said:
Hell, between you and me we have 4/7!
Sandtrap and Valhalla already in MM, and Im pretty sure theres a really super good Last Resort out there, oh well.

and I guess technically most of my maps are Halo 2 or Reach, but yeah Highlands, Containment, Relic and Rats Nest all work for 1-Flag, maybe next game

Welp, crucial mistake, did a quick google search turnaround without actually looking.
Cant knock the hustle, halo fandom got their SEO on point!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Just Halo 4 and 5? I think Halo 3's are pretty weak as hunched lumbering over beasts.

Halo 1, 2 and Reach Elites are best imo.
Reach had the best everything, design-wise. Elites, Jackals, Grunts, Brutes, etc.... Best human, Forerunner, and Covenant environment aesthetics too. I don't dislike how 4 and 5 look, but everything got too busy. Infinite looks great from what little we've seen though.

Although, I do really dig Sanghelios.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The sooner people realize objectives will always just have a lower population, the better

I know it. Still salty about it. Can't help but think with the right execution or creative approach objective could return to its former glory and then some.

OBJ doesn't have to take the crown from slayer or anything but the spotlight and dev resources not put into zombies and goofball would be a good start.

Shit Halo could have a battle royale objective mode and kill it. Red vs Blue CTF.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it. Still salty about it. Can't help but think with the right execution or creative approach objective could return to its former glory and then some.

OBJ doesn't have to take the crown from slayer or anything but the spotlight and dev resources not put into zombies and goofball would be a good start.

Shit Halo could have a battle royale objective mode and kill it. Red vs Blue CTF.

Nope. It doesn't matter. The general public is simply not interested in playing Objective. You can adjust settings all you want, it's the mere presence of the objective that kills it, and then the teams that use objective to killgrind act as the worst anti-ambassadors for the mode don't help either.

You basically make a decision at that point of if you're going to try and get as many people as possible by making it like the regular game but with flags or bombs, or trade even more population away but have a small hardcore fanbase by giving it hardcore settings (BR starts, etc)

And if you want to change things to try and discourage killgrinding, you get grumbling from the hardcore crowd that that isn't CTF and nobody is pleased. For example, you could make 2-Flag 2 scores to win, which removes the insurance capture from the equation and allows the other team to tie you or come back, forcing you to win the game with 2 caps instead of going up 2-0 then going hard slayer because even if they get 1 you're still up a score and will still win. But people want it to be 3 caps because that's how we did it back then and you're back at square one, ignoring the fact that matchmaking should be about getting into and finishing games, not emulating the years gone Halo 1 lans because there are legitimately gametypes that work on LAN and don't translate to online. A 2 hour slugfest CTF match at a local LAN is fun because you're talking to each other, got food, even people will jump in and swap controllers. There's stuff to do that surrounds the game as it's happening. A long slugfest playing online via matchmaking after a long day of work that was decided 5 minutes in is a waste of my time. I almost never quit games, but I honestly can't blame people that do in Objective.

Even optional objective in a playlist when voting was around was enough to kill the population of it. Optional.

It's hard to even get people to play KotH, and that's basically Slayer But You Have To Be In A Specific Spot. Nobody wants to get a negative KD by holding the hill. Teams up by a significant amount will stop capping the hill and go into Slayer mode to squeeze the rest of the game time.

It is what it is. There's no magic configuration of settings that will lead us to an Objective Golden Age.

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Im sure you've come across systems that work much better than Halo 5, or Halo in general.

I mean, Spotify and pandora do a decent enough job suggesting music I have a high chance of enjoying. YouTube used to do a decent job of presenting me with content I'd deem worth my time. Hell, you even mentioned reddit- why couldn't a system like that be adapted for finding content internally?

343 should want the absolute best content to float to the top, and should be doing everything in their power to help that happen. UGC is truly where the opportunities to grow and sustain the playerbase lie. They shouldn't be content with pandering to the circle jerk.
Yeah, there are better systems than Halo's out there. However, I don't think any of them are actually good.

Spotify and YouTube only work because they have tons of data. As individuals we listen to more music and watch more YouTube videos than we play Halo custom games. There are also far, far more people using those services than those who are even aware of Halo custom games. Those systems also don't work particularly well for new unknown content, suggestion based systems work on popularity. It would just continue the cycle of what's popular gets more popular.

Reddit would be great - I think by far the best solution would be to make a semi-official "custom games" subreddit and just promote the hell out of it in game. I really don't think it's worth the effort to replicate those tools when they already exist and are easily accessible. Browsing on a phone/PC is also far nicer than anything you could come up with for browsing with a controller.

Also, that search tool does exist on waypoint: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/map-variants?

They just need to promote it more. Combine that with a popular subreddit and boom, you're sorted.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there are better systems than Halo's out there. However, I don't think any of them are actually good.

Spotify and YouTube only work because they have tons of data. As individuals we listen to more music and watch more YouTube videos than we play Halo custom games. There are also far, far more people using those services than those who are even aware of Halo custom games. Those systems also don't work particularly well for new unknown content, suggestion based systems work on popularity. It would just continue the cycle of what's popular gets more popular.

Reddit would be great - I think by far the best solution would be to make a semi-official "custom games" subreddit and just promote the hell out of it in game. I really don't think it's worth the effort to replicate those tools when they already exist and are easily accessible. Browsing on a phone/PC is also far nicer than anything you could come up with for browsing with a controller.

Also, that search tool does exist on waypoint: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/map-variants?

They just need to promote it more. Combine that with a popular subreddit and boom, you're sorted.

Having external resources is cool and all, but the vast majority is only ever going to see what is presented in front of them, in game. "You can do that on the website" is an insufficient response, imo.

Yes the more user data available the more accurate suggestions will be, but within the first few months, millions of people were logging in daily- that's statistically SIGNIFICANT. Certainly enough to figure out similar interests between players.

Yes the "popular item remains popular" feedback loop will persist, but their would also be an organic path to popularity from obscurity. Not only that, but with a proper system, you can tweak the algorithm to favor rising/trending content..you could also foster growth by using the progression system to incentivize engagement with lesser known content.

There should also be a robust author credit and author XP system in place. If the DNA of my work ends up in some other popular work, that should help boost my visibility as a creator.

I disagree wholeheartedly that it isn't worth the investment. If there were ever systems in place that actually highlighted what forge is truly capable of, this community would be enjoying some of that Minecraft/roblox growth. Instead it's best features are the most obscure.

Lastly, a perceived lack of "good systems" isn't a good reason not to try to make one. Remember when FPS controls were trash on console, then Halo came and created an industry standard? Remember when there was a lack of matchmaking systems, then Halo came and it became industry standard? Remember when Halo paved the way for UGC in console when they unleashed Forge, theater, and fileshare? This franchise's history is marked with setting the bar and redefining what is technically possible for the overall benefit of the industry. It's long past time we got back to those roots

Last edited:

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
yep. For the zillionth time, 343i's blind spot towards the potential of community content (essentially crowdsourcing content creation) is disappointing.

We're still playing matchmaking modes like SWAT and Zombies that were community-created gametypes in Halo 2. Halo 3 introduced Grifball and then ??? Prop hunt? Super.

I really hope they go all-in on emphasizing community content with Infinite. One of the strengths of Halo has been the variety of play styles supported. Players could go super sweaty or super goofy, or pick something in-between. However, figuring out how to design for all sorts of play-styles is a really hard problem for a few people sitting in a conference room in Seattle to figure out. So... maybe let the players do it instead. Because if you give them the tools, they will - and they will do a better job. For free.

If some marginal effort were put towards curating and spreading user-created content to the wider matchmaking audience outside the current narrow channels, it would basically be impossible to get bored with Halo. I suspect some of the current limitations are technical with the garbage fire of a content pipeline the current engine has, but come on, the trickle of community maps alone into MM is pathetic.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. It doesn't matter. The general public is simply not interested in playing Objective. You can adjust settings all you want, it's the mere presence of the objective that kills it, and then the teams that use objective to killgrind act as the worst anti-ambassadors for the mode don't help either.

You basically make a decision at that point of if you're going to try and get as many people as possible by making it like the regular game but with flags or bombs, or trade even more population away but have a small hardcore fanbase by giving it hardcore settings (BR starts, etc)

And if you want to change things to try and discourage killgrinding, you get grumbling from the hardcore crowd that that isn't CTF and nobody is pleased. For example, you could make 2-Flag 2 scores to win, which removes the insurance capture from the equation and allows the other team to tie you or come back, forcing you to win the game with 2 caps instead of going up 2-0 then going hard slayer because even if they get 1 you're still up a score and will still win. But people want it to be 3 caps because that's how we did it back then and you're back at square one, ignoring the fact that matchmaking should be about getting into and finishing games, not emulating the years gone Halo 1 lans because there are legitimately gametypes that work on LAN and don't translate to online. A 2 hour slugfest CTF match at a local LAN is fun because you're talking to each other, got food, even people will jump in and swap controllers. There's stuff to do that surrounds the game as it's happening. A long slugfest playing online via matchmaking after a long day of work that was decided 5 minutes in is a waste of my time. I almost never quit games, but I honestly can't blame people that do in Objective.

Even optional objective in a playlist when voting was around was enough to kill the population of it. Optional.

It's hard to even get people to play KotH, and that's basically Slayer But You Have To Be In A Specific Spot. Nobody wants to get a negative KD by holding the hill. Teams up by a significant amount will stop capping the hill and go into Slayer mode to squeeze the rest of the game time.

It is what it is. There's no magic configuration of settings that will lead us to an Objective Golden Age.
One problem of objective gametypes is the length of matches, which I think with some tweaking could be improved to flow better. 2 caps to win is a good example, I'd like to try that out. And if they ever bring back 1-sided objectives, they better have the mercy rule in place where that silly 4th round doesn't get played if there's no chance in winning.

Another change I'm interested in playing with is 75 or 80 kills to win in BTB Slayer. Often times matches feel way too long, so lowering the kill count could be an improvement. I imagine there would be an initial backlash against it, but maybe it'll play better in the end. In and out of games, less endurance matches.

yep. For the zillionth time, 343i's blind spot towards the potential of community content (essentially crowdsourcing content creation) is disappointing.

We're still playing matchmaking modes like SWAT and Zombies that were community-created gametypes in Halo 2. Halo 3 introduced Grifball and then ??? Prop hunt? Super.
Super Fiesta, or was that H3? Halo 5 Action Sack is probably my favorite in the series at least.

Riftball > Grifball

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

There are however more creative approaches, again doesn't have to be a replacement to slayer. WZ where there are mini objectives along the way to simply killing the team out e.g. bases have to be hacked open or doors bombed or unlocks for vehicles etc.

It's that sort of limited thinking that bugs me about objective. Dominion was cool but lacked the all out resources of something like WZ. Firefight could definitely be mixed up with various objectives; defend, secure LZ, establish communications, bomb enemy strong hold, stealth place portals for attacks, retrieve intel, gather assets to build/repair vehicles for combat. Mixing things up while keeping a slayer core or introducing more creative objective modes is a far better approach than just rehashing a new objective configuration/settings.

Also if objective was built on high quality maps such as Halo2/3 CTF you see population. Reach had pretty piss poor OBJ maps, Halo 4 did as well. To me WZ or BR modes could be so much more.

Look at Minecraft or Apex or Fortnite, so much of what takes the game time during a match has very little to do with the act of slaying or killing. They've successfully intertwined other elements into slayer and 343 could flex those creative design and development muscles to deliver something unique and very Halo feeling IMO. Clearly gamers don't just want straight up killing 100% of the time in all modes.

When you talk of PvE content there is far more breadth for objective too.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

I really hope they go all-in on emphasizing community content with Infinite. One of the strengths of Halo has been the variety of play styles supported. Players could go super sweaty or super goofy, or pick something in-between. However, figuring out how to design for all sorts of play-styles is a really hard problem for a few people sitting in a conference room in Seattle to figure out. So... maybe let the players do it instead. Because if you give them the tools, they will - and they will do a better job. For free.

If some marginal effort were put towards curating and spreading user-created content to the wider matchmaking audience outside the current narrow channels, it would basically be impossible to get bored with Halo. I suspect some of the current limitations are technical with the garbage fire of a content pipeline the current engine has, but come on, the trickle of community maps alone into MM is pathetic.

Honestly, Halo owes as much of its past success to the constant effort to innovate in the community tools space as it does to the core gameplay.

CE with its 16 players LAN support, H2 with the party system and Matchmaking, H3 with Forge - I think for a long time, Bungie realized that finding new, innovative ways to help people bond within the game was the key to success.

They really need to get back to innovating within that space. I really hope the put more effort into that then trying to find some new mechanic to get people excited.

I think the core vanilla MP experience needs to be simplified, and focused. But the community needs to be empowered to modify that into a multitude of things that can serve many groups of people with differing tastes- why try to guess what players want prerelease, when they got this great tool?

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One problem of objective gametypes is the length of matches, which I think with some tweaking could be improved to flow better. 2 caps to win is a good example, I'd like to try that out. And if they ever bring back 1-sided objectives, they better have the mercy rule in place where that silly 4th round doesn't get played if there's no chance in winning.

Another change I'm interested in playing with is 75 or 80 kills to win in BTB Slayer. Often times matches feel way too long, so lowering the kill count could be an improvement. I imagine there would be an initial backlash against it, but maybe it'll play better in the end. In and out of games, less endurance matches.

Super Fiesta, or was that H3? Halo 5 Action Sack is probably my favorite in the series at least.

Riftball > Grifball

Yeah. The lack of lame duck round detection has always been a huge downside of 1 Flag CTF. And generally the games need to get shorter. I don't know why they've creeped upwards so much, personal opinion but I loved playing stuff like Team Snipers to 25 in Halo 3, and when they put it 50 every game just timed out, and I never even loaded up the Snipers list in Reach or 4 because of it.

I think there needs to be some give and take between both 343 and the community itself on this front.

There are however more creative approaches, again doesn't have to be a replacement to slayer. WZ where there are mini objectives along the way to simply killing the team out e.g. bases have to be hacked open or doors bombed or unlocks for vehicles etc.

It's that sort of limited thinking that bugs me about objective. Dominion was cool but lacked the all out resources of something like WZ. Firefight could definitely be mixed up with various objectives; defend, secure LZ, establish communications, bomb enemy strong hold, stealth place portals for attacks, retrieve intel, gather assets to build/repair vehicles for combat. Mixing things up while keeping a slayer core or introducing more creative objective modes is a far better approach than just rehashing a new objective configuration/settings.

Also if objective was built on high quality maps such as Halo2/3 CTF you see population. Reach had pretty piss poor OBJ maps, Halo 4 did as well. To me WZ or BR modes could be so much more.

Look at Minecraft or Apex or Fortnite, so much of what takes the game time during a match has very little to do with the act of slaying or killing. They've successfully intertwined other elements into slayer and 343 could flex those creative design and development muscles to deliver something unique and very Halo feeling IMO. Clearly gamers don't just want straight up killing 100% of the time in all modes.

When you talk of PvE content there is far more breadth for objective too.

Stuff like PvE Objective is where you'll find the most success yeah. Big reason why Objective as population issues is the loss anxiety (actual term used in the industry at one point, although i think companies have their own internal name for it now) and pressure of playing the objective. PvE objective, you're not playing against other humans, so it's whatever. BTB Objective is also much better for people because of the 'lost in the crowd' aspect where the spotlight isn't on any particular person, but BTB inherently has population issues because of the number of people needed to configure a match, and once again, 8 person superteams killgrinding when objective does roll around.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps the most irritating bit of any Halo discussion is "just lead the market and innovate, lol".

Yeah, it would be irritating if someone said something along those lines.

Almost as irritating as when someone's only contribution to the discussion is a driveby post that takes a single line out of context.

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Having external resources is cool and all, but the vast majority is only ever going to see what is presented in front of them, in game.

Yes the more user data available the more accurate suggestions will be, but within the first few months, millions of people were logging in daily- that's statistically SIGNIFICANT. Certainly enough to figure out similar interests between players.

Yes the "popular item remains popular" feedback loop will persist, but their would also be an organic path to popularity from obscurity. Not only that, but with a proper system, you can tweak the algorithm to favor rising/trending content..you could also foster growth by using the progression system to incentivize engagement with lesser known content.

I disagree wholeheartedly that it isn't worth the investment. If there were ever systems in place that actually highlighted what forge is truly capable of, this community would be enjoying some of that Minecraft/rob mix growth. Instead it's best features are the most obscure.
I'm not saying they shouldn't invest in community made content. I just don't think a suggestion/recommendation driven system for this type of content is ever going to work. Especially not for promoting brand new content. Even with ridiculous amounts of data and tons of investment the likes of Youtube and Spotify still aren't that good at this sort of thing. Custom games have other issues in this regard which stuff like music and videos don't face as well.

I think 343's efforts would be better placed trying to build/promote communities dedicated to content discovery. That also comes with the benefit of actually developing the community. If everyone is finding their content via an algorithm there's not much of a community there.

You mention Minecraft, that game's content discovery is pretty much entirely based around YouTube, forums and Reddit. I'd argue a large part of the success of Minecraft is due to the communities created around finding, making and sharing that content.

Edit: also, by focusing content discovery outside the game itself you introduce the potential to attract new players to the game. People aren't going to stumble across an awesome looking custom game mode if they have to open the game to find it.

Last edited:

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
FyreWulff dropping facts.

So much room for improvement.

Ive had the same typically 6~ person play group since Halo 3, so besides Invasion and Squad Battle in Reach/3, we've played ALOT of btb. Beyond a shadow of a doubt OBJ is our far and away favorite, I/we freaking hate Slayer.

The number 1 thing that feels awful is getting stomped by a team of killers/being farmed, the number 2 thing I hate though, is being that team.

My friends and I try not to push when we can tell we are overpowering a team of worse players, and I hate that feeling of "shit, we probably made them quit the game for the night"

It's crazy loading in MCC BTB and seeing the game timer at 20 minutes, nobody enjoys that. I would prefer I think 12 minutes maximum, that should be enough for a couple solid warthog runs, sniper pushes, etc.

Edit: jem yeah Minecraft I would 100% find stuff on Minecraft forums and Reddit back in the day, Forgehub has existed all of that time and before, just for whatever reason it doesn't provide the same results, could be because of moderation idk, again don't want to get into it, in all my years I've never found the best stuff to be the most popular on Forgehub or Reddit, like Ryouji said I guess it's also a presentation issue, putting out videos etc, I guess that will always exist tho

Last edited:

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
off topic but my son is playing warzone on apex 7 - first time i've seen it since getting the x - and its fricking gorgeous now :O

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying they shouldn't invest in community made content. I just don't think a suggestion/recommendation driven system for this type of content is ever going to work. Especially not for promoting brand new content. Even with ridiculous amounts of data and tons of investment the likes of Youtube and Spotify still aren't that good at this sort of thing. Custom games have other issues in this regard which stuff like music and videos don't face as well.

I think 343's efforts would be better placed trying to build/promote communities dedicated to content discovery. That also comes with the benefit of actually developing the community. If everyone is finding their content via an algorithm there's not much of a community there.

You mention Minecraft, that game's content discovery is pretty much entirely based around YouTube, forums and Reddit. I'd argue a large part of the success of Minecraft is due to the communities created around finding, making and sharing that content.

Edit: also, by focusing content discovery outside the game itself you introduce the potential to attract new players to the game. People aren't going to stumble across an awesome looking custom game mode if they have to open the game to find it.

This isn't an "either/or" equation.
Social media is and always will be an essential part of helping circulate user generated content. But that doesn't alleviate the need for the game to internally support community building.

Minecraft's success is largely owed to the fact that creators could create their own sub communities via custom servers. That's a perfect example of the type of community tools I'm talking about. Rather than relying on the developer to dictate what community creations deserve time in the spotlight - let the community decide.

The role of algorithm would be to provide users with server suggestions based primarily on their own and their friends' play history. There would also be "featured, trending, new, active" etc. server suggestions. Players could search in-game, for servers that meet there needs - and subscribe to they ones they like. They could "thumbs up / thumbs down" maps they encounter - providing data to the server host, the creator and 343 about the contents reception. 343 could use this data to find content for their official playlists, rather than relying on biased competitions and insider sentiments.

If a player "likes" a certain map, he/she should be able to search for servers that host it and other maps by the same creator. We should be able to "follow" creators and get in game notifications from them when they want us to try their new stuff. Creators should be able to push updates to their maps that will update on any servers that are hosting them (once the host approves).

I dunno Man I think there's so much they could be doing in this space. I think in-game community tools are the unsung hero of the franchise's success - and I think it's the missing link in the effort to regrow the franchise.

When I look at things like Armor Abilities , Infinity, Spartan Ops, Spartan Abilities, and even Warzone, I can't help but think a better use of that effort would be to give players the tools to create and promote these types of experiences rather than betting the farm on new base mechanics and rules. Just launch with a tight, simple vanilla game, but let the community go wild and inform how the vanilla game expands.

But we should start with being able to talk in the lobby then go from there.

Last edited:

m23

Oct 25, 2017
off topic but my son is playing warzone on apex 7 - first time i've seen it since getting the x - and its fricking gorgeous now :O

The cutscenes look unbelievable on the X. If only they added HDR as well.

I just finished reading the Game of Thrones books, decided to re-read Cryptum and the Forerunner books. They were so good.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Accidently posted this in the xbox one thread, should have posted in here:

I'm doing a lan this weekend with MCC. Is it possible for the xbox one's to lan over wifi on my mesh network or do they need to use ethernet?

Status
Not open for further replies.