• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Once again I was reminded last night at how well Halo 5 plays and how smooth it feels. I love each game on their own merits in TMCC, but after some time away from Halo 5 and returning to it further cements my belief that 343 is doing something right.

I'm eager to see what Infinite plays like.
Halo 5 needs the modern aiming update

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Favorite Reach campaign mission and why?
A tie between Long Night of Solace and New Alexandria (and consider both to be some of the series' best).

Long Night of Solace
  • Unique settings tied together for a great sense of the beach-to-sky scale
  • The spacecraft combat is something I still miss to this day
  • Shades of the Silent Cartographer beach and Truth and Reconciliation in one mission

New Alexandria
  • Unique setting
  • I love the feeling of island hopping
  • Aerial combat in the Falcon, using it to infiltrate each island
  • Elite Rangers and Hunters utilized well

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I replayed Reach last fall. Middle school me thought it was way cooler and better than it was.

Long Night of Solace was a wet noodle of a level on replay - Halo 4's Midnight feels so much grander and tighter feeling. It's obviously a more guided segment, which helps, but Long Night of Solace just feels like aimlessly flying around for way too long.

I would die for a Halo Crimson Skies style game. The potential is there. Halo 5 not having a flight mission was disappointing.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Favorite Reach campaign mission and why?

Gotta agree with others. "Long Night of Solace" is a top tier mission. Incredibly fun, rich in variety and its scope is pretty big. The surprise of this mission would have been even bigger, if they didn't show the mission prior to release.

Close 2nd is "Tip of the Spear", though. I love how you have to destroy the cannons, so that the UNSC Grafton can move in only to then get obliterated by a Super Carrier at the end. That was one of the best "holy shit" moments in Reach for me. The vehicles sections of this mission are also pretty fun, except when the AI is driving.

Can't wait to play this game again in 60FPS and without the horrible motion blur.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see how you would forget but it had 2 flight missions. One was island hopping, and the other a trench run, but still flight.

I guess I should say I was very disappointed that Halo 5 did not have dedicated "spaceship" segments. It's not really fair to put the Broadsword and Saber in the same category as like a Banshee.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I found Reach to be fairly forgettable to be honest.

Long Night of Solace has that initial wow factor but the ship combat was pretty boring so I found it dragged on a bit.

I can see how you would forget but it had 2 flight missions. One was island hopping, and the other a trench run, but still flight.
Halo 5's vehicle missions were quite disappointing. The trench run was far more entertaining on foot.

That said the way the Sanghelios missions blended the on foot and vehicle sandboxes was pretty fantastic. Some of the few Halo missions which are fun to play both on foot and in vehicles.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
My biggest fear is Halo Reach is going to be like half forge MP maps. Are the time bringing CEA maps over? If so they should just put them in the general map pool with Reach

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest fear is Halo Reach is going to be like half forge MP maps. Are the time bringing CEA maps over? If so they should just put them in the general map pool with Reach
Its getting all Reach, DLC and CEA maps. So we should be fine thankfully. I am more worried about how they are going to handle bloom (I want no bloom in everything but BTB)

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Reach should have the new layouts for the Halo CEA maps, but I'm hoping they do a rotating CEA playlist with the original layout and 3 shot pistol.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with others that Reach's campaign is weaker (ODST beats it at its own Halo greatest hits but) but I'd pick "Sword Base" personally. Blend of vehicle and infantry combat and latitude in how you want to accomplish your objectives.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best level in Reach? Tip of the Spear, no way around it.
I've always had fondness for deserts and dry areas. Its got big battle going on in background, so it feels like part of a bigger operation. It contains nice mix of driving and on-foot fighting, plus even optional flying if you're careful (pity about the lack of flyable Falcons). Also starts with the grenade launcher!

Winter Contingency is also pretty good. Looks awesome, and having some driving is nice. Pity the driving area is underused and the combat there is weak (too small scale on too small area, firefight-ish). The ending is also a bit weak (plus i dislike the music there), and forcibly swapping the players weapons isn't fun. And unfortunately the Zealots are really dumb opponents.

I'd like Long Night of Solace if the space combat sections weren't excessively long, undynamic, boring and too easy, as it is, the space combat sucks out all the fun from the level. (I like Halo 4's space combat section far more, it is high-speed high stakes thing, reminiscent of Star Fox. Not much fighting due to lack of opposing fighters, but high speed trench run and avoiding obstacles is fun.)

I dislike The Package, i dislike its looks in the first section, i dislike the Scorpion (boring, too powerful yet also weak enough it encourages too much hiding and sniping), i dislike backtracking previously played level. The second half is better but the defense section is kind of falls flat. And the hyper-accurate Wraiths aren't helping any. Pity we can't explore the Forerunner ship on that level! Would've preferred cutting the Sword Base part and instead have use retrieve something for Halsey from the ship, or something like that.

Others are... OK. They've good sections, some bad sections, but nothing that particularly stands out.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
All of you picking the best level in Reach are spelling Long Night of Solace in strange ways.

Oct 25, 2017
Best level in Reach? Tip of the Spear, no way around it.
I've always had fondness for deserts and dry areas. Its got big battle going on in background, so it feels like part of a bigger operation. It contains nice mix of driving and on-foot fighting, plus even optional flying if you're careful (pity about the lack of flyable Falcons). Also starts with the grenade launcher!

Winter Contingency is also pretty good. Looks awesome, and having some driving is nice. Pity the driving area is underused and the combat there is weak (too small scale on too small area, firefight-ish). The ending is also a bit weak (plus i dislike the music there), and forcibly swapping the players weapons isn't fun. And unfortunately the Zealots are really dumb opponents.

I'd like Long Night of Solace if the space combat sections weren't excessively long, undynamic, boring and too easy, as it is, the space combat sucks out all the fun from the level. (I like Halo 4's space combat section far more, it is high-speed high stakes thing, reminiscent of Star Fox. Not much fighting due to lack of opposing fighters, but high speed trench run and avoiding obstacles is fun.)

I dislike The Package, i dislike its looks in the first section, i dislike the Scorpion (boring, too powerful yet also weak enough it encourages too much hiding and sniping), i dislike backtracking previously played level. The second half is better but the defense section is kind of falls flat. And the hyper-accurate Wraiths aren't helping any. Pity we can't explore the Forerunner ship on that level! Would've preferred cutting the Sword Base part and instead have use retrieve something for Halsey from the ship, or something like that.

Others are... OK. They've good sections, some bad sections, but nothing that particularly stands out.

Yeah while "Midnight" as a whole suffers from being the apotheosis of "oh god not enough ammo" problems in Halo 4 on higher difficulties, I don't think the trench run gets enough credit for finally getting away from the rut previous games were stuck in on that front.

To me "Tip of the Spear" would get more credit for its sense of scale if its opening cinematic didn't make you prepare for this epic fight... and then you peel off into an empty arena and watch all the rest of the guys just zip off without you.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really think the Midnight Trench Run is pretty damn good scene. Cliche, but good. I mean, it has excellent music, it is very high speed, feels urgent especially once the ship drops out of slipspace, and the final arena feels pretty neat, and finally the end cutscene is pretty suitably Halo, a crash as usual. Pity about the lack of flying enemies on the level, and shooting turrets could've been polished to be more interesting and perhaps more important.

I don't recall ammo issues on the level, but then again i never felt like i had that issue in the whole game even on Legendary, not any more than i had that in previous Halos.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
its not even may and my internet has become unbearable. its Wednesday for Christs sake! i cant play a match of halo 5 without throwing nades long after the throw animation has completed, hit registration from shots visibly later, melee trades after the fact etc. ugh. first world, rural cali, vacation destination, over-sold dsl problems.

cant wait fro summer vacation /sarcasm

Oct 25, 2017
Really think the Midnight Trench Run is pretty damn good scene. Cliche, but good. I mean, it has excellent music, it is very high speed, feels urgent especially once the ship drops out of slipspace, and the final arena feels pretty neat, and finally the end cutscene is pretty suitably Halo, a crash as usual. Pity about the lack of flying enemies on the level, and shooting turrets could've been polished to be more interesting and perhaps more important.

I don't recall ammo issues on the level, but then again i never felt like i had that issue in the whole game even on Legendary, not any more than i had that in previous Halos.

I think it's a combination of reduced opportunities for noob combos (which I've never liked as a necessity on higher difficulties, but c'est la vie for any game after CE save for ODST), the Knights having a period where you're wasting ammo on them before they open up for the headshots, the harder-to-read enemy ranks on Prometheans, and the more aggressive despawning of dropped weapons.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and the more aggressive despawning of dropped weapons.
That was an issue for sure but more as an annoyance than anything else.
Dunno why i don't have the ammo issue so many others seem to have had? Perhaps i play just different enough, or i'm more willing to swap weapons to whatever happens to have ammo whenever i could?
Maybe i'm just lucky? (I do have incredibly weird luck online, but doubt that applies to single player.)

I do hope they get around releasing the PC versions soon, i need to replaying stuff on Legendary and see how things feel this time around.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
i hope they dont show his face. keep it all off screen if the helmet is off and i hope he practices his MC voice lol.
Maybe he will neve take it off, just be the body in the suit peforming on screen. is downes confirmed for anything?

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for a different look at Chief, I don't understand people wanting Downes dubbed over Schreiber. Downes avenue is games, I want to see something a little different on the TV show. Of course he'll be taking his helmet off from time to time, hopefully it's not that often and they maintain what makes sense for Chief as a character.

Rebecca Ferguson as Cortana please! Stinkles

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for a different look at Chief, I don't understand people wanting Downes dubbed over Schreiber. Downes avenue is games, I want to see something a little different on the TV show. Of course he'll be taking his helmet off from time to time, hopefully it's not that often and they maintain what makes sense for Chief as a character.

Rebecca Ferguson as Cortana please! Stinkles

One day we can reveal our years of "head-casting" from the first conversations with Peter Jackson and Neill Blomkamp to now- often it's people who're not available- or that you're saying "this person when he was young in that CinemaScope epic" as pure stand ins for ideation but it's still a fun thought experiment and sometimes it's just the actor from the game or the archetype actors and characters who inspired them (Apone from Aliens, John Wayne/Eastwood etc etc) . Indeed we do the same kind of ideation for games- typically it's a hybrid "Paul Rudd's everyman charm but with Tilda Swinton's mysterious charisma and Benny Hill's magnificent physique " etc.

mreastman

Prophet of Truth
Jan 2, 2018
Reposting this from the other thread:

As someone who has worked with Pablo, I think this is fantastic casting. Dude is a great actor with plenty of range, but beyond that he's HUGE. I've never felt so dwarfed by someone in so many ways before. Unbelievably tall, has the Spartan physique (seriously) and just exudes charisma and class.

I think we're all in for a treat. Nice job with the casting 343, and Showtime.

Oct 25, 2017
Leaving Chief faceless in Forward Unto Dawn worked because he was a supporting character and it was about how others saw him (him being the only guy who didn't take off his helmet worked as a character choice.)

But if he's a main character and especially if he's significantly interacting with others the lack of a face starts hurting more and more.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, it might be nice to have him show his face first more, but less and less and the show goes on (assuming the show follows the Chief's life from training and onward). Kind of symbolic of the Chief becoming more and more a machine, kind of.

Showing Chief's face would be a terrible decision.
Not gonna have faceless super soldier in TV series.

IMO, they should get over it and show his face in the games anyway, we've seen nearly all of it in Halo 4 already anyway.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care and never really cared that they don't show his face or not so it's a non issue for me. Already have a rough idea in my head going by his looks in the books

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just imagine how wack it's going to be when they start marketing Chief standing there, holding his helmet on his hip. That's when he'll become just another Spartan.

While I expect his face to be revealed on the show, I really, really hope they don't do it in the games.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reposting this from the other thread:

As someone who has worked with Pablo, I think this is fantastic casting. Dude is a great actor with plenty of range, but beyond that he's HUGE. I've never felt so dwarfed by someone in so many ways before. Unbelievably tall, has the Spartan physique (seriously) and just exudes charisma and class.

I think we're all in for a treat. Nice job with the casting 343, and Showtime.

Glad to hear all that, sounds quite promising.

Leaving Chief faceless in Forward Unto Dawn worked because he was a supporting character and it was about how others saw him (him being the only guy who didn't take off his helmet worked as a character choice.)

But if he's a main character and especially if he's significantly interacting with others the lack of a face starts hurting more and more.

Agreed mate.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They can't continue the "John was robbed of his humanity and should regain it" plot and keep him faceless, just can't. Then again I guess they kind of dropped that plot in H5

Nov 14, 2017
Don't really see the need to go full V for Vendetta and keep Chief faceless; I think having him be a character who puts/keeps his helmet on noticeably more than other Spartans/combatants would work fine and amplify the contrast when he does go helmetless.

Also surely we're at the stage now where deep learning AI can be used to make any line read sound like it was delivered by Downes. Add it as an option on the digital/physical release.

Status
Not open for further replies.