• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BTB SWAT

giphy.gif

I'm assuming it was Stinkles that wanted that game mode.

No but yes

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True I guess, but it's not like Locke's squad acts like this either and they are still all serious minded military people. Plus, it's about the mood for me. If I'm acting silly as a player, then I want to be able to do that, but I want my spartans to be serious otherwise, but that's just my personal preference.
Dunno they seemed to joke around a lot. They do have buck after all.

I recall the spartan ops guys being pretty broey

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
True I guess, but it's not like Locke's squad acts like this either and they are still all serious minded military people. Plus, it's about the mood for me. If I'm acting silly as a player, then I want to be able to do that, but I want my spartans to be serious otherwise, but that's just my personal preference.
This is why I think that equippable emotes is the way to go. Let the people who want their guys to be super stoic super soldiers do that, and let the rest of us bump our chests or do the "come at me" gesture.
You could even have emotes locked behind outcomes, building on the way that the 3-man win is more over-the-top than the 4-man.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I think that equippable emotes is the way to go. Let the people who want their guys to be super stoic super soldiers do that, and let the rest of us bump our chests or do the "come at me" gesture.
You could even have emotes locked behind outcomes, building on the way that the 3-man win is more over-the-top than the 4-man.
The issue isn't what your own avatar is doing, it's the tone of having scenes like that at all. Saying that the poses would be fixed by being user-selectable is like saying that Armor Lock is fine because you don't have to choose it as your loadout.

If they're going to have post-game poses, they should go with the early style, because right now it looks bad with a bunch of spartans standing around like they're not sure what they're supposed to be doing. I'd prefer just cutting to nothing, though. (And related to that, scrap the current faux-canonization of multiplayer. These things go hand-in-hand.)

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The issue isn't what your own avatar is doing, it's the tone of having scenes like that at all. Saying that the poses would be fixed by being user-selectable is like saying that Armor Lock is fine because you don't have to choose it as your loadout.

If they're going to have post-game poses, they should go with the early style, because right now it looks bad with a bunch of spartans standing around like they're not sure what they're supposed to be doing. I'd prefer just cutting to nothing, though. (And related to that, scrap the current faux-canonization of multiplayer. These things go hand-in-hand.)
I'd agree with all or nothing, but I'd prefer "all." The canonization is fun, and takes away nothing from the people who don't care about the lore and just want to play (who are what the old status quo was essentially for). The only ones with reason to object are the people who do care but are embarrassed by the idea of their Spartan behaving like a "dudebro," which is solved by player options.

I choose not to address the comparison to Armor Lock because it's ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017

They're training exercises, not real ops. They're acting more like regular jarheads celebrating a win before they hit the canteen, and that's kind of the whole point. Halsey sees them as inferior to her Spartans because they're not the same level of single-minded discipline, but depending on where you stand that's either a feature or a bug.

I don't really want Spartans dabbing or flossing, but a level of exuberance seems fine.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind victory poses, but I just don't think this is how Spartans would do it.They're child soldiers who have been raised to be machines of war. They obviously enjoy and participate in some levity, but they don't act like frat stars that just downed a keg.

Maybe this is correct, but I honestly don't need the lore atmosphere in the multiplayer post game.

I think the value theyd get out of letting people unlock, buy and customize a wild range of post-game poses greatly exceeds the value they get it of trying to capture the canon Spartan aura in these scenes.

Also SIVs aren't child soldiers

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of, in Dota 2 they have a customizable "taunt" slot you can use during gameplay. It'd be kind of cool if you could bind a different animation/dialogue bit if teabagging's not your jam.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
I'd agree with all or nothing, but I'd prefer "all." The canonization is fun, and takes away nothing from the people who don't care about the lore and just want to play (who are what the old status quo was essentially for). The only ones with reason to object are the people who do care but are embarrassed by the idea of their Spartan behaving like a "dudebro," which is solved by player options.

I choose not to address the comparison to Armor Lock because it's ridiculous.
For me, disliking the post-game poses isn't a matter of embarrassment, it's a matter of preferring that Halo MP isn't packaged with a tone that doesn't appeal to me. In that respect, the current approach to canonization does take something away from me.

My comparison to armor lock was an analogy; I wasn't saying that it has a similar impact on that game, but that it's similar in that the issue is present regardless of whether I actively use it.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I hope the UI menu is so sleek with complimenting music that I just keep it on and enjoy HALO. Mmm yes..

*Aaah ooo aaaa A A Aooaaaa . Oooooo oooh oooh OoOOOOhoohhhh*

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
For me, disliking the post-game poses isn't a matter of embarrassment, it's a matter of preferring that Halo MP isn't packaged with a tone that doesn't appeal to me. In that respect, the current approach to canonization does take something away from me.

My comparison to armor lock was an analogy; I wasn't saying that it has a similar impact on that game, but that it's similar in that the issue is present regardless of whether I actively use it.
The act of canonizing the multi doesn't add any particular tone, though. If all you want is less fluff, a "skip" option would fit perfectly well into a player choice paradigm.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
The act of canonizing the multi doesn't add any particular tone, though.
The implementation details around the canonization do, the poses being probably the biggest example.

Actually, even if we're just talking about the canonization in terms of 343i defining the MP to be a certain thing, I'm not sure it's strictly true to say that it doesn't add tone. Conceptualizing actions as the combat simulations of a particular faction versus leaving things nonspecific or abstract does color perception, sort of. The lack of explicit purpose was sort of the theme of the start of Red vs Blue, for instance.

If all you want is less fluff, a "skip" option would fit perfectly well into a player choice paradigm.
It would, and one suggestion I'd have would be a setting that eliminates the pose screens entirely. There's a considerable perceptual difference between seeing 2% of a sequence and skipping the rest, and seeing none of something.

Although, I think the benefits of such options are complicated... It adds difficulties in controlling how parts of the user interface aesthetically flow together, and there are subtle benefits to nailing that. That is to say, even if I didn't like the pose screens and could disable them, if the interface was designed with their presence in mind then I'm not sure I'd actually prefer to have them disabled.

Last edited:

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Hey guys, I just need some validation. I feel like Halo 5's mechanics were top notch. I love how the weapons felt, charging, charge/slide, spartan smash - it just all felt good to me. Multiplayer was so damn satisfying that it made me feel sad that the single player felt short. This could have been an amazing game.
Halo 5 had great mechanics, but - due to it being the first game to have these mechanics, a generally reactionary fanbase, and a lackluster campaign - it's probably seen as more negative than it actually is.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, I just need some validation. I feel like Halo 5's mechanics were top notch. I love how the weapons felt, charging, charge/slide, spartan smash - it just all felt good to me. Multiplayer was so damn satisfying that it made me feel sad that the single player felt short. This could have been an amazing game.
Halo 5's MP is my least favorite in the series, but that's mostly because the methodical rhythm of the older games appeals to me. I think that it has considerably fewer blatant design problems than it's immediately predecessors of Halo 4 and Reach. If I enjoyed the controls changes and was fond of the audio and visual style, I'd likely consider it one of the best.

Last edited:

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I'd rather have fun instead of keeping it serious in a video game. Least realistic game ever to take itself seriously.

One word - "grunts"

Now... I want armies of grunts in infinite that overwhelm me with Mecha grunts yelling yibber jabber, all while I do some emote dance just to piss off anyone who thinks it's silly for a spartan to move in anyway other than a cold serial killer.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Customizeble victory poses, some of which are tied to hard achievements and accomplishments would be cool.

Stroking your epeen is fun

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I wouldn't mind this.

Here's how I think it breaks down, atleast in my mind: In Halo's 1-3, there was one spartan and one spartan only - Master Chief. And Multiplayer...multiplayer was basically non-canon as far as the game was concerned. You and everyone else was playing Chief clones rather than just other spartans, so I kind of projected his personality onto the rest of them. And it's not like the game didn't give me reason to believe that. It's only in Halo Reach that your Spartan was really YOUR Spartan. Not just because of the now fully developed customization options, but also because the canonical armor your spartan wore depended on how you outfitted him, even in the campaign. So, stuff like personalized emotes would fit there better.

Then Halo 4 came along and canonized the MP, where it's actually a simulation being run, but you still played Master Chief in the campaign. And even though Chief is a Spartan II, he's wearing Spartan IV type armor now. So it's like the game is using the language of the old MP's of the original trilogy where nothingwas canon and everything was silly, but you were still playing chief, but in actuality it's your own spartan that looks like you want them to.

Ultimately, this is not something anyone really cares about, including me, but...idk, I like MP having a certain mood to it, and the frat boy victory poses sat wrong with me within the confines of halo. But I can see others liking it for the silliness of it. And in the end, the MP always has bigger problems than this.

So, like....I think what your suggesting is the ultimate compromise with this. If I want my spartan to take things more seriously, then cool, but those who want to goof off can do so too.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Victory poses equals frat boys?

Damn, no one can celebrate a victory? I guess . Whatever. Just give me a dope BR and Carbine for infinite.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Halo 5 is among the most mechanically sound multiplayer games but the style the game presents is the exact opposite of what I want in a Halo game. I also think there are really problematic design choices that can't be fixed because they tried to fit a bunch of things into one game.

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 gameplay feels incredibly tight, but there are certain things about it that are problematic.

1. Sprint. Bungie tried to balance it by not allowing you to charge shields when you sprint. In practice this is just frustrating and the normal design issues of sprint still exist. Which have been talked to death here and in the community. The cons of sprint are all very important and far reaching design issues. The pros are quite literally "but it feels like I need it" or "it feels odd without it"

2. Clamber. It feels nice and cool to be able to parkour parkour everywhere, but once again it has stupid consequences on map design. Jumps are made with clamber in mind instead of just being... jumps. Clamber takes you into an animation instead of being able to shoot. Clamber should either be removed or should be kept but NOT DESIGNED AROUND. Keep it as a handicap for people that may have missed a jump by a little, but don't make a map and say "well you can't normally make this jump but with clamber you can" I don't mind it in the game, I mind when maps are designed around it.

3. Thruster stuff. Because of higher mobility... enemy AI shoots faster and more accurate. Explosions are bigger. You can escape bad positioning better. Etc. I'm actually very conflicted on if I like the thrust stuff tbh.

OverHeatQc

Nov 5, 2018
Halo 5 gameplay feels incredibly tight, but there are certain things about it that are problematic.

1. Sprint. Bungie tried to balance it by not allowing you to charge shields when you sprint. In practice this is just frustrating and the normal design issues of sprint still exist. Which have been talked to death here and in the community. The cons of sprint are all very important and far reaching design issues. The pros are quite literally "but it feels like I need it" or "it feels odd without it"

2. Clamber. It feels nice and cool to be able to parkour parkour everywhere, but once again it has stupid consequences on map design. Jumps are made with clamber in mind instead of just being... jumps. Clamber takes you into an animation instead of being able to shoot. Clamber should either be removed or should be kept but NOT DESIGNED AROUND. Keep it as a handicap for people that may have missed a jump by a little, but don't make a map and say "well you can't normally make this jump but with clamber you can" I don't mind it in the game, I mind when maps are designed around it.

3. Thruster stuff. Because of higher mobility... enemy AI shoots faster and more accurate. Explosions are bigger. You can escape bad positioning better. Etc. I'm actually very conflicted on if I like the thrust stuff tbh.
Bungie???

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean 343.

But lets not forget it was Bungie who set this mobility and map design issue in motion with Reach

Let's not forget the problems with making magnetism higher on hitscan weapons to account for thrusts and such. They might as well rename the magnum the magnet.
Actually the magnum seems more or less fine. I think its the most punishing precision starting weapon since the CE magnum. It is not easy to track and hit targets in this game. As far as MCC goes, I think the 5 magnum is harder to get perfects than the CE magnum.

In fact, one of the reasons H5 doesn't seem so popular is I think they went a little TOO hardcore. It definitely seems like the least accessible multiplayer made to date.

There are some magnetism issues. I remember that one HCS clip of a sniper straight up doming someone behind a wall because the other guy thrusted behind it.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I mean 343.

But lets not forget it was Bungie who set this mobility and map design issue in motion with Reach

Actually the magnum seems more or less fine. I think its the most punishing precision starting weapon since the CE magnum. It is not easy to track and hit targets in this game. As far as MCC goes, I think the 5 magnum is harder to get perfects than the CE magnum.

In fact, one of the reasons H5 doesn't seem so popular is I think they went a little TOO hardcore. It definitely seems like the least accessible multiplayer made to date.

There are some magnetism issues. I remember that one HCS clip of a sniper straight up doming someone behind a wall because the other guy thrusted behind it.

When it comes to aiming, magnetism makes the game VERY generous, across just about every weapon. Definitely not too Hardcore.

Imo what makes it "less accessible" is the very thing that casual fps fans expect out of a shooter- the movement options. You gotta learn how to crouch-z-strafe with a well timed jump-thrust in order to win 1v1s consistently enough to make it out Of Gold.

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to aiming, magnetism makes the game VERY generous, across just about every weapon. Definitely not too Hardcore.

Imo what makes it "less accessible" is the very thing that casual fps fans expect out of a shooter- the movement options.
I dunno man.

I'm landing crispy 4 shots in MCC but getting dunked on in Halo 5. It's night and day for me.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The implementation details around the canonization do, the poses being probably the biggest example.

Actually, even if we're just talking about the canonization in terms of 343i defining the MP to be a certain thing, I'm not sure it's strictly true to say that it doesn't add tone. Conceptualizing actions as the combat simulations of a particular faction versus leaving things nonspecific or abstract does color perception, sort of. The lack of explicit purpose was sort of the theme of the start of Red vs Blue, for instance.

It would, and one suggestion I'd have would be a setting that eliminates the pose screens entirely. There's a considerable perceptual difference between seeing 2% of a sequence and skipping the rest, and seeing none of something.

Although, I think the benefits of such options are complicated... It adds difficulties in controlling how parts of the user interface aesthetically flow together, and there are subtle benefits to nailing that. That is to say, even if I didn't like the pose screens and could disable them, if the interface was designed with their presence in mind then I'm not sure I'd actually prefer to have them disabled.
Confirmed: Old Halo fans hate fun.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno man.

I'm landing crispy 4 shots in MCC but getting dunked on in Halo 5. It's night and day for me.

Could it be because people are moving around more in H5? The speed at which someone can crouch-strafe is what gets me when I try to get back into H5. Then I gotta relearn when to anticipate jump-thrusts. And reaquire my feel for when to Sprint and how it ties into shield regen.

With all the games in MCC, I feel at home almost immediately. It's just circle-strafing and jumping... much simpler.

Last edited:

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather a screen with a more detailed stats showed up instead of dancing spartans, but that's apparently just me.

Also I like Halo 5, but it's difference in gameplay from the others in the series is definitely noticeable. I prefer the old style of slower paced, but more (I hate using methodical to describe the games, but...) methodical style of 2/3.

Tomash

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not forget the problems with making magnetism higher on hitscan weapons to account for thrusts and such. They might as well rename the magnum the magnet.

Halo 2/3 BR have more bullet magnetism and more range for headshot prioritization, due to it not being restricted to inner reticle. You can aim at someone's hip in Halo 2 or thighs in Halo 3 at the far end of red reticle range, and it will register as a headshot, it will even be signified with a red dot at the centre of the reticle.

@Aozolai's testing shows bullet magnetism neutralizing projectiles.

Halo 3 BR vs Halo 5 BR on standing target
Halo 3 AR vs Halo 5 AR
Halo 5 Laser requires more accuracy than Halo 3 Laser

Sniper is the only exception.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 2/3 BR have more bullet magnetism and more range for headshot prioritization, due to it not being restricted to inner reticle. You can aim at someone's hip in Halo 2 or thighs in Halo 3 at the far end of red reticle range, and it will register as a headshot, it will even be signified with a red dot at the centre of the reticle.

Halo 3 AR vs Halo 5 AR

How interesting...

I always felt the "thrust = easier guns" argument was largely conjecture with little evidence ever actually provided.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
How interesting...

I always felt the "thrust = easier guns" argument was largely conjecture with little evidence ever actually provided.

The evidence provided is the developer saying as much. Without it, one could only speculate as to why the weapons were made to be more forgiving, but the fact that movements in H5 would be harder to track w/o assistance is a reasonable theory.

These standing target "tests" are pretty useless, considering people don't typically stand around during gunfight.

He should Have a guy strafe at the edge of H3's RRR in H3. Measure the lateral distance between the reticle and the Spartan, every time he's hit. Then have the Spartan back up and do it again.

Next, Then have a guy strafe at the edge of H3's RRR in H5, make those measurements again. Then have the H5 guy back up and do it again.

Then compare results.

There's no way H5 isn't more forgiving, probably much less so since the tuning update though.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The evidence provided is the developer saying as much. Without it, one could only speculate as to why the weapons were made to be more forgiving, but the fact that movements in H5 would be harder to track w/o assistance is a reasonable theory.

These standing target "tests" are pretty useless, considering people don't typically stand around during gunfight.

He should Have a guy strafe at the edge of H3's RRR in H3. Measure the lateral distance between the reticle and the Spartan, every time he's hit. Then have the Spartan back up and do it again.

Next, Then have a guy strafe at the edge of H3's RRR in H5, make those measurements again. Then have the H5 guy back up and do it again.

Then compare results.

There's no way H5 isn't more forgiving, probably much less so since the tuning update though.
Whatever the actual metrics are, I think its fair to say aiming shots on target is harder in H5 than in any of the other Halos. I've heard that sentiment from a lot of people.

So to me, even if by the numbers H5 has more magnetism, its still tougher to hit people so what does it matter.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever the actual metrics are, I think its fair to say aiming shots on target is harder in H5 than in any of the other Halos. I've heard that sentiment from a lot of people.

So to me, even if by the numbers H5 has more magnetism, its still tougher to hit people so what does it matter.

I think this becomes more true the higher level of play, because people figure out how to, more consistently, make their avatar harder to track.

But your average player, and those on the left side of the skill curve are using weapons that have more assistance against opponents that aren't moving so well.

Its the same as with sprint- if you make adjustments that are in place all the time, to compensate for a state that is only in effect some of the time, then much time will be spent overcompensating.

Personally, I think the h5 mag has been in a pretty good spot all along - Second only to the CE magnum. But all the other precision weapons were too easy, especially at launch.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this becomes more true the higher level of play, because people figure out how to, more consistently, make their avatar harder to track.

But your average player, and those on the left side of the skill curve are using weapons that have more assistance against opponents that aren't moving so well.

Its the same as with sprint- if you make adjustments that are in place all the time, to compensate for a state that is only in effect some of the time, then much time will be spent overcompensating.

Personally, I think the h5 mag has been in a pretty good spot all along - Second only to the CE magnum. But all the other precision weapons were too easy, especially at launch.
Once again, anecdotal, but I had friends who didn't like H5 because it was too hardcore now.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Once again, anecdotal, but I had friends who didn't like H5 because it was too hardcore now.

I've heard the exact same complaint. I just think it feels Hardcore because even at lower levels, more people can be gods with most of the weapons- so theres more pressure early on in the experience. "Sweaty". Is what i think the kids call it.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I paid for my ticket by carrying y'all here on my BACK

:p
Who are you again? A Moose or a nilla? Which tier poster?

Halo 3 AR vs Halo 5 AR

Henery is somewhere weeping.
How interesting...

I share similar sentiments. Arguments saying how removing sprint from Halo 5 would "break" the sandbox have always been exaggerated imo because not only are there gametypes out there proving otherwise, Halo 5's gunplay still feels more rewarding than most Halo games.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who are you again? A Moose or a nilla? Which tier poster?

Henery is somewhere weeping.

I share similar sentiments. Arguments saying how removing sprint from Halo 5 would "break" the sandbox have always been exaggerated imo because not only are there gametypes out there proving otherwise, Halo 5's gunplay still feels more rewarding than most Halo games.
Agree except for the sniper.

That thing was tough to use in Halo 3 but you can just take heads in Halo CE, Halo 2, Reach, 4, and 5.

Only reason it was easy in CE was because you didn need to aim for the head when you could shoot super fast with no recoil lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.