• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
There are reasons to use those weapons. Are you genuinely unsure or just don't think the reasons are good enough? Reason I ask is because I know you think of these things critically, so I know you can name strengths of the BR and DMR over the Pistol.
but the dmr literally has the same mechanics as the pistol. its a single shot headshot capable weapon. sure the shot interval and reload speeds are a bit different, but if we had a rocket launcher that was exactly the same in function except for shot interval and reload speed it would be pretty clearly redundant. the DMR is already much too similar to the carbine for my liking. (which wasn't an issue in reach since there was no carbine)

the pistol in halo 1 was the ONLY non sniper long range headshot capable weapon. when its one of many such weapons it's got to fulfill a different role. its can't have basically the same utility as the BR when the BR already exists.

basically the BR would need to be vastly different in function and the DMR and Carbine would need to be gone before it would make sense for the pistol to have just as deep a clip as our established stable of second level precision weapons.

I understand that you just like how the pistol feels and its specific tuning, but I care about things feeling like they have a purpose. in CE the pistol was great, but it also had a clear purity of purpose. lifting that same exact weapon into halo 2 or 3 (WITHOUT changing any other precision weapons) would not. it would feel messy and hacked together thoughtlessly. that's not what i look for in game design.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just give us BR starts. The pistol is ok but I'd really love it if they made the starter precision weapon able to give you 3 perfect kills in one mag. Worst part of the 5 pistol is needing to reload after every kill, even mid fight.

Halo 5 has weapon redundancy but it is largely due to Warzone. Gotta get them reqs!.

My ideal sandbox
AR basically functions as an SMG or is removed.
BR starting
Pistol as a precision back up. No scope, but it being a pistol it allows you to draw it and fire significantly faster than another weapon.
DMR is truly a marksman rifle and is meant to be an intermediate between sniper and BR. Think Light Rifle scoped in. 3 headshot kill, more recoil, lower RoF.

Light Rifle and Carbine need some redesigns or removals. I do like the idea of the carbine being a higher RoF, more shots to kill precision gun. Not sure what to do about the light rifle.

SMG/Storm Rifle/Plasma Rifle/Suppresor these all need to be either cut or redesigned to have different roles. I don't see a purpose in the SMG existing if the AR exists for one. Storm Rifle should operate sorta like it does in that it has an absurdly high burst damage capability at the expense of overheating quickly. Plasma Rifle should be straight up copied from Halo CE. Make it slow you down as a base mechanic of the gun. Suppressor I have no idea.

Plasma Pistol is a staple, keep as is. I don't mind the boltshot retaining its shotgun form as long as its a map pick up. Just make it the Mauler more or less.

Brute Shot: Straight up copy from Halo 2. Bring back the bounce.

For power weapons in general you can go a little more crazy.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I love the light rifle for its RoF variability. it basically turns into a CE pistol when scoped. I can deal with both the carbine and DMR being scrapped, but we've seen the BR on the Infinite cover, so...
Pistol could replace the DMR's slot, tho.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
but the dmr literally has the same mechanics as the pistol. its a single shot headshot capable weapon. sure the shot interval and reload speeds are a bit different, but if we had a rocket launcher that was exactly the same in function except for shot interval and reload speed it would be pretty clearly redundant. the DMR is already much too similar to the carbine for my liking. (which wasn't an issue in reach since there was no carbine)

the pistol in halo 1 was the ONLY non sniper long range headshot capable weapon. when its one of many such weapons it's got to fulfill a different role. its can't have basically the same utility as the BR when the BR already exists.

basically the BR would need to be vastly different in function and the DMR and Carbine would need to be gone before it would make sense for the pistol to have just as deep a clip as our established stable of second level precision weapons.

I understand that you just like how the pistol feels and its specific tuning, but I care about things feeling like they have a purpose. in CE the pistol was great, but it also had a clear purity of purpose. lifting that same exact weapon into halo 2 or 3 (WITHOUT changing any other precision weapons) would not. it would feel messy and hacked together thoughtlessly. that's not what i look for in game design.

The mess is created by the addition of redundant precision weapons - not by the depth of the pistols clip.

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, but if they want to have so many weapons that are so functionally similar, then they need to at least have niche characteristics that make their inclusion worthwhile.

Maybe one melees faster. Maybe one melee harder. maybe one comes with a slight speed boost. maybe one is always silenced. Maybe one tags the enemies you shoot. There's so much more they can do besides minor tweaks to RoF and magnetism between analogues.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
The mess is created by the addition of redundant precision weapons - not by the depth of the pistols clip.

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, but if they want to have so many weapons that are so functionally similar, then they need to at least have niche characteristics that make their inclusion worthwhile.

Maybe one melees faster. Maybe one melee harder. maybe one comes with a slight speed boost. maybe one is always silenced. Maybe one tags the enemies you shoot. There's so much more they can do besides minor tweaks to RoF and magnetism between analogues.
that's what i said!

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly drawing a blank on how is balanced in H2A. Is it the same as H4s?

I think they are pretty similar now, but I think the H2A is better. H4 had an update (Quinn DelHoyo's work) which among other things buffed the AR (and incidentally, the SAW), but not to where the H2A would be later.

EDIT: Oops, left half-baked thought on accident

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the sandbox would do well with guns that aren't just "shoot until dead"

Beyond some unique power weapons, Halo weapons can largely be categorized as precision based or just damage based.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
To whoever said that Halo 3 had the best maps, I disagree. Terminal, Relic, Headlong, Waterworks, and Containment are all better BTB maps than any of Halo 3's in my eyes.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In principle, but you said it in the context of the pistol needing to have limited capacity in order to make room for redundant weapons.
Yeah, and while I've been wanting a greater quantity of weird and truly unique weapons for years, I think it's silly to argue there's no difference between the Pistol and other precision weapons currently in Halo games.

Going forward, games should imo be based around the Pistol and AR as starting weapons. The BR and DMR could be combined into a single weapon by giving the new weapon an alt fire switch between burst and single shot, or could make it a burst when unzoomed and single shot when 3x zoomed.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To whoever said that Halo 3 had the best maps, I disagree. Terminal, Relic, Headlong, Waterworks, and Containment are all better BTB maps than any of Halo 3's in my eyes.

Halo 2 had the best mix of maps. Halo 3 had good maps but a good amount of poor maps as well. Halo 2 had the absolute best map packs while Halo 3s were often disappointing.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Speaking of maps, I'd be interested to see if we could one day have a vote and try and rank every single Halo map and see what the outcome would be. There's a shit ton but it would be fun to see what the outcome looks like.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of maps, I'd be interested to see if we could one day have a vote and try and rank every single Halo map and see what the outcome would be. There's a shit ton but it would be fun to see what the outcome looks like.
You gotta do a general pick the worst and pick the best. Compile those. And then seed them in a tournament structure.

I'd seperate BTB and 4v4 too and not include invasion or other fringe modes.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Nilla already do this?

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and while I've been wanting a greater quantity of weird and truly unique weapons for years, I think it's silly to argue there's no difference between the Pistol and other precision weapons currently in Halo games.

Going forward, games should imo be based around the Pistol and AR as starting weapons. The BR and DMR could be combined into a single weapon by giving the new weapon an alt fire switch between burst and single shot, or could make it a burst when unzoomed and single shot when 3x zoomed.

There are differences - but the differences just don't make for compelling choices. It's all about dps and range when there are so many other variables they could play with.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but I don't really think that's because they're not good. Nobody played them, especially Monolith, because of H4's playerbase and map pack situations. I'd stack those two up against the upper tier maps of other games.
Monolith was average from what I remember, and my memories of skyline are getting constantly grenaded.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Monolith had a nice sky box. That's all I remember.

latest

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
In principle, but you said it in the context of the pistol needing to have limited capacity in order to make room for redundant weapons.
i was talking about that specific alteration because that's what funknown was saying he wanted. i never said that was the only way the guns could be differentiated, I said that IS the only way they are currently differentiated.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are differences - but the differences just don't make for compelling choices. It's all about dps and range when there are so many other variables they could play with.
Right, there are ways to make them more compelling choices than they are now, but they are still compelling choices in H5.

Last edited:

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I remember in Halo 4 literally being hyped when they finally showed a map that was symmetrical and could be played in 4v4 comp. Thats how bad the maps for that game were.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Right, there are ways to make them more compelling choices than they are now, but they are still compelling choices in H5.

Disagree. Of course "compelling" is going to be subjective, but deciding which precision weapon of to carry is always cut-and-dry for me.

When the game launched it was a no Brainer to drop the pistol and pickup a Carbine, BR or DMR. They were Essentially, the pistol + range and magnetism

Now after the update, i'd almost never consider dropping the pistol, for them. They are the pistol, minus efficient ttk and consistency.

Currently, the question is too often "am I upgrading or downgrading". It's too binary. They need to get away from simply tweaking dps and range.

LR and Sniper are the only precision weapons ones that give me any pause.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Currently, the question is too often "am I upgrading or downgrading".
I don't think any pick-ups are downgrades when considering the AR. I'll usually switch out my AR or Pistol for something else, more than likely the AR unless I'm out of Pistol ammo.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Halo 2 maps for life, not just symmetrical ones either.

You know what just fucking Halo 2 for life. Best Halo for me, apart from the rampant modding, cheating, bridging...oh wait. Even despite all that it's still Halo 2 all day. Clan BTB objective was the fucking best shit Halo ever had. 4v4 objective maps and just flag and bomb all the time was the fucking best shit Halo ever had.

I'll stop typing before it gets annoying.

EDIT: MCC has far too much Halo 3 and no population searching Halo 2. Shame.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question... why do people like maps like Headlong so much? I think it's one of the worst BTB maps out there, because of it's vertical nature. The Halo 5 remake actually made me quit playing BTB, until they added new maps.

No matter what Halo game it is, I just dislike vertical maps, because they never really play well, especially if radar is enabled.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any pick-ups are downgrades when considering the AR. I'll usually switch out my AR or Pistol for something else, more than likely the AR unless I'm out of Pistol ammo.

Compared to the AR, everything is an upgrade. Compared to the pistol, everything is downgrade. It's too binary, imo.

In my ideal world, every weapon would be worth consideration over any other weapon - not just due dps/range differences but also because of ancillary features/properties that alter states of play in unique ways - ways that don't allow such easy, apples-to-apples comparisons. That's what I mean by "compelling".

Halo 2 maps for life, not just symmetrical ones either.

You know what just fucking Halo 2 for life. Best Halo for me, apart from the rampant modding, cheating, bridging...oh wait. Even despite all that it's still Halo 2 all day. Clan BTB objective was the fucking best shit Halo ever had. 4v4 objective maps and just flag and bomb all the time was the fucking best shit Halo ever had.

I'll stop typing before it gets annoying.

EDIT: MCC has far too much Halo 3 and no population searching Halo 2. Shame.

You aren't lying. H2 was just straight up fun- cheaters and griefers be damned.

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pitfall and Haven though.
Well Pitfall is just the Pit. If we are rating maps I would get rid of remakes too especially if its obvious if either the remake or the original will be clearly better. Might need a seperate poll to rank the best version of each map. The originals would win most of the time but I do think there are some remakes that I view more fondly than the originals. Mostly a Halo 2 version > Halo CE version tho.

Beaver Creek > Battle Creek
Warlock > Wizard
Elongation > Longest

I don't think I'd consider Valhalla, Avalanche, or Gaurdian remakes.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well Pitfall is just the Pit. If we are rating maps I would get rid of remakes too especially if its obvious if either the remake or the original will be clearly better. Might need a seperate poll to rank the best version of each map. The originals would win most of the time but I do think there are some remakes that I view more fondly than the originals. Mostly a Halo 2 version > Halo CE version tho.

Beaver Creek > Battle Creek
Warlock > Wizard
Elongation > Longest

I don't think I'd consider Valhalla, Avalanche, or Gaurdian remakes.

I would maybe consider combining maps in some cases in potential ratings. Heretic and Midship are identical and maybe someone voting has only played one or the other.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Monolith is a genuinely good map.

It's also gorgeous, one of the best looking maps in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.