• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I wish multiplayer was like this, the longer you played multi the more worn your armour and progression got. You'd tell at a glance who is battle hardened and who's a shiny styling noob.

How about inside of each game!?

At start of match everyone is shiny, the more you die the dirtier you get, if you never die you are still shiny and chrome at the end, that would be cool.

I know it doesn't make sense, but fuck it, it's a video game. Maybe like 4 death thresholds for scuffs and dirty spots.

0 Factory sealed
1-4
5-9
10+ Halo Reach

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, by that definition they're not even starts.

I can't say I've ever seen "uneven starts" defined in that way though.

I've only ever seen "even starts" defined as every player starting with the exact same weapons and attributes. No one has any inherent advantage or disadvantage compared to anyone else.

"Uneven starts" would be be when players spawn with advantages and disadvantages. People being able to choose their advantages and disadvantages doesn't change the fact that disparities exist at the start of the match.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would make more sense if you accumulated damage the longer you stayed alive as you took damage and you spawned in without damage. So I would reverse it.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If they did the visual damage, it'd be fun if some of the damage was indicative of what happened to you in the match.

Got headshotted? Helmet's glass is cracked

Got splattered? You have tire tracks on your torso

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That could honestly be a lot of fun - subtle, but a little visual variety and storytelling within each match.
I think it would make more sense if you accumulated damage the longer you stayed alive as you took damage and you spawned in without damage. So I would reverse it.

I just liked the idea of people knowing you are hard to kill due to how clean your armor is.

Higher K/D is more clean.

Even if they don't do something this clever it would be nice to have varying levels of dirt and damage as customization options.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How about inside of each game!?

At start of match everyone is shiny, the more you die the dirtier you get, if you never die you are still shiny and chrome at the end, that would be cool.

I know it doesn't make sense, but fuck it, it's a video game. Maybe like 4 death thresholds for scuffs and dirty spots.

0 Factory sealed
1-4
5-9
10+ Halo Reach

Love it and the scale would make an interesting per game badge in the post carnage report as well. Yep chalk this one up to having fun in a video game, I'd sort of like to see more of that out of 343 e.g. mecha grunt in FF was better than just about any map in arena.

If they did the visual damage, it'd be fun if some of the damage was indicative of what happened to you in the match.

Got headshotted? Helmet's glass is cracked

Got splattered? You have tire tracks on your torso

One can wish, this should be the sort of standard for next gen. Perhaps a little hero stance screengrab from the last match shown as a thumbnail when you enter your next match, cool way to show off how you're currently playing with a specific stat metric.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
I just downloaded MCC again and noticed that H2A is performing horrid now (one X). What gives? It was perfectly fine before, but now there are massive framedrops.

Wanted to give Reach a spin but I can barely hear the gunshots.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Lol everyone got significantly worse in social Reach now. Hope these AR fools enjoy getting stomped on.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol everyone got significantly worse in social Reach now. Hope these AR fools enjoy getting stomped on.

I'm not great at Reach, but the other day I was in a social Team Snipers match on Countdown where within seconds their whole team ran in a straight line

I got a First Blood Triple Kill

My only thought was "Why?!?"

Someone decent with the sniper could have done an extermination with 2 shots lol

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
Yeah, I haven't had any issues either. I haven't played on every H2A map since Reach came out though, so maybe it's map-specific? You could always try to hard reset your xbox, I've seen that fix random issues.

I still have the physical disc but I redownloaded it through gamepass. Not sure if that might cause it.

I'll try the hard reset!

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This thread sucks. Somebody talk about something, jesus........

jem, throw an opinion out there. Let's get this controversy going.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or does Reach tend to have the worst spawn locations out of all the Halos?

That shit is egregiously bad at times, especially on something like SWAT

jem

Oct 25, 2017
This thread sucks. Somebody talk about something, jesus........

jem, throw an opinion out there. Let's get this controversy going.
Halo CE's campaign level design is overrated (as a whole)*.

It has a few absolute classics mixed in with some of the least interesting levels in the series. There are far too many sections which literally consist of long periods of copy and paste corridors. Also, a lot of the more open areas too sparse and fairly bland.

I replayed it this summer and a lot of the game was a bit of a slog.

*The praise which levels like Halo and The Silent Cartographer recieve are more than deserved though.

Last edited:

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It has a few absolute classics mixed in with some of the least interesting levels in the series. There are far too many sections which literally consist of long periods of copy and paste corridors.

*The praise which levels like Halo and The Silent Cartographer recieve are more than deserved though.

I do not look forward to The Library or Keyes on any CE playthrough because they feel like repetitive slogs

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It has a few absolute classics mixed in with some of the least interesting levels in the series. There are far too many sections which literally consist of long periods of copy and paste corridors.

To me, even The Library was fun because the gameplay mechanics and physics sandbox are so damn fun that it never really felt like a slog.

Not controversial enough tho. Try again.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
To me, even The Library was fun because the gameplay mechanics and physics sandbox are so damn fun that it never really felt like a slog.

Not controversial enough tho. Try again.
I mean, the gameplay is still fun but that doesn't change the fact that the level design itself is incredibly repetitive and generally bland.

Surely you can look beyond the gameplay and see that. It's literally the same set of fairly sparse corridors repeated multiple times.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

It has a few absolute classics mixed in with some of the least interesting levels in the series. There are far too many sections which literally consist of long periods of copy and paste corridors. Also, a lot of the more open areas too sparse and fairly bland.

I can see that. The Library is not exactly fun, but I'd say it's more of a case of Flood swarms not being fun to fight. I do have a problem with it having two copy-pasted levels which you have to beat again in reverse like it was a Castlevania game. Kid me didn't mind that a lot or the repetitious level design - and to a point, present me don't mind it as much as I could because the gameplay loop is so rewarding.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the gameplay is still fun but that doesn't change the fact that the level design itself is incredibly repetitive and generally bland.

Surely you can look beyond the gameplay and see that. It's literally the same set of fairly sparse corridors repeated multiple times.
If you're trying to goat me into generalizing the level design of CE as bland and boring, well.. you can try again.

However, yes -- it is a fact that repeated hallways, corridors and encounters are used, much like every other game.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
If you're trying to goat me into generalizing the level design of CE as bland and boring, well.. you can try again.

However, yes -- it is a fact that repeated hallways, corridors and encounters are used, much like every other game.
I was referring specifically to The Library in that post.

In general CE's level design is great - however, it has enough sections of said boring and repetitive corridors that overall I think it is overrated.

Also not every game has repeated hallways and corridors - certainly not the the extent of CE. Halo 5 for example has few to none. Even Halo 2 doesn't have anything approaching the level of repetitiveness seen within some parts of CE - the second half of Truth and Reconciliation for example can be painful.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Truth and Reconciliation is a favorite of mine. Loved the beginning of that level. Snipe, infiltrate and DESTROY SPARTAN! lol

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Truth and Reconciliation is a favorite of mine. Loved the beginning of that level. Snipe, infiltrate and DESTROY SPARTAN! lol
Truth and Reconciliation is a perfect example of how incredibly inconsistent CE's level design is.

The start is incredible, the build up to entering the ship is some of my favourite Halo gameplay.

It all falls apart when you actually get into the ship though. It's a maze of repetitive and featureless corridors for the most part.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Truth and Reconciliation is a perfect example of how incredibly inconsistent CE's level design is.

The start is incredible, the build up to entering the ship is some of my favourite Halo gameplay.

It all falls apart when you actually get into the ship though. It's a maze of repetitive and featureless corridors for the most part.
Yeah, once i was inside, i wanted to just quite the level. LOL

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
How would you like campaigns to be designed in future Halo's.

With all the excitement around the new CPUs and SSDs, I hear a lot of people talking about how it'll benefit wide-linear and open world games. That kinda makes me worry about the future of campaign level design.

Should be expecting Halo to move towards a wide-linear approach or open world approach? Or should we expect to keep going forward with carefully crafted levels that allow for some experimentation, but still herd us through the developers intended experience?

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was referring specifically to The Library in that post.

In general CE's level design is great - however, it has enough sections of said boring and repetitive corridors that overall I think it is overrated.

Also not every game has repeated hallways and corridors - certainly not the the extent of CE. Halo 5 for example has few to none. Even Halo 2 doesn't have anything approaching the level of repetitiveness seen within some parts of CE - the second half of Truth and Reconciliation for example can be painful.
Repeated encounters was included in that. My point is there are repeated elements in every game, many of which can be grating to the overall experience, like the Warden Eternal in H5 or basic encounter/enemy design in other games.

But yeah, I can't fault you for having those experiences. For me though, the second half of Truth and Reconciliation was not tiring at all. It's just my belief that if the core gameplay is fun (and revolutionary at CE's time of release), I'm less bothered by other things.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
How would you like campaigns to be designed in future Halo's.

With all the excitement around the new CPUs and SSDs, I hear a lot of people talking about how it'll benefit wide-linear and open world games. That kinda makes me worry about the future of campaign level design.

Should be expecting Halo to move towards a wide-linear approach or open world approach? Or should we expect to keep going forward with carefully crafted levels that allow for some experimentation, but still herd us through the developers intended experience?
Crysis.
Repeated encounters was included in that. My point is there are repeated elements in every game, many of which can be grating to the overall experience, like the Warden Eternal in H5 or basic encounter/enemy design in other games.

But yeah, I can't fault you for having those experiences. For me though, the second half of Truth and Reconciliation was not tiring at all. It's just my belief that if the core gameplay is fun (and revolutionary at CE's time of release), I'm less bothered by other things.
Of course, I was never saying that CE isn't fun. My point was that often in CE I'm enjoying the game despite the level design. Hence why I think it's overrated.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My ideal campaign experience would probably look heavily at Halo, The Silent Cartographer, and The Storm (H3) for inspiration.

The large open battlefields give an awesome sense of scale, while you still do blend in some smaller-space linear action

Funny enough, I did a little research on the Halo wiki to remind myself which are the missions I've enjoyed the most, and I don't think H4, H5, or H:R had anything like The Storm, did they? I'm going to have to replay these campaigns sometime soon because I don't remember them too fondly

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CE is generally great except when you get indoors. The repeating and confusing environments are brutal. Silent Cartographer was the only indoor section I enjoyed tbh. Had a great sense of verticality and then you had to fight out.

While the Library may seem boring from a design standpoint I actually love that level. It plays like a Quake or Doom level. You are just CONSTANTLY on the run from seemingly endless flood. It's very fast paced action.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
My ideal campaign experience would probably look heavily at Halo, The Silent Cartographer, and The Storm (H3) for inspiration.

The large open battlefields give an awesome sense of scale, while you still do blend in some smaller-space linear action

Funny enough, I did a little research on the Halo wiki to remind myself which are the missions I've enjoyed the most, and I don't think H4, H5, or H:R had anything like The Storm, did they? I'm going to have to replay these campaigns sometime soon because I don't remember them too fondly

Honestly, it's kinda upsetting that we don't see more levels like this... not just in Halo but in shooters in general.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017

Crazy. I was just going through some of my bookmarks from the old site a few days ago and one of those bookmarks was a discussion about The Storm and how Reach didn't offer any missions similar to it.

And the answer is not really. The Storm is still a pretty unique experience within the franchise. Halo 4 and 5 lack sandbox-y styled encounters. A lot of them are "infantry only" or they throw so many enemies at you that not having a vehicle is just gimping yourself. The only mission where it's fun to be on foot instead of a vehicle that I can think of in H4 or 5 is Reunion in Halo 5 during the Phaeton section.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy. I was just going through some of my bookmarks from the old site a few days ago and one of those bookmarks was a discussion about The Storm and how Reach didn't offer any missions similar to it.

And the answer is not really. The Storm is still a pretty unique experience within the franchise. Halo 4 and 5 lack sandbox-y styled encounters. A lot of them are "infantry only" or they throw so many enemies at you that not having a vehicle is just gimping yourself. The only mission where it's fun to be on foot instead of a vehicle that I can think of in H4 or 5 is Reunion in Halo 5 during the Phaeton section.

Haha what weird timing then!

If you go back and check the 2018 announcement trailer, it does seem to hint at large expansive areas making a return, so maybe we're in for a treat with Infinite.

There's also a scene with a misty forest. Having a large woodland as a mission area would be interesting

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
DBF96084FB7086404B251488350EA5338228B732

tenor.gif

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Believe it or not I've never actually gotten into crisis. Care to talk about about that game's narrative and level design would fit into halo?

The core narrative/mission structure is very much standard fare to be honest. You have missions bookended by cutscenes and you get radio chatter during said missions - it does take some inspiration from the likes of Half Life in that all cutscenes are first person though.

The level design (and in combination, the sandbox) on the other hand is fantastic.

It's wide linear with a few more constrained missions, however IIRC, you often get levels where there are multiple objectives in an area which can be completed in any order. The levels can be very wide but they're also densely packed. Each level was a big sandbox to play with - it wasn't just a large open field with some rocks dotted around which had to be crossed from one side to the other.

For example, one of the early levels has an entire fortified village/small town which you can approach from any direction and is entirely open to you. How you go about breaking into the town is entirely up to you.

You could climb a nearby hill, capture an enemy watchtower which stands at the top, recon the town from there and then steal their sniper to take out a bunch of the enemy at a distance.

You could go in guns blazing and literally punch your way through the walls.

You could steal an enemy jeep and storm the checkpoint gates.

You could go stealthily and try and find a hidden entrance.

You could even steal an enemy boat, go out to sea, fight off some sharks then use the boat's mounted guns to provide a coastal bombardment before continuing on your water journey to land and attack from the less fortified rear side.

It was genuinely a fantastic game. If you a decent PC I highly recommend picking it up. It's almost a shame that so much focus was put on how incredible the graphics were because people forgot that there was a really good game hidden underneath.

Also, it throws some serious curve balls as well - whilst the success of said curve balls are somewhat debatable it's none the less quite impressive. Mid game spoilers below:

At about half way through you get to enter a crashed alien ship - however, there's no gravity inside. Crytek went all out with this going as far as to create a flying system for 0G. What this means is that there is literally no "up" in this level. You have to fly around this disorientating alien maze. Gameplay wise it can actually be pretty frustrating and unpleasant - however, it's a really cool twist and some very clever level design.

Edit: Fuck it, I'm gunna buy the BC version now.

One of the Sanghelios missions provides a good blend sandboxy blend of vehicles and on for combat.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
The core narrative/mission structure is very much standard fare to be honest. You have missions bookended by cutscenes and you get radio chatter during said missions - it does take some inspiration from the likes of Half Life in that all cutscenes are first person though.

The level design (and in combination, the sandbox) on the other hand is fantastic.

It's wide linear with a few more constrained missions, however IIRC, you often get levels where there are multiple objectives in an area which can be completed in any order. The levels can be very wide but they're also densely packed. Each level was a big sandbox to play with - it wasn't just a large open field with some rocks dotted around which had to be crossed from one side to the other.

For example, one of the early levels has an entire fortified village/small town which you can approach from any direction and is entirely open to you. How you go about breaking into the town is entirely up to you.

You could climb a nearby hill, capture an enemy watchtower which stands at the top, recon the town from there and then steal their sniper to take out a bunch of the enemy at a distance.

You could go in guns blazing and literally punch your way through the walls.

You could steal an enemy jeep and storm the checkpoint gates.

You could go stealthily and try and find a hidden entrance.

You could even steal an enemy boat, go out to sea, fight off some sharks then use the boat's mounted guns to provide a coastal bombardment before continuing on your water journey to land and attack from the less fortified rear side.

It was genuinely a fantastic game. If you a decent PC I highly recommend picking it up. It's almost a shame that so much focus was put on how incredible the graphics were because people forgot that there was a really good game hidden underneath.

Also, it throws some serious curve balls as well - whilst the success of said curve balls are somewhat debatable it's none the less quite impressive. Mid game spoilers below:

At about half way through you get to enter a crashed alien ship - however, there's no gravity inside. Crytek went all out with this going as far as to create a flying system for 0G. What this means is that there is literally no "up" in this level. You have to fly around this disorientating alien maze. Gameplay wise it can actually be pretty frustrating and unpleasant - however, it's a really cool twist and some very clever level design.

Edit: Fuck it, I'm gunna buy the BC version now.

One of the Sanghelios missions provides a good blend sandboxy blend of vehicles and on for combat.

Yeah, that does actually sound like it would be a pretty good fit. Do the sequels follow the same structure? I had always assumed the games were open world

Status
Not open for further replies.