• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that does actually sound like it would be a pretty good fit. Do the sequels follow the same structure? I had always assumed the games were open world
I have only played Crysis 1 and 2, however, 2 was designed for PC and consoles concurrently so it's much smaller in scope than Crysis 1.

It's still probably wide linear, you've got multiple options in how to approach and you often face larger areas but it's much more narrow and limited than the first. Think city block where most buildings can't be entered Vs entire village which is completely open. It's still a decent game but nowhere near on the same level as the first.

I would love to see more games designed in that style. It's sandbox gameplay but it's not aimless or without direction like open world games often are. I think it would be a perfect fit for Halo.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I have only played Crysis 1 and 2, however, 2 was designed for PC and consoles concurrently so it's much smaller in scope than Crysis 1.

It's still probably wide linear, you've got multiple options in how to approach and you often face larger areas but it's much more narrow and limited than the first. Think city block where most buildings can't be entered Vs entire village which is completely open. It's still a decent game but nowhere near on the same level as the first.

I would love to see more games designed in that style. It's sandbox gameplay but aimless or without direction like open world games often are. I think it would be a perfect fit for Halo.

Ok so I'm watching a bunch of old crysis videos now and it seems like the franchise never really recovered from limited scope consoles put on it.

Yeah I do feel like the original Crysis approach would be best for the series.

Also, the weapon mod UI is badass! Back when I used to play warzone I always wished that instead of weapon variants and attachment being treated like a Unique weapon in the Req system, we could spend req points to add attachments to our weapons on the fly. Something like this could be much cleaner than scrolling through the req menus.
crysis3-weapons.jpg

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I'm watching a bunch of old crysis videos now and it seems like the franchise never really recovered from limited scope consoles put on it.

Yeah I do feel like the original Crysis approach would be best for the series.

Also, the weapon mod UI is badass! Back when I used to play warzone I always wished that instead of weapon variants and attachment being treated like a Unique weapon in the Req system, we could spend req points to add attachments to our weapons on the fly. Something like this would be much cleaner than scrolling through the req menus.
crysis3-weapons.jpg
Aye, Crysis 2 was still a good game but it put off a lot of the fans of the original.

Also the story kinda went off the rails.

Like I said though, I highly recommend picking up the first. I'm currently downloading the 360 version on my 1X.

Also yeah, the weapon mod menu is awesome! I think the most recent Homefront title had something similar - an underrated game by the way, it has tons of problems but there's a lot to be had underneath.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
AE53734DBE05A4986C2E86B10DB041D5D4909623

Finally got a decent game. I'm also going to come out and say it, I prefer AR starts for Reach.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California

Glass

Oct 26, 2017

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I'm planning on playing through the halo series this year and I want to actually understand what's happening but I dont have time to read a bunch of books along the way. Is there an article or wiki I can use to follow along with the story to make sure I'm getting the major plot points from the ancillary materials?

Dec 21, 2017
I'm planning on playing through the halo series this year and I want to actually understand what's happening but I dont have time to read a bunch of books along the way. Is there an article or wiki I can use to follow along with the story to make sure I'm getting the major plot points from the ancillary materials?
Honestly you can just play the games.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 2's story was my favorite, but 1-3-R have my favorite levels. CE gets the nod just for having Halo and Silent Cartographer.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
CE was great with the world building and just the overall mystery. It was an excellent way to start a franchise.

H2 wasn't bad by any means, but I do feel like it was a step down compared to CE when it came to the campaign.

H3 had the best level design and encounters.

ODST is great for being unique.

Reach improved on H3 in almost every way (Legendary is a bit BS though).

Halo Wars 1&2 are solid entries for attempting a new genre.

H4 looks nice.

H5 lol.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
It blows my mind that in the year 2020 I am still facing the same sweaty ass people in Warzone that were just as sweaty 3-4 years ago.

Do these losers do anything else with their life?

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the gameplay is still fun but that doesn't change the fact that the level design itself is incredibly repetitive and generally bland.

Surely you can look beyond the gameplay and see that. It's literally the same set of fairly sparse corridors repeated multiple times.
Sort of.
I can't deny that there's a ton of modular re-use, that's objective fact.
Repetition in terms of level design is a somewhat more complicated matter, since level design goes beyond the geometry building blocks. I'd argue that each floor of the Library has a distinct rhythm and flavor, and there are many different sort of encounter designs. But, even with respect to encounter design, I'd agree that there are many encounters that are very similar to many other encounters.

Whether it's bland is entirely subjective. I agree that many people think it's bland, and it doesn't surprise me that this is the case. But I disagree, and I'm not saying "I like the level despite its flaws", but that for me, the repetition in the Library (and in some other areas of the game) is not a flaw.

There are a couple facets to this.

Firstly, even full repetition isn't necessarily a bad thing. Consider racing games as an example: repeatedly doing the same course on the same vehicle can be loads of fun. This is partly because of how repetition allows you to hone and re-test your technique, and partly because the rhythm and feel of something can sometimes be just plain intrinsically enjoyable in repetition. First-person shooters are no different.

Secondly, geometric module repetition has a neat consequence to level design: movement and shooting tech that's universal to a wide variety of encounters can be quickly learned. The actual room structures and enemy spawns on the interiors of Assault on the Control Room are mostly wildly different from one other, but once you have the feel for crouch-jumping to the catwalks or hopping through a window while melee'ing the pane, that applies all over the place. So it only takes a little experience for vast sprawls of the level design to feel really fluid.

As to my impression that a lot of the "repetitive" encounters are quite different from each other, there might also be some complexity to this. When I first played CE in 2003, I did think that the interiors were fairly repetitive, while I enjoyed the outdoor sections a lot. I think replays are what changed my mind: familiarity emphasizes contrast. What first seemed soupy gained structure once I knew what I was looking at. I still like the outdoor sections, but my impression of them hasn't changed, while the interiors rapidly grew on me. I think I enjoy them more than the exteriors nowadays.
The matter of familiarity emphasizing contrast is also maybe why I like the level re-use in the game's final three levels. The huge differences in encounter design, the changes to lighting in some areas, and the different sound design prevent them from being redundant with the levels they're based on. And because they're in places we've been through before, the change that the release of the Flood has brought on is felt.

I find The Library mesmerizing. The somber soft yellow-on-blue tones, the dancing... I don't feel like replaying it often, but it scratches an itch that nothing else does.

Halo 3 having Floodgate and Cortana negates that.
They're problematic, although I direct most of my beef at the Flood enemy designs.

I really want to like Cortana. There's so much potential in the concept, and even a lot of things that were executed well, but so much went wrong. Partly in the gunplay, but also partly in the aesthetic design. As above, familiarity emphasizes contrast: I know that the level takes place in the ruins of High Charity, but it doesn't evoke the High Charity of Halo 2 very well, it doesn't feel like High Charity, so a lot of emotional effect is lost.
(By contrast, The Ark very strongly evokes The Silent Cartographer despite taking place in a totally different location.)

Last edited:

Gunner

Oct 29, 2017
AE53734DBE05A4986C2E86B10DB041D5D4909623

Finally got a decent game. I'm also going to come out and say it, I prefer AR starts for Reach.

I'm on the fence as to whether I'd say I prefer it but I don't mind them, for sure.

What drives me batty about this game, in any playlist, is forge maps. Yes, I get that competitively they are some of the best maps in the game. Yes, I get that many people hate the anniversary maps (which I honest to god didn't realize until this re-release). But forge maps are so goddamned ugly and boring. I'd rather play Penance and Solitary exclusively than any damned forge map, especially the ones put in after release. And it's even worse in big team. They shouldn't even be in big team.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Random Infinite musings of the day: Day 1, I think 343 should have a playlist which really shows off the fun capabilities of Forge , featuring modes like Duck Hunt or Warthog Sumo . It would be a great Forge showpiece and a fun alternative playlist for those not feeling the sweatier playlists.

Also crazy to think how a File Browser early on / Day 1 would effect things, presumably Halo 5's is being built upon for Infinite?

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
The Reach pistol is dogshit. The only good thing about AR starts at the moment is that everyone is awful at the game so matches are even easier than usual.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
75K out of 150k for the Lone Wolf nameplate then I died...

CryingDawson.gif

Took me 32 minutes. That means 150k would be an hour. Fuck that nameplate.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Searched MCC with CE off (for Aussie networking quality) and only objective filters...3 games of MLG style forge maps and flag games. Come on 343, we have had 2-3 Halo games of pure esports now. Time for some classic objective FFS, shit I hope Infinite doesn't go the sweaty route for 50% of multi player again. Beyond that I'll ditch PvP in place of PvE but with no word on anything Halo Infinite with less than 10 months to go and a new xbox one has to wonder the fuck is going on.

Christ I even decided to filter for just slayer (y'all know I hate slayer) and still ended up with MLG style ass-ymetrical maps, FFS again.

Off to other non-Halo games.

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I fucking despise these idiots that quit the game right after it started. Played multiple hours last night and half the games had quitters or non players. Then when you leave the game early you get banned from matchmaking. Even it is just a minute, that's so dumb. So i started to kill these fools that won't play and hope they ban me from the game. Nada - i love the multiplayer but the matchmaking is so frustrating.

So please 343 put Lone Wolf in matchmaking.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking despise these idiots that quit the game right after it started. Played multiple hours last night and half the games had quitters or non players. Then when you leave the game early you get banned from matchmaking. Even it is just a minute, that's so dumb. So i started to kill these fools that won't play and hope they ban me from the game. Nada - i love the multiplayer but the matchmaking is so frustrating.

Not sure if it helps but if half your team quits, you can quit without penalty.

Dec 21, 2017

Party up with folks here. What's your fav halo MP?

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Better late then never for Reach, and you'd assume now the other games will gets theirs around their launch window.

Made me think ahead to Halo 5's, and what steps 343 will take to try to get as many people up to speed as possible - or will Infinite be such a streamlined spiritual reboot, catch-up content won't be necessary?

Oct 25, 2017
Better late then never for Reach, and you'd assume now the other games will gets theirs around their launch window.

Made me think ahead to Halo 5's, and what steps 343 will take to try to get as many people up to speed as possible - or will Infinite be such a streamlined spiritual reboot, catch-up content won't be necessary?
hopefully the latter

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Has anyone already called dibs for the Halo Infinite OT?
I would absolutely love to help out on it. I enjoyed the work that I did for the Gears 5 OT and I feel super hyped for the next years of Halo with Infinite :D

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone already called dibs for the Halo Infinite OT?
I would absolutely love to help out on it. I enjoyed the work that I did for the Gears 5 OT and I feel super hyped for the next years of Halo with Infinite :D

From my understanding, you can't claim it yet, because the release timeframe was too vague with "Holiday 2020" at E3 2019.

Might want to ask in the OT thread, though: https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-ot-ot-index-volunteer-coordinate-collaborate-read-op.1100/

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Did you check the |OT| OT? Not sure if anyone's called it, but I think you'd be a great OP for it :]

Right now, It's too early to make the official post for it since there hasn't been an official release date announced. No one in the |OT|OT has called dibs on it for the same reason but I just wanted to check in here in case someone already had plans to work on it.

It's still a while until Infinite comes out but I did want to start collecting ideas for the format, style, etc.. Just wanted to ask it in here since I know quite a lot of people in here are fond of Halo ;)

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I actually made a Halo Infinite OT but it's entirely in crayon.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm genuinely curious on how a single human being can like Reach MP.

Tried to play some on PC again and every single game I just had the worst time imaginable in both Hardcore and the new Slayer ranked which is 10x worse than Hardcore because of bloom and abilities. If I play another Nexus King I'll blow my fucking brains out, and that's only after playing for a couple hours.

It's just pure aids.

Status
Not open for further replies.