• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2018

I remember back in the GAF days 343 being like "Oh trust us! We're doing all we can to make Halo 4 great! A ranking system? Who needs that! Truskill lmao! Oh btw we're hiring people who hate Halo!"

ysiRbc.gif

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So are the Anniversary game types going to come to MCC matchmaking?
The real question is will they scrap another build that feels too traditional? They've done it before.
Wasn't it Microsoft that told them to make Halo 4 less traditional after they first presented the game to them?
This was back when everyone was chasing CoD, but now there is a real hunger for classic Halo.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember back in the GAF days 343 being like "Oh trust us! We're doing all we can to make Halo 4 great! A ranking system? Who needs that! Truskill lmao! Oh btw we're hiring people who hate Halo!"

ysiRbc.gif

One of the most surreal Halo moments/eras of all time is when leaks of Halo 4 were coming out showing shit like Promethan vision, spawning with different weapons, being able to spawn with a shotgun, power weapons being randomized, kill streaks to call down randomized weapons, no descope, no red x's on death, etc etc etc etc etc.

As a community we laughed at the leaks as being not credible because of how stupid it sounded. It was like someone assumed 343 would try to take too much CoD stuff and put it in Halo and make some Halo x CoD mashup as a leak.

and then it all came true

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
This was back when everyone was chasing CoD, but now there is a real hunger for classic Halo.
Is there, though? I know it's what some subset of people online want, and I'm among those in favor of scaling back the abilities, but more people are playing H5 than MCC on Xbox (MCC isn't in the top 50) and Reach numbers on Steam fell off a cliff.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part was thinking "Oh... it can't be that bad, can it?"

"It's still Halo, after all"

And then you get home. Pop that disc in. Get into your first MP match

"Oh.... oh no... it is that bad"
If I recall forge wasn't at launch either and there were like zero custom games settings. Infection, one of the most customizable custom games was neutered because infected were always the spartan zombies with swords built in.

Halo 4 was a mess. It became somewhat servicable with legendary settings but WOOF

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I recall forge wasn't at launch either and there were like zero custom games settings. Infection, one of the most customizable custom games was neutered because infected were always the spartan zombies with swords built in.

Halo 4 was a mess. It became somewhat servicable with legendary settings but WOOF

I remember seeing the Flood forms for Infected in a ViDoc and thinking they looked awesome since in H3 Spartan armor would just turn black in color.

Nah.

After trying out Infected, I wanted the black armor Spartans again. Hammer wielding zombies are stupid and great

Oct 25, 2017

I think Halo 4 and 5's half-finished launch did more to hurt them than anything about the gameplay itself.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Most of the things I actually liked in Halo 4 didn't make it into Halo 5.

-Ricochet
-Dominion
-4-shot flagnum
-Deep armor and emblem customization
-Spartan Ops

Looking back I didn't like H4's forge that much. Maybe it was the rusty off white look.

Oct 17, 2018
Even though Halo 4 is absolutely fucking atrocious, I honestly think I still prefer it to Reach. There's just something about Reach that makes the game feel so bad and I don't know what.

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the things I actually liked in Halo 4 didn't make it into Halo 5.

-Ricochet
-Dominion
-4-shot flagnum
-Deep armor and emblem customization
-Spartan Ops

Looking back I didn't like H4's forge that much. Maybe it was the rusty off white look.

Yep. I'm still sad Ricochet didn't make it, considering it seemed like it was universally liked.

I pretty much knew Spartan Ops wasn't coming back. Story DLC has always been the dream, but the first half of Spartan Ops just wasn't strong enough, and probably most people checked out by the time the really good stuff came in the back half.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Halo Infinite will be launching in November unless the bone version comes out first still a bit of a wait.

Last edited:

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Not sure if any of you are into VR, but it looks like the guy who made Alien: Isolation VR compatible (which supposedly worked really well although I haven't tried it) is working on a mod for Reach right now, and he has motion controls working:

https://www.roadtovr.com/halo-reach-vr-mod-experimen-nibre/

He also stated that he's going to try to get the whole MCC VR compatible as the games release on PC. Not sure how well the gameplay will translate, but they're comparatively slow shooters which will at least be good for motion sickness concerns. Halo 2: Anniversary should look awesome in VR! Sorry if this was already posted.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018

Nah because when i played for like 5 hours when it launched on PC I played Hardcore which obviously doesn't have bloom, yet it still felt like absolute shit and was so boring to play. While Halo 4 was definitely the least "Halo" game out of the entire series, imo it was ever so slightly more fun than Reach, but that's not exactly a compliment.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if any of you are into VR, but it looks like the guy who made Alien: Isolation VR compatible (which supposedly worked really well although I haven't tried it) is working on a mod for Reach right now, and he has motion controls working:

https://www.roadtovr.com/halo-reach-vr-mod-experimen-nibre/

He also stated that he's going to try to get the whole MCC VR compatible as the games release on PC. Not sure how well the gameplay will translate, but they're comparatively slow shooters which will at least be good for motion sickness concerns. Halo 2: Anniversary should look awesome in VR! Sorry if this was already posted.

I'm curious how the locomotion will work, or if you just have to deal with motion sickness with classic FPS controls.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
My god how dumb do you have to be to actually enjoy AR starts in H3?

Remove. This. Trash.

Last edited:

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
I haven't played Reach since they added in AR starts. Some of that is the nostalgia wearing off, but I really can't stand to play it without a DMR start.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Reach since they added in AR starts. Some of that is the nostalgia wearing off, but I really can't stand to play it without a DMR start.

Alot of the matches are more fun with AR/Pistol starts, you can actually move around maps more freely. BTB will be tough to balance though without DMR starts.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
Alot of the matches are more fun with AR/Pistol starts, you can actually move around maps more freely. BTB will be tough to balance though without DMR starts.
I just don't think it's fun to start with two weapons that really have no utility. The pistol is unusable trash and the ar only works if you aren't getting melted by precision weapons. I'd basically spend the start of each match looking for something usable like a needle rifle or a dmr.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Precision starts toggle in matchmaking yesssss die in a fucking fire AR starts.

• Team Slayer option has been replaced with "Precision Slayer" and "Auto Slayer."

Historically, we've compromised by combining these into a single selection. We fully understand that different players have different preferences here, so now we offer players choice over their starting weapon/experience.

• Precision Slayer includes weapon starts of DMR, BR, or Magnum.
  • Auto Slayer includes weapon starts of AR, SMG, and Halo 4 loadout starts.
  • Rotated in featured Halo: CE Anniversary category for Halo: Reach which contains maps and game settings which emulate Halo: CE.

This has been a commonly requested addition and rotational categories provide great opportunities to expose this sort of content.

Now we just need a "Classic toggle" that removes armor abilities and loadouts from Reach and 4 in favor of even starts.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't think it's fun to start with two weapons that really have no utility. The pistol is unusable trash and the ar only works if you aren't getting melted by precision weapons. I'd basically spend the start of each match looking for something usable like a needle rifle or a dmr.

Yeah, what's the fun in a shooter where the guns you start with are useless...

You arent moving around freely... you're desperately looking for an upgrade so that you can contribute. I cant believe this setting exists in this game.

Edit: welp looks like a little late. It's been 84 years but someone finally did the right thing!

Last edited:

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
I'm just glad you finally play legendary slayer in H4. It still has the problem with the scoping, but it's such a better game than infinity slayer.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want all of you to clear your mind and read this --

Imagine a time where you invested hundreds, if not thousands of hours and dollars enjoying a video game you love. Imagine that. Just picture it, feel it. Feel those feelings. Are you familiar with those emotions, what that kind of love with a video game feels like?

Imagine having that wonderful experience for 3 years. A transformative experience, creating memories you'll cherish for the rest of your life.

Now......... Imagine after those 3 years, a sequel to that game comes out and it feels completely different, how devastated you would feel if the gameplay experience was lesser than what was experienced before.

--------- Can you picture it? Are you feeling it? ---------

Because that's how it was in 2004 when Halo 2 came out. All the Halo 3 nerds these days complaining about Halo 5 have little idea of the sweeping changes made in Halo 2.

Halo 5 -- sprint, Spartan Abilities and all -- is the best Halo gameplay since CE. Recognize.

But of course, never settle for less. Demand more. This franchise deserves better.
Combat Evolved 2

Fight me. Bite me.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What they really need is a radar toggle so those who like it can directly see how much more enjoyable the experience is when your every. damn. move. (unless you're a filthy crouch walker like some others in this thread) is not dictated to the enemy team.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want all of you to clear your mind and read this --

Imagine a time where you invested hundreds, if not thousands of hours and dollars enjoying a video game you love. Imagine that. Just picture it, feel it. Feel those feelings. Are you familiar with those emotions, what that kind of love with a video game feels like?

Imagine having that wonderful experience for 3 years. A transformative experience, creating memories you'll cherish for the rest of your life.

Now......... Imagine after those 3 years, a sequel to that game comes out and it feels completely different, how devastated you would feel if the gameplay experience was lesser than what was experienced before.

--------- Can you picture it? Are you feeling it? ---------

Because that's how it was in 2004 when Halo 2 came out. All the Halo 3 nerds these days complaining about Halo 5 have little idea of the sweeping changes made in Halo 2.

Halo 5 -- sprint, Spartan Abilities and all -- is the best Halo gameplay since CE. Recognize.

But of course, never settle for less. Demand more. This franchise deserves better.
Combat Evolved 2

Fight me. Bite me.

I'm sorry but...

Imagine still being hung up on a game that came out in 2001 and didn't get the sequel you wanted in 2004. After Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo 4, and Halo 5 you would think you got the message that CE 2 is not coming and the majority of Halo fans don't want it either.

Let go my son

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but...

Imagine still being hung up on a game that came out in 2001 and didn't get the sequel you wanted in 2004. After Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo 4, and Halo 5 you would think you got the message that CE 2 is not coming and the majority of Halo fans don't want it either.

Let go my son
Ahh yes, the naivety of a Halo 3 babbie.

Get informed, dug.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you're talking about the sort of lifetime average of competitive Slayer you're right - but there's plenty of game types where hunting for upgrades can be compelling - especially in non competitive playlists - in fact the most fun aspect of Super Fiesta is both the comedy of continually spawning with a bolt shot and an unripe banana, or the transcendent joy of spawning with The Answer and Tartarus' Gavel (only to then accidentally kill yourself immediately and gift those treasures to the other team).

Halo (competitive and core) MP needs to be undergirded by symmetrical utility - so that no team can make an unfair or irretrievable lead (all other things being equal) - but there are plenty of playlists where either predictable need to augment your equipment to succeed or control the map - or even unpredictable chaos, are extremely fun. I think H4 had some fantastic elements that created friction because they were front and center and not optional - but that can work brilliantly in the right kind of playlist and create different kinds of tension and variety and surprise - but that aren't compatible with traditional expectations of 4x4 Slayer or objective modes.

And of course we (343 Industries and developers generally) need to be better at adjusting to player response on the fly - with Reach and H4 there were things that we wanted to tune or change but couldn't be agile or quick enough to respond to. One of the satisfying things about MCC (and Infinite) is getting the chance to start out with learnings from legacy games about things that did and didn't work - or better ways to contextualize cool ideas within matchmaking but at the right time and in the right place.

Heck, even Armor Lock probably has a place. I call that place, "WTF Igloo Valley: The Battle to Pause Other People's Multiplayer Session on a Narrow Bridge on Sword Base Under Which the Troll of Armor Lock was Born."

Oct 17, 2018
Any Halo game without the BR being the main weapon, or even in the game in the first place is trash. Thus, 2 and 3 are the only good Halos.

What they really need is a radar toggle so those who like it can directly see how much more enjoyable the experience is when your every. damn. move. (unless you're a filthy crouch walker like some others in this thread) is not dictated to the enemy team.

Preach. No radar is so good and actually incentivises listening for footsteps/sounds and callouts from your team. Such a comfy experience.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My first Halo experience was Halo CE

on PC

where I think it was better despite its network jank.

Halo CE on MCC is not very fun. Put your rose tints away.
It doesn't matter where you start -- It matters where your heart is. And it's very clear where yours is.

All Halo games are fun in their own way. Put your elitism away.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
If you're talking about the sort of lifetime average of competitive Slayer you're right - but there's plenty of game types where hunting for upgrades can be compelling - especially in non competitive playlists - in fact the most fun aspect of Super Fiesta is both the comedy of continually spawning with a bolt shot and an unripe banana, or the transcendent joy of spawning with The Answer and Tartarus' Gavel (only to then accidentally kill yourself immediately and gift those treasures to the other team).

Halo (competitive and core) MP needs to be undergirded by symmetrical utility - so that no team can make an unfair or irretrievable lead (all other things being equal) - but there are plenty of playlists where either predictable need to augment your equipment to succeed or control the map - or even unpredictable chaos, are extremely fun. I think H4 had some fantastic elements that created friction because they were front and center and not optional - but that can work brilliantly in the right kind of playlist and create different kinds of tension and variety and surprise - but that aren't compatible with traditional expectations of 4x4 Slayer or objective modes.

And of course we (343 Industries and developers generally) need to be better at adjusting to player response on the fly - with Reach and H4 there were things that we wanted to tune or change but couldn't be agile or quick enough to respond to. One of the satisfying things about MCC (and Infinite) is getting the chance to start out with learnings from legacy games about things that did and didn't work - or better ways to contextualize cool ideas within matchmaking but at the right time and in the right place.

Heck, even Armor Lock probably has a place. I call that place, "WTF Igloo Valley: The Battle to Pause Other People's Multiplayer Session on a Narrow Bridge on Sword Base Under Which the Troll of Armor Lock was Born."
Thanks for the response! I appreciate the candor. I hope that you guys will continue to be this open as we move into Infinite.

I do agree that there is a place in Halo mp for the asymmetrical and the random, but that those should be walled off. I'm glad that there's a split now for people that want to play with the precision weapon starts. I definitely jump into fiesta and its variants (husky raid is a fun time!) now and again, but I don't like that kind of variability in the main arena. That's why I was totally one of those people yelling at clouds when H4 came out about ordinances and loadouts. Can't thank y'all enough for giving H4 legendary its own playlist now because I think that's a proper Halo arena good time.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always reminded that Halo 2's multiplayer was built by someone who was not a pro player, and who wanted to make sure pro and casual people had fun, and specifically warned that building a game for hardcore players only was not a recipe for widespread success.

Be careful what you wish for.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the response! I appreciate the candor. I hope that you guys will continue to be this open as we move into Infinite.

I do agree that there is a place in Halo mp for the asymmetrical and the random, but that those should be walled off. I'm glad that there's a split now for people that want to play with the precision weapon starts. I definitely jump into fiesta and its variants (husky raid is a fun time!) now and again, but I don't like that kind of variability in the main arena. That's why I was totally one of those people yelling at clouds when H4 came out about ordinances and loadouts. Can't thank y'all enough for giving H4 legendary its own playlist now because I think that's a proper Halo arena good time.

And I feel the opposite, Arena should be walled off. Halo, full circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.