• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
It'll always be Halo 2 > Halo 2: A > Halo 3 for me.

Halo 2's map line up is just god like for so many gametypes.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
It's not an excuse for the game itself.
It was for those WHO thinks the game is slow or whatever in today's market.

H2 is legendary too.

3 as a Halo package is miles better and it's not even funny. How is it even compared H5? A game that basically removed almost everything that was iconic on the serie and replaced it with a much worse version .Music, weapon design, armor design, helmet design, UI, game modes, enemies design. Worse than previous games. The game didn't even launch with a theatre mode for crying out loud. It's a joke as a Halo game.

I'll agree that the overall package was better, but jeez oh man the base multiplayer game play is a miserable experience.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
utvokrujw3z11.jpg

a real man who knows what the best Halo armor is

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
4v4, MLG settings, it's great

I think we do have to recognize that you have to make a distinction based on settings. Personally, I never really cared that much about pro settings, so I remember a map based more on default. Like, people somehow remember Countdown in Reach fondly, and playing that on default settings is like getting stabbed in the eyeball.

I have fond memories of Double Team on Construct, but never really liked it for anything else.

Also: Abandon (Halo 4) is the worst dev-made FPS multiplayer map of all time. Never forget this.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I think we do have to recognize that you have to make a distinction based on settings. Personally, I never really cared that much about pro settings, so I remember a map based more on default. Like, people somehow remember Countdown in Reach fondly, and playing that on default settings is like getting stabbed in the eyeball.

I have fond memories of Double Team on Construct, but never really liked it for anything else.

Also: Abandon (Halo 4) is the worst dev-made FPS multiplayer map of all time. Never forget this.

Abandon was bad. Real bad. But I have to say, molten takes the cake.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
My ideas are the best, always.

edit - like how ivory tower was fun going up the elevator and not showing up on the motion tracker LOL i got my first killtrocity on that map in h2.

The best part of ivory tower was kids thought they were being sneaky on the lift, but I could here them on proximity voice, talking about using the lift.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing tops gemini for me as worst halo map.
I'll give Gemini a bit of credit because at least it was experimenting with an idea. It along with Backwash were interesting ideas that didn't quite pan out. Terminal on the other hand was an experiment that worked well. At least from my perspective the experimentation that Halo 2 multiplayer maps did were a net positive for the player experience.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Well it sucks I missed pretty much all of the HCS finals this weekend, but I did catch the final game and just wanted to say Royal 2 holding that final rocket knowing he could backsmack that guy in fountain instead and then immediately turning around to use said rocket on the flag carrier in their cave to finish the kill to get the return might have been the most clutch play I've seen in Halo 5. Only fitting it was also one of the very last plays in Halo 5 esports.

I enjoyed playing and watching competitive Halo 5 so it kinda bums me out it's officially over and done with now. Here's hoping 343 hits a home run with Infinite.

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
Well it sucks I missed pretty much all of the HCS finals this weekend, but I did catch the final game and just wanted to say Royal 2 holding that final rocket knowing he could backsmack that guy in fountain instead and then immediately turning around to use said rocket on the flag carrier in their cave to finish the kill to get the return might have been the most clutch play I've seen in Halo 5. Only fitting it was also one of the very last plays in Halo 5 esports.

I enjoyed playing and watching competitive Halo 5 so it kinda bums me out it's officially over and done with now. Here's hoping 343 hits a home run with Infinite.

Halo2s guns, Halo3s gameplay and maps and the trust from Halo5. The prefect Halo MP.

Oct 25, 2017

I like Abandon (although man it would have made a good 1-flag CTF but instead there was that terrible asymmetrical 2-flag setup) and see no way it could be considered worse than stuff like Complex, Countdown, Riptide, etc.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think I just played my first ever 8v8 match in CE that didn't have a single quitter. This Match Composer is the rill dill.

EDIT: Nevermind, that was only the first match. Each of my 4 matches after had quitters lol.

Last edited:

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
soo... are we gunna talk about how sick this is
sorry, too busy playing

I haven't even tried the (retail) Match Composer yet. Playing Campaign to get a handle on my aiming now that it's adjustable for each title.

Last night i played the most glorious mission on Assault on the Control room using HS 4, VS 5, LA 5, DZ 4%, and mapping Zoom to the lower left paddle. Soooo many quick zoom head shots and no-scopes in rapid succession in HCE and H2. Those settings are a bit fast for H3 so i am going to keep playing/adjusting on Ark/Covenant until they feel just right.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Played a game of H3 and damn it's so, so much better after the update. The aiming actually semi decent now.

Also, the match composer is fantastic.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Can't seem to get MCC to boot up after the update, just goes to the MCC splash and then quits to dash. Restarted console completely, removed the reserved space of 4GB and re-launched. Any ideas fellers?

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't seem to get MCC to boot up after the update, just goes to the MCC splash and then quits to dash. Restarted console completely, removed the reserved space of 4GB and re-launched. Any ideas fellers?

Do a complete reboot, then try. If it does it again, wait a while on the dash for the Xbox to finish indexing (it won't tell you when it's doing this) and try again.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I had no idea there was going to be an MCC update, but today I had a realization that multiplayer games just aren't doing it for me right now and I really just want to play non stop big team CTF in halo.

Holy shit I can actually do that now! At first I saw all the options after booting up MCC and though "oh they just made matchmaking unnecessarily complicated," but then I set my preferences and wow I just played 4 back to back to back to back big team assault and CTF matches.

I'm in heaven

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
So I had no idea there was going to be an MCC update, but today I had a realization that multiplayer games just aren't doing it for me right now and I really just want to play non stop big team CTF in halo.

Holy shit I can actually do that now! At first I saw all the options after booting up MCC and though "oh they just made matchmaking unnecessarily complicated," but then I set my preferences and wow I just played 4 back to back to back to back big team assault and CTF matches.

I'm in heaven

That's awesome man. I'm having an urge to hop on seeing these posts about MCC.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I'm in heaven

My man. I truly hope 343 keep composer in at launch for Infinite. I'd like some other changes around how matchmaking works with the composer e.g. map and gametype pools and permutations but until they release a tech deep drive it's guess work to how it's done in MCC for now.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My man. I truly hope 343 keep composer in at launch for Infinite. I'd like some other changes around how matchmaking works with the composer e.g. map and gametype pools and permutations but until they release a tech deep drive it's guess work to how it's done in MCC for now.
I really hope that's more likely for Infinite considering it's just one game, so choosing a map pool wouldn't be as much of an issue as choosing between ~100 maps.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
In a world where many devs are limiting the number of gametypes to avoid fragmentation, the mixtape idea is a beacon of hope for games where a wide variety of gametypes is a stregnth . I remember us having discussions about this topic a while ago, before composer was announced. It's awesome to see that 343 was already on the case.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
In a world where many devs are limiting the number of gametypes to avoid fragmentation, the mixtape idea is a beacon of hope for games where a wide variety of gametypes is a stregnth . I remember us having discussions about this topic a while ago, before composer was announced. It's awesome to see that 343 was already on the case.
Yup, when Titan Fall 2 added it, I kept on saying it needed to come to Halo. The Composer should be in every Halo and pretty much every game.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The composer is a sneaky genius idea. It allows for every game type to be searchable, and while some stuff might just get completely ignored it's likely that stuff would have had a low population in its dedicated playlist anyways.

And really anything that lets me play big team CTF 24/7 is good by me!

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
The composer is a sneaky genius idea. It allows for every game type to be searchable, and while some stuff might just get completely ignored it's likely that stuff would have had a low population in its dedicated playlist anyways.

And really anything that lets me play big team CTF 24/7 is good by me!

I imagine that with some good social engineering and AI learning, this is a problem that we'll see devs tackle as time goes on as well.

I Wonder if a "schedule game feature" would work .

If players are hell bent on playing a specific gametype they could ask the system to try to schedule it in the background while the player is in matchmaking.

Other Players who are waiting in mixtape matchmaking queues could scroll through scheduled game requests that match their mixtape preferences. if they see one they like they could agree to be added to that scheduled game.

Once enough people agree, the system would set a time, and pull those people into the lobby when that time comes.

This would be different from making a custom lobby because you wouldn't have to sit around hoping someone stumbles into your preferred gametype. You'd still be in matchmaking getting other games.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that's more likely for Infinite considering it's just one game, so choosing a map pool wouldn't be as much of an issue as choosing between ~100 maps.

I don't think you'll be able to choose maps even in a game with less maps, because with functionality like this you have to be careful about how many permutations you allow. Like (let's pretend it's Halo 2) you want to play CTF or Slayer on Coag, Waterworks, and Midship, and a whole bunch of other people want to play CTF or Slayer on half the maps in the game but none of the ones you chose, you'll be left searching as the other group also collects people that also chose maps they did.

I could see map preference weighting, though.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you'll be able to choose maps even in a game with less maps, because with functionality like this you have to be careful about how many permutations you allow. Like (let's pretend it's Halo 2) you want to play CTF or Slayer on Coag, Waterworks, and Midship, and a whole bunch of other people want to play CTF or Slayer on half the maps in the game but none of the ones you chose, you'll be left searching as the other group also collects people that also chose maps they did.

I could see map preference weighting, though.
Right, map preference weighting. What else would they do, make people wait indefinitely? :b

Let's lay this out: For Infinite we'll see like what, no more than 9-12 maps on launch? Assuming BTB returns with dev-created maps, the split could look something like ~5 BTB maps, ~5 Arena maps, and like 3 Warzone maps if that returns, maybe a few Forge maps sprinkled in for good measure. So realistically, if you're choosing BTB your map pool will be very small because 8v8 isn't played on smaller maps. I don't think that'd be an issue even if the map pool grows because it'd be a weighting anyway, so after X time it'll dump you into a larger search pool.

That being said, I wonder if a Match Composer will be in at launch anyway, let alone with map selection. Maybe they'll give people time to figure out what they like before providing options to filter what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.