• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to boot up MCC. Composer saves this game for me. It's amazing.

Also, H3 is simultaneously terrible and awesome...

Edit: but mostly terrible

Last edited:

SlightlyLive

QA
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Northern Ireland
My mistake. This is the real deal.

logo-composer-transparent3.png

Frankie looks great with hair. :)

jem

Oct 25, 2017
What is this Composer thing?

I've been outta the game for a long time.
Basically it's toggle based matchmaking.

Instead of playlists you select which games and which gamemodes you want to play and you'll be matched into anything within that selection. So if you want to play slayer on any game but Halo 4 you can do that.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Basically it's toggle based matchmaking.

Instead of playlists you select which games and which gamemodes you want to play and you'll be matched into anything within that selection. So if you want to play slayer on any game but Halo 4 you can do that.
Wow, just tried this out. What a perfect change for social

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Ok composer needs a toggle for utility starts, then it would be perfect.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I'm really late but this Halo grassroots program has the potential to be really neat.

If you're a tournament organizer, you can apply for support and potentially receive things like:

• Prize pool contributions
  • Loaner consoles
  • Giveaways and digital prizes
  • Promotion on social media and Halo.gg
  • Content
  • Graphics
  • Sponsor acquisition support
  • Sanctioning
If you're a content creator, you can potentially receive:

• Promotion on social media and Halo.gg
  • Giveaways and digital prizes
  • Hosting on broadcast channels
  • Content
  • Graphics
This initial offering is really just the beginning – we hope it will continue to grow and evolve over time alongside the support of community and partners.

It's pretty amazing that over the course of Halo 5, we've gone from a game that didn't even have LAN support, to a program that aids Organizers and content creators with community building tools. This sort of infrastructure bodes well for the future - from both an esport and a social perspective.

I noticed that GoldenBoy is interested in getting involved and running some classic tournaments as well as some BTB tournaments. That's pretty cool.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
MCC isn't truly fixed until they get rid of SMG/AR starts and Infinity Slayer.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Match a Tombstone map, load into a 4v2 situation, total of maybe 4 kills after 5 mins.

Leave the game and get a 5 minute ban. That seems...unreasonable.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Match a Tombstone map, load into a 4v2 situation, total of maybe 4 kills after 5 mins.

Leave the game and get a 5 minute ban. That seems...unreasonable.

I got banned after a disconnect and I was confused. By the time I was and to log back in, there was 1 minute remaining. I wonder if the bans are meant to be the remaining length of match you quit.

I like that idea, but obviously quitting a 2v4 situation should be forgiven.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Man... I'm thrilled that I can wake up at 6am and get games in MCC...

But sometimes I'm blown away at how H3 shipped. Holy shit

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone played H5 community doubles? Lots of really cool interesting maps in there. Just played this one map which seemed like a successor to boarding action with neat shield doors reminiscent of Star Wars Ep1.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I've been out of the Halo loop for a month or so.

What's with the Halo 3 resurgence?
The final Halo 5 HCS event happened a couple of weeks back. During that 343 announced a program to support community tournaments for any Halo game. As part of that UGC are hosting a Halo 3 4v4 tournament in January. The team passes sold out very quickly so they've upped the numbers twice and now there's 96 teams attending.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finding games using composer is a joy, the quality of matching is flakey due to population on what you're searching, which is understandable from someone searching OBJ only these days (an taking H3 out of it, the BR networking sucks balls).

I had to laugh last night though, pulled CE 2 flag on Hang Em High and a literal triple double spawn killing with rockets. I would have felt bad but I was too busy laughing in their flag base in the face of the same two players over and over.

Oct 26, 2017
Over the past month I've been playing through the Halo: CE campaign with one of my roommates and it's been a super fun time seeing someone experience such a great game for the first time. He doesn't know much about Halo outside of what friends have told him (which are just simple things like The Flood), and is a pretty casual gamer otherwise who has enjoyed shooters like the new DOOM and Wolfensteins. He just beat 343 Guilty Spark tonight, so I thought it would be interesting to ask him what he's thought of the game so far, seeing how he's playing a game from 2001 in 2018.

The main things he's enjoyed are:
- The story; he thinks the Halo universe is really interesting and cool and wants to learn more about it though playing the games.
- The art style; he really likes the look of the classic graphics, but also likes some of the art in the Anniversary mode. He doesn't really like the reskins of Forerunner buildings, though.
- The simplicity; he was a big fan of the Half-Life games when he was younger, as well as the new DOOM, so he likes how straightforward the gameplay is. He also said he liked how it didn't have Sprint, but he also expressed some interest in the thrusters from 5 since he's enjoyed that in other games he's played (he has watched me play 5 before).

Some of his frustrations are:
- The level design; he likes the more open levels as well as corridors, but he gets lost sometimes in the repetitive corridors of Assault on the Control Room and 343 Guilty Spark (he's gonna love The Library).
- Crouch-jumping: he struggles with the verticality in some areas and the game and likes mantling mechanics in games like DOOM where the player can hoist themselves up (so basically he wants Clamber).
- The controls; when he first started playing he defaulted to CoD controls, but he wanted to learn the standard CE controls instead and picked it up decently fast, but when returning to the game after long periods of time has trouble remembering what's what. I think he would be a fan of the default H5 controls and maybe even the smart scope since he would try to aim all his weapons at first; he wasn't put off by them being absent from the game, though.

Didn't know if anyone would find this kind of feedback interesting, I think it's a great way of seeing what has aged well and what can be improved for new players in future games. I want to play through at least the original trilogy with him, so depending on if this happens I might post an update later on if anyone is interested.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sordid Plebian I actually think it is really interesting.

Especially the happines about the lack of sprint. Heh.

And yes I can imagine how people get los in Halo CE if they didn't realize the "arrows" on the floor in many forerunner buildings. Hehe.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
What's funny about my halo muscle memory -

I take a break from halo, and and play a million shooters in the mean time, but never feel the urge to use L for zoom. Or take crouch off of left stick. Something just instantly clicks when I load up a Halo game

Last edited:

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
What's funny about my halo muscle memory -

I take a break from halo, and and play a million shooters in the mean time, but never feel the urge to use for zoom. Or take crouch off of left stick. Something just instantly clicks when I load up a Halo game
Except for Halo 5, where adjusting to aiming takes a while--Or if you're FUNKNOWN and just bad at Halo.

We really need Halo Infinite, imagine another two to three years of making fun of FUNKNOWN, that's where we're headed.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Except for Halo 5, where adjusting to aiming takes a while--Or if you're FUNKNOWN and just bad at Halo.

We really need Halo Infinite, imagine another two to three years of making fun of FUNKNOWN, that's where we're headed.

Oh the aiming part takes a while a gets use to in H5. That's actually what kills my drive to play it after starting other games.

The basic controls though feel right at home.

Oct 26, 2017
Especially the happiness about the lack of sprint. Heh.
Something else interesting I noticed about my friend was that he seemed to be more conditioned by games with sprint in it. So for example, when he was threw a grenade or was being chased by the Flood, he would always turn around all the way to escape despite being able to move at the same speed in all directions. Now sometimes it was to see where he was going, but there were also instances where it was clear he could have just backed up. It was funny when he would do this to try to escape Sword Elites since it would only slow him down in trying to run away.

Anyway, this got me thinking about 343i's approach to movement in Halo 5 because I think it works well with this instinct that some players have, but also works counter-intuitive to Halo's traditional movement. One difference between 4 and 5 is that while sprint was tacked on in 4, most movement in 5 was based around it. Sprint, thrusters, clamber, and slide all contribute towards forward moving gameplay that encourages map flow to be very push-forward. You gotta be moving forward to use sprint, clamber, and slide, and thrusters can be used to help the player move forward as well. Even level design contributes to this flow, with ledges being raised to encourage the use of clamber and longer lands for sprint. I think this may be one of the reasons Halo 5 didn't feel great for a lot of players, in addition to the general pace of the gameplay being increased do to this, spartan abilities, and the tight arena maps.

Infinite should really address this so the gameplay can feel a bit more in-pace with older games. I don't think that they need to remove thrusters or sprint to do this, but they need to regulate it in a way that slows down the pace, encourages the skill gap through the reimplementation of crouch-jumping friendly maps, and reassess map design in general.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like the Halo 3 tournament might be expand again!

Something else interesting I noticed about my friend was that he seemed to be more conditioned by games with sprint in it. So for example, when he was threw a grenade or was being chased by the Flood, he would always turn around all the way to escape despite being able to move at the same speed in all directions. Now sometimes it was to see where he was going, but there were also instances where it was clear he could have just backed up. It was funny when he would do this to try to escape Sword Elites since it would only slow him down in trying to run away.

Anyway, this got me thinking about 343i's approach to movement in Halo 5 because I think it works well with this instinct that some players have, but also works counter-intuitive to Halo's traditional movement. One difference between 4 and 5 is that while sprint was tacked on in 4, most movement in 5 was based around it. Sprint, thrusters, clamber, and slide all contribute towards forward moving gameplay that encourages map flow to be very push-forward. You gotta be moving forward to use sprint, clamber, and slide, and thrusters can be used to help the player move forward as well. Even level design contributes to this flow, with ledges being raised to encourage the use of clamber and longer lands for sprint. I think this may be one of the reasons Halo 5 didn't feel great for a lot of players, in addition to the general pace of the gameplay being increased do to this, spartan abilities, and the tight arena maps.

Infinite should really address this so the gameplay can feel a bit more in-pace with older games. I don't think that they need to remove thrusters or sprint to do this, but they need to regulate it in a way that slows down the pace, encourages the skill gap through the reimplementation of crouch-jumping friendly maps, and reassess map design in general.

This is exactly my issue with sprint and clamber and how everything is built around it. I want to be empowered to keep my eyes on the action at all times, not turn away from it to navigate.

I'd ditch the sprint mechanic (trade ability to shoot for faster speed)for a high BMS and a sprint animation that plays when your stick is at full forward deflection for a second. No extra button press needed. There would be no penalty to gun readiness - as soon as you pull the trigger, your gun is up and bullets are flying - but it would look and feel like you are sprinting.

Clamber would still be in, but maps won't be designed to require clamber. All basic jumps would be doable with a simple jump. Advanced jumps should be doable with a crouch jump. All expert jumps should be doable with a spring jump. A player with perfect movement would never have to touch the clamber button, and would naturally have a readiness advantage over those who rely on it.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
This is exactly my issue with sprint and clamber and how everything is built around it. I want to be empowered to keep my eyes on the action at all times, not turn away from it to navigate.

I'd ditch the sprint mechanic (trade ability to shoot for faster speed)for a high BMS and a sprint animation that plays when your stick is at full forward deflection for a second. No extra button press needed. There would be no penalty to gun readiness - as soon as you pull the trigger, your gun is up and bullets are flying - but it would look and feel like you are sprinting.

Clamber would still be in, but maps won't be designed to require clamber. All basic jumps would be doable with a simple jump. Advanced jumps should be doable with a crouch jump. All expert jumps should be doable with a spring jump. A player with perfect movement would never have to touch the clamber button, and would naturally have a readiness advantage over those who rely on it.
That's basically where I'm at too, the only reason I don't outright dismiss sprint is because of BTB and larger modes, as well as the possibility of Infinite being open world. If a rechargeable sprint is tied to rechargeable thrusters and maps are not designed around sprint, then that could discourage the use of sprint among players to save for traversing long distances or rushing power weapons; essentially, every use of sprint will have an opportunity cost that effects thrusters.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
That's basically where I'm at too, the only reason I don't outright dismiss sprint is because of BTB and larger modes, as well as the possibility of Infinite being open world. If a rechargeable sprint is tied to rechargeable thrusters and maps are not designed around sprint, then that could discourage the use of sprint among players to save for traversing long distances or rushing power weapons; essentially, every use of sprint will have an opportunity cost that effects thrusters.

Even with BTB, I don't think sprint helps anything - you're just arbitrarily giving people a base speed that's too low for the map, all so they can move at the maps proper speed when they put their weapon down. . Why not just make the base speed fast enough for that large area so no extra buttons or readiness compromises are needed? Also making people put their guns away just doesn't add anything of value imo.

Maybe in an open world I'd be more agreeable to Sprint. But I'd prefer it work like stim in Titan fall 2- Trigger it and you simply kick into a higher gear - Still with no shooting penalties. And yeah, they could have it drain and recharge if neccisary.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
My ideal movement for Infinite:

- Sprint
- Clamber
- Slide
- Thrusters (on cooldown)

Ditch the ground pound and hover nonsense. Also get rid of the whole "sprint for X seconds to turn on thrusters" it just looks stupid.

Oct 26, 2017
Even with BTB, I don't think sprint helps anything - you're just arbitrarily giving people a base speed that's too low for the map, all so they can move at the maps proper speed when they put their weapon down. . Why not just make the base speed fast enough for that large area so no extra buttons or readiness compromises are needed? Also making people put their guns away just doesn't add anything of value imo.

Maybe in an open world I'd be more agreeable to Sprint. But I'd prefer it work like stim in Titan fall 2- Trigger it and you simply kick into a higher gear - Still with no shooting penalties. And yeah, they could have it drain and recharge if neccisary.

I don't think adjusting BMS per game mode is the way to go, I think there needs to be a standard between all modes, although SP doesn't need to be as balanced as MP. If there's an effective way to balance out player movement on maps or missions that involve vehicles (because losing a vehicle like in the highway section of Outskirts is a real bitch) without sprint, then I'm all for it. However, I'm not sure accelerated BMS would feel right, and I think sprint is something that's easily communicable to a large variety of players and isn't as compromising to gameplay as some have made it out to be if balanced right. I just want players from all walks to be comfortable when playing, but I don't want it to compromise pace. Most casual fans didn't seem to mind it too much in Reach or even 4, a lot of grievances were directed more at identity issues of the franchise, which I think 343i needs to focus on the most.

My ideal movement for Infinite:

- Sprint
- Clamber
- Slide
- Thrusters (on cooldown)

Ditch the ground pound and hover nonsense. Also get rid of the whole "sprint for X seconds to turn on thrusters" it just looks stupid.

I would be fine with this if sprint were put on a cooldown as well, thruster range were decreased, and if the usage of those two were tied together so that if you drained your thrust in battle, you couldn't just sprint away. Also, if this were implemented, I'd be fine with the removal of the shield recharge block, I think that one's a bit too much for new players; I'm sure there are people who never even knew about that and were turned off from the multiplayer because of it.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder that Moose is booty buttcheeks.
I don't think adjusting BMS per game mode is the way to go, I think there needs to be a standard between all modes, although SP doesn't need to be as balanced as MP. If there's an effective way to balance out player movement on maps or missions that involve vehicles (because losing a vehicle like in the highway section of Outskirts is a real bitch) without sprint, then I'm all for it. However, I'm not sure accelerated BMS would feel right, and I think sprint is something that's easily communicable to a large variety of players and isn't as compromising to gameplay as some have made it out to be if balanced right. I just want players from all walks to be comfortable when playing, but I don't want it to compromise pace. Most casual fans didn't seem to mind it too much in Reach or even 4, a lot of grievances were directed more at identity issues of the franchise, which I think 343i needs to focus on the most.
He's not suggesting to make variable BMS, rather BTB maps designed with BMS in mind in combination with vehicles, like Halo 1-3.
Sprint being changed to a Stim-like ability on a cooldown might be good actually.

Oct 25, 2017
If I were going to get rid of one thing from Halo 5 it'd be clamber. Doesn't add much (just adjust the jumps) and it throws me whenever I play classic Halo now worse than anything else.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

I would be fine with this if sprint were put on a cooldown as well, thruster range were decreased, and if the usage of those two were tied together so that if you drained your thrust in battle, you couldn't just sprint away. Also, if this were implemented, I'd be fine with the removal of the shield recharge block, I think that one's a bit too much for new players; I'm sure there are people who never even knew about that and were turned off from the multiplayer because of it.

I don't want different BMS for different modes. I just want all maps and modes to be designed and balanced around a single speed. When you have a BMS and Sprint to consider, if you try design around one, the other becomes over/under powered. Also map and weapon design becomes a gargantuan task.

I think it's true that many players are now comfortable with having Sprint in their GPS But I don't think it's fair to say not having Sprint will make players uncomfortable. Especially if great care is taken to provide a great sense of speed[i/]. This is why I'm partial to the idea of having a sprint animation occur when running forward - but without the shooting penalty. If it looks fast, and it feels fast, I suspect people won't miss having to put their gun down.

Just a reminder that Moose is booty buttcheeks.

He's not suggesting to make variable BMS, rather BTB maps designed with BMS in mind in combination with vehicles, like Halo 1-3.

Sprint being changed to a Stim-like ability on a cooldown might be good actually.

Yes to all of this. I'm not HUGE on stim, but i think it provides all benefits of sprint (feel like a Spartan) with none of the downsides (wait, why can't Spartans run and shoot) . So I could live with it.

Edit: actually, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of replacing sprint with a stim and tying all thruster abilities to the same meter.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I don't want different BMS for different modes. I just want all maps and modes to be designed and balanced around a single speed. When you have a BMS and Sprint to consider, if you try design around one, the other becomes over/under powered. Also map and weapon design becomes a gargantuan task.

I think it's true that many players are now comfortable with having Sprint in their GPS But I don't think it's fair to say not having Sprint will make players uncomfortable. Especially if great care is taken to provide a great sense of speed[/]. This is why I'm partial to the idea of having a sprint animation occur when running forward - but without the shooting penalty. If it looks fast, and it feels fast, I suspect people won't miss having to put their gun down.

Yes to all of this. I'm not HUGE on stim, but i think it provides all benefits of sprint (feel like a Spartan) with none of the downsides (wait, why can't Spartans run and shoot) . So I could live with it.

My bad for misunderstanding your point about BMS, but in the Campaign it's still pretty inconvenient when you have to trek long distances with no vehicle because it got destroyed.

Also, I think that Stim may have worse repercussions for gameplay than Sprint overall. Players want speed, but not in the sense that they want to move faster; I'm sure most people are fine with Halo 5's BMS. Yes, feeling like a Spartan is also important, but what players really want is to be able to move from point A to point B faster. Stim functions more broadly, and instead makes all movement faster, meaning that although players will be able to get to their destination sooner, it will also effect gunfights in all situations. Players could theoretically activate Stim mid combat, making gameplay a lot messier, increasing the pace and disrupting the flow of combat, as well as widening the skill gap too vastly in some cases. This general accelerated movement combined with thrust will make things even messier as well. Sprint, if implemented well, will only have one practical function, which is to get places faster, and will have relatively no effect on the pace of gunfights outside of the occasional player escaping, but measures can be taken to discourage, or even remove in some cases, that option. Lowering the weapon also discourages its use in combat areas, although I don't think there should be stalled recovery times for shouldering the weapon.

If 343i does not design maps around Sprint, ties Sprint use to Thruster use, decrease Thruster range, and also debases the gameplay from a unidirectional flow, then this would discourage players to even use Sprint on smaller maps, punish those who do because they will enter gunfights without being able to thrust or sprint, and use natural distance and space on maps to regulate player usage of the core abilities; sprint becomes viable on larger maps where thrusting is less important and vice versa. If Halo had the same level design scope and scale as DOOM, then there would be absolutely no need for sprint and I would never advocate for it. But, given Halo's scope and scale, it needs a mitigating feature that doesn't effect the core combat loop too significantly.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
My bad for misunderstanding your point about BMS, but in the Campaign it's still pretty inconvenient when you have to trek long distances with no vehicle because it got destroyed.

I'm in camp "do whatever" in campaign. The AIs don't care so much about balance. Though, I'm weary about the idea of allowing infrequent possibilities (like losing your vehicle in a vehicle section) dictate base mechanics for the entire game. They could just spawn another vehicle, or trigger a fail state, or offer to revert to last checkpoint or something.

Also, I think that Stim may have worse repercussions for gameplay than Sprint overall. Players want speed, but not in the sense that they want to move faster; I'm sure most people are fine with Halo 5's BMS. Yes, feeling like a Spartan is also important, but what players really want is to be able to move from point A to point B faster. Stim functions more broadly, and instead makes all movement faster, meaning that although players will be able to get to their destination sooner, it will also effect gunfights in all situations. Players could theoretically activate Stim mid combat, making gameplay a lot messier, increasing the pace and disrupting the flow of combat, as well as widening the skill gap too vastly in some cases. This general accelerated movement combined with thrust will make things even messier as well. Sprint, if implemented well, will only have one practical function, which is to get places faster, and will have relatively no effect on the pace of gunfights outside of the occasional player escaping, but measures can be taken to discourage, or even remove in some cases, that option. Lowering the weapon also discourages its use in combat areas, although I don't think there should be stalled recovery times for shouldering the weapon.

See, I think one of the main problems with sprint is it requires the player to detach himself from the gunfight. So I'll never be able to get behind an ability that has the sole purpose of getting players from A to B quicker. Either move A and B close together, or let me shoot while moving from A to B quicker.

The drain, would be the counter to using stim while fighting. I imagine doing anything other than Stimming forward would drain it more quickly. And thrust would be pretty much impotent if you don't have a full bar. Players would have to keep that in mind if they plan to bring it into battle.

Having a too wide a skill gap is never a problem. IMO. A game like Rocket League is the perfect example. Really easy to get into casually, but also allows for some extremely advanced technical gameplay at higher levels. That type of dynamic is GOOD for a game's popularity and longevity.

If 343i does not design maps around Sprint, ties Sprint use to Thruster use, decrease Thruster range, and also debases the gameplay from a unidirectional flow, then this would discourage players to even use Sprint on smaller maps, punish those who do because they will enter gunfights without being able to thrust or sprint, and use natural distance and space on maps to regulate player usage of the core abilities; sprint becomes viable on larger maps where thrusting is less important and vice versa. If Halo had the same level design scope and scale as DOOM, then there would be absolutely no need for sprint and I would never advocate for it. But, given Halo's scope and scale, it needs a mitigating feature that doesn't effect the core combat loop too significantly.

It does need a mitigating feature... But I just don't think such a feature needs to or should involve "gun down"

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

This kind of smacks of playing the game the wrong way, to be honest. If you're sprinting in campaign it's to try and get to something faster or cheese your way past an encounter. If you're trying to sprint out you've probably already lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.