• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to MP, Halo 2 is better than H3 in every way except the OP sniper.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
The snow is back in Halo Infinite! At least this new concept art implies it.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/unique-introductions

halo-infinite-e3-2018-concept-4k-ac85a7187a3243c8bcf3cda3a65f9afa.jpg

That made me think of a Fake ViDoc we were creating when I was working with my team on HaloDestiny.net 6 years ago (the ones who made the Halo 3 ODST Fake menu years ago) called Halo Anthology: https://www.halodestiny.net/news-1787-par-l-amitie-et-l-amour-des-fakes-halo-anthology.html

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah put the Halo 3 sniper and it's BTB maps in Halo 2 and it's perfect. H2A is also rediculous.

Facts.

I feel like I could never properly appreciate h3s BTB maps because of the shit weapon sandbox.

I long for the day where someone makes a Halo game based on the best aspects of the previous games as opposed cutting well recieved elements experimenting with stupid shit like RNG utility weapons, grenade indicators and Armor Abilities.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Oh and the Halo 5 pistol is my favorite utility weapon in any Halo. Don't @ me.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
The H5 pistol is awesome, but I wish it didn't seemingly come at the cost of a useful BR and DMR. There's really no reason to use either one over a pistol.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
The H5 pistol is awesome, but I wish it didn't seemingly come at the cost of a useful BR and DMR. There's really no reason to use either one over a pistol.
That's the baggage of having a sequel. If you get rid of the BR and DMR people would be angry. If you change the BR to 5 shot like they did in 4, people again get angry. Not saying it can't be balanced, but that's easier said than done.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Oh and the Halo 5 pistol is my favorite utility weapon in any Halo. Don't @ me.

it's my second favorite, but it's by far the best since CE

this wasn't an issue until 343 inexplicably nerfed them both to oblivion in the tuning update- implementing changes that no one asked for. DMR just needed bullet magnetism reduction (you could get headshots by aiming at the waist). BR just needed a slight unscoped RRR reduction.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I still prefer the DMR and BR... *shrug*

I just don't like feeling hobbled on spawn, and the H5 pistol solves that.

Yeah being hobbled on spawn is bad.

At launch DMR and BR were both upgrades to the pistol.

Since the update they are both downgrades to the pistol.

Really they should both be sidegrades

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah being hobbled on spawn is bad.

At launch DMR and BR were both upgrades to the pistol.

Since the update they are both downgrades to the pistol.

Really they should both be sidegrades

i get what they were going for, making both the dmr and br preferable at longer ranges, but i dont think they were all that successful. I'll pick up a dmr/br as a secondary, but the pistol is better all but the longest sight lines in 4v4.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
i get what they were going for, making both the dmr and br preferable at longer ranges, but i dont think they were all that successful. I'll pick up a dmr/br as a secondary, but the pistol is better all but the longest sight lines in 4v4.

I don't think they were successful at all. I mean the DMR and BR were already preferable at long range. They Were just a little too easy to use effectively.at all ranges

They made them less desirable at range, because the BR now has RNG spread, and the DMR takes too long to get a five shot on vs H5s movement.

Poop Thoughts:

What's worse, the Halo 2 Pistol, the Halo 3 Pistol or Moose?

Halo 3 pistol < Moose < Halo 2 pistol

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they were successful at all. I mean the DMR and BR were already preferable at long range. They Were just a little too easy to use effectively.at all ranges

They made them less desirable at range, because the BR now has RNG spread, and the DMR takes too long to get a five shot on vs H5s movement.

Halo 3 pistol < Moose < Halo 2 pistol
The BR doesn't have RNG spread.

It has consistent vertical recoil.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
booted up Halo 5 a few times recently

man it just feels so damn good, its so athletic, complete freedom of movement and that pistol just exemplifies being a full tilt death machine. Had a few close games and it was great

Then I got steamrolled by some freaks of nature and I was quickly brought down to earth with the harsh reality of extended playtime with this game, its punishing

I dont know what it is about the matchmaking that by the end of every play session my team just gets bulldozed and I ended up just quitting, Im never happy at the end of a H5 session

Deleted member 2563

User-requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Been having a lot of fun playing H3 Comp again. Glad it's seeing a resurgence with these events coming up.

People are still toxic as ever though lol

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't forged in 200+ days but felt the itch yesterday so I tried something out

Basically the idea is a medium sized u-shaped map which isn't something you see very often with a dynamic element where the Pistons in the middle go up and down so you can cross map and throw grenades you can't traverse across it but it at least opens up crossfire.

as per my usual style I had the entire thing blocked out in like 2 hours and then spent the next 4 doing absolutely nothing and I'll never finish it but whatever I made it.

forge is cool.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't forged in 200+ days but felt the itch yesterday so I tried something out

Basically the idea is a medium sized u-shaped map which isn't something you see very often with a dynamic element where the Pistons in the middle go up and down so you can cross map and throw grenades you can't traverse across it but it at least opens up crossfire.

as per my usual style I had the entire thing blocked out in like 2 hours and then spent the next 4 doing absolutely nothing and I'll never finish it but whatever I made it.

forge is cool.

Forge gonna be the Infinite MVP if they play their cards right.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Forge gonna be the Infinite MVP if they play their cards right.

They have the industries best content tool (don't try and tell me far cry is better, it might have more but it's not better suited for it's game) but they cut themselves off at the knees with their lack of implementation into the general playlists and the ridiculous wait times in between content updates and how long the vetting process takes to put custom maps in the matchmaking. I'm really really hoping they took a hard look and can completely streamline this experience because the content is there and they have people willing to help and put it in the work they just have to get it in the game.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They have the industries best content tool (don't try and tell me far cry is better, it might have more but it's not better suited for it's game) but they cut themselves off at the knees with their lack of implementation into the general playlists and the ridiculous wait times in between content updates and how long the vetting process takes to put custom maps in the matchmaking. I'm really really hoping they took a hard look and can completely streamline this experience because the content is there and they have people willing to help and put it in the work they just have to get it in the game.
Yo... The extremely long vetting process is bananas considering many of the maps still release with issues.

That beta/preview playlist they touted really needs to become a thing in Infinite.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was the idea for previous test playlists. It was intended to dump a lot of maps in, run it for a week or so and then see what people found or shook out on the other end, then focus on the popular ones for polished final ones. Less worry about being 100% glitch free or polished was intentional as the playlist was only going to be up for very short amounts of time each time.

Of course, you still have to do the work of assembling the playlist in the first place, so even if you're not doing a hardcore map cert pass on each one that still takes a lot of time. And just due to the numbers game, it's impossible to make everyone happy or even look at every map when it's like 5,000 playable community maps for every 343 employee.

What I imagine though is if Infinite ships with a custom games browser, you'll be heavily encouraged to test your map via that (maybe even a special flag for 'test maps'?) It's a shame it's impossible to have maps self-verify (think racing game map editors or Super Mario Maker) as you'd be able to just have every single self verified map show up in matchmaking.

Oct 25, 2017
That was the idea for previous test playlists. It was intended to dump a lot of maps in, run it for a week or so and then see what people found or shook out on the other end, then focus on the popular ones for polished final ones. Less worry about being 100% glitch free or polished was intentional as the playlist was only going to be up for very short amounts of time each time.

Of course, you still have to do the work of assembling the playlist in the first place, so even if you're not doing a hardcore map cert pass on each one that still takes a lot of time. And just due to the numbers game, it's impossible to make everyone happy or even look at every map when it's like 5,000 playable community maps for every 343 employee.

What I imagine though is if Infinite ships with a custom games browser, you'll be heavily encouraged to test your map via that (maybe even a special flag for 'test maps'?) It's a shame it's impossible to have maps self-verify (think racing game map editors or Super Mario Maker) as you'd be able to just have every single self verified map show up in matchmaking.

In addition to usual submission settings vetting the most popular custom variants for proper inclusion would definitely be a good idea.

I don't really think they should probably have a customs browser at launch, but it shouldn't take half a year or more to add it either. Or, put another way, a customs browser is the least important feature I think needs to be there day one (versus forge, game type and map variety, and file share.)

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Yo... The extremely long vetting process is bananas considering many of the maps still release with issues.

That beta/preview playlist they touted really needs to become a thing in Infinite.
Im not as close to the process as I once was, but I know it can take 6 months to a year sometimes to get stuff through, that's crazy.

I can tolerate a few bugs if maps were rotating in and out every month or so but when you have to wait a year to get a community playlist and the maps have bugs in them it just sucks.

I will have every nilla legacy map remade in Infinite forge in the first week, I expect my forge brethren will follow suite and if they are slacking your boy
proiUVY.png

will bring up the slack.

I want remake playlist as an optional rotation within 4 months MINIMUM

Last edited:
OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
How's this...

1. Custom Games Browser at launch with tags for things like "Forge Map Beta"
  2. Forge Map Testing playlist incorporating top X most popular maps with Forge Map Beta tag uploaded in the last... say, 3 months, with new rankings (and thus, maps) updated on a monthly basis
  3. Particularly well-liked and stable maps "graduate" to regular playlists.
Boom done.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
How's this...

1. Custom Games Browser at launch with tags for things like "Forge Map Beta"
  2. Forge Map Testing playlist incorporating top X most popular maps with Forge Map Beta tag uploaded in the last... say, 3 months, with new rankings (and thus, maps) updated on a monthly basis
  3. Particularly well-liked and stable maps "graduate" to regular playlists.
Boom done.

If 343 can have their own private server(s) that only run test maps then absolutely

i.e.
"This week on the Official 343 Test Chamber we have a select few (Grifball) maps made by the community, feel free to jump in and test them out, if they get a positive reaction they can move forward into Global Matchmaking next time (Grifball) goes live"

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Forge needs a player content driven real time playlist with dynamic composer just for that playlist. Perhaps they could adapt a segment of the custom games browser + composer for a forge playlist of sorts. Quick win?

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Poodlestrike
playing some shitty eleven year olds version of Mexicans invade America for 6 hours, no thanks

I can agree with that but you do want to resolve the issue of slow approval process for forge creations to get into matchmaking right? Do you just want that processed sped up and have less checks etc?

I still don't understand why 343 don't trust forgers such as yourself to approve that process, it's not like they don't let crap slip through often enough. A faster cycle would just patch the bad 1% quicker in reality.

Oct 25, 2017

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I can agree with that but you do want to resolve the issue of slow approval process for forge creations to get into matchmaking right? Do you just want that processed sped up and have less checks etc?
I totally get the intent, I just wasn't sold on your concept of delivery thats all. The approval process is definitely way too long, Hell, Im still waiting..
sVY8Xzi.png

jk (does homeboyd even come round anymore?)

I still don't understand why 343 don't trust forgers such as yourself to approve that process, it's not like they don't let crap slip through often enough. A faster cycle would just patch the bad 1% quicker in reality.
Tbh, I know for a fact I can be build a dozen maps in a month and they could be played in matchmaking settings, maybe some more spawns need to be added or different zones, but fundamentally they always "work", that just comes from experience, Im not special in that, anyone whose been forging at a high level for a long time understands the requirements

NOK could polish a turd like Mexicans V America into a MM quality map (settings wise) in a weekend but the review process is so ass backwards (rip my invite back to 343 lol) it would never matter

I hate being so critical, I love forge so much, I just want these creations to hit the masses, so many great forgers talent is wasted due to the clogged pipeline

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tbh, I know for a fact I can be build a dozen maps in a month and they could be played in matchmaking settings, maybe some more spawns need to be added or different zones, but fundamentally they always "work", that just comes from experience, Im not special in that, anyone whose been forging at a high level for a long time understands the requirements

NOK could polish a turd like Mexicans V America into a MM quality map (settings wise) in a weekend but the review process is so ass backwards (rip my invite back to 343 lol) it would never matter

I hate being so critical, I love forge so much, I just want these creations to hit the masses, so many great forgers talent is wasted due to the clogged pipeline

I saw a little of those conversations from Waypoint moderator days, it was slow, oh yes it was slow. Here's a perfect place to outsource a little work, pay them, get them to stream as part of some contractor agreement etc and then promote them as well. It's pretty straight forward to me, nothing wrong with being critical when it's warranted mate.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a perfect place to outsource a little work, pay them, get them to stream as part of some contractor agreement etc and then promote them as well. It's pretty straight forward to me, nothing wrong with being critical when it's warranted mate.

I like the thinking there, the number one thing we have been asking for is transparency and they have made some progress in that area, but they still need to improve, I have hope that they will because in my opinion they need to.

If yall are familiar with american football, then youre privy to the "hidden yards" that often lead to teams winning, not always the flashy plays, but getting forge content in the game quicker and keeping it flowing could be the hidden yards that keep Halo Infinite going.

alright NOKYARD lets fire up the buddy-forge stream again, wanna officially place invisible blockers in front of a small but dedicated Australian audience for minimum wage with me? Lets vet the shit outta this game

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like the thinking there, the number one thing we have been asking for is transparency and they have made some progress in that area, but they still need to improve, I have hope that they will because in my opinion they need to.

If yall are familiar with american football, then youre privy to the "hidden yards" that often lead to teams winning, not always the flashy plays, but getting forge content in the game quicker and keeping it flowing could be the hidden yards that keep Halo Infinite going.

alright NOKYARD lets fire up the buddy-forge stream again, wanna officially place invisible blockers in front of a small but dedicated Australian audience for minimum wage with me? Lets vet the shit outta this game

LOL. Perhaps a mini ViDoc on the maps then, similar to the map reveals by staffers of old. Or a forgers peak at what is coming to matchmaking next week/month etc.

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
anyway, lots of forge playlists and refreshes being worked on behind the scenes. New one coming out soonish.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
booted up Halo 5 a few times recently

man it just feels so damn good, its so athletic, complete freedom of movement and that pistol just exemplifies being a full tilt death machine. Had a few close games and it was great

Then I got steamrolled by some freaks of nature and I was quickly brought down to earth with the harsh reality of extended playtime with this game, its punishing

I dont know what it is about the matchmaking that by the end of every play session my team just gets bulldozed and I ended up just quitting, Im never happy at the end of a H5 session
whenever this happens to me I play some warzone gametypes. they're definitely kind of uneven in their design but the amount of chaos and long match time ends up being kind of relaxing; you don't really need to think about strategy as much as your moment to moment.

warzone feels like the kind of game mode that makes the extremely good players rage quit rather than the average-low skilled ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.