• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I want it to be representative of our community, so "cool" is right out.

Currently a choice between Mister Chief and that Halo Cycle image, if I can find it.

s5lN1p5.png

jpg'd, misaligned, comic sans'd, resized, but still Halo

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
If you want the banner to look bad and be more representative of the community you can just take a screenshot of FUNKNOWN's Halo stats.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about Halo in another thread and the question was asked about what it would take to get the franchise growing in popularity again.

I think one of the less obvious things is better support for forge and content creators. Like, it really should be a the forefront of community interaction. I used the metaphor: Forge was Roblox/Minecraft before either existed, but discovering other people's content, promoting your own and getting them into matchmaking has always been a convoluted process with this game.

I hope the whole concept of "social matchmaking " moves away from the current, "wait for 343 to curate" process. The Forge platform itself needs to be treated like a social platform. It needs to work more like Roblox, where players can select a community gametype and they'll be matchmade with people who are looking for the same thing. Developers can even apply elo Ranking systems to their games. Creators can also easily promote their creations, push notifications to their followers about updates, and easily promote their creations on social media.

I think this way, you'd see more organic community development on the social side of things. Creators would have more control over building a reputation, And better content would more naturally rise to the top. Most importantly, the community as a whole could act as the testers who determine which maps/gametypes are suitable for official matchmaking, rather giving a few members unfair influence in the process.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
This post hurts more than the slander spewed from Moose's blasphemous piehole.

Moose has darkened the day once more. Stand tall, HaloERA, do not let his influence sway your innocently tainted souls.

bruh, idk what moose could possibly have on you, it would be an honor to have your stats represent us, youre a combined Halo career over 1.3~ K/D player.

You are who I once was and now aspire to be. Ive always valued myself as a 1.25+'er, and in 5 I tanked my KD and am now babby status. For the first time in my video game career I have a under 1.0 kd in a game : (

I did have a 6 month slump on an old tv because I didn't realize it has like 43 minutes of input lag on it and it made me terrible at the game, but still, Im bad

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
And... Header is up. Don't say I don't do anything for yall.

(How's it look on desktop? It's perfect on mobile.)

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
i really hope we get some new info here soon. like maybe in Feb the latest. T_T ....

Im now on the train that next gen and Halo will be spring 2020 not fall 2020, so maybe we aren't as far as I thought.

I think Fall is just too long without turning a profit for 343 tbh and I feel like next gen might also want to start a bit earlier also. idk I could be off, but Ive been expecting H6 for fall 2020 for awhile now and just hoping for a BR offshoot or ODST side game to fill the gap but I think were in it for the long haul now.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Im now on the train that next gen and Halo will be spring 2020 not fall 2020, so maybe we aren't as far as I thought.

I think Fall is just too long without turning a profit for 343 tbh and I feel like next gen might also want to start a bit earlier also. idk I could be off, but Ive been expecting H6 for fall 2020 for awhile now and just hoping for a BR offshoot or ODST side game to fill the gap but I think were in it for the long haul now.

I would even take another "game engine" demo. im desperate for Halo Infinite lol

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
I totally get the intent, I just wasn't sold on your concept of delivery thats all. The approval process is definitely way too long, Hell, Im still waiting..
sVY8Xzi.png

jk (does homeboyd even come round anymore?)

Tbh, I know for a fact I can be build a dozen maps in a month and they could be played in matchmaking settings, maybe some more spawns need to be added or different zones, but fundamentally they always "work", that just comes from experience, Im not special in that, anyone whose been forging at a high level for a long time understands the requirements

NOK could polish a turd like Mexicans V America into a MM quality map (settings wise) in a weekend but the review process is so ass backwards (rip my invite back to 343 lol) it would never matter

I hate being so critical, I love forge so much, I just want these creations to hit the masses, so many great forgers talent is wasted due to the clogged pipeline
I've been looking on my old hard drives and posts from gaf for an article that I wrote about improving the Forge pipeline/funnel system. I'll keep digging for it after work, but as the system has progressed from Atlas to Community Cartographers to ...well whatever it is now, I've grown more and more disappointed with it. I'm still in the group that thinks it can be done well, but I feel like there has to be an in-game aspect that goes beyond people playing it in a custom game.

Also, homeboyd is around if you know where to look.

EDIT: So I found the text document that had the outline, but not the full post.
  • Currently too many maps for too few people to evaluate
  • For every great map that manages to rise to the top, there's a bunch of gems still in the rough
  • Player feedback is lackluster
  • Final decisions lay with 343i, rather than players
  • Automatic detection of issues can mitigate some work -- are there spawns on the map, lowest framerate points
  • Community redistribution -- think SC2 pre-ladder maps (I think this is getting at a test realm)
  • Decrease the time it takes to go from a finished map to seeing it in matchmaking

Last edited:

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Any reason to suspect any Halo Infinite news at the VGAs? I haven't been keeping up with things lately and that's like all I'm really looking forward to right now lol

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if the game that was described as a Halo 5 sequel in its mechanics was scrapped and Halo Infinite is what followed. I've read rumors it was a troubled development and it's possible they changed a lot (I think it was one of the credible Microsoft insiders here). Would explain why the in-engine footage we saw at E3 was just concept and not an actual game.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to believe Halo Infinite is a hoax at this point.

We are not even past 6 months from the initial Halo: Infinite announcement. Building a new engine takes time. Entire studios had to throw away newly build engines, because they exploded in costs or just weren't worth the effort anymore. Some of them were even in danger of having to close down, because of the costs and not so good results. I don't think people understand what kind of risk it is.

Anyways, I don't expect anything prior to E3 2019.

I'm wondering if the game that was described as a Halo 5 sequel in its mechanics was scrapped and Halo Infinite is what followed. I've read rumors it was a troubled development and it's possible they changed a lot (I think it was one of the credible Microsoft insiders here). Would explain why the in-engine footage we saw at E3 was just concept and not an actual game.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reset happened arround the time that Phil Spencer visited 343i in 2017. Could very well be that 343i requested additional funds (and time) during that meeting, in order to build a new engine. Hard to say when they really made the decision, though. Would be interesting to know.

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
Just a suggestion.

Considering the new forum layout, can we NOT have a poll on the thread next time.

It would be nice if we had the option to turn it off, or have it appear to new readers only.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Eh? Wat? No. The in-engine footage was a tour of a location and a look at some tech in progress. Regardless of whether that spot in the valley or even the hog/chief suit etc look identical (they are however glimpses of the in-game assets
and visual direction so you ought to recognize all the components when it releases) in the final game, there's very little throwaway work in that trailer - and even stuff that is shelved or overhauled is likely to have helped understand some underlying design and tech problems.

If we were going to just make a cinematic for tone or plot -- we'd have farmed it out to a good partner like Blur or DD and shared designs instead of taking loads of art and engineering folks offline to polish or advance those elements.

Even the Halo 3 engine demo used the actual engine to show off lighting and visual/design progress. Despite not visiting that exact scene in the game you certainly wore that suit and experienced those lighting models and rendering tech- right down to the Rayleigh and Mie scattering.

Same applies to H2 demo. It's engine and asset progress gathered and polished to show off tech and features.

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
Eh? Wat? No. The in-engine footage was a tour of a location and a look at some tech in progress. Regardless of whether that spot in the valley or even the hog/chief suit etc look identical (they are however glimpses of the in-game assets
and visual direction so you ought to recognize all the components when it releases) in the final game, there's very little throwaway work in that trailer - and even stuff that is shelved or overhauled is likely to have helped understand some underlying design and tech problems.

If we were going to just make a cinematic for tone or plot -- we'd have farmed it out to a good partner like Blur or DD and shared designs instead of taking loads of art and engineering folks offline to polish or advance those elements.

Even the Halo 3 engine demo used the actual engine to show off lighting and visual/design progress. Despite not visiting that exact scene in the game you certainly wore that suit and experienced those lighting models and rendering tech- right down to the Rayleigh and Mie scattering.

Same applies to H2 demo. It's engine and asset progress gathered and polished to show off tech and features.

And possible scope?

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So 2020 for Infinite? I hope we see some more of it at The Game Awards in a couple of hours.

One of my hopes for Infinite is content and variety for Halo on the regular, especially solo/coop/PvE. I'll enjoy Infinite no matter what but having massive delivery cycles creates a giant ostrich egg in one basket scenario. Halo 5 eventually ramped up to great content sustain after missing some at launch initially but I'm hoping for more releases on the regular e.g. Destiny passes/Gambit and PvE more so these days or more maps and gametypes or forge based content polished by devs with real assets quality.

Having Infinite with regular mixed content every 3 or 6 or 9 months gives more breadth and margin for error within design and development diversity as well as story elements. It also creates a long term lifecycle for that engine version while getting to upgrade and tweak it in the wild over the life of the game/audience. Clearly games have moved to GaaS but Halo should really be tooling for that through the A-Z of game development and each segment of what Halo delivers e.g. campaign, coop, matchmaking PvP, PvE modes, customs. I'm just after more variety and experimentation without the penalty of one or two shot all or nothing over long time scales that then have to be sustained after the fact. It would be nice to be out in front of that and I'm confident this is part of the mindset behind a new engine altogether.

Hopefully a now experienced studio building their own engine, already rebuilt assets, sounds, animations, rendering, networking, platform etc and with all the resources plus insight of being a direct MS/Xbox branch they can deliver an engine and design/development pipeline to enable rapid and effective tools as well as content delivery to us the Halo fans.

Shit given the tools of Azure and a new engine for the tail end of this gen and presumable next gen as well I'd like to see some real innovation with Halo again e.g. Gambit/Nemesis systems is really innovative and fresh or procedurally generated maps/content that actually work at very high quality to reduce the repetitive grind aspects or a cloud based world where players engagements and PvE content shape the world e.g. Dreaming City fakes this through AI waves and reset changes (make that based on real time data statistics etc).

Well I went rambling while waiting for the game awards. Best of luck with the new engine and game, can't wait to see what you're shooting for.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It won't be at the game awards. 343i already confirmed Halo will not be at the awards.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
watching someone stream the fortnite creative mode makes me feel personally attacked.

In Halo Infinite, someone will boot up forge and say "they copied fortnite" and a single tear will form in my eye.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
watching someone stream the fortnite creative mode makes me feel personally attacked.

In Halo Infinite, someone will boot up forge and say "they copied fortnite" and a single tear will form in my eye.

Halo continuously gets its lunch eaten

The first video I watched on Fortnite Creative, with 10 seconds, the YouTuber did mention that it's basically Forge.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair eating other people's lunch is the only thing Epic knows how to do.

Lol true but it's good business.

With minecraft, Roblox, and now Fornite I wish halo devs would have realized how powerful and lucrative it could have been to make UGC the foundation of the social experience.

Letting the community play how they want to play is the way forward. It also reduces pressure on the dev trying to anticipate how base mechanical changes will be recieved.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Bethesda has been letting fans do their work for over a decade, I'm surprised more devs haven't caught on yet.
Because most devs know how to make a game unlike Bethesda they don't sit on a issue till people stop buying their games for it.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda has been letting fans do their work for over a decade, I'm surprised more devs haven't caught on yet.

I wouldn't even look at it as "fans doing the work". The devs work load wouldn't reduce- they'd just be able to focus more on adding fun (yet optional) tools to the sandbox instead of trying (and potentially failing) to change the sandbox rules in a way most players still find enjoyable.

They'd still be expected to deliver on the campaign narrative, enemy design, level design, the vanilla MP experience, dev maps, visuals, engine improvements etc. Also on the social side, they'd have to build the backend and in-game social network such that good UGC can be promoted and discovered easily, and can make it into matchmaking with little resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.