• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I never noticed this one... :O

343 are some amazingly good people in person honestly and I have a weird history of accidentally running into them too. Kevin Franklin in a cab to E3, Corrinne Yu waiting in line at E3 (didn't know who she was, was trying to save her from a super awkward conversation) and comiccon getting invited to hang with a few of them, though I wasn't 21 so I couldn't go to the after-party/open bar event they invited me to :(

That's amazing. lol

Oct 27, 2017
The match composer is amazing for getting into games fast. Also for getting a good variety of game types and modes that I normally never see.
There was a 4v4 Halo 4 match where everyone had the same weapons and they switch every 60 seconds to something new. So you're playing needlers for 1 minute, then snipers for 1 minute then hammers etc... It was a lot of fun and not something I'd see in the usual team slayer, team objective playlists I used to stick to.

Hope they bring it to ranked at some point. I'd like to queue up for slayer and objective at the same time.

AustinFordGames

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
I've had a terrible itch to play Halo lately. I don't think I've really played a Halo game since 2016/2017. This is the longest I've ever gone without pouring myself into it. Even when I was a kid I wouldn't go more than a couple days without touching Halo. I even had a podcast that was run with some other people from this community back in 2014/2015.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've had a terrible itch to play Halo lately. I don't think I've really played a Halo game since 2016/2017. This is the longest I've ever gone without pouring myself into it. Even when I was a kid I wouldn't go more than a couple days without touching Halo. I even had a podcast that was run with some other people from this community back in 2014/2015.
I'm the same. I basically played Halo religiously in the Halo 3-REACH days. Since 343 took over I kind of fell off but am intrigued by Infinite. I've been playing MCC lately and it's a really good collection of my favorite games so I'll probably play that until Infinite comes out.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The match composer is amazing for getting into games fast. Also for getting a good variety of game types and modes that I normally never see.
There was a 4v4 Halo 4 match where everyone had the same weapons and they switch every 60 seconds to something new. So you're playing needlers for 1 minute, then snipers for 1 minute then hammers etc... It was a lot of fun and not something I'd see in the usual team slayer, team objective playlists I used to stick to.

Hope they bring it to ranked at some point. I'd like to queue up for slayer and objective at the same time.

Match composer better be a staple of the series going forward. It's the best thing to happen to matchmaking since H2.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope in Halo Infinite there is an option to disable JIP. It's annoying being thrown in the middle of a match where you are playing catchup with the other team or other players.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
343 are some amazingly good people in person honestly and I have a weird history of accidentally running into them too. Kevin Franklin in a cab to E3, Corrinne Yu waiting in line at E3 (didn't know who she was, was trying to save her from a super awkward conversation) and comiccon getting invited to hang with a few of them, though I wasn't 21 so I couldn't go to the after-party/open bar event they invited me to :(

my only experience with bungie/343 staff, in person at least, was a stern talking to (not directed at me) by Jaime Griesemer at the 2004 fanfest. i dont recall specifics but the line to get in must have been getting a little loud/rowdy.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
I have been playing Warzone Firefight lately.

Good times!
For what it is, it's fun. I'd much rather Infinite have a traditional Firefight mode, though, rather than shoehorning in PvE into Warzone. The time limits and round limits make it pale a bit in comparison to Reach or ODST, to say nothing of having to use reqs to call in vehicles.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For what it is, it's fun. I'd much rather Infinite have a traditional Firefight mode, though, rather than shoehorning in PvE into Warzone. The time limits and round limits make it pale a bit in comparison to Reach or ODST, to say nothing of having to use reqs to call in vehicles.

Yeah it was a bit of a shoehorn. A proper Firefight mode separate to Warzone would be great.

Also, be able to build Firefight matches with Forge.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Attacking the AI during Firefight isn't the same kind of thrill as surviving the AI during Firefight. But of course, you'd need to have worthwhile AI to fight in the first place and not just swarms of hive-mind aimbots. I liked how in ODST they hunted you down and got up close and personal.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
ODST had by far the best firefight.

I don't know what it was about Reach which made me dislike firefight but it was nowhere near as entertaining. Even with all the customisation options.

5's is okay, if it had some more interesting objectives it could have been a lot better.

Something like: Deliver a warthog from one side of the map to the other without letting it be destroyed within a time limit. If it is destroyed you need to go back and pick another one up.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
ODST Firefight was Definately the best. I think the lack of customization worked in its favor because because it emphasized the need to be creative and resourceful I'm the moment.

I didn't play too much Reach because I generally didn't like the game, but reading up on its Firefight, it sounds like I might have missed out. They had some interesting sounding variants. Score Attack probably would have been my jam.

Warzone Firefight was just OK . Unlike the others, it was time sensitive objectives but their weren't many objectives and they weren't all that creative or dynamic. I give them kudos for building a gametype that wasn't even planned and having it be one of the most popular in the game. I think it was ultimately held back by the req system. It's tough to keep later rounds interesting when players can all spawn ONI Scorpions. jem i think your right on the money with that objective suggestion. They could even incorporate ideas from arena - have you plant a bomb in a base, steal an artifact and bring it to base, defend multiple territories from enemy takeover etc.

I do hope Infinite reinstates a more classic take on Firefight. I think there's potential to build on what was Warzone Firefight, but it could realistically be branded something else.

Last edited:

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
Attacking the AI during Firefight isn't the same kind of thrill as surviving the AI during Firefight. But of course, you'd need to have worthwhile AI to fight in the first place and not just swarms of hive-mind aimbots. I liked how in ODST they hunted you down and got up close and personal.
I think this is it. The tension in ODST Firefight comes from the aspect of survival and the limited resources as more and more intense enemies are hunting you down. Warzone Firefight doesn't really have any tension except the race against the clock aspect, which ends up being more about hoping your teammates call in more powerful reqs than if they're up to the task of beating two Wardens.

I hardly ever lose in Warzone Firefight. It's too easy to just jack up the req level early feasting on grunts and then call in an uber powerful vehicle that cleans up anything they might throw at you in the later rounds. It ultimately ends up being this semi fun time waster, but certainly not the same thing as ODST.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's always been kind of disappoint that none of these sort of events get held here in Canada. I have missed out on alot of cool Halo and Xbox related events over the years.

We have Fan Expo in Toronto every year, and the upcoming Xbox games are playable there, though I don't know if anyone from 343 ever attends. I attended an XO event a few years ago and met someone from Insomniac games working on Sunset Overdrive (the guy who did all those dev diary videos). Again, not sure if 343 even attends those.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know what it was about Reach which made me dislike firefight but it was nowhere near as entertaining. Even with all the customisation options.

5's is okay, if it had some more interesting objectives it could have been a lot better.

Something like: Deliver a warthog from one side of the map to the other without letting it be destroyed within a time limit. If it is destroyed you need to go back and pick another one up.

I think the forgotten brilliance of ODST's Firefight was its enemy setup and weapon balance. They gave you two highly effective scoped weapons with extra ammo that were great in all the early rounds except tilt, the carbine was essentially a power weapon, and you had brute plasma rifles or plasma pistols as shield strippers.

In Reach the enemy design and AI just turned plain cheap and unfun. One-hit-kill kicks that were basically impossible to avoid if you tried CQC against Elites, Needles that didn't super combine against shields (and an enemy ranged weapon that caused the enemy to dodge around the battlefield making you waste time and ammo) and the addition of bloom for fewer effective options at range. Even landing a plasma pistol overcharge at anything other than close range is tough, and the Elites will always recharge their shields. Reach's gameplay is less fun than ODST and Firefight absolutely suffers because of it.

The one thing Reach FF did illustrate is that an arcade experience like Arcadefight or WZFF is kind of necessary from a matchmaking perspective though. Few people actually want to play a limited survival experience when one random can burn all your lives and ruin things in a wave.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I think the forgotten brilliance of ODST's Firefight was its enemy setup and weapon balance. They gave you two highly effective scoped weapons with extra ammo that were great in all the early rounds except tilt, the carbine was essentially a power weapon, and you had brute plasma rifles or plasma pistols as shield strippers.

In Reach the enemy design and AI just turned plain cheap and unfun. One-hit-kill kicks that were basically impossible to avoid if you tried CQC against Elites, Needles that didn't super combine against shields (and an enemy ranged weapon that caused the enemy to dodge around the battlefield making you waste time and ammo) and the addition of bloom for fewer effective options at range. Even landing a plasma pistol overcharge at anything other than close range is tough, and the Elites will always recharge their shields. Reach's gameplay is less fun than ODST and Firefight absolutely suffers because of it.

The one thing Reach FF did illustrate is that an arcade experience like Arcadefight or WZFF is kind of necessary from a matchmaking perspective though. Few people actually want to play a limited survival experience when one random can burn all your lives and ruin things in a wave.

I think you just reminded me why I didn't bother much with Reach FF. It sounded good on paper but yeah, "cheap" is a good way to describe the encounters.

As far as MM goes, maybe they should give every player their own pool of lives?

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I have more of an appreciation of the mode after getting back into the game recently.

Just curious, how do you feel about Legendary and Mythic bosses? Do you feel like there's always a vehicle involved in taking them down?

Yeah I do.

Scorpion Tank or Gauss-Hog is needed to take out those tougher bosses. I am not expert though.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My understanding is that Jinnouchi composed some tracks already that may still make it into the game. The track from the trailer is his piece, for instance. But they have not announced who will be replacing him at 343.

I remember Marty O'donnel was semi-joking about meeting with Microsoft people a while back. I would bet that someone who worked on Halo related music though.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

They really should've looked to ME3 multi for some inspiration - there were all kinds of objectives there, and Halo has a much broader sandbox.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
By the way, 343 officially confirmed more H3 tournaments for this year: Austin, March 15 - 17, and Dallas, May 31- June 2.

St. Louis starts tomorrow. The prize pool was raised to $40,000. The top six teams gain entry into Austin.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Off topic, but Bungie just left Activision and it sounds like the MS split all over again.

I still can't believe they took their grievances with MS and went to Activision of all publishers.

Oct 25, 2017
Halo Wars 1 has excellent music. The main theme is especially great. Personally i'm not opposed to more experimental music though, i adore Halo 4's soundtrack.

Didn't really warm up to Halo Wars 2's music. Not bad, but not memorable either.

Yeah HW2's score is the only Halo soundtrack thus far that I on the whole found disappointing. As you mention, it's just not that memorable outside of a few tracks, and a lot of it feels like the same clattering percussion cues combined with a lot of bwaaaah.

I think Davidge did a better job than Marty ever did on a lot of the ambient tracks (Halo 4 was the first time since 1 I'd felt that sense of alien come through the soundtrack) but it was weaker on the orchestral/cinematic side of things.

But Salta's the best of all the contenders we've seen to do both, by my reckoning. The Fall of Reach soundtrack nearly justifies that animation's existence, and then there's Halo Online. I'd love to see him unleashed with a full budget, because my main complaint with his work is that they're clearly not done with a full orchestra.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As an old Bungie fan, it is great to see that they are splitting off from Activision. That partnership clearly wasn't working as intended. Hope to see them get back in their groove.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
As an old Bungie fan, it is great to see that they are splitting off from Activision. That partnership clearly wasn't working as intended. Hope to see them get back in their groove.

According to Jason Schreier, Bungie people were appareantly cheering about the news, so I can only imagine what kind of bad partnership it must have been.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah HW2's score is the only Halo soundtrack thus far that I on the whole found disappointing. As you mention, it's just not that memorable outside of a few tracks, and a lot of it feels like the same clattering percussion cues combined with a lot of bwaaaah.

I think Davidge did a better job than Marty ever did on a lot of the ambient tracks (Halo 4 was the first time since 1 I'd felt that sense of alien come through the soundtrack) but it was weaker on the orchestral/cinematic side of things.

But Salta's the best of all the contenders we've seen to do both, by my reckoning. The Fall of Reach soundtrack nearly justifies that animation's existence, and then there's Halo Online. I'd love to see him unleashed with a full budget, because my main complaint with his work is that they're clearly not done with a full orchestra.

Halo 4 OST had some amazing tracks - Solace, Arrival, Revival, Green and Blue, Aliens to name a few.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hrmm, probably should get the Halo 4 OST Volume 2. Only got the first part.
Strangely, i've never been fond of listening to other Halo OSTs out of game.

Oct 25, 2017
Hrmm, probably should get the Halo 4 OST Volume 2. Only got the first part.
Strangely, i've never been fond of listening to other Halo OSTs out of game.

Part 2 is definitely better. I think I posted a big long thing on the old site OT back in 2013 or whenever that it helped me appreciate the game's music much more.

One thing I still don't like about Halo 4 though is the choral treatments in "Revival" and the like. I feel like one of the defining "makes Halo Halo" musical elements is the monks/chant as instrument and texture, rather than a real voice. The Halo opening theme wouldn't have ever worked or as been as mysterious if it was some sanskrit hodgepodge a la "Duel of the Fates". The Didact stuff gets too close in my opinion.

(Also Halo 4 has in my opinion the best version of "Never Forget".)

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I skeptical whether i might regard Vol 2 better, since Vol 1 has the best tracks in Halo 4 as far as i'm concerned.

As for chants and choirs, i love Arrival and Revival is excellent as well. I don't think they're meant to be evocative of Halo's Gregorian chants, and i don't really compare them.

Halo 3 has best version of Never Forget IMO, though Halo 4's is excellent as well. Ironically the said version is only on Halo 3 Mythic disc, for some reason the original uses Halo 2 version. Go figure.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest issue I find with Halo 4 (and Halo 5) is that it feels like when the soundtracks were written and composed they were done so without knowledge of what the mission set pieces were and the music never flowed well within most gameplay moments. For example, On A Pale Horse is placed perfectly in AOTCR and Two Betrayals, This Is Our Land in The Storm, Under Cover of Night in T&R and Two Betrayals, ect, ect. Halo 4 and 5 have moments with the soundtrack, but alot of good music in Halo 4 was not even used in the campaign, only cinematics and Spartan Ops.

Status
Not open for further replies.