• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest issue I find with Halo 4 (and Halo 5) is that it feels like when the soundtracks were written and composed they were done so without knowledge of what the mission set pieces were and the music never flowed well within most gameplay moments. For example, On A Pale Horse is placed perfectly in AOTCR and Two Betrayals, This Is Our Land in The Storm, Under Cover of Night in T&R and Two Betrayals, ect, ect. Halo 4 and 5 have moments with the soundtrack, but alot of good music in Halo 4 was not even used in the campaign, only cinematics and Spartan Ops.

That's a fair criticism. "Haven" and "Solace" are great pieces but they often come off as tone poems rather than being evocative of exactly the moment they're used. I do think Halo 4 still has some of those moments still though (the entire ramp up in "Forerunner" to the Didact reveal is pretty great, and is probably the high point of Halo 4 from a temporal gameplay standpoint because you always have your objectives in sight and mind, something the rest of the campaign fell apart on.)

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that is certainly an issue with Halo 4. There's also that sound editing feels off at times.
Maybe one reason why i like the music out of game, it doesn't get a chance to shine, whereas older Halos tie music to sections strongly, as if the music and the section are complementary halves.

Metroidfan09

Jan 10, 2019
England
I'm hoping Infinite is a return to form after how disappointing 5's Campaign was, Multiplayer was fantastic but nothing on my personal favourites Reach

jem

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest issue I find with Halo 4 (and Halo 5) is that it feels like when the soundtracks were written and composed they were done so without knowledge of what the mission set pieces were and the music never flowed well within most gameplay moments. For example, On A Pale Horse is placed perfectly in AOTCR and Two Betrayals, This Is Our Land in The Storm, Under Cover of Night in T&R and Two Betrayals, ect, ect. Halo 4 and 5 have moments with the soundtrack, but alot of good music in Halo 4 was not even used in the campaign, only cinematics and Spartan Ops.
Not sure I agree with that with regards to 5.

There are a number of moments in which I thought the music really stood out and elevated the moment.

As an example when you're battling through that canyon on Genesis as Blue Team with Crypt playing... I thought it was fantastic. The urgency in the strings in that song really adds to the action.

I do agree that 4 doesn't manage to successfully use its soundtrack though.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hot damn, here's a take I can really agree with! This has always annoyed me, as Halo 4's soundtrack is one of my all time favorites. Halo 3 takes the top spot because each track brings back vivid memories of playing the game while listening to it.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another good example is Enough Dead Heroes in Halo 1. While it was obviously written primarely as a cinematic piece Marty was able to reuse the bombastic part of it at the last section of the first mission and the first couple Hunter encounters in Truth and Reconciliation.

For Halo Infinite they need to go back to writing and composing more individual arrangements that can be peiced together into suites instead of constant 8 to 10 minute suites that more than likely a good chunk of it won't be used in-game for reasons.

Oct 25, 2017
Another good example is Enough Dead Heroes in Halo 1. While it was obviously written primarely as a cinematic piece Marty was able to reuse the bombastic part of it at the last section of the first mission and the first couple Hunter encounters in Truth and Reconciliation.

For Halo Infinite they need to go back to writing and composing more individual arrangements that can be peiced together into suites instead of constant 8 to 10 minute suites that more than likely a good chunk of it won't be used in-game for reasons.

Is that actually how the music was written? I didn't get any sense of that. Certain arrangements don't flow like they do in-game anyhow, that's always been the case though. Marty was just more on-the-nose about "freezing" the music for the soundtracks in the liner notes.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

Sniping in Halo 3 was definitely awesome. It was pretty hard for me, as well, but it was always so satisfying if you connected the shot and the headshot medal popped up. With the added aim assist and bullet magnetism, it just isn't the same anymore and that has been the case since Halo: Reach for me. Everyone can snipe these days and that also goes for noscopes.

Also, this has just reminded me that quickscoping with the Right Stick was never possible in Halo 5, while it was possible with other control layouts.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the hilarious richochets in Halo 3. Sniping in that game was so much fun, never cared for sniper in later Halos.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the hilarious richochets in Halo 3. Sniping in that game was so much fun, never cared for sniper in later Halos.

Snipers on The Pit would always start with people shooting Longhall, in hope to connect a richochet headshot.

Also, I managed to richochet suicide on Octagon once... That was actually hilarious. lol

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've vague recollection of getting (or perhaps my friend getting one, we played a lot of split-screen) a ricochet kill in Valhalla. The base doors being at about 45 degree angle was conductive for this.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
But Frankie, Oddball on Guardian is the least interesting gametype in the rotation.

Really? I love oddball on guardian. That's really the only gametype I can stand to play on it. I think it works well because you can pretty much deal damage to any location on the map from any other location. It's hard to get a "perfect setup" so winning is a matter of individuals pulling extra weight.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, one had to be on constant move on Guardian on Oddball, at least FFA, unlike in some maps where one could use the location to their advantage to keep killing people who try to move in (anything with shield doors comes to mind).

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, one had to be on constant move on Guardian on Oddball, at least FFA, unlike in some maps where one could use the location to their advantage to keep killing people who try to move in (anything with shield doors comes to mind).

This is pretty much correct. Naturally, people will try to find a good place to setup, but nowhere is really safe, so being down a man when your team is scoring forces you to dig deep to maintain control.i think it's the best oddball map.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Sniping in Halo 3 was definitely awesome. It was pretty hard for me, as well, but it was always so satisfying if you connected the shot and the headshot medal popped up. With the added aim assist and bullet magnetism, it just isn't the same anymore and that has been the case since Halo: Reach for me. Everyone can snipe these days and that also goes for noscopes.

Also, this has just reminded me that quickscoping with the Right Stick was never possible in Halo 5, while it was possible with other control layouts.

Here's hoping they have a sniper that's as good as Halo 3's in Infinite (probably not)

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
These hour segments in between games are beyond brutal.
The whole production has been amateur hour. When it started, the player cams were mislabeled and all out of focus. The sound has been off all night and still sounds super quiet. The lack of player gamertags makes the kill feed unreadable. They really need to clean this up for tomorrow.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The whole production has been amateur hour. When it started, the player cams were mislabeled and all out of focus. The sound has been off all night and still sounds super quiet. The lack of player gamertags makes the kill feed unreadable. They really need to clean this up for tomorrow.

I see they haven't learned a thing from the 3 year long failures of streaming H5.

The lack of gamertags is just so bad.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
I see they haven't learned a thing from the 3 year long failures of streaming H5.

It's tough to know what's happening when the kill feed is just filled with "Red 02 kills Blue 03." Like, I understand they had a ridiculous amount of teams register for the event, but it should be totally doable for the main stage to have gamertags.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's tough to know what's happening when the kill feed is just filled with "Red 02 kills Blue 03." Like, I understand they had a ridiculous amount of teams register for the event, but it should be totally doable for the main stage to have gamertags.

Yeah, exactly. I can see side stations having no gamertags just because of how many teams, but the main stage where thousands of people are going to be watching on stream needs gamertags. It's inexcusable and it's happened numerous times in the past with Halo 5 tournaments as well so it's just mind boggling how incompetent these people are.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
shroud and doc talked for like 5 - 10 minutes today on if a halo br would work, doc is a huge believer and shroud wasn't so sure.

I just want to see it to bad, to me, I can totally see it. without all the fuss and superfluous items, abilities, gadgets and stuff from these other games, I want to experience those type of dynamic open world encounters in a pvp context.

I know many of yall see it as a bad word and yet another trend to chase, but I love the in-game narrative that you can create within every game, dropping hot versus dropping soft, going through games with a great loadout versus having nothing and the combat encounters are so different than anything else in the MP realm because they can breakout anywhere at anytime.

If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen, but damn, Id rather see it and it (impossibly in my mind) objectively be a bad experience than never see it at all.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

Has probably to do with how you can't have local accounts on Xbox One and every account requires a E-Mail and Password. Xbox One really wasn't made for offline and LAN play. Huge oversight.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
Has probably to do with how you can't have local accounts on Xbox One and every account requires a E-Mail and Password. Xbox One really wasn't made for offline and LAN play. Huge oversight.
It's odd though, the main stage is the only one I've seen where they're using preset gamertags. They just switched to a non-main stage and there's actual gamertags.

Oct 25, 2017
Get rid of ADS. ill concede on sprint, but get rid of ADS and weapon attachments. Halo 2A and the MCC and the "legacy playlists" show that people want classic halo. not a halo that is playing catch up with "modern trends"

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ill concede on sprint
giphy-downsized-large.gif

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Get rid of ADS. ill concede on sprint, but get rid of ADS and weapon attachments. Halo 2A and the MCC and the "legacy playlists" show that people want classic halo. not a halo that is playing catch up with "modern trends"

Well the people who play MCC are more likely to want the classic gameplay experience, so I'm not sure this works as evidence.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone wants classic Halo but I guess no one wants to watch it. lol

I think this is a weird analysis. Tbf, for Friday viewership, it's pretty close to H5's numbers towards the end , and this is a 2014 remake of a game that came out in 2007. Mind you, this is being hosted by UGC, not Halo.

UGC St Louis 2017 averaged 3800 viewers on friday playing Halo 5.
Dreamhack ATL 2017 averaged 3300 viewers on Friday playing H5
People don't really tune in for the open bracket, in part because it's a bunch of amatuers.

With group play :
HCS New Orleans 2018 had 4k on Friday.
Halo World Championship 2018 had like 7500 viewers on Friday. H2A 2015 Season 2 Finals averaged 8.5K on Friday.

I think the moral of the story is that a new game with a vibrant player population is probably going to pull more viewers than an old game that hardly anyone plays anymore - there's no evidence it has anything to do with classic v modern halo.

Last edited:

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
The stream peaked at over 5k when Tox was on. And then they won three matches in roughly 10 minutes. When they start to get these top six match ups between the real pros going today, I think it'll do fine.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
One of the great under appreciated secrets of Halo is that it's frequently hilarious.

That's absolutely true. Previous games were incredibly full of random hilarious events, like being stuck from the other side of the map or getting splattered by destroyed vehicle pieces (or even cones lol) and a lot of it has to do with how great the physics used to be in Halo games. One of my own favourite examples is this clip, where I betray a teammate with the throw impact of a grenade. The scream just makes me laugh every time.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
The stream peaked at over 5k when Tox was on. And then they won three matches in roughly 10 minutes. When they start to get these top six match ups between the real pros going today, I think it'll do fine.

Yeah, so its actually starting off better than some 2018 Halo 5 events in terms of viewership. And again, this is a Community Organized event. It'll do fine for what it is. A new release, classic inspired halo with dev support would Do very well - especially without the baggage that slowed competitive H2A and H5 growth.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
Yeah, so its actually starting off better than some 2018 Halo 5 events in terms of viewership. And again, this is a Community Organized event. It'll do fine for what it is. A new release, classic inspired halo with dev support would Do very well - especially without the baggage that slowed competitive H2A and H5 growth.
The Austin tournament in March is actually organized by HCS. I'll be curious to see if it does substantially better in terms of viewership. I still think they need to have better prize pools for player and viewer interest. $40K is fine for the first foray back into H3, but I'm really hoping they can do more for Austin.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
The Austin tournament in March is actually organized by HCS. I'll be curious to see if it does substantially better in terms of viewership. I still think they need to have better prize pools for player and viewer interest. $40K is fine for the first foray back into H3, but I'm really hoping they can do more for Austin.
Unless it's a ridiculous amount I don't see how increasing the prize pool will affect viewship.

Increasing the prize pool from $40'000 to say $200'000 isn't going to entice anyone to watch who wasn't already interested. Big prize pools have become pretty normalised in esports now.

A bigger prize pool might encourage some of the older and more well known ex-pros to come back but any viewers who were interested in those guys are probably already watching anyway.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
Unless it's a ridiculous amount I don't see how increasing the prize pool will affect viewship.

Increasing the prize pool from $40'000 to say $200'000 isn't going to entice anyone to watch who wasn't already interested. Big prize pools have become pretty normalised in esports now.
Well, I think for this tournament, we saw some mainstay pros from H2A and H5 decide to stay home because the prize money wasn't enough to justify going. It surely could help to have names like Frosty and Royal 2 here. I think that higher prize pools help get orgs back involved, too, which also helps with viewership to some degree.

In the last couple weeks, though, we did see Denial and Elevate come back to Halo. So hopefully more support follows from some of the bigger orgs.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I think for this tournament, we saw some mainstay pros from H2A and H5 decide to stay home because the prize money wasn't enough to justify going. It surely could help to have names like Frosty and Royal 2 here. I think that higher prize pools help get orgs back involved, too, which also helps with viewership to some degree.

In the last couple weeks, though, we did see Denial and Elevate come back to Halo. So hopefully more support follows from some of the bigger orgs.
As I said, I'm sure a higher prize pool would attract more pros which would be great.

However, anyone who's a big fan of Frosty or Royal 2 will probably already be watching.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i only got to catch the last series yesterday, tox vs whoever, but that and watching some of the rec scrims leading up to the event and its really clear to me just how much faster halo 3 plays than even halo 5 with its sprint and thrust slides.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
i only got to catch the last series yesterday, tox vs whoever, but that and watching some of the rec scrims leading up to the event and its really clear to me just how much faster halo 3 plays than even halo 5 with its sprint and thrust slides.
I think that's at least partially a function of the wonky H3 spawns, that can see opponents spawn directly in front of or directly behind you. Onslaught and Amplified in particular can be pretty harsh for spawn killing.

I'll be curious to see if they make any changes to the map rotation for this reason. Eventually the nostalgia of MLG v8 settings wears off and you realize, oh, Amplified is kinda rough.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
The main limiting factor for viewership is the active playerbase. At this point in the lives of MCC and H5, that's only going to notably grow with a new game- hopefully one that's more suitable for casual and competitive play from the gate.

And when 2 high level teams meet its going to FLY. It's constant action. It's a shame the FoV still makes it seem slow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.