• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I went into it prepared for Halsey to get hammered, so that may have softened my reaction to it. I did find it weird that people would hate Halsey for what she did, but would give Parangosky and Mendez a pass. I can't help but feel THAT is the 'ungainly lore shoveling to setup the games' moreso than Didact and M'dama.

That never bothered me because it's all about blind spots. Mendez feels like he tried to make amends with the IIIs, and Parangosky's anger stems more from being circumvented and lied to. Halsey ends up getting all the flak because she's the convenient scapegoat. There's also something darkly hilarious about BB's attitude towards Halsey considering that he's literally crafted
from the brain of someone who committed suicide over his participation in the program, and who refused to let 'just following orders' absolve him of his own responsibility.

I do think if they'd had one of the ODSTs take a more sober view of things to echo some of the Halo fan's reading of the character it would have helped just to get more opinions into the books and feel less like a Halsey Hate-fest, but I think there was always going to be an issue because people ate up Nylund's authoritarian UNSC as "the good guys" pretty unequivocally even when Nylund himself was writing pretty clearly about how terrible they were.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the love for the UNSC is really Nylunds fault or the fans, in the end the UNSC saves humanity so the content asks you to forgive them for any crazy shit they do. I for one loved the more grounded atmosphere of glass lands, even if the story and characters weren't for me.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Playing Boack Ops 4, what an ugly game due to all of these awful skins in multiplayer. Halo Infinite needs to offer an option to hide skins so we can keep a clean uniform aesthetic.

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
Playing Boack Ops 4, what an ugly game due to all of these awful skins in multiplayer. Halo Infinite needs to offer an option to hide skins so we can keep a clean uniform aesthetic.

Ya, that game has the ugliest skins ive ever seen. You can tell that the devs are just out of ideas, theyll do fucking anything as a skin at this point.

Oct 26, 2017
I've always hated skins in Halo, like not to be a stickler here but who wants to see a pepperoni pizza skin on an AR? I don't want Halo to take itself too seriously (its playfulness is what made to OT so good), but at the same time that's such a cheap way to do it. I'd be fine if there's an option to hide skins like that, but honestly I just don't even want ones like that in from the get-go.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've always hated skins in Halo, like not to be a stickler here but who wants to see a pepperoni pizza skin on an AR? I don't want Halo to take itself too seriously (its playfulness is what made to OT so good), but at the same time that's such a cheap way to do it. I'd be fine if there's an option to hide skins like that, but honestly I just don't even want ones like that in from the get-go.

Yeah but the Mister Chief skin in an instant classic. Gotta leave room for different tastes mate.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
That never bothered me because it's all about blind spots. Mendez feels like he tried to make amends with the IIIs, and Parangosky's anger stems more from being circumvented and lied to. Halsey ends up getting all the flak because she's the convenient scapegoat. There's also something darkly hilarious about BB's attitude towards Halsey considering that he's literally crafted
from the brain of someone who committed suicide over his participation in the program, and who refused to let 'just following orders' absolve him of his own responsibility.

I do think if they'd had one of the ODSTs take a more sober view of things to echo some of the Halo fan's reading of the character it would have helped just to get more opinions into the books and feel less like a Halsey Hate-fest, but I think there was always going to be an issue because people ate up Nylund's authoritarian UNSC as "the good guys" pretty unequivocally even when Nylund himself was writing pretty clearly about how terrible they were.

My issue isn't really with Mendez and Parangosky, or the fact that Halsey is being scape goated- its the fact that no one really calls BS on anyone other than Halsey.

Naomi and Sarin should hate all 3 of these people, if anyone at all. I also think It would have been better if Parangosky's treatment of Halsey was strictly business rather than personal. It doesn't make sense to me that a woman who made a career of lying and killing in the name of "protecting humanity" would be so butt hurt when someone does the exact same thing to her. It DOES make sense that she'd smear Halsey for her own benefit.

Mendez "made amends" by conscripting traumatized orphans, subjecting them to procedures that made them emotionally unstable, then sending them on missions with low survival odds, even for supersoldiers. That's not really a redemption story. But again, I don't really have a problem with Mendez, I just find it weird that no one in the story had a problem with Mendez.

As far as people viewing Nylund's UNSC as the good guys... I have to wonder if they were reading the same books! The best thing about the lore, imo, is that every faction is pretty shitty.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I would never disable Elites because it tells me who all of the brain dead players are at a glance.

Oct 25, 2017
My issue isn't really with Mendez and Parangosky, or the fact that Halsey is being scape goated- its the fact that no one really calls BS on anyone other than Halsey.

Naomi and Sarin should hate all 3 of these people, if anyone at all. I also think It would have been better if Parangosky's treatment of Halsey was strictly business rather than personal. It doesn't make sense to me that a woman who made a career of lying and killing in the name of "protecting humanity" would be so butt hurt when someone does the exact same thing to her. It DOES make sense that she'd smear Halsey for her own benefit.

Mendez "made amends" by conscripting traumatized orphans, subjecting them to procedures that made them emotionally unstable, then sending them on missions with low survival odds, even for supersoldiers. That's not really a redemption story. But again, I don't really have a problem with Mendez, I just find it weird that no one in the story had a problem with Mendez.

As far as people viewing Nylund's UNSC as the good guys... I have to wonder if they were reading the same books! The best thing about the lore, imo, is that every faction is pretty shitty.

I think Parangosky's treatment of Halsey being colored by their history was perfect, because it's her singular flaw. She's gotten to where she is by not being the Bad Guy and spending time gloating before stabbing people in the back and divorcing herself from petty squabbles... but she just can't help herself where Halsey's concerned. It also dovetails into why Osman is so ready to unleash the kill order once Parangosky is gone.

The whole thing about "the greater good" is those sorts of justifications are always easier to do when you're the one in control. ONI probably did more to destabilize things than keep the peace in the postwar period, but since it's all about control it makes sense it colors their worldview. Likewise as Halsey points out Cortana is basically practicing the same principles she once believed in about the ends justifying the means.

I think there have always been a contingent of people who are interested in the military sci-fi aspect first and foremost and thus the fact that the UNSC are a bunch of space fascists is irrelevant versus debating the technical specifications of Archer missiles, etc.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dont see a problem with an option to disable skins and even armor

Goes against the ideal of customising or obtaining hard to get skins/armour though doesn't it? e.g. Bungie head flames. Players killed themselves to get that and show it off. I wouldn't want to grind through a series of tasks just so half the community disable or disregard the achievement so to speak. Just so I can stare at it rather than have my player avatar embolden with it in matchmaking or campaign etc?

I agree the pizza skin fucking sucks but in the age of games like Fortnite gaining such huge populations some conceding of different tastes likely equates to more matchmaking population. Which is something I have to agree with, especially regional Australian population...wink wink. Perhaps we now need Chief with an Esky, grabbing a beer and using a cooling stubby holder emote.

I'm joking on the last line but you get the point.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Variety is great. Why would they limit creativity and fun because you get angry based on your perception of how a game should be?

Have a few things optional,.sure. to dismiss a game because of a character's movement? Lol yeah, you're not buying it regardless with that attitude. Lol

And prepare for sprays/emojis/dances/and whatever else the current trend of MTs are ranking in money with every other popular MP game.

I want Spartan celebrations back. Of course, different than what a Beta for h5 did, but I want them.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
H5 was definitely the worst. It was just the same armors (most of them ugly) repeated in some different patterns to make it look like more. It was a case of quantity over quality.

Give me Reach customization quality please and thank you.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not bothered by skins, victory poses or any of that. As long as I'm enjoying the way the game plays I can overlook all of that nonsense. My issue with following trends is that if you don't learn the right lessons from the market, you end up with some tacked on BS that allows you to check some boxes, but fails to attract the consumers you were aiming for and pisses people off.

the Req pack system was lucrative for Warzone. But I think putting a bunch of ugly, useless, essentially duplicate cosmetic items into the same RNG pool that fueled my Warzone matches just made the progression system more frustrating than fun.

Yeah Fortnite has a ton of goofy cosmetic shit, and it might be prudent to go that route to keep Halo interesting to younger audiences- but Fornite also has a Battle Pass progression system that wipes the floor with Halo's 5s RNG based method of unlocking things.

I think Parangosky's treatment of Halsey being colored by their history was perfect, because it's her singular flaw. She's gotten to where she is by not being the Bad Guy and spending time gloating before stabbing people in the back and divorcing herself from petty squabbles... but she just can't help herself where Halsey's concerned. It also dovetails into why Osman is so ready to unleash the kill order once Parangosky is gone.

I guess I just don't understand WHY she can't help herself where Halsey is concerned. We can be certain that she's scapegoated people more severely for less. I honestly think it would have been better if Halsey was on her shit list because she was the covienient target.

At first, I didn't like how the Brilliant Osman was so easy for Parangosky to emotionally manipulate. But I thought it ultimately was great for her arc when she discovered the truth about her childhood.

The whole thing about "the greater good" is those sorts of justifications are always easier to do when you're the one in control. ONI probably did more to destabilize things than keep the peace in the postwar period, but since it's all about control it makes sense it colors their worldview. Likewise as Halsey points out Cortana is basically practicing the same principles she once believed in about the ends justifying the means.

No argument from me here. This is actually why I thought bad guy Cortana was a logical step for the franchise. I just hate that it had to come via a nonsensical Forerunner stint. We could have gotten to this same point w/o all the fluff.

I think there have always been a contingent of people who are interested in the military sci-fi aspect first and foremost and thus the fact that the UNSC are a bunch of space fascists is irrelevant versus debating the technical of Archer missiles, etc.

True, but the best sci-fi tends to dig a little deeper that "good team vs bad team" and Halo at its best is no different.

Last edited:

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Fortnite has a ton of goofy cosmetic shit, and it might be prudent to go that route to keep Halo interesting to younger audiences- but Fornite also has a Battle Pass progression system that wipes the floor with Halo's 5s RNG based method of unlocking things.
I'd be so down for challenges to return, and having them unlock armor, nameplates, menu music, stances, intro/outro poses, etc. as post launch support. Maybe do seasons like battle passes in other games, but instead of locking people out of that content unless they pay, just make it so that if you want to bypass the progression/challenges then you can purchase them upfront.

There are so many challenge ideas that'd be fun for Halo. Challenges like the typical "Kill X amount of Elites" for sure, but creative stuff like having an ejected Banshee splatter a Grunt, as in hopping out of a Banshee and having that Banshee get the kill. Do a barrel roll with a Warthog off a mancannon. T-bag in certain locations around maps. Even really difficult ones like get one single kill with the Halo 3 Spiker -- just one.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be so down for challenges to return, and having them unlock armor, nameplates, menu music, stances, intro/outro poses, etc. as post launch support. Maybe do seasons like battle passes in other games, but instead of locking people out of that content unless they pay, just make it so that if you want to bypass the progression/challenges then you can purchase them upfront.

There are so many challenge ideas that'd be fun for Halo. Challenges like the typical "Kill X amount of Elites" for sure, but creative stuff like having an ejected Banshee splatter a Grunt, as in hopping out of a Banshee and having that Banshee get the kill. Do a barrel roll with a Warthog off a mancannon. T-bag in certain locations around maps. Even really difficult ones like get one single kill with the Halo 3 Spiker -- just one.

No doubt. We already had challenges. We already had progression based cosmetic unlocks. We've got this wild sandbox, that begs people to do outlandish things. Battle Pass seems like a natural progression of concepts Halo found success with last gen.

Id be cool with a "free pass" that let you unlock everything simply by grinding XP. A "paid pass" that provided boosts, allowing for faster unlocking.

I get why 343 would go after lootbox revenue. But if they are gonna incorporate trends, they gotta be sure to do so in a way that compliments existing strengths.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not bothered by skins, victory poses or any of that. As long as I'm enjoying the way the game plays I can overlook all of that nonsense. My issue with following trends is that if you don't learn the right lessons from the market, you end up with some tacked on BS that allows you to check some boxes, but fails to attract the consumers you were aiming for and pisses people off.

the Req pack system was lucrative for Warzone. But I think putting a bunch of ugly, useless, essentially duplicate cosmetic items into the same RNG pool that fueled my Warzone matches just made the progression system more frustrating than fun.

Dota 2 used to have a battle pass system that gave you cosmetics and also created ad-hoc tournaments on the weekends that I quite enjoyed. That'd be a cool option.

That said, I don't really have many complaints with Halo 5's monetization. They've mentioned looking to Reach's customization as an inspiration and like others have said if they blended the REQ system with Reach's armory where you could save up your RP and straight-up buy the items you want without dipping into RNG, I'd be a perfectly happy camper.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Dota 2 used to have a battle pass system that gave you cosmetics and also created ad-hoc tournaments on the weekends that I quite enjoyed. That'd be a cool option.

That said, I don't really have many complaints with Halo 5's monetization. They've mentioned looking to Reach's customization as an inspiration and like others have said if they blended the REQ system with Reach's armory where you could save up your RP and straight-up buy the items you want without dipping into RNG, I'd be a perfectly happy camper.

I enjoyed Halo 5 well enough with the monetization system it had. But I think it also dampend the sense of progression.

I think a lot of people like rolling a dice and maybe (but probably not) getting the item they want. But I think almost everyone likes getting the things they work for.

I also think something like Battle Pass does a better job of motivating people to participate regularly throughout a season. A common behavior in Halo 5 was jump in, do your placement matches, buy enough gold packs to unlock any new items, then hibernate for a while. If 343 can regularly Come out with new objectives across multiple game modes and new motivations to complete those objectives they can avoid that repetitive feeling.

How'd that Dota system work? Angry Birds 2 had me hooked for a while with Arena. I could see something like that used to make for some friendly competition beyond direct PvP.

Last edited:

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing quite as miserable as having to sit through a game where all of your teammates quit and the other team is just killing you instead of going for the flag capture. GG quit ban

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Halo 5 well enough with the monetization system it had. But I think it also dampend the sense of progression.

I think a lot of people like rolling a dice and maybe (but probably not) getting the item they want. But I think almost everyone likes getting the things they work for.

I also think something like Battle Pass does a better job of motivating people to participate regularly throughout a season. A common behavior in Halo 5 was jump in, so your placement matches, buy enough good parks to unlock any new items, then hibernate for a while. If 343 can regularly Come out with new objectives across multiple game modes and new motivations to complete those objectives they can avoid that repetitive feeling.

How'd that Dota system work? Angry Birds 2 had me hooked for a while with Arena. I could see something like that used to make for some friendly competition beyond direct PvP.

Well, it's gone now, in favor of Dota Plus, which is basically a subscription system where you get to level up your character (you can see your lifetime totals of special kills, multi-hero spells, etc.) as well as more detailed stats on your play. For the seasonal events you also get more shards that you can use to unlock more stats parts for each hero or buy cosmetic sets. You also get quests you can complete for more shards (Use certain items a number of times in a game, etc.) although I think like with the old Halo achievements most people wouldn't like those as game-altering.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
I know no one cares, but changing the clip time to 15 seconds makes going through them way easier, not sure why I left it on 30 for so long.

That being said, this 30 second sequence was pretty interesting ( you can hear the sound drop out in the second while I hit record for the first):

Clip Part 1: Smooth transitions
Clip Part 2: Oops all your face explode

I really do love Super Fiesta.

Snuck up on a sniper, kill him, immediately pick up his binary and murder a guy off in the distance, get shot, swing around and Binary guy while he flails with sentinel beam. Fourth guy trying to sneak up behind me gets delayed with well-timed nade. While I'm waiting for sneaky guy to recover come around the corner, snipe another guy off in the distance- sneaky guy rounds the corner with rockets but gets plastered in the face by an airborne snapshot that also explodes the rocket he just fired. Halo

EDIT: Apparently you can embed xboxDVR clips. Neat

Last edited:

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that is really exciting too. But I feel like whatever it is, has to be happening within the next few months if they are reaching out to streamers. Do we think we'll have Infinite related stuff that soon?
They will probably be inviting streamers out in Late March - May to prepare for a big E3 blowout. Sending a notice now would fall in line with that.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Universal praise and hype for Respawn (who deserve it) for Apex Legends, swooping in and showing how BR should be done when the genre is still hot.

Meanwhile, Halo at 343...

*crickets*

Oh hey at least we can play decade old games better now on MCC.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If Infinite brings back the H5 beta dudebro spartans as default I think I'm out. Leave that schtick for customs. Armor effects were better IMO.

KBcNjL1.jpg

Nah, you can keep your pestilence bro.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Universal praise and hype for Respawn (who deserve it) for Apex Legends, swooping in and showing how BR should be done when the genre is still hot.

*crickets*

I'm read a eurogamer article and it appears Apex is the result of Respawn working on a BR mode for Titan Fall 3, realizing it wasn't Titan Fall, then deciding to shelf Titanfall in favor of BR.

I'm extremely glad 343 wouldn't have a similar thought process. The Halo IP and core experience is much more valuable than Titan Falls ever was, so this type of approach makes more sense for Respawn than For 343.

Also with Halo games typically on a 3 year cycle, there's no way 343 could spit out a BR game withing 2 yrs of H5, and still deliver H:6 in a timely fashion.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

*crickets*

More like, good job 343i for not shelving an entire new game in favor of a cheap BR knockoff.

jem

Oct 25, 2017

*crickets*

I'd rather wait another 5 years than see Halo reduced to a generic BR game.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017

*crickets*

Yeah no, 343i needs to concentrate on making a good mainline Halo game befoe doing any spinoffs.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

*crickets*

I don't agree with this. Not everything needs BR. I'd rather have a good Halo game than another BR game in a saturated market. Also remember the last time Halo tried to chase a trend? We got Halo 4 because of that.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

*crickets*

BR literally killed TF. i dont want the same for halo.

and personally, i was hyped fr apex and finally thought heres the game that could get me into this genre, but nope. BR is not for me. IMO, battle royale would be a diversion of resources in a mode that i just cant stand. no thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.