• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
How does ping compare to Spartan Chatter? I Remember when H5 beta was out, a lot of people complained about how much talking the Spartans did. I for one really appreciated being able to get call out information from people who weren't using mics.in the full release, I think toned back how often they talK.
It's essentially a more contextual only when you want to use it version of that with some visual queus

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It's essentially a more contextual only when you want to use it version of that with some visual queus

That sounds pretty dope. I'll take one of those with a side of no radar.

II do like the how Spartan chatter automatically relays info that teamates should tell you, but often don't. If I see an enemy with a sword, it tells my team that I see an enemy with a sword.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Halo should copy the ping system from Apex, helps with the lack of mics in MP

id be surprised if this isnt picked up by many games moving forward. its great

Radar would have to go fully for it to work, but I'm in favor of that. Probably remove pinging enimies but have an alert that you see them

in a sense halo 5 already does this stuff and perhaps you're right and this is a better fit for halo. i wouldnt mind at least the option of having my in game spartan call enemy locations and other call outs on the fly

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
The ping system is amazing. The sheer number of things you can convey is nuts. Need ammo or a scope? Pin your inventory. See armor you already have? Ping it for a teammate. Hell, if a teammate pings an item you need you can call dibs. All this on top of location and enemy callouts. It's a game changer.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have no issue with enemy pinging provided all it does is show a marker where the "pinger" is aiming, not actually highlight the enemy.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I just think it's a good way to remove the radar while giving more feedback than the radar ever did + allowing amazing team communication without microphones

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Literally just posted about the Apex ping system in that OT. Spoiler: it's fucking aces.

That ping system to bring our 3rd random guy into the tactics is so on point. This shit has to become the default standard in FPS, brilliantly implemented. From pointing our enemies spotted, to naming gear for pickups and defending areas or more. Lovely addition. It works so well I found us two in party chat even using it while talking about other things or game elements. I can't believe for probably 10 years I've been posting about a context sensitive system like this. I've seen Halo put a rudimentary system in place but this voiceover, teamwork and diversity of this ping system by Respawn is god tier. Fucking well done ladies and gents at the studio.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
With all the praises this system is getting, I'd be surprised if it didn't become an FPS standard. It really did just combine the best of what other games have already been doing, but into the ultimate package.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I can see ping working to a degree in Halo, like with marking power weapons that have fallen or marking enemy locations. Could be a simple button press on the upper d-pad.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I can see ping working to a degree in Halo, like with marking power weapons that have fallen or marking enemy locations. Could be a simple button press on the upper d-pad.
Yup it just makes perfect sense in okay with pinging your location for alerts so have a ping where you are standing that only indicates you see enimies but your Spartan can shout which direction from you.

Adds communication without mics

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Halo 5 had a similar thing in campaign mode e.g. defend here, pick this up, attack there. It used the d-pad directions. Extending that contextually to MP for both PvE and PvP modes would be a great addition. It needs to be intelligent and automated as Respawn have implemented. Voiceover work saying the weapon type as well as the waypoint for example. It gives that instant access to make a decision I'll ignore or I'll head for it right now. As for party chat and the evolution of mics this is a very solid progression to getting teamwork back in Halo.

Sea of Thieves has a similar "non-verbal communication system" for its multiplayer and it works really well in matchmaking or parties too e.g. fire the cannons, raise the sails, drop the anchor. Respawn's execution and ping anything in the world abilities deliver simplicity and automation that are indeed game changing for FPS.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Going on this whole ping system, one thing that would also be dope, having the option to react to your medals or others. Like if someone saves me and gets a medal from it, I want to be able to thank them.

Also the system 100% gets rid of the language barrier

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Also the system 100% gets rid of the language barrier
This is one of the best parts honestly.

In one of the my first Apex games I matched with a French guy who chatting away with me having no idea what he was in about. However, using the ping system we coordinated really well and managed to win the game.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the best parts honestly.

In one of the my first Apex games I matched with a French guy who chatting away with me having no idea what he was in about. However, using the ping system we coordinated really well and managed to win the game.
Had a similar experience, me and my friend even added the guy to our friends list lol

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I only realised you can reply to pings from your teammates last night. Super effective.

Also let us face it, players who are eating love this system. I can neither confirm or deny having a mouth full of food in our pparty last night and using just that.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
More feedback without needing to focus on 5% screen estate in the bottom corner for a radar is a great plus.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
More feedback without needing to focus on 5% screen estate in the bottom corner for a radar is a great plus.
Yup, also I keep on wining with randoms without talking in this, it's amazing hahaha
00560e1f019cc12a97ea6533c6c7bdff.jpg

I've won more times in this BR than PUBG or Fortnite and I 100% attribute that to the ping system. Bring ping to Halo!

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

Yes. See Halo 5 did pretty good with the audio design to the point where I feel like I could play without much of the HUD at all. Now If I could get rid of the radar, ADS,
sprint
add Ping, and i'd be in screen real estate heaven.

Last edited:

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. See Halo 5 did pretty good with the audio design to the point where I feel like I could play without much of the HUD at all. Now If I could get rid of the radar, and ADS add Ping, and i'd be in screen real estate heaven.
Yeah Halo 5 is almost there,and 343 has the system kinda working in SP, just bring it fully over the MP with the contexual voices and there we go!

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Playing the MCC from the beginning.

So are the forerunners basically humans from a long time ago, or something else?

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
Playing the MCC from the beginning.

So are the forerunners basically humans from a long time ago, or something else?

No but there were ancient humans living at the same time as Forerunners. I think that was explained (in the games) in some terminal cutscenes they could only clunkily integrate into Halo 4. I don't even know if they work in MCC, I assume so, but it's been a while.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
FOV in Halo has always been way too low, most PC shooters have always used around 90 degrees horizontal whilst the Halo titles stick around the 70s which really isn't good enough on a widescreen display

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Look at this beauty

26977382-b052-4547-839a-5c35d0a1a439.PNG

Look at this monstrosity
3ff19934-2d61-44b7-8615-12992cf2fdac.PNG

e3ab9de8-42e2-4575-853f-937a23e9c7a1.PNG

Again beauty

9964fe16-c5af-4e39-9507-f9ebe5768e2d.PNG

Hideous

6fe9936e-894f-4cf3-893b-a0ef2c05e3e0.PNG

04485558-5997-4b4a-8da9-5af0b324d358.PNG

And of course the obsession with this blue color, so frustrating.

2f4e147e-aa0c-4fa0-b8c8-2a7970bc4925.PNG

I reallllly hope Halo Infinity's art reflects that of the original trilogy + HD remasters more.

It's not just the art style, but the diversity of the assets. Halo 4/5 have a TON of very plain mix and match looking assets, particularly with UNSC structures. It all looked nice in concept art, but didn't translate to the screen.

Halo should copy the ping system from Apex, helps with the lack of mics in MP

I wouldn't like it showing up on the screen, I think too many clear callouts would change the flow, but perhaps a small temporary ping on the radar with a audio callout could be really cool.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I reallllly hope Halo Infinity's art reflects that of the original trilogy + HD remasters more.

It's not just the art style, but the diversity of the assets. Halo 4/5 have a TON of very plain mix and match looking assets, particularly with UNSC structures. It all looked nice in concept art, but didn't translate to the screen.

I wouldn't like it showing up on the screen, I think too many clear callouts would change the flow, but perhaps a small temporary ping on the radar with a audio callout could be really cool.

The trailer is promising and I really hope they deliver this time. Am cautiously hyped and optimistic. With 343 you never know.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
FOV in Halo has always been way too low, most PC shooters have always used around 90 degrees horizontal whilst the Halo titles stick around the 70s which really isn't good enough on a widescreen display

Agreed... But CE played in splitscreen has a godly FOV.

H3 feeling slow is 100 % FoV related

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Arent some of them like 40-50 FOV ?

Maybe if they brought them all to the same as 5 there would feel like a bit more cohesion. Wasn't there just a post about FOV on here? or was that reddit? Either way it was informative

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 2's FoV in the side-by-side 2-player split is somewhere around 44. Halo 3's 4:3 FoV is about 55.

Halo 2, Reach, and I believe Halo 4 are all low-60s for the 4:3 view.

Other than that, everything is 70 and above.
Old but good
http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive38.pl?read=1138638

Halo 3 has always felt so slow, would be nice in particular for that get bumped

I feel like Halo 5 is pretty close to 90 based on what the motion tracker looks like with that vision cone

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.