• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Hopefully Infinite won't be as trash as 4/5. Still waiting for the time 343 actually get a game right. Surely they can hit 1 for 3 right?
Maybe. CEA was a bit of a letdown, 4 wasn't great, MCC launched poorly, 5's campaign was awful (IMO), HW2 was sorta forgettable. In my opinion, their track record is fairly bleak, and yet, I have hope for Infinite due to the support that MCC and 5 have received.

One more chance.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Halo: The Master Chief Collection PC details from SXSW

Here is what we now know about the PC version
-Reach test will be happening sooner than people think
-The test is actually ready to go, they just need a large amount of signups
-The Tests will take place on Steam
-The Title is NOT Play Anywhere but they are looking into options for current owners of MCC
-There will be a big AMA on reddit this Tuesday!
-There will be no crossplay with XBO at launch, 343 themselves WANT to do it, but they
1) Want the game to be finished before doing it
2) Want the community to tell them that they want it (this read to me like they want to community to tell them HOW they want it implemented)

Halo Insider Registration (If you are in, new registration is required)

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone remember how Bungie described the planet Reach as a character in itself? Any thoughts on the place, its feel, etc.?

Back then, i didn't think it really worked. The planet was doomed, and we never were shown people of Reach we'd care about, bustling cities, Reach's famed shipyards (a small space platform and a surface boneyard don't match the reputation), its industry (we see parts of a titanium mine, not enough), or generally its importance to the UNSC and human campaign against the Covenant. Yeah, sure, there's a map where you're supposed to protect civilians, all i remember is that i needed to be extra careful with grenades though since killing a civvie killed the player (not fun!).
And in general, its presence ended up being subsumed by the war with the Covenant. Never got a feeling one would have time to explore a bit more, get a feel of the place.

Now, i still feel a lot of the same but at the same time, i appreciate a lot what Bungie did with Reach as a location. It has effectively establishes itself as the quintessential colony world in my mind. It is untamed, cold, borderline lifeless with deserts and tundra and sparse plant life, as if still being terraformed. Kind of melancholic place really. People live in kind of primitive/rural settlements with kind of unique-looking architecture. It doesn't have much by the way of industry, relying on resource extraction, agriculture and tasks left out from civilized places (ship-breaking, ignoring that it is spaceship breaking here...). Oh, there's a futuristic city but perhaps that was merely the first colony settlement, rest of the planet is as wild as ever.
It doesn't feel like Reach as described in the books... but it feels like more realistic colony on another world.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone remember how Bungie described the planet Reach as a character in itself? Any thoughts on the place, its feel, etc.?

Back then, i didn't think it really worked. The planet was doomed, and we never were shown people of Reach we'd care about, bustling cities, Reach's famed shipyards (a small space platform and a surface boneyard don't match the reputation), its industry (we see parts of a titanium mine, not enough), or generally its importance to the UNSC and human campaign against the Covenant. Yeah, sure, there's a map where you're supposed to protect civilians, all i remember is that i needed to be extra careful with grenades though since killing a civvie killed the player (not fun!).
And in general, its presence ended up being subsumed by the war with the Covenant. Never got a feeling one would have time to explore a bit more, get a feel of the place.

Now, i still feel a lot of the same but at the same time, i appreciate a lot what Bungie did with Reach as a location. It has effectively establishes itself as the quintessential colony world in my mind. It is untamed, cold, borderline lifeless with deserts and tundra and sparse plant life, as if still being terraformed. Kind of melancholic place really. People live in kind of primitive/rural settlements with kind of unique-looking architecture. It doesn't have much by the way of industry, relying on resource extraction, agriculture and tasks left out from civilized places (ship-breaking, ignoring that it is spaceship breaking here...). Oh, there's a futuristic city but perhaps that was merely the first colony settlement, rest of the planet is as wild as ever.
It doesn't feel like Reach as described in the books... but it feels like more realistic colony on another world.

The timeframe for space colonization in Halo has always been a bit wonky. It makes total sense that most of the world is relatively primeval. They haven't been there for hundreds and hundreds of years, and they're not carting off people by the billions to be colonists on the same world.

People want to complain about Halo 5's misleading ad campaign, but nothing from the Remember Reach stuff even related to what was in the game proper.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The timeframe for space colonization in Halo has always been a bit wonky. It makes total sense that most of the world is relatively primeval. They haven't been there for hundreds and hundreds of years, and they're not carting off people by the billions to be colonists on the same world.
Yeah, sure, it is just that most Halo media give impression that humans are kinda quick at terraforming or just got lucky and found planets with human-compatible life.
Remember Arcadia in Halo Wars?

I like the grimness of Reach.
People want to complain about Halo 5's misleading ad campaign, but nothing from the Remember Reach stuff even related to what was in the game proper.
I don't recall anything about Reach's ad campaign really, except that the live-action trailer with the Noble team (especially the director's cut) was really good.

Incidentally, Halo 3's ad campaign was largely unrelated to the game as well. Kinda. OK, the live action trailers showed how Johnson and co. knew where to find the Chief but otherwise, the diorama thing was highly misleading. But very, very good.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Halo: The Master Chief Collection PC details from SXSW

Here is what we now know about the PC version
-Reach test will be happening sooner than people think
-The test is actually ready to go, they just need a large amount of signups
-The Tests will take place on Steam
-The Title is NOT Play Anywhere but they are looking into options for current owners of MCC
-There will be a big AMA on reddit this Tuesday!
-There will be no crossplay with XBO at launch, 343 themselves WANT to do it, but they
1) Want the game to be finished before doing it
2) Want the community to tell them that they want it (this read to me like they want to community to tell them HOW they want it implemented)

Halo Insider Registration (If you are in, new registration is required)

tenor.gif

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MCC is not Play Anywhere? That is surprising and disappointing. Hopefully there is a program to allow current owners access.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

The misleading add campaign isn't really a problem.

The problem is that the ads had a far better narrative than the product they were advertising. That's unprecedented

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The problem is that the ads had a far better narrative than the product they were advertising. That's unprecedented

This. It's not a good thing when the ad campaign and a podcast (Hunt the Truth) tells a significantly more interesting story.

The Halo Reach ads were not really related to the game but gave a general feeling of what would happen. Halo 5s advertisements and what 343 were telling the audience was setting up an epic chase story but all we got was a 30 second cutscene where Chief and Locke had a fist fight.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA

This. It's not a good thing when the ad campaign and a podcast (Hunt the Truth) tells a significantly more interesting story.

The Halo Reach ads were not really related to the game but gave a general feeling of what would happen. Halo 5s advertisements and what 343 were telling the audience was setting up an epic chase story but all we got was a 30 second cutscene where Chief and Locke had a fist fight.

This. Would have rather gotten that Halo 5.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
30 second cutscene where Chief and Locke had a fist fight
Really feels like a scene that should have been gameplay. A boss fight, perhaps from both perspectives.
Of course making a fist fight in a shooter is difficult, and making it a firefight would've changed tone of the scene considerably, not to mention a firefight being far more lethal.

But as it was, it felt like 343i was trying to sell Locke as a badass. He is already a Spartan, thus arguably badass by definition, having a fistfight with the Chief isn't gonna help any. At worst, it is like promoting a pet character just because.

Oct 25, 2017
Really feels like a scene that should have been gameplay. A boss fight, perhaps from both perspectives.
Of course making a fist fight in a shooter is difficult, and making it a firefight would've changed tone of the scene considerably, not to mention a firefight being far more lethal.

But as it was, it felt like 343i was trying to sell Locke as a badass. He is already a Spartan, thus arguably badass by definition, having a fistfight with the Chief isn't gonna help any. At worst, it is like promoting a pet character just because.

I mean, he gets beat. Not really trying to one-up an established fan favorite there.

If you want to point to that in Halo 5, then the cutscene quick-kill of Jul 'Mdama is a far more applicable situation (and something that really should have been gameplay.)

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he gets beat. Not really trying to one-up an established fan favorite there.

If you want to point to that in Halo 5, then the cutscene quick-kill of Jul 'Mdama is a far more applicable situation (and something that really should have been gameplay.)
I have a problem with there even being a fight between Locke and the Chief. It just feels weird, awkward, kind out of place, and at the same kind of pivotal moment it seems criminal to relegate it into a cutscene. Plus there's Locke cracking the Chief's visor, even if he does lose.

That said, Jul 'Mdama is even worse in some ways. Especially since it easily could've been a mini-boss!
Of course, i wouldn't have had him killed there. Too much set up for him to be a greater threat in Spartan Ops... only for it all to be thrown away. Bleh.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be decently lengthy, so bear with me.

I want to talk about changes to the MCC for the PC that might be overlooked among the community. There's a bunch of stuff in the original games that were done out of the restrictions of the consoles themselves. I'm only going to highlight a small handful, but I imagine there are more that could come up.

Halo 3 introduced to the series the concept of user generated content. Due to the restrictions of the Xbox 360, user content was capped at 50 screenshots and 100 total items. Reach changed it so that it was "near-limitless", although a cap was found to be approximately 3000 items. In MCC, some reddit users have said that the cap of total files is 50 maps, 50 gametypes, and 0 saved films. PCs can essentially save a near indefinite number of files and the capability to load them much faster than a console. Additionally, searching for files is much easier on a PC than with the limited console UI.

For the PC version of MCC, I think that they should remove the cap of files that can be saved. This goes for maps, saved films, screenshots, and gametypes. I include screenshots in this group despite print screen existing because the way Halo 3 and Reach handled screenshots was to take 16 high quality screenshots and stitch them together. I'd like to keep it this way as it makes the screenshots clear.

The next thing relating to files is theater files. In all the console versions of the game, whenever a film from an older version of the game is played there's a chance an error will pop up saying that it is from an outdated version of the game or that the file may be corrupted. Starcraft 2 found a way around this by loading up that version of the game, assuming you had an older version downloaded to your PC. Being able to load up an older version of the MCC would help maintain old films.

Customization is a key part of player identity and Reach's player customization is far and away the best and most expansive in the series. In MCC's current state, player's armor is restricted to selecting a set. They are unable to mix and match pieces, which would come as the biggest detriment to Reach. Simply put, changing it so that way players can equip any armor pieces through the games that support armors would go a long way.

I started working on this post right after the PC announcement and forgot about it until the weekend, so my train of thought was mostly derailed. As such, I'm going to leave it at these few things: remove caps on file limits, retain screenshot capture systems for higher fidelity screengrabs, a legacy mode for old film viewing, and a return to each game's original customization.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Customization is a key part of player identity and Reach's player customization is far and away the best and most expansive in the series. In MCC's current state, player's armor is restricted to selecting a set. They are unable to mix and match pieces, which would come as the biggest detriment to Reach. Simply put, changing it so that way players can equip any armor pieces through the games that support armors would go a long way.
This is an absolute must.
Reach has excellent armor selection, and the campaign has strong focus on your Spartan. Not being able to do that would be.... beyond disappointment. (Also add the "DLC helmet".)

I figure the lack of armor options is lesser issue for Halo 3 (few sets only, helmets being most distinctive differences) and Halo 4 (honestly, i couldn't really tell apart most armor, except helmets and even those tended toward similar designs) but if Reach gets armor customization, there should be nothing preventing others getting it as well, and it would be a nice improvement, proper support for the game.

I do wonder if it is feasible to make the game read older video files. Steam does technically allow possibility for rollback to older versions, so offline-only mode for older versions could be implemented. But i wonder if they'll spare time and resources for that?

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
If you've played the H5 Forge MP component on PC you'll also notice that the console origin of that suite means that on average, some wasd players feel that there's about one control function too many for natural setups and player movement - not an issue on controller because of the ability to use all the main triggers, bumpers, buttons and clicks. This is specific to H5 because of the increased mobility - but the original HCE - despite staring as a Mac title, was really Xbox specific and the design was crafted in tandem with the development of the OG Xbox controller. It's not just buttons, necessarily but also designer intent - so that's one of the less clear cut challenges to get right - making these games feel like they were built for PC from the getgo.

I found this section of Stinkles' post from this thread particularly interesting for the outlook of Halo: Infinite. Did he want us to read into it? Probably not, but I'm going to do it anyway. I think the movement mechanics of 5 do add complexity to the control scheme on both keyboard and gamepad, while it may be worse for a keyboard user it certainly has an impact on controller users as well. I think this was one of the larger contributors to 5's high skill floor/ceiling. I don't mind most of the spartan abilities (say for charge), but I do think they need to remove quite a few of them to make sure Halo returns to being easy to pick up and difficult to master. It would also placate those that want a more classic experience. I think they should take a serious look at removing sprint, clamber, SC, slide and hover at minimum to simplify things. I really do like ground pound and thruster, I'd be OK with ground pound being removed as well. Thruster is non-negotiable it should stay, I think it could fit in with a more "classic" Halo experience more so than anything else.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I can't see how you could argue that the movement is too complex for keyboard but fine for controller.

Shift - sprint
Ctrl - thrust
C - crouch
Space - jump

There you go. All movement controls accessable without taking a single finger off of WASD.

Compare that to console where there isn't a single control scheme which allows you to access all the movement controls without taking a thumb off one of the sticks.

I've had to set up a console wide button remapping profile to allow for that.

Edit: actually, my setup doesn't even allow for that, sprint is tied to A.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I mean, There were plenty of controller players who said the game has too many buttons.

I mean we had to sacrifice an entire default scheme and live with a input delay just to fit in ground pound. The we had to Zoom in to stabilize. That was just weird.

They just need to streamline controls. Too many actions requiring too many inputs. Another reason why move speed should be handled exclusively by LS.

Get rid of sprint- full deflection on the joystick makes you move fast.

Get rid of clamber - tapping the jump button mid air let's you stabilize - use this function as a multidirectional clamber.

Last edited:

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I can't see how you could argue that the movement is too complex for keyboard but fine for controller.

Shift - sprint
Ctrl - thrust
C - crouch
Space - jump

There you go. All movement controls accessable without taking a single finger off of WASD.

Compare that to console where there isn't a single control scheme which allows you to access all the movement controls without taking a thumb off one of the sticks.
That's because you plebs aren't using a controller properly. Gotta use the CLAW ;]

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I really want to see more clean, simple armor designs. Playing halo 5 and the design is too busy. Anyone agree?

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you didn't use Bumper Jumper in Halo 3 you were trash.

That is all.
I remember i got a weird phase when playing Lone Wolves in Halo 3 and trying to find advantage at higher skill ranks. I switched to leftie triggers (i'm right-handed), boosted sensitivity to 10 even.
Bumper Jumper didn't feel like it was right...

But as i said, it was a weird phase. Eventually reverted to Bumper Jumper and reasonable sensitivity.

Oct 17, 2018
I remember i got a weird phase when playing Lone Wolves in Halo 3 and trying to find advantage at higher skill ranks. I switched to leftie triggers (i'm right-handed), boosted sensitivity to 10 even.
Bumper Jumper didn't feel like it was right...

But as i said, it was a weird phase. Eventually reverted to Bumper Jumper and reasonable sensitivity.
I kinda did the same with sensitivity once, used 9 sensitivity from 3/4 and was like oh shit what have I done. Played with it for a few months and when I turned it back to 3/4 it felt like I was Goku coming out of the gravity chamber.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting a pro controller tomorrow so I'll never need to touch the main buttons again lol

Got it off a local auction sure for like $70. Looks like someone just took parts (paddles) from it and returned it. Already have the parts to fix that sucker up though just in case and a new white faceplate :)

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I only play Arena in Halo 5 and find games in seconds. Haven't even tried WZ in a very long time, the meta became increasingly frustrating with req additions. Shame BTB died for Warzone, because BTB would still be popular today. Hopefully that will be a good learning experience for 343i.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried Halo 5 with my girlfriend the other day and we couldn't find a game in Team Doubles, so we hopped to MCC and had a blast. A lot of people seem to be coming back for MCC too.

Last edited:

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the region maybe, but in America, MCC has consistently been behind H5 on the most-played lists.

Regular Warzone just isn't that populated anymore and hasn't been since the launch of Warzone Firefight.
I don't think that's true anymore. According to XBL activity charts on Trueachievements, TMCC has been placing above Halo 5 for a while now I think.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
watching saiyan stream h5 and its pulled me away from catching up on the h3 tourney. i miss that game and just cant get into h3 any where near the same level

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
so the thing I absolutely cannot get over is the gamertags on MCC right now, Im cracking up every game, its legit like Im back in xbox live 2007. Been having a blast this week, the hype is back for real, I had an old Reach buddy message me on Facebook and I haven't played with him this GEN, but he wants to catch up and play

How ironic that Halo Reach could end up saving Halo lol

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only play Arena in Halo 5 and find games in seconds. Haven't even tried WZ in a very long time, the meta became increasingly frustrating with req additions. Shame BTB died for Warzone, because BTB would still be popular today. Hopefully that will be a good learning experience for 343i.

Get yo butt into btb super Fiesta. I'm going now because one day I will spawn with the Answer and Arrow of Time.

I found this section of Stinkles' post from this thread particularly interesting for the outlook of Halo: Infinite. Did he want us to read into it? Probably not, but I'm going to do it anyway. I think the movement mechanics of 5 do add complexity to the control scheme on both keyboard and gamepad, while it may be worse for a keyboard user it certainly has an impact on controller users as well. I think this was one of the larger contributors to 5's high skill floor/ceiling. I don't mind most of the spartan abilities (say for charge), but I do think they need to remove quite a few of them to make sure Halo returns to being easy to pick up and difficult to master. It would also placate those that want a more classic experience. I think they should take a serious look at removing sprint, clamber, SC, slide and hover at minimum to simplify things. I really do like ground pound and thruster, I'd be OK with ground pound being removed as well. Thruster is non-negotiable it should stay, I think it could fit in with a more "classic" Halo experience more so than anything else.

No? I specifically called out complaints from players who played a certain way. Also I post credits caveated my relative antiquated pc basis.

Oct 17, 2018
so the thing I absolutely cannot get over is the gamertags on MCC right now, Im cracking up every game, its legit like Im back in xbox live 2007. Been having a blast this week, the hype is back for real, I had an old Reach buddy message me on Facebook and I haven't played with him this GEN, but he wants to catch up and play

How ironic that Halo Reach could end up saving Halo lol

I need to try and find a new name for my Xbox account. I'm assuming that even if we do play on Steam, we'll be required to use our XBL account names? It sucks having to find a name these days though since so many are taken.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
No? I specifically called out complaints from players who played a certain way. Also I post credits caveated my relative antiquated pc basis.
I didn't think that's what you were saying mind you, I was just using it as a springboard to talk about the movements complicating the game.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I need to try and find a new name for my Xbox account. I'm assuming that even if we do play on Steam, we'll be required to use our XBL account names? It sucks having to find a name these days though since so many are taken.

I've made the decision to keep my admittedly terrible 'nillapuddin626' so I'm jealous of the funny and unique names that I used to see all the time, the Halo 3 kill feed always being, (this person) killed (that person), was such a comedy gold mine back then.

I just wish 12 year old me would have come up with a better name, although my first ever xbox live name was PimpDaddyCane, so atleast that didn't stick

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
I've made the decision to keep my admittedly terrible 'nillapuddin626' so I'm jealous of the funny and unique names that I used to see all the time, the Halo 3 kill feed always being, (this person) killed (that person), was such a comedy gold mine back then.

I just wish 12 year old me would have come up with a better name, although my first ever xbox live name was PimpDaddyCane, so atleast that didn't stick
PimpDaddyCane is leagues better than nillapuddin

jem

Oct 25, 2017
watching saiyan stream h5 and its pulled me away from catching up on the h3 tourney. i miss that game and just cant get into h3 any where near the same level
Likewise. With all the excitement around MCC because of the PC release I hopped on and played a few games. It was fun but I just found myself wanting to play Halo 5 the entire time...

I don't think that's true anymore. According to XBL activity charts on Trueachievements, TMCC has been placing above Halo 5 for a while now I think.
There's something a bit dodgy with the way TrueAchievements does their data collection. It's always significantly different to the official most played lists.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know anything about how TrueAchievements most played list works compared to the official one?

Status
Not open for further replies.