• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2018
Just give me ranked with no sprint, spartan abilities, recoil, wall clambering, ads, and BR being the GOAT again and I'll play that shit till the end of time.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Played 3 or 4 games of KOTH in splitgate, not bad. A bit chaotic as expected with jetpacks and portals. It's pretty solid and found some Aussie servers that had full games as well. I'll play it a little more but it's not something I could get "serious" about as the movement and gunplay aiming isn't spot on how I like it. Bloody fine effort putting it together as well as they have, the beta is quite polished. They appeared to have designed their maps very well around their sandbox mechanics too. I can see how there is map knowledge and teamwork to be had here.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
anyone going to outpost?
one of my longtime Halo couple friends are going and now I think I might go with my buddy.

I mean, its gunna be cool right? Worth a 2 1/2 hour drive

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't afford to go but i would in a heartbeat.
anyone going to outpost?
one of my longtime Halo couple friends are going and now I think I might go with my buddy.

They have one about an hour away from where I live but I don't know if it will be worth it/what exactly will be there. If it was confirmed we could play infinite there then it would be a lot more enticing.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
anyone going to outpost?

Probably going to the Orlando show, the VR experiences sound like they could be fun and since I won't have any other way to play these its hard to pass up the chance. I'll be going solo though, my wife is not interested lol.

Oct 26, 2017
Have we finally forgiven Halo 4's soundtrack for daring to be different and recognized how great it really is? I remember it catching a lot of flack for not being another package of sweet Marty mixes around release.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have we finally forgiven Halo 4's soundtrack for daring to be different and recognized how great it really is? I remember it catching a lot of flack for not being another package of sweet Marty mixes around release.
I've seen Halo 4 receive more praise for its soundtrack than negativity, especially around launch. There were a lot of comments around it feeling heroic and bombastic, although different from the sense of wonder and mysteriousness of the previous games.

Oct 25, 2017
anyone going to outpost?

Gonna' be at Philly.

I still hold the opinion that I liked Marty's cinematic stuff more, but that Davidge was the first time since CE (and CEA) that the ambient tracks really captured that sense of alien wonder and mystery.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen Halo 4 receive more praise for its soundtrack than negativity, especially around launch. There were a lot of comments around it feeling heroic and bombastic, although different from the sense of wonder and mysteriousness of the previous games.
I saw a fair few comments who didn't like the more electronic aspects.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

I always liked H4s soundtracks. I think the gameplay moments the tracks were attached to were less memorable, and that impacted the soundtracks reception

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Playing the MCC is such a bummer right now. It's finally working good enough to get frequent matches and to have fun. I'm mainly playing ranked doubles right now and enough people are playing to constantly get games. But the servers are incredibly poor. The latency is really bad, not to mention that I'm on US servers the majority of the time.

Playing on foreign hosts already used to be quite the disadvantage. But currently it feels like a severe disadvantage. Maybe it's because I'm spoiled by modern day net codes. Anyway, such a bummer they weren't able to bring the net code of (at least H3, the other games seem a lot better) the game in to the modern era.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
H5 BTB refresh live, includes one flag CTF:
The highly-anticipated Big Team Battle Refresh is now live in Halo 5! Our team has been working with the best Forgers in the community to build, polish, and tune these large-scale battlegrounds for the 8v8 action only Big Team Battle can provide. We've also coordinated with the top scripters out there to add the fan-favorite round-based mode, 1 Flag CTF, to the playlist. Keep reading to find out what's been improved with Big Team Battle!

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
uC2EDb6.png

"While Magnum starts did feel really good, we noticed a lot of players didn't feel the need to pick up any other loadout weapons.
BR and AR variants weren't finding much use, and it is still quite easy to shoot out a Warthog gunner with Magnum starts. "

*gives players BR's to start with*

I like Randy and probably alot of those people, but naw dude

Last edited:

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ozzy Onya A2Z There is hope for us yet.
uC2EDb6.png

"While Magnum starts did feel really good, we noticed a lot of players didn't feel the need to pick up any other loadout weapons.
BR and AR variants weren't finding much use, and it is still quite easy to shoot out a Warthog gunner with Magnum starts.
"

giphy.gif

The fact that they won't even TRY BTB Pistol starts as a playlist is incredibly disappointing. It's quite shameful to be honest.. How long has the community be [literally] begging for this?

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
uC2EDb6.png

BR and AR variants weren't finding much use, and it is still quite easy to shoot out a Warthog gunner with Magnum starts.
"

When were these comments made? This isn't post-tuning is it?

It would be crazy if the sandbox was originally balanced around magnum, but magnum btb never happened. Then they made the sandbox balance even worse, and use that as an excuse to not have magnum starts.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yes and more yes. Good on the Forge community once again. I truly hope they really open up Halo Infinite PC and Xbox Forge. Allow real scripting and mods etc. MS you want another Minecraft? You've been sitting on it this whole time.

Hopefully an indicator of where 343 want to go in future as well. I wish the studio would give some dev polish to this community maps. Textures, custom object models etc. Something for pushing that next step.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
When were these comments made? This isn't post-tuning is it?

It would be crazy if the sandbox was originally balanced around magnum, but magnum btb never happened. Then they made the sandbox balance even worse, and use that as an excuse to not have magnum starts.

that quote is from the exact article today talking about settling on BR starts

We know that there has been lots of discussion surrounding the starting weapons in Big Team Battle, and after doing multiple playtests with a variety of starting weapons, Randy 355 has written up a short section of his own to talk about it further.

Several months ago, we created a feedback thread for Big Team Battle. One of the questions we asked was about the player's starting weapons, keep in mind that we would not be able to tuning how any of the weapons behave. There were a few particular starting weapon suggestions that stood out the most. It was mostly between Magnum Starts, Stabilization BR Starts, or the standard BR Starts. We did some testing with all of these variants to see which starting weapon would best fit our overall goals.

We started our tests with the Stabilization BR. The Stabilization BR does feel great for mid-range infantry encounters. That said, over several tests we found that the weapon's accuracy over such long distances had a detrimental effect to map flow. It made it difficult to traverse across open maps, especially for less-skilled players. There was less encouragement to move about the map in search of better weapons off of spawn. Vehicle play and specifically Warthog gunners also suffered at the pinpoint accuracy of the players spawning with Stabilization BR. There was fun to be had with this starting weapon, however, it did not fit our goals for the refresh.

We played Magnum starts for a long time. While Magnum starts did feel really good, we noticed a lot of players didn't feel the need to pick up any other loadout weapons. BR and AR variants weren't finding much use, and it is still quite easy to shoot out a Warthog gunner with Magnum starts. Magnum starts is also a trait seen in our Arena offerings and we feel it's a plus for BTB to retain its own style of play with BR/AR starts.

After all of our testing, we eventually chose to stick with the BR/AR loadout we've always had. We know there are some players that will not be happy with this decision, but we took each request very seriously and gave them all a fair chance. Now every map in the playlist has a variety of precision weapons to use and will feature 5 or more Magnums. Sometimes you'll even find a Tactical Magnum to use! The BR still allows a player to defend themselves off of spawn, but they can now find a Magnum variant if they prefer that crisp, precise kind of action. We feel it's a great compromise and it feels good to tear it up with the Magnum when you find one.

In order of writing it says

we tried Stabilization BR starts
  • it was too accurate,
  • casual players got spawn killed
  • players didnt search for other weapons
  • Warthog Gunners were killed too easy
We tried Magnum starts
  • ppl didnt want to pick up AR/BR
  • still "quite easy" to kill Warthog Gunners
  • other game modes have magnum starts
we went back to AR/BR starts
  • but hey now there are atleast 5 magnums on each map
  • now BTB will have its own "style of play"
  • BR will let you defend yourself, but pick up a magnum when you want

Last edited:

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alternatively, they could've made Stabilization BR's on-map pickups so people would want to replace the Magnum. It is odd though how they're eluding to the Magnum being OP; I've never felt that way about it.

I don't know man, it doesn't make sense how they refuse to give us a playlist or even a Magnum variant to coincide with BR starts when we still have to put up with AR starts in TMCC. Fishy as hell.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm glad they made it so you can capture a flag when yours is away. Without that, CTF matches drag on far too long. Might have to reinstall and give it a go now!

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
We tested Magnum starts for months. I was one of the early proponents and eventually changed my mind after seeing players pick off warthog gunners from across the full length of Dead Heat. Love the Magnum but the magnetism toward gunners is stupid OP. One of our objectives with the playlist was to finally get players back in vehicles in objective modes. You can't do that when players spawn with a Magnum. If we had the ability to make weapon adjustments it would have been a different story.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
that quote is from the exact article today talking about settling on BR starts

In order of writing it says

we tried Stabilization BR starts
  • it was too accurate,
  • casual players got spawn killed
  • players didnt search for other weapons
  • Warthog Gunners were killed too easy
We tried Magnum starts
  • ppl didnt want to pick up AR/BR
  • still "quite easy" to kill Warthog Gunners
  • other game modes have magnum starts
we went back to AR/BR starts
  • but hey now there are atleast 5 magnums on each map
  • now BTB will have its own "style of play"
  • BR will let you defend yourself, but pick up a magnum when you want

Sigh...

Man, I don't even know what to say anymore

Alternatively, they could've made Stabilization BR's on-map pickups so people would want to replace the Magnum. It is odd though how they're eluding to the Magnum being OP; I've never felt that way about it.

I don't know man, it doesn't make sense how they refuse to give us a playlist or even a Magnum variant to coincide with BR starts when we still have to put up with AR starts in TMCC. Fishy as hell.

Yeah the magnum has never been OP- they just made everything else underpowered, then they lament when people don't want feel compelled to try other weapons.

Rather than fix the actual problem, they just put a bandaid over the whole mode.

W/e, we're so late into the cycle that is impossible to justify making the proper fixes. Here's hoping we go into Infinity with the proper balancing philosophy. Our even better - let players define weapon properties in forge.

Last edited:

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
We tested Magnum starts for months. I was one of the early proponents and eventually changed my mind after seeing players pick off warthog gunners from across the full length of Dead Heat. Love the Magnum but the magnetism toward gunners is stupid OP. One of our objectives with the playlist was to finally get players back in vehicles in objective modes. You can't do that when players spawn with a Magnum. If we had the ability to make weapon adjustments it would have been a different story.

Well that's a real shame, I gotta say when I'm playing btb I don't feel like I can just pick off warthog gunners at will, so that just shows how much I suck

Im sure yall did your due diligence, I just personally don't agree.

Today on the daily sports show I listen to was unpopular opinion day for the callers, maybe I'm just wound up.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh...

Man, I don't even know what to say anymore

Yeah the magnum has never been OP- they just made everything else underpowered, then they lament when people don't want feel compelled to try other weapons.

Rather than fix the actual problem, they just put a bandaid over the whole mode.

W/e, we're so late into the cycle that is impossible to justify making the proper fixes. Here's hoping we go into Infinity with the proper balancing philosophy. Our even better - let players define weapon properties in forge.
I don't even think the other weapons are underpowered as they have plenty of uses in certain situations where the Magnum might be harder to use. Automatics are all pretty useful, precision weapons all have their uses, power weapons are all good, etc. The only precision weapon that is arguably worse than the Magnum is the standard BR, but even that has its uses with being a good close range weapon that allows for sweeping headshots.
I don't know man.. People have been begging for just a simple test for years now, but we never get one. That's incredibly disappointing.

Plus, surely you'd agree the data would be better if tested on the public, so I don't think closed tests are necessarily strong support of never trying Magnum starts.
Well that's a real shame, I gotta say when I'm playing btb I don't feel like I can just pick off warthog gunners at will, so that just shows how much I suck

Im sure yall did your due diligence, I just personally don't agree.

Today on the daily sports show I listen to was unpopular opinion day for the callers, maybe I'm just wound up.
It's not like they had to remove BR starts entirely. Why not just throw in a Pistol starts gametype to rotate with BR starts? Just give it a smaller % chance of appearing, but nope.

Wack I tell ya, wack!

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even think the other weapons are underpowered as they have plenty of uses in certain situations where the Magnum might be harder to use. Automatics are all pretty useful, precision weapons all have their uses, power weapons are all good, etc. The only precision weapon that is arguably worse than the Magnum is the standard BR, but even that has its uses with being a good close range weapon that allows for sweeping headshots.

I don't know man.. People have been begging for just a simple test for years now, but we never get one. That's incredibly disappointing.

Plus, surely you'd agree the data would be better if tested on the public, so I don't think closed tests are necessarily strong support of never trying Magnum starts.

It's not like they had to remove BR starts entirely. Why not just throw in a Pistol starts gametype to rotate with BR starts? Just give it a smaller % chance of appearing, but nope.

Wack I tell ya, wack!

I think if their data shows a general reluctance to use other loadout weapons with magnum starts - then they've failed to give those weapons enough utility.

Maybe underpowered isn't the correct word to use. But given the frequency of engagement types in BTB (close, mid, long) I can understand why people wouldn't pickup other loadout weapons given how shallow the their use cases are compared to the mag. But that's what happens when range & dps are the only pertinent factors when weapons are balanced.

I hope they take a long hard look at CE when balancing Infinite's suite.

Last edited:

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
The tests were open to anyone. We also invited dedicated BTB groups, pros, and streamers to sample the maps and provide feedback. I even put an invitation in here and received no responses.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017

Wack I tell ya, wack!

QFT triple threat

I'm with you all the way on that one funk, but hey I love ya NOKYARD so I hope you don't take it personally, I'm certainly not blaming you, just my opinion

I just personally don't love the way that was handled, kinda like funk said, I just don't see how a weekend playlist with Mag starts, or even a low weighted gametype in the hopper would hurt anyone.

Saying your starting weapon is not a good choice because it was too good and people weren't switching it out and then giving BR doesn't make sense though. Unless there's just something about the BR I am completely missing.

I did participate in some map tests, and I'm just not sure that's the best format, I look forward to this "open and flighting" persona 343 has seemingly adopted and hope we have more flexibility in matchmaking settings and experiments.

Nobody would quit the game forever if for a weekend BTB was pistol starts, let's be honest only the hardest of core Halo players have been playing the past 2 years anyways, we're in it for the long haul at this point, but I digress

Also I feel bad Nok if you feel like you have to answer to that, it's not fair and I know it's not your responsibility, you keep doing you my man, I know you help in every way you possibly can.

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
I can tell you that almost everybody in the refresh Discord channel favoured Magnum starts so we did give it the best shot possible. It's too bad Mag starts and promoting vehicle use were opposing goals within the current sandbox. The Magnums on map were a last minute addition likely to help prevent outright boycotts (i assume, wasn't present for the sandbox decisions), which is why you see contradictions in the bulletin.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I never get in anything other than a gauss turret in Halo 5, because the magnetism towards the turret is too heavy for all precision weapons. Easy picking for infantry.

Oct 17, 2018
BR >>>> Any gun in Halo. My favourite gun in any FPS, and one of many reasons I disliked Reach. If BR isn't a top weapon in a Halo game, it's a shit Halo game.

Status
Not open for further replies.