• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
In another "God, I feel old" moment...

I want to post, but I forgot my "preferences" :(

edit: I finally guessed correctly! :)

<3 HBO

random thought, back when I was in college, for fun I did an all CSS makeover of HBO as a tuneup in my spare time, Wu didnt want to switch but appreciated it and I had alot of fun making a few different versions

hbo_mockup_4.png

also, holy shit at that date, wow

for the uninitiated this is what it normally looks like (on a 1024 x 720 monitor lol)
iVjN9Y8.png

Last edited:

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017

I didnt really glance at it until now but these news topics are funny, Halo 4 prototype McFarlane, HCEA Kinect Library, Shield & Sword from Levi (Gamefreak better look out for his lawyers), GrimBrotherOne posting on HBO

man, those were the days.

Im a little fuzzy but I seem to remember having quite a bit of crossover between GAF and HBO back then, maybe a dozen or so people on both

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda forgot E3 is around the corner....

Now my Anxiety is fever pitch. I expect some extreme reactions to whatever is shown... Like, it'll either be the best thing ever or the worst thing ever.

I'm not ready.

I need a barn leak to temper my expectations

This time of year is the best. E3, WWDC, summer (save for the brutal city heat), and then The International in August.

I want to post, but I forgot my "preferences" :(

edit: I finally guessed correctly! :)

<3 HBO

random thought, back when I was in college, for fun I did an all CSS makeover of HBO as a tuneup in my spare time, Wu didnt want to switch but appreciated it and I had alot of fun making a few different versions

hbo_mockup_4.png

also, holy shit at that date, wow

for the uninitiated this is what it normally looks like (on a 1024 x 720 monitor lol)
iVjN9Y8.png

Cross your fingers that sooner rather than later HBO will be getting a screen-responsive front page and maybe a more usable skin over the forums (anything beyond the main page, though, LOL.) Claude's got a lot of stuff on his plate though.

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
Cross your fingers that sooner rather than later HBO will be getting a screen-responsive front page and maybe a more usable skin over the forums (anything beyond the main page, though, LOL.) Claude's got a lot of stuff on his plate though.
I remember a friend saying he installed Windows 3.1 on an old computer as a joke. The only website he could successfully navigate to was HBO.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we played HBO in the Reach Halo Community Tournament and those fuckers made us play CTF AR Starts on a shitty BTB Forge Map. I recall some stupid last minute cap they made too. Might be a video of it somewhere.

We still won the matchup tho

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
Me and my son Adam made that last minute heroic play. I drove. He planted as i took an elevated position, and i was the only player left alive as it exploded.

Shoulda picked me for your team.

Oct 25, 2017
The script for a chunk of the end scene was in a Halo 4 vidoc and not properly hidden.

I remember the ending cutscene of Halo 3 leaked too. I didn't believe it was real because the audio was wonky so it sounded like a bad fan effort.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
The script for a chunk of the end scene was in a Halo 4 vidoc and not properly hidden.

I remember the ending cutscene of Halo 3 leaked too. I didn't believe it was real because the audio was wonky so it sounded like a bad fan effort.
Im going to avoid making a joke at the halo 3 ending's expense here

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do we have any idea what Infinite's story framework is?

I'm expecting Cortana's revolution to be short lived, like 3 missions in resolved short.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC

I'm expecting Cortana's revolution to be short lived, like 3 missions in resolved short.
I'm holding out that evil Cortana is a Cortana fragment infected by Forerunner AI, becoming a different Cortana.

And then real Cortana is chilling somewhere, surviving due to advanced Forerunner tech, and she'll come back into play. Maybe some living Forerunners also - let's explore that Didact/Librarian stuff.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm holding out that evil Cortana is a Cortana fragment infected by Forerunner AI, becoming a different Cortana.

And then real Cortana is chilling somewhere, surviving due to advanced Forerunner tech, and she'll come back into play. Maybe some living Forerunners also - let's explore that Didact/Librarian stuff.

Nice idea there, I'd go for that. I'm sure they want to keep Jen Taylor and Cortana in the campaign as much as possible.

It was so interesting with all the extended Halo 4/book bits being for Didact/Lib but it all just disappeared with Halo 5. Seems they just wanted to tie it all up rather than extend or build from it.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tales From Slipspace already confirmed that the Cortana in Halo 5 is a rampant fragment.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017

I expect the beginning to establish a status quo where she and chief have to work together against a larger threat, and their dynamic through the game is about re-establishing trust and referencing the whole conflict we weren't there for. I highly doubt we'll still be in the heat of what we saw set up for any time in the game.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is correct. One fragment was distracting the Warden while the others were bypassing his defenses.

All the fragments shared a common goal.

They were all rampant fragments by the end of it which is why Cortana is the way she is in Halo 5. As far as we know the original Cortana is gone.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Yall remember how it was kinda hinted that MC had the Geas of the Iso-Didact and they never really explored that? Still makes me mad the Didact in general got sidelined.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not sure what 343i is intending to do with Infinite from a story perspective but I don't think it is wise that they keep sidelining important characters and shelving plot points. Halo 5's opening cinematic hints at ONI ordering Locke to kill Halsey and another character (Probably Cortana or John 117) and I would hate for that plot point to get ignored in the games as it sounds like an interesting direction to take the story.

Basically, 343i needs to stick to their guns while improving the overall story.

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that only some fragments are rampant makes no sense in that if you could successfully split off the rampant parts of an AI you could theoretically hold rampancy off indefinitely but that's never discussed.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea that only some fragments are rampant makes no sense in that if you could successfully split off the rampant parts of an AI you could theoretically hold rampancy off indefinitely but that's never discussed.

I think it's simply misunderstood by players, Cortana was never fully cured of rampancy as she is not only clearly insane at this point, but she is in essence incomplete.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is correct. One fragment was distracting the Warden while the others were bypassing his defenses.

All the fragments shared a common goal.
I think they clarified the misconception that Halo 5's Cortana was a rampant fragment, so unless I'm pulling that out of my arse, you're right.

In other words, Halo 5's Cortana is the same Cortana we've known since Halo 1, just batshit crazy.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
They were all rampant fragments by the end of it which is why Cortana is the way she is in Halo 5. As far as we know the original Cortana is gone.

I guess. I mean I really don't know how to interpret it. Only the rampant fragments of her survived?

There's never any sort of conformation that the fragments that reach the domain were all normal or rampant. Just that there was a bunch of them working together to gain access to the domain.

I think a lot of people took the "I'm just a fragment" line to mean the Cortana we see in H5 is just a rampant fragment. But she isn't.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
God, the lore is such a mess. I've pretty much given up on trying to keep track of things. I fully expect Halo Infinite to start with the Chief fighting an alliance of insurrectionists and flood led by Zombie Jul M'Dama on the Greater Lesser Secret Ark, located in the Andromeda Galaxy ("read the graphic novel to find out how we got here!").

Oct 25, 2017
I guess. I mean I really don't know how to interpret it. Only the rampant fragments of her survived?

There's never any sort of conformation that the fragments that reach the domain were all normal or rampant. Just that there was a bunch of them working together to gain access to the domain.

I think a lot of people took the "I'm just a fragment" line to mean the Cortana we see in H5 is just a rampant fragment. But she isn't.

There are no rampant fragments, in that Cortana was rampant and every piece of her is going to exhibit the same problems as rampancy is depicted. There was no "good" and "evil" Cortana at the end of H4.

People clinging to the fragment line are people who just refuse to believe Cortana could be an antagonist and are looking for reasons to explain how it's not "their" Cortana. 343 has unfortunately indulged them.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
There are no rampant fragments, in that Cortana was rampant and every piece of her is going to exhibit the same problems as rampancy is depicted. There was no "good" and "evil" Cortana at the end of H4.

People clinging to the fragment line are people who just refuse to believe Cortana could be an antagonist and are looking for reasons to explain how it's not "their" Cortana. 343 has unfortunately indulged them.

Yeah.This is my take as well, but if course they could choose to take things in a different way of they want to...

So at this point, I'm just "w/e" about the whole thing... I just hope the game is fun...

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno where y'all get your lore from. Halo 5's Cortana was denied service at a cantina because "her kind isn't served here" and "that her and her droids would have to leave." She decided that robots should rule the galaxy after seeing some gnat get his arm chopped off by an energy sword.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone had any thoughts about what ammo will look like in a potentially more open and less linear halo? Its depressing whenever dead marines are evenly sprinkled across an environment so you can refill human weapons at regular intervals, and given open world design it'd have to be a literal graveyard to account for the player heading in literally any direction. Think they'll increase the ammo limit for campaign?

---

Don't overthink the lore. The entity we think of as Cortana made a decision on what she thought was right and proceeded from there.

I firmly believe it won't matter to the story whatever specifically happens during her takeover, and if it does it will be heavily referenced as something that happened and only matters as something in the past. I think they want to get back to the thing of these characters knowing more about their world than we do.

Who knows how that will last with the inevitable supplemental novels (i know one was already written about post halo 5, dont worry) but i expect the whole thing of having the actual detailed backstory of the entire mysterious culture explored outside of the games to stop. The outside fiction will play in the space the games set up, not the other way around. This doesn't mean no prequels and explanation, but more just less bombshells with wide-reaching implications and more attempts at sci fi storytelling that stands on its own as a self-contained drama

This is all just based on how theyve talked about infinite

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I find it kind of amazing they have 12 pages worth of things to talk about, considering MCC is essentially a greatest hits album of Halo polished up.

And that's not me being snarky or anything, it's just weird because I don't think we ever had that much info from developers working on totally original content.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I find it kind of amazing they have 12 pages worth of things to talk about, considering MCC is essentially a greatest hits album of Halo polished up.

And that's not me being snarky or anything, it's just weird because I don't think we ever had that much info from developers working on totally original content.
It's a greatest hits album with a bad rep. They're probably going extremely granular into specific improvements in order to show how serious they are about making it a quality product.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
It's a greatest hits album with a bad rep. They're probably going extremely granular into specific improvements in order to show how serious they are about making it a quality product.
That's definitely true, they have a bit of a redemption arc to make happen, don't they?

Them commiting to bringing Reach and MCC to PC already makes me happy, but if they wnat to make my truly ecstatic, they'll give Halo 3....well, maybe not the full Anniversary treatment, but if they could give the game basically some touch-ups to amke it look better, then I'd be pretty happy. As it stands, if we include the anniversary editions, then Halo 3 will be the worst looking game of the Halo series. It looks bad enough to look dated, but not so outdated as to warrant the full Anniversary makeover that Halo 1 and 2 got. But I'd still like for it to get a little something.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Been playing Splitgate Arena Warfare since it's officially released. I have to say it's a good time. It reminds me a lot of H5 and not in a bad way either. I don't know how well it'll do ( it peaked at like 11k players on release). However, it's F2P and it definitely scratches that Halo itch until it comes to PC.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Been playing Splitgate Arena Warfare since it's officially released. I have to say it's a good time. It reminds me a lot of H5 and not in a bad way either. I don't know how well it'll do ( it peaked at like 11k players on release). However, it's F2P and it definitely scratches that Halo itch until it comes to PC.
how is the TTK and weapon balance?

Oct 17, 2018
Splitgate actually feels like such a ripoff of Halo it's insane. Their maps also seem massively copied from Halo. One map I'm 100% sure is just Lockout.

Also team balance is trash so you'll end up getting people on your team who go literally 0-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.