• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
what are the odds we get a infinite multiplayer reveal at xo or gamescom ala the esports like match at gamescom 2015 for halo 5?

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone* wore deodorant!!
Outpost was great, definitely have some feedback, but overall had an awesome time.

I miss some of the people from HaloGAF. Prior to Halo 4s release was good shit when Kyle and people would just shit talk 343.
I got my kicks out of the team slrp versus team salt era, but it wasn't all great
I wonder what became of kyle j and juices?
Hard to say, so many names just disappeared, like tears in the rain

Yo enfinit, where you at homie?! I never got to deliver you that pizza?

what are the odds we get a infinite multiplayer reveal at xo or gamescom ala the esports like match at gamescom 2015 for halo 5?

I mean we were playing the official Halo 5 beta like 10-11 month before release if I'm not mistaken, it doesn't seem crazy.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say pretty low, honestly. I think we'd have gotten more at E3 if that was the case.
have to agree. which i kind of find odd, considering how aggressive they've been about insisting all future halo games will have extensive betas/flights. but i guess if they're going to be running said tests for longer periods it might make sense to start them closer to release.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

There's a decent chance I'd say.

Hopefully they go with a BTB reveal, or some other sandbox heavy mode to be avoid the "too much esports" criticism.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
There's a decent chance I'd say.

Hopefully they go with a BTB reveal, or some other sandbox heavy mode to be avoid the "too much esports" criticism.
they'll be fine re: that as long as they don't have shoutcasters speak a single word.

the halo 5 thing was fascinating because of how authentic it was to halo match commentary and how absolutely unsuited it was for a big press conference stage. i was kind of digging it just cuz of how ballsy it was, but obviously it was incredibly off-putting to a lot of people (many of whom were unaware halo even had a competitive scene, let alone that matches were often commentated like this)

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
they'll be fine re: that as long as they don't have shoutcasters speak a single word.

the halo 5 thing was fascinating because of how authentic it was to halo match commentary and how absolutely unsuited it was for a big press conference stage. i was kind of digging it just cuz of how ballsy it was, but obviously it was incredibly off-putting to a lot of people (many of whom were unaware halo even had a competitive scene, let alone that matches were often commentated like this)

It set the course for EVERY issue with the game being blamed on "competitive focus", despite it being a ludicrous assertion.

So yeah, they need to make it clear early on that the game is for everyone.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
It set the course for EVERY issue with the game being blamed on "competitive focus", despite it being a ludicrous assertion.

So yeah, they need to make it clear early on that the game is for everyone.
leading with their big Warzone/Invasion equivalent would make a lot of sense, definitely. especially if the normal multi will be much more conventional.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the timeline for marketing this game seems sort of odd... I've gotten the impression that they want to hold off on showing gameplay until Scarlett is ready to show off, which won't be until next E3 most likely. But when it comes to flighting, they're going to have to do it on PC and Xbox One anyway, but would spoil the reveal - leaks will happen regardless of strict NDAs. But then when will flight tests be? It gives them a window between June and November of next year I guess, but depending on the scale of community input they want that may not be enough time depending on how the multiplayer, or even campaign (if more than just a campaign) are received. Really hoping Xbox's marketing strategy doesn't interfere with 343i putting things out there at appropriate times for proper feedback.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the timeline for marketing this game seems sort of odd... I've gotten the impression that they want to hold off on showing gameplay until Scarlett is ready to show off, which won't be until next E3 most likely. But when it comes to flighting, they're going to have to do it on PC and Xbox One anyway, but would spoil the reveal - leaks will happen regardless of strict NDAs. But then when will flight tests be? It gives them a window between June and November of next year I guess, but depending on the scale of community input they want that may not be enough time depending on how the multiplayer, or even campaign (if more than just a campaign) are received. Really hoping Xbox's marketing strategy doesn't interfere with 343i putting things out there at appropriate times for proper feedback.
after mcc they won't dare not have a ton of extensive testing. I think that they're just going to keep buttoned up on campaign until 2020, and all flighting/betas will be based on multiplayer. if campaign is as ambitious as its been implied then it seems like the real venue to show off Scarlett and such, and probably the place where there'll be the most drastic variance between versions.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
If MCC goes well, Infinite has a good chance to be one of the high selling titles in the franchise. Everyone will be hyped from playing MCC. The strategy makes sense to me. You slowly roll out titles and the culmination is the release of Infinite.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
If MCC goes well, Infinite has a good chance to be one of the high selling titles in the franchise. Everyone will be hyped from playing MCC. The strategy makes sense to me. You slowly roll out titles and the culmination is the release of Infinite.
is it confirmed its going to line up like that? i got the impression it might take a long time for every title to be on pc

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they can just show it off on PC whenever they want. There's PC hardware out now that's more powerful than the Scarlet. I think we'll see something for Halo Infinite multiplayer around the Game Awards, then flighting in January of 2020.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
I miss some of the people from HaloGAF. Prior to Halo 4s release was good shit when Kyle and people would just shit talk 343.
This is how I know you weren't around then. Prior to Halo 4, we had Reach and it was mostly positive towards Halo 4. Sure, there was the news that random ordnance was a thing, universal sprint, and perks--I mean armor mods, but we also had stuff like the h4br.gif. 343i had done a decent job of making Reach more playable. It wasn't until around week 3 or 4 of Halo 4 that the tide fully changed. We realized Spartan Ops was recycled content, that they actually were serious about random drops(and weren't going to change it), that there was no ranked modes, and that the feedback about Reach wasn't quite put into place.

Also of note: Heckfu made a phone wallpaper that was Take Care and Beli343.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is how I know you weren't around then. Prior to Halo 4, we had Reach and it was mostly positive towards Halo 4. Sure, there was the news that random ordnance was a thing, universal sprint, and perks--I mean armor mods, but we also had stuff like the h4br.gif. 343i had done a decent job of making Reach more playable. It wasn't until around week 3 or 4 of Halo 4 that the tide fully changed. We realized Spartan Ops was recycled content, that they actually were serious about random drops(and weren't going to change it), that there was no ranked modes, and that the feedback about Reach wasn't quite put into place.

Remember how everyone hated Camo as an AA in Reach? Remember how 343 brought power-ups back for Halo 4, but kept Camo as an AA.... and even buffed it?
And remember no red X's?
What a weird time lol.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Remember how everyone hated Camo as an AA in Reach? Remember how 343 brought power-ups back for Halo 4, but kept Camo as an AA.... and even buffed it?
And remember no red X's?
What a weird time lol.
Remember how there was no Mk. V in Halo 4 at launch and then they made the same dumb mistake with 5?

Oct 17, 2018

I was around starting about the beginning of 2012, so I'm not old guard. But shit posting about Halo 4 was good times.

I was pissed about no ranking system, and lo and behold, I was right :^)

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to tell what the development on Halo: Infinite actually currently looks like, but if I was 343i, I'd probably host community polls. Like, you could let the community vote on little things like helmets that should definitely be in Halo: Infinite on launch for example. Obviously, set a limit to like 3 helmets or whatever actually is realistic and call it a day.

Always wondered why they never did this. Maybe it's not a feasible way to gather feedback? Don't know, just something that I thought about while seeing Nilla's poll and the results.

I just bought Halo 5.

What have I gotten myself into?

For what purpose? SP or MP? Both?

If for SP... the gameplay is pretty solid outside of Promethean enemies and especially the Warden Eternal. The story isn't solid at all, though, so if you have questions then feel free to ask and I'm sure some of us will try to answer them for you.

If for MP... well... I don't know what you want in your MP games. If you are more the classic type of person, they are having CE, 2 and 3 Throwback Playlists from time to time, with Halo 3 being the current one in rotation and it's actually pretty okay. If you are more the "modern" type of MP person, then Quick Play is the way to start. By far the best maps in that playlist with easy enough rules. Depending on when you play, it can actually take a while to find matches, though.

Either way. Have fun.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought Halo 5.

What have I gotten myself into?

If you haven't played a Halo before and want to learn how weapons and vehicles work, including alternate fire modes - Big Team Super Fiesta. If you want to lock in the headshot meta, Slayer and SWAT will teach you how to think about stick control and mobility. If you want to play Campaign first it'll teach you a lot of that stuff too, but I think people want the Warden Eternal fight to be harder and more repetitive so I'm thinking maybe we make you fight him six times.

BTW thanks to all the Era folks who attended Outpost Discovery. The fans were amazing and it's true, I didn't smell a single noseblind zealot the entire time. And Flordia was NASTY. I had my deodorant fail and my glasses (literally) fog up every time I stepped outside the AC.

Papasmurf531

May 2, 2018
If you haven't played a Halo before and want to learn how weapons and vehicles work, including alternate fire modes - Big Team Super Fiesta. If you want to lock in the headshot meta, Slayer and SWAT will teach you how to think about stick control and mobility. If you want to play Campaign first it'll teach you a lot of that stuff too, but I think people want the Warden Eternal fight to be harder and more repetitive so I'm thinking maybe we make you fight him six times.

BTW thanks to all the Era folks who attended Outpost Discovery. The fans were amazing and it's true, I didn't smell a single noseblind zealot the entire time. And Flordia was NASTY. I had my deodorant fail and my glasses (literally) fog up every time I stepped outside the AC.

I'm just happy the roof didnt cave in on Sunday! There were plenty of leaks due to the storm.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just happy the roof didnt cave in on Sunday! There were plenty of leaks due to the storm.

Actually I walked through the other Convention center halls - and they were having much more invasive issues. Really weird since Florida should be used to having torrential rainfall. I wouldn't even call the three days of weather I saw a storm at all. Just little pockets of thunder and rain.

Magni

For those that play Halo 5, are Social games usually pretty even? I feel like every game I get in MCC ends in a steaktac for one of the teams. Played 6 games today, had one end 50-48 (swat h2a forge with terribad spawns), one 50-38, and then the rest were blowouts: 50-13, 50-13, 50-12, and 50-ZERO (Colossus Slayer BRs against people who were switching to their SMGs...).

I may be completely misremembering things, but IIRC that 50-38 would have felt like a blowout in H3 or Reach Social (any win by more than 10 really). I definitely don't remember ever winning 50-0, or going 25-0 in any game back in those days (and I'm way worse now than I was then). Steaktacs felt rare, and when they happened, the losing team was usually at or close to 30. Nos more often than not they're not even halfway there.

I'm glad I'm finding games relatively super quickly nowadays, but I wonder if the system is too eager to find players (that or the population is too low 😔).

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
but I think people want the Warden Eternal fight to be harder and more repetitive so I'm thinking maybe we make you fight him six times.

giphy.gif

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those that play Halo 5, are Social games usually pretty even? I feel like every game I get in MCC ends in a steaktac for one of the teams. Played 6 games today, had one end 50-48 (swat h2a forge with terribad spawns), one 50-38, and then the rest were blowouts: 50-13, 50-13, 50-12, and 50-ZERO (Colossus Slayer BRs against people who were switching to their SMGs...).

I may be completely misremembering things, but IIRC that 50-38 would have felt like a blowout in H3 or Reach Social (any win by more than 10 really). I definitely don't remember ever winning 50-0, or going 25-0 in any game back in those days (and I'm way worse now than I was then). Steaktacs felt rare, and when they happened, the losing team was usually at or close to 30. Nos more often than not they're not even halfway there.

I'm glad I'm finding games relatively super quickly nowadays, but I wonder if the system is too eager to find players (that or the population is too low 😔).

Caveat: I'm looking at recent broad based data, not your specific situation. For MCC - it's harder because the population is spread waaaaasay wider and more unevenly.

Social Games with good population playlists usually end very evenly in aggregate. Looking at stats, if you're seeing consistent or consecutive blowouts, then you might be in an outlier. There are plenty of outliers - if you're in (H5) Super Fiesta for example, evenly matched teams can suffer blowouts just because of the dice roll of weapon spawns - a couple of great snipers using chat can wreck disorganized teams - even if every individual is evenly matched.

There are lots of spikes that can happen - some just normal statistical spikes (exceptions proving the rule) or quitting, asymmetrical holidays, free to play weekends, or specific network conditions. Obviously the matches in less popular lists, social or ranked are subject to the laws of probability as well as our criteria.

PM me your gamertag and I'll take a look and see if there's anything unusual happening to you. MCC and H5 still have remarkably high and stable populations for a games of their vintage and the playlists are built to adjust to the waxing and waning.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Please explain the baffling decision to not have Seattle or Eastside as a destination.

LOL

I dunno what it was but social matchmaking in Reach was AMAZING for the wrong reasons. A group of us from here would go into Squad Slayer/Objective matches and just STEAM roll. Consistently win by 10-15 or more points. That's the whole reason the Oddball Swordbase meme came about. We were matched with such idiots that we could purposely drop the oddball into the middle of sword base while we had maybe like 20 seconds of advantage on it and the enemy team would just blindly rush the objective while we stood above them on the catwalks and balconies and just tossed grenades and DMR fire on them.

The best part was how the stats were organized on bungie.net at the time.

Peep those win streaks and spreads http://halo.bungie.net/stats/reach/playergamehistory.aspx?vc=3&player=Tawpgun&page=25

Last edited:

Magni

Caveat: I'm looking at recent broad based data, not your specific situation. For MCC - it's harder because the population is spread waaaaasay wider and more unevenly.

Social Games with good population playlists usually end very evenly in aggregate. Looking at stats, if you're seeing consistent or consecutive blowouts, then you might be in an outlier. There are plenty of outliers - if you're in (H5) Super Fiesta for example, evenly matched teams can suffer blowouts just because of the dice roll of weapon spawns - a couple of great snipers using chat can wreck disorganized teams - even if every individual is evenly matched.

There are lots of spikes that can happen - some just normal statistical spikes (exceptions proving the rule) or quitting, asymmetrical holidays, free to play weekends, or specific network conditions. Obviously the matches in less popular lists, social or ranked are subject to the laws of probability as well as our criteria.

PM me your gamertag and I'll take a look and see if there's anything unusual happening to you. MCC and H5 still have remarkably high and stable populations for a games of their vintage and the playlists are built to adjust to the waxing and waning.

Thanks for the details! I mostly play H1/H2/H2a 4v4 Slayer/Objective/SWAT/Snipers, with the occasional H3, so there should be people. I'm in Japan, but I always end up playing on US West servers, so there should definitely be enough people online there. Today's games were on my lunch break, so evening on the west coast.

Oct 17, 2018
I just want Halo 3 to hurry up and release on PC. ElDewrito is boring af because players are bad and most people only play shitty BTB or Custom game servers so the MLG BR start servers are usually empty.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please explain the baffling decision to not have Seattle or Eastside as a destination.

Because this kind of thing is specifically designed to bring the experience to locations that are cheap and easy for fans to get to, have plenty of transit, affordable accomodation and are centered in populated locations that don't ordinarily get this kind of experience. Seattle gamers and West Coast gamers are "spoiled" in that sense, but the first year locations were all selected by like, gamer population science computers. This first year -- apart from attempting to build a great experience for fans, is also a way for us to tune and test for the future and of course we'd be ecstatic to expand it to other locations - here in North America (including CA and MX in theory) and beyond.

We're already tinkering with ways to make lines shorter and add little content and experience adjustments and tweaks for the remaining venues, so it will continually evolve into a "sweet spot" - and frankly the fan feedback this weekend was extraordinarily helpful - those guys are directly improving the experience for Philly and Houston etc.

Oct 25, 2017
I think people want the Warden Eternal fight to be harder and more repetitive so I'm thinking maybe we make you fight him six times.

Stinkles with his finger on the pulse.

I'll be at Outpost when it hits CA. I hope you have dedicated Warden Eternal stations set up.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because this kind of thing is specifically designed to bring the experience to locations that are cheap and easy for fans to get to, have plenty of transit, affordable accomodation and are centered in populated locations that don't ordinarily get this kind of experience. Seattle gamers and West Coast gamers are "spoiled" in that sense, but the first year locations were all selected by like, gamer population science computers. This first year -- apart from attempting to build a great experience for fans, is also a way for us to tune and test for the future and of course we'd be ecstatic to expand it to other locations - here in North America (including CA and MX in theory) and beyond.

We're already tinkering with ways to make lines shorter and add little content and experience adjustments and tweaks for the remaining venues, so it will continually evolve into a "sweet spot" - and frankly the fan feedback this weekend was extraordinarily helpful - those guys are directly improving the experience for Philly and Houston etc.

Having lived in Houston.... L O L

But I guess that's an understandable justification.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
g0o73xr3r2931.gif

Go give this person upvotes

Had a blast, definitely a few minor critical points of feedback, but overall super good.

What the best avenue for me to give feedback that will get to the right eyes and ears?

I didn't mind beta testing, btw hope you got to catch some of the Jen & Steve panel, they were great

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
g0o73xr3r2931.gif

Go give this person upvotes

Had a blast, definitely a few minor critical points of feedback, but overall super good.

What the best avenue for me to give feedback that will get to the right eyes and ears?

I didn't mind beta testing, btw hope you got to catch some of the Jen & Steve panel, they were great

Pm me feedback directly if you like! I'll update with a more scaleable solution when I get back to Seattle.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having lived in Houston.... L O L

But I guess that's an understandable justification.

Houston has some absolutely fantastic food. I'm also looking forward to a real Cheese Steak in Philly and some neapolitan style thin pizza in Chicago and one of their famous hot dogs - slathered in ketchup just like a local!

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Pm me feedback directly if you like! I'll update with a more scaleable solution when I get back to Seattle.

10-4, when I get home I'll jot a few things down.

Overall great though, sorry you had to experience Florida weather for a couple days, and yeah that was absolutely normal everyday nothing to write home about rain and humidity, Florida just always sucks.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017

you hate Denver CO dont you ... dont you stinkles!!! T______T

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno what it was but social matchmaking in Reach was AMAZING for the wrong reasons. A group of us from here would go into Squad Slayer/Objective matches and just STEAM roll. Consistently win by 10-15 or more points. That's the whole reason the Oddball Swordbase meme came about. We were matched with such idiots that we could purposely drop the oddball into the middle of sword base while we had maybe like 20 seconds of advantage on it and the enemy team would just blindly rush the objective while we stood above them on the catwalks and balconies and just tossed grenades and DMR fire on them.
That may have been "amazing" for you, was probably extremely frustrating for players who ended up on less-coordinated rando teams.

Objective scoring ought to incentivize rapid lopsided victory. A CTF game won 3-0 in two minutes is a bigger win than a CTF game won 3-2 in fifteen minutes.

And cumulative account K/D tracking should only include slayer data.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well you and your team should come to Denver more often. :)
Lets eat some Beau Jo's Colorado Style Pizza

I have friends who moved to Denver from the northeast.

I moved from the northeast to houston, to seattle area.

We all complain about how the Pizza sucks everywhere else. So that best be some good shit, I'll be up there sometime this coming winter (on that Ikon pass)

That may have been "amazing" for you, was probably extremely frustrating for players who ended up on less-coordinated rando teams.

Objective scoring ought to incentivize rapid lopsided victory. A CTF game won 3-0 in two minutes is a bigger win than a CTF game won 3-2 in fifteen minutes.

And cumulative account K/D tracking should only include slayer data.

Team Objective in Reach AKA SLAYER UNLIMITED

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I have friends who moved to Denver from the northeast.

I moved from the northeast to houston, to seattle area.

We all complain about how the Pizza sucks everywhere else. So that best be some good shit, I'll be up there sometime this coming winter (on that Ikon pass)

Team Objective in Reach AKA SLAYER UNLIMITED
well. to be honest i havent been myself, but it was featured on that travel channel show when eating at best locations across the country.
i do know its a LOT of bread and their signature thing is that you eat the crust with some "honey" they provide you. looks really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.