• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the potentially ot question.

I just saw the gears 5 will have 60hz servers and was wondering what halo 5 uses?

We actually don't know the tickrate for Halo 5's servers. I'd assume 30Hz, though, because that has pretty much been the standard for this gen and Halo 5 has way too much rubberbanding and shots through walls for it to be 60Hz, especially across continents. Halo: MCC made the jump to 60Hz in April, though. Well, everything aside from CE. Hope Halo: Infinite has 60Hz servers, too. Makes for a much smoother online experience.

Side note: I also hope that Halo: Infinite's Theater (if it actually has Theater mode) shows your view again and not the view of the server. Makes Theater so useless in Halo 5.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
H5 WZ FF was the most bullet spongy borefest I have ever played. It's like playing against H4's Prometheans and you just want the pain to stop.

It doesn't help that 343 Halo has probably the worst PvE in the series. Feels like nothing reacts to your shots. Poor readability. Seems like awful hit detection/hit box issues, and due to the increase in mobility, every combatant fires super fast lasers now. Play through Halo 3 and Reach encounters and then do 4 and 5.

I think they had the right idea with the Promethan Knight mini bosses and having weakpoints, but there needs to be a little more readability in terms of their damage.

The prometheans not having shields is obnoxious because every other combatant you generally knew you could take out their shields (which would flare brighter the more damage they had), and then headshot. Or just headshot outright. With these guys it often feels like you just shoot an arbitrary number of rounds until a glowy bit is available.

Tomash

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the potentially ot question.

I just saw the gears 5 will have 60hz servers and was wondering what halo 5 uses?

Checked it in Wireshark, seems to be slightly above 60. 12v12 Warzone starts at 20, climbs to 30 and then 60Hz when all AI is killed off at the beginning. Also had an extended period on ARC during Knight Praetorian fight where it dropped to 30Hz. Don't know how to check if it's really 60Hz, for example, Apex Legends and Black Ops 4 Blackout fragment packets so it appears 60Hz when it's actually 20Hz.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Even though Reach isn't my favorite in terms of gameplay, the enemies in Firefight react to what you're doing pretty well so it's fun no matter what. You die when they corner you, not when they all simultaneously shoot you at once from across the map.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Also I'm really disappointed on how the MCC role out has been. It feels like REACH should at least be on Xbox by now.
It feels like 343i is basically publishing notes from product development meetings, rather than waiting most of the way through development and then following a marketing plan.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite things ever is playing Halo campaigns, and having the AI always reload my gun so it stays at full ammo

if the move to Slipspace loses this hidden mechanic, I might never recover.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
By the time they finally release Reach, it'll be holiday gaming season, and everyone will be playing their Borderlands or their Call Of Duties or their Outer Worlds instead.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One of my favorite things ever is playing Halo campaigns, and having the AI always reload my gun so it stays at full ammo

if the move to Slipspace loses this hidden mechanic, I might never recover.

It's always funny to hand a rocket launcher to a marine and they get infinite ammo.

By the time they finally release Reach, it'll be holiday gaming season, and everyone will be playing their Borderlands or their Call Of Duties or their Outer Worlds instead.

It's a bit weird thinking about the holiday season and releases approaching with their schedule. The first to be released has been months in the wings and the others are supposed to be rapid fire after that, right? I'm speculating here but say even one title each month to make it before end of year? Seems to indicate some delivery troubles if you ask me, going by the previous performance.

Oct 25, 2017
It's always funny to hand a rocket launcher to a marine and they get infinite ammo.

It's a bit weird thinking about the holiday season and releases approaching with their schedule. The first to be released has been months in the wings and the others are supposed to be rapid fire after that, right? I'm speculating here but say even one title each month to make it before end of year? Seems to indicate some delivery troubles if you ask me, going by the previous performance.

Handing off your one-shot-left snipers and rockets to marines was a great little exploit.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Handing off your one-shot-left snipers and rockets to marines was a great little exploit.

Y'all are both correct, but that's not what I meant...

Let me make sure we're on the same page here, I'm talking about when.
  • Empty current ammo capacity (ex: 2 Rockets)
  • When reload animation begins, swap to secondary weapon
  • Find marine/npc
  • Switch to Rockets
  • Immediately SWAP with marine
  • He/she reloads Rockets for you
  • Swap back
  • Boom. Max ammo again.
As long as you have 1 bullet/rocket/etc in your backpack you can keep any weapon stocked with ammo indefinitely, provided you let the NPCs reload for you.

That's what I meant, but also yes, Halo 3, The Covenant, Transport Hog, 3 Marines with FRG's.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
As far as free-ammo reload glitches go, the ability of CE weapons to self-reload on the ground is by far the most beautiful. There's real joy to be had zooming in on the counter of an MA5B, watching the screen tick up one round at a time.

Deadline for Custom Content transfers in MCC

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
Yo Poodlestrike this might be important enough to get a threadmark.

If you have legacy maps and gametypes from the 360 era that you want to pull forward into MCC these are your dates to have stuff prepared.

I'm planning on porting over the Halo 3 Bungie vs the World maps, but I'll need some help. I'll post what I need, but it'll likely be people that had Bungie Pro for Halo 3.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
One thing that I'm hoping for with Reach MCC is that - since it'll have all the dlc maps, including (I assume) the six Anniversary ones - there won't be as many Forge World maps in MM. Sure, Reach has the worst vanilla map selection of any of the Halo titles to date, but I'd still prefer playing on any of them over the dull grey corridors of any of the Forge World maps - official or fanmade (sans Hemorrhage).

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that I'm hoping for with Reach MCC is that - since it'll have all the dlc maps, including (I assume) the six Anniversary ones - there won't be as many Forge World maps in MM. Sure, Reach has the worst vanilla map selection of any of the Halo titles to date, but I'd still prefer playing on any of them over the dull grey corridors of any of the Forge World maps - official or fanmade (sans Hemorrhage).
Agree with this 100% Reach has some good DLC maps too, but yeah the base maps are the worst in the series.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reach DLC maps were a travesty. Halo 4 even more so.

Not even because they were bad, but the map pack system in those days segmented the playerbase BAD and Bungie/343 tried so many solutions that were all just different flavors of bad.

Halo 3's situation was also really bad but the ODST/Mythic combo alleviated it.

But in Reach and 4 the solutions were a mix of
1. DLC only playlists.
2. Some playlists require DLC
3. No playlists require DLC but it will try to match you with DLC owning people.

I think #3 ended up prevailing because people complained about not being able to play with their friends or certain playlists.

What ended up happening is that you would fucking NEVER play the DLC maps. I bought the packs but felt like I could never play them

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a good copy of Speed Halo in their Reach fileshare?

Forgot all about this and now i want it again

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan

Not even because they were bad, but the map pack system in those days segmented the playerbase BAD and Bungie/343 tried so many solutions that were all just different flavors of bad.

1. DLC only playlists.
3. No playlists require DLC but it will try to match you with DLC owning people.

I think #3 ended up prevailing because people complained about not being able to play with their friends or certain playlists.

What ended up happening is that you would fucking NEVER play the DLC maps. I bought the packs but felt like I could never play them
IIRC, CoD also had (and I think still has, to a certain extent) the same issues with its map packs, tho I'm guessing a larger percentage of CoD players bought the DLC vis-a-vis Halo players. And Halo 5 doesn't really boost my confidence for Infinite regarding how they'll try to not split the playerbase, since Halo 5 had slim dlc pickings in a game that already had an extreme dearth of vanilla maps compared to other titles in the series.

EDIT: Also, do we know if Arena will actually be a good comp playlist, or it is still gonna be shit? Or are they just gonna drop it completely?

Last edited:

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017

1. DLC only playlists.

I remember finally, finally getting Tempest as an option in Big Team, which was special because the Tempest Big Team variant had some areas opened up, and those stupid fuckers in the lobby voted for a release map (I don't remember, but probably Hemorrhage). I hope they get small rocks in their shoes every day until they die.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, CoD also had (and I think still has, to a certain extent) the same issues with its map packs, tho I'm guessing a larger percentage of CoD players bought the DLC vis-a-vis Halo players. And Halo 5 doesn't really boost my confidence for Infinite regarding how they'll try to not split the playerbase, since Halo 5 had slim dlc pickings in a game that already had an extreme dearth of vanilla maps compared to other titles in the series.
What?

Halo 5, warzone reqs not withstanding, has the best DLC system because it is FREE.

Everyone has every new map and game mode.

I remember finally, finally getting Tempest as an option in Big Team, which was special because the Tempest Big Team variant had some areas opened up, and those stupid fuckers in the lobby voted for a release map (I don't remember, but probably Hemorrhage). I hope they get small rocks in their shoes every day until they die.

Halo Reach BTB was largely trash outside of Invasion, but Highlands was a really cool and good CTF base to base map. I remember a couple of us + some 343 folks were playing customs on it early and it was an awesome map.

I think I only played it like 3 times max in matchmaking.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah ,if they can improve the req system, tweak some challenges and improve how Spartan companies work, it can be something magical!

This is the only game I actually went to try and unlock all reqs. I did, except for some purchase only ones.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Halo Reach BTB was largely trash outside of Invasion
It was trash partly because of Invasion. Boneyard and Spire were both far larger than they would have been if they hadn't been designed to accommodate invasion, and the way they were segmented didn't make much sense for most BTB purposes.

This was especially frustrating for me because I didn't think that the Boneyard and Spire Invasion scenarios were particularly good. The Phase I zones were too large and had the gunplay stripped down too much for the level geometry, so a lot of games consisted heavily of sparse bursts of fairly dull combat. The later phases were more "exciting", but also kind of chaotic.

Invasion is a really cool mode, but I thought its condition at launch was a big problem.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
BTB SWAT

giphy.gif

I'm assuming it was Stinkles that wanted that game mode.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It was trash partly because of Invasion. Boneyard and Spire were both far larger than they would have been if they hadn't been designed to accommodate invasion, and the way they were segmented didn't make much sense for most BTB purposes.

This was especially frustrating for me because I didn't think that the Boneyard and Spire Invasion scenarios were particularly good. The Phase I zones were too large and had the gunplay stripped down too much for the level geometry, so a lot of games consisted heavily of sparse bursts of fairly dull combat. The later phases were more "exciting", but also kind of chaotic.

Invasion is a really cool mode, but I thought its condition at launch was a big problem.

I think the fundamental problem with it was there was no getting around the fact that phase 3 was a killing field for the attacking team.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The best possible system possible is :

Free map packs - No season pass
No Randomized Packs
Direct purchase custom items
Unlock other custom items through regular challenges
Dedicated server rentals.

Profit

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
What?

Halo 5, warzone reqs not withstanding, has the best DLC system because it is FREE.

Everyone has every new map and game mode.
I meant more that how their solution was implemented led to far less overall content in a game that already had limited content compared to previous entries, not that it wasn't what the preferred solution should be.

Also, I'm REALLY hoping that 343 doesn't tie armor customisation to lootboxes/MTX again.

Deleted member 11173

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, I just need some validation. I feel like Halo 5's mechanics were top notch. I love how the weapons felt, charging, charge/slide, spartan smash - it just all felt good to me. Multiplayer was so damn satisfying that it made me feel sad that the single player felt short. This could have been an amazing game.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
The best possible system possible is :

Free map packs - No season pass
No Randomized Packs
Direct purchase custom items
Unlock other custom items through regular challenges
Dedicated server rentals.

Profit
120hz servers
Emotes for winning now in game
More announcers
No duplicate unlocks, unless the materials can be used to buy new reqs or req packs
PvE mode to grind for materials/currency to buy more reqs or req packs
Stinkles does full blown mister chief armor set so you can own everyone with a mop and bucket.
I also want legendary armor to have more craziness to it. Let me get my flaming head again. Or my headshot birthday confetti kill.

I love you Halo

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
I think the fundamental problem with it was there was no getting around the fact that phase 3 was a killing field for the attacking team.
Reach gives the designer considerable control over per-phase spawns and loadouts. Invasion has no fundamental killing field problems, just map and gametype design issues. There's no reason that Invasion's gunplay progression across a round has to evolve in the way that it does in the maps and gametypes that shipped with the game.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I just don't understand why they went from those to standing around looking like you're lost. These are two spartan teams competing with each other. If you have ever been in the military, you know stuff like that happens. But no lets make it serious and have them show no emotion or excitement about winning.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
120hz servers
Emotes for winning now in game
More announcers

No duplicate unlocks, unless the materials can be used to buy new reqs or req packs
PvE mode to grind for materials/currency to buy more reqs or req packs
Stinkles does full blown mister chief armor set so you can own everyone with a mop and bucket.
I also want legendary armor to have more craziness to it. Let me get my flaming head again. Or my headshot birthday confetti kill.

I love you Halo

Great suggestions! I hope they replace req packs with something better. If they filled out with emotes, announcers, shaders, and other modifiers - I think it would be pretty cool, and

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Also, bring back the fun victory poses. I want the salt.

iEhYvGy.gif

KBcNjL1.jpg
I wouldn't mind victory poses, but I just don't think this is how Spartans would do it. They're child soldiers who have been raised to be machines of war. They obviously enjoy and participate in some levity, but they don't act like frat stars that just downed a keg.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
The Spartan-IVs aren't child soldiers.
True I guess, but it's not like Locke's squad acts like this either and they are still all serious minded military people. Plus, it's about the mood for me. If I'm acting silly as a player, then I want to be able to do that, but I want my spartans to be serious otherwise, but that's just my personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.