• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
So my friend and I got ultimate game pass and decided to download Halo 5. Started the coop game but the game is now saving. It keeps giving us a "Saving.....failed". What the fuck?
Sounds like a cache issue. Turn the xbox off by pressing the button on the console (not the controller), some people also like to unplug it at this point, wait 10 seconds, turn it back on.

KillGore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Sounds like a cache issue. Turn the xbox off by pressing the button on the console (not the controller), some people also like to unplug it at this point, wait 10 seconds, turn it back on.

I'll check it out, thanks! Though it seems like it may be a bigger issue than I thought. 343 still isn't 100% sure on why it's happening. Damn it.

Surprised I haven't seen a thread here.

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
I see what you mean.

It seems like a big issue but i have not personally seen it. We tend to complete our co-op games in a single session.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have that Reach video of a pro (I think) complaining about bloom on Zealot? I think it was a "Reach MLG is a joke" kind of video.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Any old MLG Halo fans out there? Not sure if this is neccesarily related to this thread, or if it should be off in some sort of competitive Halo thread.

I ask because I've become re-addicted to the Str8 Rippin montage from the H3 era.

Still one of my favorite montages. Also started listening to Shinedown (last song in the montage) ever since then.

Way too many montages are simply overdone, by having tons of effects like color correction and other stuff that just distract from what you are actually trying to show. Like this abomination, which was also regarded as one of the best back in the day.

Anyone have that Reach video of a pro (I think) complaining about bloom on Zealot? I think it was a "Reach MLG is a joke" kind of video.

I think you are talking about Snip3down. I've tried to find the video previously, but forums that linked to it all lead to a deleted video.

If my memory serves me right, it was after not being able to kill an enemy (due to bloom), which then turned arround and killed Snip3down instead.

I'm remembering wrong. See below.

Last edited:

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Still one of my favorite montages. Also started listening to Shinedown (last song in the montage) ever since then.

Way too many montages are simply overdone, by having tons of effects like color correction and other stuff that just distract from what you are actually trying to show. Like this abomination, which was also regarded as one of the best back in the day.

I think you are talking about Snip3down. I've tried to find the video previously, but forums that linked to it all lead to a deleted video.

If my memory serves me right, it was after not being able to kill an enemy (due to bloom), which then turned arround and killed Snip3down instead.

Good Lord I can remember all the forum people screaming "adapt" at people who said bloom was a dumb mechanic. I understand what Bungie was going for, but Reach was a billion times better without it.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching the video on release day back when it was a file I downloaded to my computer. It was an event waiting for their first team montage.

Back in the days when every team would get a montage.

I remember the neighbor/hysteria montage and ninja/mikwen ones.
Shoutouts to mythica.org

It was where the halo community uploaded montages/machinima/clips before youtube was a thing

Oct 25, 2017
Shoutouts to mythica.org

It was where the halo community uploaded montages/machinima/clips before youtube was a thing
I'd really forgotten about the pre-Youtube world until we were doing Community Evolved and everyone from the trickers to Brunei Burns talked about distributing content back then. YouTube has tons of problems, but wide swaths of community content simply couldn't exist as they do now if they were still constrained by previous distribution methods.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
When did the idea that AI can only last 7 years come about? Was that Halo 4?

I'm reading Halo: Contact Harvest for the first time at the moment and it seems to feature a smart AI who is almost 60 (Mack)...

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

I'm reading Halo: Contact Harvest for the first time at the moment and it seems to feature a smart AI who is almost 60 (Mack)...

ive never been too much into the lore but i thought that was baked in way back when. like maybe even pre-halo cortana letters.

Oct 25, 2017

ive never been too much into the lore but i thought that was baked in way back when. like maybe even pre-halo cortana letters.

Rampancy originated in Marathon, although how it works (and the seven-year lifespan) is specific to Halo. It's been around since The Fall of Reach.

Not to spoil anything, but there's an explanation for Mack's longevity. There's also plenty of other AIs that have lasted longer than seven years, such as Juliana from The Cole Protocol and Sloane from halo 5, but they're shown as exceptions to the rule. It's also worth pointing out that the seven-year deadline isn't a hard-and-fast rule, but basically a UNSC-mandated lifespan. "Better safe than sorry" option, basically, to terminate AI before they're at serious risk.

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
The map migration is the most important anyway since game variants can be easily replicated.

REMEMBER to check both your 360 AND your Xbox One Backwards Compatible versions of the games since they have their own local map file storage.

[edit] i have 148 Forge Island map files on 360, and another dozen or so on Xbox One. File Share is 25 slots. It's going to be tight in there.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Rampancy originated in Marathon, although how it works (and the seven-year lifespan) is specific to Halo. It's been around since The Fall of Reach.

Not to spoil anything, but there's an explanation for Mack's longevity. There's also plenty of other AIs that have lasted longer than seven years, such as Juliana from The Cole Protocol and Sloane from halo 5, but they're shown as exceptions to the rule. It's also worth pointing out that the seven-year deadline isn't a hard-and-fast rule, but basically a UNSC-mandated lifespan. "Better safe than sorry" option, basically, to terminate AI before they're at serious risk.
Ah fair enough.

I was under the impression that it was basically 7 years and they're fucked.

On another note, I'm really enjoying Contact Harvest. I managed to get it for free with an audible trial (so I guess I'm listening to it rather than reading) and it's very good. Johnson really is a badass. I'm surprised he hasn't been the main character in a game yet.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is what I thought too. Eventually they would think themselves to death. And that Cortana was especially at risk because she is an extremely active AI that had to sort of go above and beyond what is expected of AI.

But who knows, it's not like the rules of the universe were ever that set in place when you have forerunner space magic as an easy copout for almost anything.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
The map migration is the most important anyway since game variants can be easily replicated.

REMEMBER to check both your 360 AND your Xbox One Backwards Compatible versions of the games since they have their own local map file storage.

[edit] i have 148 Forge Island map files on 360, and another dozen or so on Xbox One. File Share is 25 slots. It's going to be tight in there.
Same for me. I have all the Halo 3 Bungie vs. the World maps to get plus all the Reach Community Cartographer contest winners to upload(along with my own personal maps that I want to see). What I'd like to do is sometime this weekend play a handful of customs with people that can spare the file share space and have them upload the files to their shares. If only I could use my Halo 4 file share space for more 3/Reach maps.

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing stopping folks from using alternate XBL accounts for map migration surely?
My issue: Will there be enough room in the receiving File Share to hold everything. They have not yet released details on how this is going to work for users for us. It's not just that the maps need to be transferred, i also need to full access to update and link them afterward. How would i manage to do that if my maps are spread across 10 different file shares?

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
My issue: Will there be enough room in the receiving File Share to hold everything. They have not yet released details on how this is going to work for users for us. It's not just that the maps need to be transferred, i also need to full access to update and link them afterward. How would i manage to do that if my maps are spread across 10 different file shares?
In theory you should be able to download the content from the file share of your alternate account using your main account.

Hopefully we'll have more details soon, now that they've run the gametype transfer.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
In theory you should be able to download the content from the file share of your alternate account using your main account.

Hopefully we'll have more details soon, now that they've run the gametype transfer.
I could be misremembering, but I believe they said they'd be increasing the gametypes and maps that we can store locally, but not by how much. If it's less than what we could in the original games, then we've a new problem on our hands. Theoretically on PC, we can have infinite files because of the nearly limitless storage on there. Whether or not they do it all in the game UI is another thing.

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I thought too. Eventually they would think themselves to death. And that Cortana was especially at risk because she is an extremely active AI that had to sort of go above and beyond what is expected of AI.

But who knows, it's not like the rules of the universe were ever that set in place when you have forerunner space magic as an easy copout for almost anything.
It's entirely possible the "cure" of the Domain is just there's more storage space for those spiraling AIs.

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
Figured out i need 8 alts for the file transfer. Created NOKYARD1 through NOKYARD9. Now i just have to figure out how to efficiently transfer and document all of the files. The most tedious part (so far) was the LONG scroll down to my birth year on all 9 accounts.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Figured out i need 8 alts for the file transfer. Created NOKYARD1 through NOKYARD9. Now i just have to figure out how to efficiently transfer and document all of the files. The most tedious part (so far) was the LONG scroll down to my birth year on all 9 accounts.
1915? What were WW1&2 like?

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished replaying Halo CE again.

The level design in this game is most certainly overrated. No doubt it has some absolute classics. Halo and The Silent Cartographer are some of my favourite Halo missions.

But so much of the game consists of nothing but incredibly repetitive and boring corridors. Was a bit painful replaying the game.

Last edited:

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of questions:
-Did you just use silver xbl accounts?
-Do you know if they have the full 24 slots of file share or are they limited to the 6 non-Bungie Pro slots?

Ghostavus

Nov 16, 2017
As someone with zero game development experience or knowledge, is the current memory shortage holdup on Reach for console the kind of thing that seems like a months and months killer or a few weeks type of challenge to solve?

After the rough launch I am still kind of shocked how incredible MCC has turned out to be. Even with the insane amount of gaming options available today, I still find myself sucked back into Halo constantly. Not great for the backlog but I love it!

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
1915? What were WW1&2 like?
Not too bad, the plots were convoluted, blood and gore a bit too real, NPCs whined A LOT, and bullet magnetism was nonexistent.
A couple of questions:
-Did you just use silver xbl accounts?
-Do you know if they have the full 24 slots of file share or are they limited to the 6 non-Bungie Pro slots?
-Yes, silver. Apparently they share XBL Gold with my main account.
-I have no idea. Just about to jump in now.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
As someone with zero game development experience or knowledge, is the current memory shortage holdup on Reach for console the kind of thing that seems like a months and months killer or a few weeks type of challenge to solve?

After the rough launch I am still kind of shocked how incredible MCC has turned out to be. Even with the insane amount of gaming options available today, I still find myself sucked back into Halo constantly. Not great for the backlog but I love it!
Who knows.

Clearly it's causing some pretty major issues though.

Slightly worries me to be honest...

Ghostavus

Nov 16, 2017
Who knows.

Clearly it's causing some pretty major issues though.

Slightly worries me to be honest...

343 have been pretty excellent at transparency these days, so I wager if it were insurmountable we would know. I agree though that I am not holding my breath for it to be fast.

The two things I really want until Infinite are Reach on X1 and a surprise BTB map drop for Halo 5. A guy can dream!

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I think the memory issue on XONE is one of the main reasons they're not working on integrating Halo 5 into MCC, but I bet they do add it to the PC version and Scorpio at some point.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
So I'm revisiting H2A MP and it is incredibly fun even to this day, but fuck shooting grenades before they leave a player's hands. Random, unskilled bullshit.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
I think the memory issue on XONE is one of the main reasons they're not working on integrating Halo 5 into MCC, but I bet they do add it to the PC version and Scorpio at some point.

Well, wouldnt this be a problem with Infinite as well since its also coming out of the fat xbox one? I kinda wish theyd just cut off the xbox one tbh.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Well, wouldnt this be a problem with Infinite as well since its also coming out of the fat xbox one? I kinda wish theyd just cut off the xbox one tbh.
No, the memory issue is because they're reaching the limit on adding so many games on one executable. Won't be a problem for Infinite.

Status
Not open for further replies.