• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2019
I recently sat down with an awesome couple from the Halo community who really enjoy the series. We talked about Halo 4, 5 and how those stories may lead into Infinite.

anchor.fm

Episode 23: Don't Make A Girl A Promise (feat. Kirsty & Jordan Shipley) by Sacred Icon

Bryan welcomes Kirsty and her husband Jordan for a discussion on all things Halo 4. We discuss what 343's first entry in the series did for the fandom as well as cover some of the shortcomings from it's follow up Halo 5: Guardians. How will Infinite bring the series forward?

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Just watched a quick breakdown of what the mythic playlist is and how it plays I don't own Halo 4. It looks so good; I hope that's what they go with for Infinite but I feel like they'll try to add things into it. It seems like such a great balance.

My worry with this grappling hook leak is they'll try and add this into multiplayer which would be a huge mistake. It'd just be another ability that means players can avoid dying when they should have - creating more frustration. That's generally my feeling with armour abilities: they don't reward skill.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much, it just seems so prevalent in H5, I don't know what it is. I mean it's a fair strategy but it feels weird trying to incorporate that into a strafe.

Oh I c. Yeah it's pretty weird when you think about it, but its cool when it gets you out of a jam. Do you have crouch set to the thumb stick?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
They just kept coming up the lift. lol

FAC98BB049FE5AF776F8F8D4074AC9FC95B3076D

Also, a good game for a change. Too bad it was Swatnums. FineI'lldoitmyself.gif

8BF0F363FF9F01F7552BB5EDA7637AD396232F81

Last edited:

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Just watched a quick breakdown of what the mythic playlist is and how it plays I don't own Halo 4. It looks so good; I hope that's what they go with for Infinite but I feel like they'll try to add things into it. It seems like such a great balance.

My worry with this grappling hook leak is they'll try and add this into multiplayer which would be a huge mistake. It'd just be another ability that means players can avoid dying when they should have - creating more frustration. That's generally my feeling with armour abilities: they don't reward skill.
Which is why I'd be very excited to see equipment return in their place. Map pick-ups are the best. I think they've learned that from H4's Infinity ordnance nonsense.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Man, I've tried to get into 30 different matches this session, have only gotten into 5, the "Connection Interrupted" issue is absolutely plaguing the game for me. A lot of other people seem to have it too, but the fact that it's gone unaddressed by 343i is really upsetting, makes me think it'll never be fixed. I've tried refunding, but of course I have too many hours in the game now and steam denied it. I just kinda feel like I've wasted my money at this point.

Dec 21, 2017
Man, I've tried to get into 30 different matches this session, have only gotten into 5, the "Connection Interrupted" issue is absolutely plaguing the game for me. A lot of other people seem to have it too, but the fact that it's gone unaddressed by 343i is really upsetting, makes me think it'll never be fixed. I've tried refunding, but of course I have too many hours in the game now and steam denied it. I just kinda feel like I've wasted my money at this point.
Give us details. Region? Connection type? Platform?

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

Not sure why, but my friend had lots of connection issues with MCC and other XBL games until he disabled IPv6 in his Router. Might want to check that.

If not, maybe your DHCP/NAT is acting up? What's your Xbox saying, when you are performing the Network Test and the NAT test in the Xbox Settings?

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I recently sat down with an awesome couple from the Halo community who really enjoy the series. We talked about Halo 4, 5 and how those stories may lead into Infinite.

anchor.fm

Episode 23: Don't Make A Girl A Promise (feat. Kirsty & Jordan Shipley) by Sacred Icon

Bryan welcomes Kirsty and her husband Jordan for a discussion on all things Halo 4. We discuss what 343's first entry in the series did for the fandom as well as cover some of the shortcomings from it's follow up Halo 5: Guardians. How will Infinite bring the series forward?

I'm still on episode 15 with about an hour left. Gotta say I like listening to you guys talk about Halo, very interesting. There was a short discussion on that episode about DLC maps and you guys being happy with just launch maps if it meant no micro-transactions - I very much disagree.

Nov 7, 2019
I'm still on episode 15 with about an hour left. Gotta say I like listening to you guys talk about Halo, very interesting. There was a short discussion on that episode about DLC maps and you guys being happy with just launch maps if it meant no micro-transactions - I very much disagree.
Thank you for your kind words! Let us know if there's anything you'd like to hear from us.

That's a totally fair call about the DLC maps. I think most would agree with you on that. The multiplayer numbers would surely dwindle if there weren't new maps being released consistently.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017

To echo others, make sure it's not something to do with your connection, specifically your router. I've had to do some specific setup to clear up NAT issues over the years.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure why, but my friend had lots of connection issues with MCC and other XBL games until he disabled IPv6 in his Router. Might want to check that.

If not, maybe your DHCP/NAT is acting up? What's your Xbox saying, when you are performing the Network Test and the NAT test in the Xbox Settings?
I'm on PC.

To echo others, make sure it's not something to do with your connection, specifically your router. I've had to do some specific setup to clear up NAT issues over the years.
What did you have to do specifically?

Glass

Oct 26, 2017

It raises the question, Infinite is surely going to have a slew of post launch content and support, as is the norm for 2020 - so whats the preferred way to subsidize that support? Season Passes seem to be the de facto option after loot boxes fell out of favour. Cosmetic only dlc packs - get your Blue Team armour and emblem unlocks in multiplayer for 4.99? A good old fashioned expansion pack ? Maybe take on the role of another protagonist taking place on Zeta Halo at the same time as Chief's story.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
It raises the question, Infinite is surely going to have a slew of post launch content and support, as is the norm for 2020 - so whats the preferred way to subsidize that support? Season Passes seem to be the de facto option after loot boxes fell out of favour. Cosmetic only dlc packs - get your Blue Team armour and emblem unlocks in multiplayer for 4.99? A good old fashioned expansion pack ? Maybe take on the role of another protagonist taking place on Zeta Halo at the same time as Chief's story.

I actually thought the REQ pack system was great for Halo 5.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

I've said it before, but i hope they monetize via a robust server rental system. let people build their own communities where they could make their own playlists, run their own events and tournaments, and interact like minded Halo fans. It's the natural evolution of what Forge and Custom Games have been, and would be a great way to take advantage of Azure.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Plus the amount of updates and content they brought in was pretty good too! That year was glorious. Then it all died off. I think this was the only game i 100% unlocked each req. Exception of purchased REQs for pro-team icons/skins.

speaking of which, i reallly hope the color wheel is updated too. :)

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
Locking customization behind an rng gets a hard pass from me. If the armor goes back to Reach level permutations, forget it. You'd spend ages and ages unlocking random nameplates, emblems, etc before getting the shoulder pads you want.

Let me unlock what I want to unlock. Everything since Reach has been going the wrong way.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Locking customization behind an rng gets a hard pass from me. If the armor goes back to Reach level permutations, forget it. You'd spend ages and ages unlocking random nameplates, emblems, etc before getting the shoulder pads you want.

Let me unlock what I want to unlock. Everything since Reach has been going the wrong way.
good point too. The only store i've messed with is the one in LoL. what are you thoughts on that type of store?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before, but i hope they monetize via a robust server rental system. let people build their own communities where they could make their own playlists, run their own events and tournaments, and interact like minded Halo fans. It's the natural evolution of what Forge and Custom Games have been, and would be a great way to take advantage of Azure.
I would love this.

It is annoying when customization options you want are locked behind money or luck.

That being said, req packs are infinitely better than paid DLC and season passes.

Honestly an Apex style battle pass would be a great compromise too.
1. There are no premium only challenges to rank it up.
2. If you more or less max out the pass it gives you enough credits to buy the next seasons one. AKA if you play the game a lot you will essentially only pay once.
3. You can just roll with the free one and at the end of the season if you like the progress you made on it you can purchase the premium one and get the unlocks that were already there.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
good point too. The only store i've messed with is the one in LoL. what are you thoughts on that type of store?
I wouldn't be opposed to it as long as you can earn everything in game and it isn't an awful grind like Gears 5. Earning skins and characters in that game super sucks.

Earn credits by completing matches, doing in-game challenges (including campaign and firefight), and different medal commendations. Use those credits like in Reach to unlock different customization options that you actually want to unlock. No lame linear progression like MCC has right now. No grind like in Gears 5 that requires hours and hours of play to get a single skin.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You can unlock items pretty quickly in H5. The only issue with that system is that there's just SO many things to unlock

How many variations of the Assault Rifle did they need to make? They're all inferior to the other loadout weapons

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the reqs should go away entirely. I think Warzone was a failed experiment. It was not worth losing quality BTB over.

The req weapons and vehicles WERE cool however and I think the obvious solution here is to allow for more customization for vehicles and weapons. You should be able to "forge" specific weapons and vehicles and save them as presets so others can use them.

Want sniper with no scope on it? Here you go. Rockets that shoot plasma grenades? Here. Make them pink? Sure why not. Put a scorpion tank turret on a hog? Hell yea. Chain gun shoots frags? Do it.

Want to make the Halo CE pistol by taking the existing pistol and modifying RoF, Spread, Damage, Mag Size, Reload Speed, Magnetism, Aim Assist? Hell yeah go for it.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
You can unlock items pretty quickly in H5. The only issue with that system is that there's just SO many things to unlock

How many variations of the Assault Rifle did they need to make? They're all inferior to the other loadout weapons
That's exactly the problem with it: you unlock stuff regularly, but hardly any of it matters. Warzone unlocks (dozens of variations of the same weapons), assassinations, weapon skins, stances, emblems (which should be tied to campaign progress and not behind reqs). All of that stuff is between you and the armor unlocks you actually want.

It's terrible. Building up enough points to buy a gold pack only to get hit with a stance and an assassination is infuriating. I don't even have assassinations turned on. Thanks, game.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

I'd be cool with the high number of items if most of them weren't absolutely undesirable junk.

Then there's the issue of the values placed on items within tiers was screwed up. Like why is this visor in the same class as a DMR? Why idoes this single use carbine cost the same req energy as this armored vehicle with unlimited ammunition?

My biggest gripe of all is that, detached from the belief that Req sales make continued development worthwhile, the system doesnt make the game more fun. I had fun with Warzone, but I don't think Warzone is a better gamemode BECAUSE there's this system that lets people grind or pay for a chance to boost their arsenal. Instead I think Warzone is limited by being a game designed to mitigate the existence of such a system.

This is another reason why I like the server rental idea. There's no balancing act needed to justify its existence. It's just an additional service on top of the vanilla experience that enhances the community's ability to meet, create, and play together.

To piggy back on Tawpgun, If forge let user create our own vehicle and weapon skins and properties, the community would come up with game modes that exceed warzone, thanks in part because the game mode itself wouldn't be expected to generate income. These types of creations would make the server rental model flourish.

Last edited:

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind a battle pass for Halo as long as that's on top of a good progression system with lots of stuff to unlock.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching this video on health in video games and in it they brought up Halo CE and showed Halo 5. For those that aren't about to watch a 7 and a half minute video, they mention that Halo CE gets brought up as being the father of regenerating health, but it's kind of a misnomer. CE used a regenerating shield, but with a health system underneath; and that it was Call of Duty that brought on the current trend of health in games. They were talking about how there are no long term consequences to taking damage and that every encounter essentially has a reset button at the end to health, which is when Halo 5 was on screen. So I was thinking about past Halo games and how they handled health.

For the small handful of you that want to reference this post later or are new to the series, this is how health has worked in each Halo game. Like mentioned above, CE had a regenerating shield and non-regenerating health. Health was restored by med kits when they made contact with the player. Halo 2 and 3 had regenerating shield and regenerating health when out of combat. ODST brought back the CE style of med kits, but shields were disguised as stamina. Reach continued with the trend of having health kits, but this time they required the player to interact with them. Additionally Spartans regenerated up to a third of their health when not in combat, while Elites could restore their entire health. Halo 4 and 5 returned to the Halo 2/3 model of regenerating both outside of combat.

This isn't getting into anything super specific like overshield function or vehicle health models(both of which are really minor things that can affect the game in annoying ways). I've been thinking about what I'd like to see in the future in regards to health. I think I like the Reach Spartan model the best. I think there should be a consequence to talking damage, but additionally it should be a conscious choice by the player to get health. CE's and ODST's style meant that the player could accidentally bump into a wall with a med kit and restore their health.

What do y'all think?

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching this video on health in video games and in it they brought up Halo CE and showed Halo 5. For those that aren't about to watch a 7 and a half minute video, they mention that Halo CE gets brought up as being the father of regenerating health, but it's kind of a misnomer. CE used a regenerating shield, but with a health system underneath; and that it was Call of Duty that brought on the current trend of health in games. They were talking about how there are no long term consequences to taking damage and that every encounter essentially has a reset button at the end to health, which is when Halo 5 was on screen. So I was thinking about past Halo games and how they handled health.

For the small handful of you that want to reference this post later or are new to the series, this is how health has worked in each Halo game. Like mentioned above, CE had a regenerating shield and non-regenerating health. Health was restored by med kits when they made contact with the player. Halo 2 and 3 had regenerating shield and regenerating health when out of combat. ODST brought back the CE style of med kits, but shields were disguised as stamina. Reach continued with the trend of having health kits, but this time they required the player to interact with them. Additionally Spartans regenerated up to a third of their health when not in combat, while Elites could restore their entire health. Halo 4 and 5 returned to the Halo 2/3 model of regenerating both outside of combat.

This isn't getting into anything super specific like overshield function or vehicle health models(both of which are really minor things that can affect the game in annoying ways). I've been thinking about what I'd like to see in the future in regards to health. I think I like the Reach Spartan model the best. I think there should be a consequence to talking damage, but additionally it should be a conscious choice by the player to get health. CE's and ODST's style meant that the player could accidentally bump into a wall with a med kit and restore their health.

What do y'all think?

I see the virtues of every system. The benefit of the recharging shield from the get-go was that you couldn't get stuck in no-win scenario where you were left with an insufficient amount of health to get out of an encounter, and that, I think, is a crucial part of Halo's success. The flip side with (invisible) health and recharging shields is the sense of the reset button and whether some players feel like it cheapens their enjoyment, or that it incentivizes the "pop out and shoot, then hide" mode of play.

I think ultimately it comes down to the rest of the game—you can't tease out the health mechanics from the intrinsic whole. In many ways I think ODST needed health packs, because it had to with a minimum of sandbox changes and tweaks make you feel different from being a super soldier. Beyond that, though, I think the issues of "hiding and waiting for shields to come back" speaks less to the bad sides of having regenerating health, and rather the fact that the games those features appear in have seriously broken difficulties. When Halo 2 has insta-kill snipers and an opening encounter I cannot literally proceed in because I'm dead before my character reacts to coming out of a cutscene, no duh people are going to hide and play extremely passively. Likewise Reach severely crippled player agency in many respects and left you with some of the fewest viable options outside of noob combos, and the lack of regenerating health made things infinitely more frustrating for me (combined with the fact that the game never seems to want to register my pickup of the health pack; I have to mash the button and run over it once or twice, I guess because they're trying to avoid the accidental use you mentioned.)

Combat Evolved's system felt fair to me because health packs were plentiful, if tucked a bit out of the way, the difficulty was tough but not brutal, and so it hit the sweet spot where you feel empowered to take risks and different strategic approaches without getting instantly batted down and creating tunnel vision to optimization.

One thing I really love about Halo 5's health system is you can actually see your health and shield. The inconsistency and unknowable element in 2 and 3 of "will that final stray bolt of plasma kill me or not" when you're trying to get out of an encounter or skip past something always annoyed the heck out of me.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't mind a battle pass for Halo as long as that's on top of a good progression system with lots of stuff to unlock.

By the prophets Infinite better have PvE and progression.

Also I would 100% rent an Azure instance/server at a monthly cost for mates and I to play PvE and guarantee we play PvP on our leased virtual instance in matchmaking to Southeast and/or East Australia region, always unless we toggle it off. Just do what Apex does and let us select random or a specific region with a live ping result in the list. Population or not give us the bloody controls for once 343.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017

What do y'all think?

Naw, fuck having to go on a mini fetch quest after every close encounter or deal with being easier to kill because I happened to have won the last time. I already have enough motivation to survive, I don't need another layer of resource management to encourage me to avoid getting shot.

Oct 25, 2017
Naw, fuck having to go on a mini fetch quest after every close encounter or deal with being easier to kill because I happened to have won the last time. I already have enough motivation to survive, I don't need another layer of resource management to encourage me to avoid getting shot.

I think there are definitely better ways to incentivize exploring as well. The specialty REQ variants in Halo 5 for example were a fun discovery.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I think this is a big reason why i like that health packs were removed. Recharging health feels like a reward after winning close encounters. The alternative feels like a punishment despite overcoming the odds.

I think the other benefit of H2s system is that it better communicates what it will take to get an opponent down. With CEs system, it would be unclear if a guy healed after our previous encounter.

I think CEs system had its merits, but I think H2s and beyond was better for me.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This guy was just crouching in a corner playing SWAT. lmao

29A70F1D90849D07EF037E3D7E3B09D81F714F5D

As you can tell, they did great. Definitely the reason why we won!

6A4431276F4A86DDCE494A3D1AC7F5B86E37DDB6
But some people tell us that camping in no radar is more effective than with radar.

🤔

And as a tangent, SWAT shows how backwards Halo is with radar imo --
  • Instant kill gametype no radar
  • Long kill times with radar
If one mode was to have radar, I think it makes more sense to give people a radar in an instant kill game type to know if there's danger around corners since there is less Reversal potential. The reverse can be argued too, but radar is more suitable for SWAT over default gametypes where you have a shield for survivability.

That being said, everything works better without radar, if there's no sprint.

If it's an identical choice between Halo 5 or Reach, Halo 5 wins every time imo. I actually unlocked everything in Halo 5, whereas I had to find a few things I liked and be fine with it in Reach because no chance in hell was I going to invest that much time to unlock most things.
I'm super pleased that this works. Fire the cannon!

Also - I think Halo Infinite is going to be good.

Amazing work.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is the kind of stuff that makes me happy Forge exists
Yup. It can't be overstated though that while Forge is a great tool, what amazes me is how it's exploited by the insanely creative minds and unparalleled dedication of Forgers. Look at the stuff being done even with Halo 3's limited Forge, so if you give the players the tools, they'll make. it. happen.

Sik, nilla, NOK, etc. are all top tier examples of that.

AustinFordGames

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Okay, so obviously hopefully we'll see some Halo Infinite before E3, otherwise the Flighting/Beta won't have nearly as much of an impact as Halo 5's beta did or give the team enough time to implement important feedback before launch, depending obviously on how much needs to be addressed. Let's look at 343's track record for both showing off the title in question, and when we first got a glance at what the game actually was, be it through some in-engine B-roll, gameplay, or otherwise.

If we follow the track record for Halo 5, the beta was announced at E3 2014, then it launched in December of the same year, lasting from December 29th, 2014 (or earlier for press) until January 18th, 2015. The beta received a prep trailer on August 12th, 2014, which you can see below.

Halo 4 was announced, similarly, at E3 2011. We got a neat little story trailer (with a stand-in/potential recast of Cortana) and a Holiday 2012 release window. We didn't see or hear anything again until March 5th, 2012 - the first day of GDC 2012. That trailer was our first look at the multiplayer for Halo 4, giving context to it's canonical standing, as well as our first look at the Master Chief's new armor design in game. You can find that trailer below.

Frankie had said in the Halo Bulletin (rip) on March 8th, 2012 regarding a Multiplayer Beta:
"While we are testing Halo 4 code, gameplay, and systems at significant scale to get excellent data, input, and feedback, we are focused on polishing and shipping our experience for the duration of the year, and splitting resources to manage and build a beta is not on our schedule."

So, 343's Halo games have a history of being announced and shown off within roughly 6 months. Halo Infinite is already a completely different case and is more similar to Halo 5 thus far in that the original announcement came much earlier than when we first saw it, as Halo 5 was first announced as being titled Halo 5: Guardians in an Xbox Wire blog post on May 16th, 2014.

Before it's release, 343 was praised for the way it handled it's Multiplayer Beta, having the beta extremely early in development may have seemed more important to them at the time given the more extreme changes they wanted to implement with the Spartan Abilities and Smart-Scope, and obviously they didn't see the need for this kind of communal investigation with Halo Infinite.

TL;DR:
All of this to say, in my opinion, we'll see Halo Infinite either in the week leading up to, or right around, GDC 2020 which is March 16th-20th. I imagine that they will either use this to strictly show off gameplay and then announce the Beta/Flighting at E3 and shadowdrop it then or in the weeks following, OR They'll show us a trailer at GDC similar to Halo 4's and use that to announce a Beta/Flighting that'll begin in late spring/early summer.

Please let me know what you guys think. I know I'm not the only one having fucking panic dreams about finally getting to see it, let alone play it.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
Unpopular opinion here. I really think that grenades should have a smaller radius. Sometimes it just feels like I can easily get a no-skill kill just from chucking it the general direction of the enemy(and I'm bad at multiplayer). Ex: Big team Battle in Boardwalk(a map I dislike for some reason), you can get the other team in a corridor and just chuck grenades with your team.

Edit: I wish Halo didn't have such a potato-slow movement, even when "jogging." It's why I almost always pickout a Loadout with Sprint.

AustinFordGames

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Unpopular opinion here. I really think that grenades should have a smaller radius. Sometimes it just feels like I can easily get a no-skill kill just from chucking it the general direction of the enemy(and I'm bad at multiplayer). Ex: Big team Battle in Boardwalk(a map I dislike for some reason), you can get the other team in a corridor and just chuck grenades with your team.

Edit: I wish Halo didn't have such a potato-slow movement, even when "jogging." It's why I almost always pickout a Loadout with Sprint.
A lot of it has to do with FOV, the inclusion of mobility options like Sprint, etc. Halo really isn't that slow of a game as far as walk speed is concerned, but when your FOV is like 70 on console and then the newer games have added mobility options, it's hard to argue that the game isn't a little slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.