• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Time to whip out the Reach reveal trailer.

That trailer was my first real contact with Halo as a Sony/Nintendo kid and holy shit, did I want a 360 after that.

I got a PS3 a year later and never played a single Halo game. Time to redeem myself now on PC. Hype!

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Honestly I'm with you when CS removed the cross team chat I actually stopped playing the game. As me talking and having funny shit happen during the warm up with the other team was great. Or when we would trash each other at half time. It's so boring now not getting that.

One of the largest reasons I bought cod was getting to experience that again in the lobbies. Sure it's gonna be a lot more rare but I believe it was something that honestly changed a games online experience.
personally im glad i grew up pretty much surrounded by that. It would be a genuine shock I feel to play a game with lobbies like that if all I knew was like Fortnite lmao

Oct 25, 2017
HALO CE was in many ways my first 'modern' game (as in, not NES or Genesis or the like) and the entry for me back into gaming. Going through this thread has me really wanting to do a proper replay of the whole series and feeling pretty nostalgic for that old Xbox I had.

Dammit, I think my allergies are acting up.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Did I explicitly stay home from work today to play Reach?

No, no I did not.

Did I implicitly stay home from work today to play Reach?

Why yes, yes I did.

Oct 26, 2017
Once NBNS was added I think it became great, but yeah launch REACH nearly killed the competitive scene and Halo 4 pushed it off a cliff.

As someone that loved Reach and then 4 later even I acknowledge its stark differences from previous games. And I can see how these things affected the community.

I do wonder if it had been treated as a separate style and if Halo 4 and other numbered entries stayed less experimental if it would have played out differently. I'm also curious if the class based style could have been better received nowadays. Things like Overwatch have seen such success it's clear there is a market.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any reason why this game (I mean MCC) isn't Play Anywhere? One would assume that such an important MS franchise would use all the bells and whistles of Xbox-PC ecosystem. Really odd...

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I do wonder if it had been treated as a separate style and if Halo 4 and other numbered entries stayed less experimental if it would have played out differently. I'm also curious if the class based style could have been better received nowadays. Things like Overwatch have seen such success it's clear there is a market.

Overwatch is a great example of how a no-sprint Halo can be released nowadays too. Around H4s launch there was lots of talk that Halo "needed" sprint to survive in the gaming landscape.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Any reason why this game isn't Play Anywhere? One would assume that such an important MS franchise would use all the bells and whistles of Xbox-PC ecosystem. Really odd...
Only excuse I can think of is it's because the collection originally released before Play Anywhere was a thing, and with the extra work required to get all the games running on PC, they want to make sure they get money back on it.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
So they're only releasing Reach today? Do we know when CE and 2 are coming out as well?

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Any reason why this game (I mean MCC) isn't Play Anywhere? One would assume that such an important MS franchise would use all the bells and whistles of Xbox-PC ecosystem. Really odd...
Game originally came out before PA was a thing, and they're completely remaking the games and not just giving them cheap/quick ports.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Mine is just saying Halo Masterchief collection on PC but not booting to anything =[

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm only seeing a 15gb download on pc, I don't see where Reach can be downloaded currently

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Motherfucker. I ate an edible 45 minutes ago in anticipation of it kicking it right at 1:00. Didn't realize I'd have a 46 GB download to wait for.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dont see it my end. Its asking me to buy it but I should have it as part of gamepass through the mcc anyway?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Win Store download is slowwwww.
Friend downloading on steam is doing it at full speed.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game originally came out before PA was a thing, and they're completely remaking the games and not just giving them cheap/quick ports.
Only excuse I can think of is it's because the collection originally released before Play Anywhere was a thing, and with the extra work required to get all the games running on PC, they want to make sure they get money back on it.
Doesn't even make sense to have Play Anywhere initiative then, because money excuse can be made for every single Play Anywhere game as well. And I wouldn't call games like FH4 and Gears 5 "cheap/quick" ports.