• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the multiplayer is not for me. It's so tuned for 720p/30fps/controller that it feels weird playing on a modern pc with mouse:kb

I also don't like that spawn weapons are basically worthless and power weapons are mostly one hit kill

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I think the multiplayer is not for me. It's so tuned for 720p/30fps/controller that it feels weird playing on a modern pc with mouse:kb

I also don't like that spawn weapons are basically worthless and power weapons are mostly one hit kill
What? It feels like it came out yesterday. It feels great.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Playing a game that was going pretty evenly until for some reason seven of the other dude's teammates quit over time, now it's 8v1. Never had it become that lopsided, poor person.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
Reach is a separate download. Halo: MCC is the launcher. For Reach, you can just download that.

Sadly, Reach keeps crashing with the "UNREAL ENGINE IS EXITING DUE TO D3D DEVICE BEING LOST" error. No other game does it. Going to roll back my drivers.
Did rolling back your drivers fix this problem? I just downloaded and I am having the same issue. Close to giving up and playing something else tonight.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else having problems launching the game on Gamepass PC?

I don't even get an error message: I hit play and then nothing happens. My task manager doesn't recognize that the game launched at all.

Kurumi

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone tell me what playlist invasion slayer is grouped in? Is it in competitive as well?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
am i getting placebo here or am i definitely experiencing a delay in movement that makes the game feel off. Like you tap and direction key and there is definitely a slight delay in the movement

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty bad experience so far, not for me but for my wife. Game is very laggy for her, random lag spikes, disconnects, sometimes the guest player (me or her) gets dropped after a cutscene (not network related), just an infinite generic MCC loading screen while the other person starts the next mission without them. Have to restart the game. Often the game will freeze for her because of Anti-cheat. Audio is shit. We have played through a ton of the game without scoring or achievements because for like 4 hours there every time we started the game we got a cloud syncing error and had to play "offline" (but online coop still works).

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? It feels like it came out yesterday. It feels great.

The aiming works well but to me it definitely feels like a 10 year old console game. I'd describe it as "chunky" for lack of a better term.

From 2001-2015 I only played Halo with a controller, and from 2016-2019 I didn't play it at all. Maybe that's what's throwing me off..

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
The whole game does feel a little 'off'. I cant really tell if my bullets are actually hitting my opponents, and I did some quarter second delay in deaths. The mouse movement I guess I have to get used to but I can say there does seem to be a small delay or maybe the wind up to movement is long.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Game has been perfect for me. Can't believe I'm playing Reach again with over a hundred thousand players. Fucking amazing.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
How does the PC Game Pass version work? I installed the 23 or so gigs of MCC, but when I go to launch it, nothing happens. Is Reach a separate install on Game Pass?

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Uuuuuuuuuhh

....what

....the

....hell

....is up with the audio mix!!!???

Was it always this bad and they just couldn't remix it!?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Just spent three hours playing 1080p 60FPS Infection on my laptop with one of my partners, and it was glorious.

If Halo was dad, then it is now mom

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Game looks great on the One X. I wonder though: were water puddle animations always like that in the original game, where the animation cuts off abruptly instead of completing the animation? I notice the same thing with Halo 3.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
The second mission is kind of warming me up to the game. Though I'm still not sure how you're fundamentally supposed to play a shooter where you're so slow and fragile, but have no respite like cover. I kept dying on the part where they first show the tutorial for stealing enemy vehicles, because I wasn't sure how to make an opening to do that.
Thinking about it, I probably wouldn't be so annoyed about the issues the PC version currently has if it was announced last week or something. Talking up wanting the game to feel like it isn't a port makes it shipping with some really major known issues look bad. It's also just a really, really stupid thing to say, in general.
Yeah, Reach while the story is supposed to be a standalone I guess some stuff won't be clear to new players. Hell, for what I remember of Halo CE. It's not clear why the Covenant is at war with humanity (unless you read the game manual). I believe Halo 2 does give more insight of why.

There is a long version and a very short version.

Short version. The leaders of the Covenant (theocracy) declared holy war against Humanity because humans are an offense to their gods. The Covenant have clear superiority in space combat and tech, humans do have a more even and even better performance on ground battles. Humanity is losing the war, hoping for a hail mary of some sort.

Long version. The leaders of the Covenant believe that the creators of all the advanced technology (like Halo) were able to transcend mortality and became gods, and their whole alliance (covenant) is built on that faith that by following their steps they themselves may become gods. There is lots of books behind what actually happened to them, and to be honest it would spoil all the Halo story to explain it further. Even if the games doesn't go as deep. But it would be more precise to say that the covenant leaders declared holy war against humanity to save their own positions of power. The very existence of humanity, if the rest of the Covenant became aware of all the details that the leaders of the Covenant learned, would disprove their faith. And since they are a theocracy.... yeah.
I did look it up, it does sound interesting. Just kind of weird they don't seem to capitalize on it. They kind of do the same thing with Destiny actually, there's good lore there that there's no real entry point to, and your best option is just reading through TVTropes pages for what you're interested in.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018
No matter how much I try, I just can't enjoy Reach. The only Halo that is worse than it is 4 imo. It just feels so bleh to play and the DMR feels so inferior to the BR.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Halo: Reach (PC) Known Issues List 12/3/19

• We have received reports that players can find matches faster by turning off relays in Network Settings. We are actively investigating this issue.
  • Audio quality does not currently match legacy Halo: Reach (Xbox 360) and is being actively investigated.
  • Third party software such as Corsair iCue, Logitech G-Hub, and Razer Synapse, may cause in-game stuttering. We recommend disabling these programs to alleviate the issue.
  • Player's character model appears to desync briefly when moving after an assassination.
  • When using the narration feature, all menu options are not read for all screens.
  • When playing Co-op or multiplayer, players will appear to play a falling animation when entering an elevator.
  • Prior to installing Halo: Reach, users who participated in flights will want to delete all files at C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\LocalLow\MCC.
  • Players friended only over Steam do not appear in the Roster (must be Xbox Live friends). You can join upon your friends through Steam's friends list.
  • To send an Xbox Live friend request you will need to use the Game Bar, Xbox Companion app, or add them at Xbox.com
  • When launching in Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, or Korean the voice language pack may not install (Full KBA).
  • If a capture card is set to the default audio input device, all PC audio will transmit over voice channel (Full KBA).
  • Bluetooth headphones will prioritize communication audio after passing the main menu Full KBA).
  • When moving the game's window while in Fullscreen using the Windows, shift, and arrow keys it can cause the game to appear as a still image.
  • Cutscenes during Tip of the Spear can see performance drops using AMD graphics cards.
  • When trying to "Save As" File Share game types and maps that are not Halo: Reach they appear corrupted on relaunch of Halo: Reach. This is because you don't have the content required to play them.
  • Uninstalling the Steam version of the game with the Microsoft Store version installed will remove the Easy Anti-Cheat client and make the Microsoft Store game be unplayable. To resolve this please uninstall and re-install the Microsoft Store version.
Won't Fix and By Design Known Issues
  • With the Duke control scheme Switch grenade is mapped to LB and Flashlight is mapped to RB
  • When attempting to join friends using Steam's friends list or overlay your party will not be brought with you. To alleviate, join friends through your Xbox Live Roster in game.
  • Players who have picked up the active camo powerup are easier to see when moving on non-title update (vanilla) settings than title update (TU) settings
  • When entering full screen for the first time if previously snapped to half of a screen on 4k monitors, the game will not display properly when entering full screen. Simply Alt + Enter to resolve this.
  • There is no way to rebind the pause function

Outlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
8v8 FFA did it for me (Skullamanjaro or w/e).

got the medal/steam achievement in like 2 mins lol.

it has to be bugged because it says 10% of players already have it and it's only been out a couple hours.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, going through the start menu and I was able to start the game. Pretty much unplayable until the audio is fixed, but at least it starts, heh.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
For real why are the only maps in BTB, Breakpoint, Tempest, Ridgeline. I'm so disappointed. I want to play on Spire, Boneyard, Breakneck, Paradiso, etc. What's the point of a mega collection and then only 3 maps?

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've played about 40 minutes of Reach so far and I'm glad it runs great on the enhanced graphics settings (at least at 1080p with the 60FPS cap on my i5 2500K+GTX 970). Also, it's great that you can actually have the crosshair centered like normal. But I dunno if this is a problem only for me, but the weapons all sound so muffled and feel so inaccurate (I remember this being the case on Halo CE and Halo 2 for Windows Vista as well), though this could be a nitpick since the guns don't all have ADS. Also, couldn't turn on subtitles regardless of setting, but maybe this could have been resolved with a restart of the game. Pretty good package, all things considered, since it's like 5 X360 games for a low, low price (the equivalent of 30USD in Brazil).

Edit: also, disappointed at the lack of advanced settings, though maybe I missed this somehow.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
For real why are the only maps in BTB, Breakpoint, Tempest, Ridgeline. I'm so disappointed. I want to play on Spire, Boneyard, Breakneck, Paradiso, etc. What's the point of a mega collection and then only 3 maps?

They're not, from the OP

8v8 Matchmaking
  • Game Categories: Slayer, Flag and Bomb, Zone Control, Asset Denial, Action Sack, and Snipers
  • Maps: Boardwalk, Boneyard, Spire, Breakpoint, Tempest, Highlands, Ridgeline, High Noon, Breakneck, and Forge World (various)
  • Settings: Title Update

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Playing great on One D, really brings me back! Halo really gets the competitive juices flowing doesn't it.

So happy the collection is complete now. Also love that they brought back the armor customization in full.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
They're not, from the OP

8v8 Matchmaking
  • Game Categories: Slayer, Flag and Bomb, Zone Control, Asset Denial, Action Sack, and Snipers
  • Maps: Boardwalk, Boneyard, Spire, Breakpoint, Tempest, Highlands, Ridgeline, High Noon, Breakneck, and Forge World (various)
  • Settings: Title Update

Well, I dunno what's up, literally all of my ten-ish games except a Team Snipers on Boardwalk have been those three. I've tried removing Slayer as an option but still the same so far.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Audio aside, the controls feel perfect

Also, is Ridgeline a remake of that Halo CE map, Timberland? These DLC maps are so much better than vanilla