• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
, you are slower and more sluggish with a smaller jump in Reach

The jump is definitely noticeable, being slower isn't as much imo. And part of the reason for that is map design. Halo 3 levels for some reason are really wide, ever corridors, when they shouldn't be. Imo this at base speed makes the game feel much slower. I guess this was so people could use Forge and put mongooses going from room to room or something. Black Out is a perfect example. Compare it to Lockout and there's a big difference.

And with BTB maps like Avalanche, there's a huge difference. At least in Reach, as you said, sprint is available.

I believe the FoV is the smallest in the series too which doesn it no favors.

Halo 3 has the smallest FOV in the series, another problem it has.

Halo 3 is probably my favorite in the MCC which is an unpopular opinion these days.

Idk how unpopular it is lol. Maybe on era folks feel that way, but its the most populated of the 5 original MCC games (Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 2A, Halo 3, Halo 4). So I think alot of people love it. Maybe that's because of nostalgia, maybe not.

But it's very difficult for me to play. The game feels very slow and floaty, narrow FOV, the BR feels terrible, and the overall weapon sandbox sucks. MLG settings help out, but still. Halo 2 Anniversary and Halo 2 (original) just feel so much better to me. Shots hit, the weapon sandbox feels better, map design feels tighter, wider FOV, faster base speed, it just has a more arcady instant feel about it all.

It's a damn shame Halo 4 wasn't Halo 3 with the Halo 4 engine, and then Halo 5 built upon that more. I really would have loved to see that.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying MP but its funny how outdated some things feel

Grenade spam is really lame, and the lack of music near the end game is odd as now most games have some intense music to close a game.

Still, it feels so good to have this classic Halo gameplay back on PC. Im so surpised I can run this so well

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Did the first mission of the campaign for now... This is really, really dull. If there's supposed to be some kind of full-scale invasion happening as the inciting incident, the game is completely failing to sell it.
The audio issues and horrible jutter definitely don't help. This is probably the worst PC version of a game Microsoft's made in a while, which is a shame.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
This game's audio in the campaign sounds like a 144p YouTube video being played through the speakers of a broken Nintendo 2DS, partially covered with a pillow.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Man, It's been awhile since I played Reach but I don't remember the MP being so slow and the controls so awkward.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why is it taking so long to download this game off the windows store? The pc download on the windows store is at 1.4MBs while my Xbox is updating modern warfare at 177mbps. Even when I pause my Xbox downloading, this game does not speed up its download at all.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
Did the first mission of the campaign for now... This is really, really dull. If there's supposed to be some kind of full-scale invasion happening as the inciting incident, the game is completely failing to sell it.
The audio issues and horrible jutter definitely don't help. This is probably the worst PC version of a game Microsoft's made in a while, which is a shame.

Yeah, the line "the Covenant is on Reach" was always very underwhelming for me the first time I played Reach. Like Jorge said "this is the fucking Covenant", only on the ending of the first mission we at least got the "Did you say Covenant? " "Affirmative is Winter Contingency" "May god help us"

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The jump is definitely noticeable, being slower isn't as much imo. And part of the reason for that is map design. Halo 3 levels for some reason are really wide, ever corridors, when they shouldn't be. Imo this at base speed makes the game feel much slower. I guess this was so people could use Forge and put mongooses going from room to room or something. Black Out is a perfect example. Compare it to Lockout and there's a big difference.

And with BTB maps like Avalanche, there's a huge difference. At least in Reach, as you said, sprint is available.

Halo 3 has the smallest FOV in the series, another problem it has.

Idk how unpopular it is lol. Maybe on era folks feel that way, but its the most populated of the 5 original MCC games (Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 2A, Halo 3, Halo 4). So I think alot of people love it. Maybe that's because of nostalgia, maybe not.

But it's very difficult for me to play. The game feels very slow and floaty, narrow FOV, the BR feels terrible, and the overall weapon sandbox sucks. MLG settings help out, but still. Halo 2 Anniversary and Halo 2 (original) just feel so much better to me. Shots hit, the weapon sandbox feels better, map design feels tighter, wider FOV, faster base speed, it just has a more arcady instant feel about it all.

It's a damn shame Halo 4 wasn't Halo 3 with the Halo 4 engine, and then Halo 5 built upon that more. I really would have loved to see that.

At the bolded. That was the DREAM. I remember when the first MP details of Halo 4 were coming out and we got that beautiful Halo 4 BR Gif. We thought we were saved. Little did we know...

I understand why people don't like Halo 3. The movement doesn't bother me because I always liked my Halo to be more methodical. One of my major Halo 3 complaints when it first launched was the speed though. I think it was largely a FOV issue though. I recall bungie in a weekly update essentially proved that Halo 3 run speed was the same or very very similar to Halo 2. But the FoV made it seem slower. My issue is the strafe acceleration seemed off. Still, Halo 2 is great to play but is bogged down by a lot of Halo 2 bugginess. My main issue with H2 and H2A is actually how easy the BR is to use. In H2A especially. It feels crisp, I won't deny that. But man it feels like any 5 year old can 4 shot me if they get the first shot off.

I actually like how the Halo 3 BR takes a bit more skill with the leading shots and spread. I don't like getting melted half the map away.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
keep trying to download this and getting "Code: 0x803FB107" on the Xbox app. tried googling it and there doesn't seem to be much help, any suggestions?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The worst part about the audio issues is that the game doesn't even have subttiles during gameplay apparently?

I found the Spanish (Spain) dub to be terrible so I want to play with the English voices. Since it's not my native language I kinda need subtitles since it's hard to pick up every single word while there are explosions and screams and shootings and stuff, not Spanish subtitles mind you, just English subtitles is enough. But there are subtitles for cutscenes only. If the audio quality was ok I could manage, but when it sounds like this I don't understand crap. :(

Guess I'll put the campaign aside until they fix the sound

Oct 25, 2017
How do I choose my gamertag on PC because I made a new outlook account and then they just gave me a randomly generated name I can't change?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Freezes as soon as I launch into the main menu.

It's been years since I've had an issue w/ a PC game using Steam; and years since I HAVEN'T had an issue using Windows Store.

Seriously makes me want to cancel GamePass and abandon the entire Xbox platform.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Halo 3 has the smallest FOV in the series
Yep. Halo 3's default 16:9 FoV is about 70 degrees, which was horizontally smushed to an amazingly low ~55 degrees if you played it on a 4:3 screen.
Halo 1's default view had an FoV of 70, but that was 4:3. When they horizontally widened it to 16:9 for CEA, the result was around 86 degrees. (ODST uses roughly the same scheme as Halo 1.)

Most other Halo games have been in-between those extremes. ~78 degrees has been a popular choice for the default 16:9 view.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Man, been a while I played Halo 5 and really need some time to get used to the Halo controls. Completely different from standard COD's ones. Will have to see if I can change it to what I'm used to....

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Halo 3's default 16:9 FoV is about 70 degrees, which was horizontally smushed to an amazingly low ~55 degrees if you played it on a 4:3 screen.
Halo 1's default view had an FoV of 70, but that was 4:3. When they horizontally widened it to 16:9 for CEA, the result was around 86 degrees. (ODST uses roughly the same scheme as Halo 1.)

Most other Halo games have been in-between those extremes. ~78 degrees has been a popular choice for the default 16:9 view.
God what I would do for a way to widen it on Xbox

Starfire22

Banned
May 5, 2018
Oklahoma
Tried to play Reach MP a while ago on Xbox. Couldn't get into a match to save me, and it kept showing Connecting session....connection failed.. a lot. My connection is fine too, is there a way to fix this?

Pat

Oct 27, 2017
Launch it through the windows start menu.

Yeah, it is weird.

1) Launch it throught the Start Menu.
2) You will then be redirected to the Windows Store on Reach store page. Click on Install.
3) Once Reach is installed (10mb), you will be able to launch MCC throught the Xbox app.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC version is fine, minus the muffled audio but even that isn't nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be!
3 hours playing SWAT and the shooting feels very responsive and satisfying.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Accidently tried to use my locked down outlook account to sign in and now it's defaulted to trying to use my locked outlook account with no visible way to switch accounts so I actually can't boot up the game. Tried rebooting my PC hoping it was locally cached but no dice, any tips to switch accounts for the game as it's impossible for me to play it atm.

Luyrar

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
uBwT38a.jpg

wtf is this?

i tried to update the game but it says that is already updated.

does anyone had the same issue? tried everything and still couldnt fix it.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Audio sounds like it's missing the center channel or something.

There does seem to be some very consistent judder too, but that seems soso?