• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
We wouldn't be having this DMR start debate if Reach had a BR or if the pistol was reliable like 5's. Bungie sucked at weapon balance.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
976730_20191211152706_1.png

Kinda wishing I could just refund the game at this point tbh. I've tried everything to fix these connection issues and none of it has worked.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
So how do I upload new stuff to my fileshare? I can't seem to find the option anywhere.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Also a fair acknowledgement.

I can see a case for AR starts in Reach but I cannot fathom the people who preferred SMG/AR starts in Halo 2/3.
Even tho the AR is a better weapon than the SMG/AR in 2 and 3, its primary purpose is still to just sap shields at a close-range. It's a decent weapon, but DMR starts are still much better due to the inability for one team to control all the DMRs and needle rifles and have a stranglehold early on.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
That Longsword mission on Legendary is really, really painful. WTF do I need to do? I get shredded in an instant on the 3rd wave.
Do you mean Long Night of Solace?

It's pretty frustrating, yeah. I don't think there's a sure way of doing it, but try to take cover and hide behind some of the stations/debris on either side. You'll have to use your cannon, go back and forth from cover and then use your missiles to finish off the Seraphs.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
So I can't connect to a Reach multiplayer game on Xbox. I'll find players, the map will start to load, and then everyone's names will grey out and I'll be kicked back to the menu.

Can anyone help?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
So I can't connect to a Reach multiplayer game on Xbox. I'll find players, the map will start to load, and then everyone's names will grey out and I'll be kicked back to the menu.

Can anyone help?
i got stuck in a loop like this for 5 minutes, but once i backed out of menu reselected multiplayer it went back to normal.
now if i see it again i don't give it even 20 seconds, just back out and go back in

Oct 26, 2017
Hi, I'm trying to play Reach two player on PC and the framerate is really bad for me (20 FPS) in performance mode and this seems really weird to me.

Specs:

8 GB RAM
Windows 10
i5-7300 2.5 GHz
GTX 1050 Ti

Is my laptop too weak?

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked already, but this thread is 67 pages already so...

I've got MCC on PC via GamePass. I've never played a Halo game. Should I start with Reach, or wait until Halo 1 comes out and play them in release order?

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
i got stuck in a loop like this for 5 minutes, but once i backed out of menu reselected multiplayer it went back to normal.
now if i see it again i don't give it even 20 seconds, just back out and go back in
Unfortunately that doesn't work. I can't seem to get a matchmaking game going at all.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018

I've got MCC on PC via GamePass. I've never played a Halo game. Should I start with Reach, or wait until Halo 1 comes out and play them in release order?
Reach is a prequel to Halo 1, so if you're talking about the campaign then you can safely play Reach first.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
Reach is a prequel to Halo 1, so if you're talking about the campaign then you can safely play Reach first.
Thanks. I'm thinking in terms of gameplay and story - Maybe Reach has built upon gameplay mechanics from the previous games, and it's better to play them in release order?

Also, sometimes prequels don't explain fundamental story concepts as it's assumed the audience has seen/played the earlier installments. Is that the case here?

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Thanks. I'm thinking in terms of gameplay and story - Maybe Reach has built upon gameplay mechanics from the previous games, and it's better to play them in release order?

Also, sometimes prequels don't explain fundamental story concepts as it's assumed the audience has seen/played the earlier installments. Is that the case here?
The mechanics are definitely more advanced, but the mechanics in Halo don't really progress in a linear way, they are somewhat different in each iteration, like for example, dual wielding weapons was introduced in Halo 2 but taken out in Reach. That said Halo 1 is the simplest of them all.
As for the story, the story of Reach does not rely on knowledge of previous games and it ends exactly when Halo 1 begins, so it's all good.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Reach is a prequel, but honestly I don't feel it's a good intro to the series. YMMV, but Halo CE is both the series' bread and butter, and the most refined sandbox.

If you're asking story-wise, you're probably okay. Halo: Reach to Halo CE is nearly 1:1 what Rogue One is to Star Wars, so I guess you could use that as a barometer, but then again Halo CE is pretty light on story to begin with.

Barrow Roll

Oct 25, 2017

I'd advocate for playing them in release order. Each subsequent Halo game adds (and removes) weapons, tweaks weapon balance, adds new vehicles, and adds new mechanics. No Halo game plays quite like the previous, and it's not too difficult to transition from one to the next. However, by going from Reach to Halo CE, you're jumping from the end of Bungie's Halo evolutionary line right to the beginning, and I think that it would be a little jarring. Especially since I recommend first time players play Halo CE in the original graphics mode, not the remastered Anniversary edition graphics.

On a narrative level, I also don't think the events of Reach would mean a whole lot to someone that wasn't already invested in the Halo universe. I don't wanna say too much since you haven't played any of the games yet, but Reach and Halo CE are very analogous to Star Wars and Rogue One, if you've seen those. Just like Star Wars, Halo CE drops you in the thick of it without dwelling on explanations, but you learn about the universe as you go through that game, and the games that follow it. Rogue One is very much like Halo Reach in a lot ways, and I'll just leave it at that.

imagine being so tilted about getting tbagged you wont leave a 4v1 game lmao
Hope you weren't the one doing the bagging.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks for the replies everyone. The "Rogue One is to Star Wars, as Reach is to Halo" analogy makes a lot of sense to me. I don't think I would've enjoyed Rogue One as much if it was the first Star Wars movie I'd ever seen, so I think I'll wait until Halo 1 gets re-released to start my Halo journey.

It's not like I don't have a backlog to keep me busy in the meantime lol

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
My game keeps freezing up whenever I'm searching for a match. Doesn't matter if I'm using a pad or my keyboard, it will just lock up and stay there. Can't get into a match, constant freezing, and it was working better, tho sort of did this shit the first few days. It's mad frustrating, and if you try to search for a fix on google you get nothing I can work with. Anyone else have that issue here and had a solution?

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, I'm trying to play Reach two player on PC and the framerate is really bad for me (20 FPS) in performance mode and this seems really weird to me.

Specs:

8 GB RAM
Windows 10
i5-7300 2.5 GHz
GTX 1050 Ti

Is my laptop too weak?

I have basically the same laptop and easily hit 60fps, maybe the game is trying to use the integrated graphics card? In nvidia control panel you can choose to force it to use your main graphics card

Oct 26, 2017
I have basically the same laptop and easily hit 60fps, maybe the game is trying to use the integrated graphics card? In nvidia control panel you can choose to force it to use your main graphics card

Yeah I think that was the problem. My graphics drivers were corrupted so I uninstalled and reinstalled them and now it runs fine.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
I thought this game had really weird audio mixing, and that was my only negative from the campaign so far... now i'm realizing its a bug. This game is so good

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tempest is just bad Valhalla. Awful map.

Honestly I can probably count Reach's good maps on one hand I don't think I'll even use the full hand.

Part of the issue is there are some maps that MIGHT play better if Reach had better weapon balance and no armor abilities. But once you introduce jetpack and *optional* sprint a lot of map design is just irrelevant anyway.

I played BTB Slayer on the Hang Em High remake. That shit straight up belongs in action sack for how stupid it was.

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
That Longsword mission on Legendary is really, really painful. WTF do I need to do? I get shredded in an instant on the 3rd wave.
If you are really stuck just stay behind the station and only kill enemies who go back there. Eventually your allies will kill everything for you.

In the next segment DO NOT take out the 4 ship engines at the start. Once the engines are destroyed 4 additional Seraphs spawn so it's best to not spawn them until the area is clear.
I played BTB Slayer on the Hang Em High remake. That shit straight up belongs in action sack for how stupid it was.
Noted

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Can anyone help?

Clearing the Xbox system cache fixed this right away for someone I know. This page has a full walkthrough on how to do that.

You're basically fully powering down the Xbox, physically disconnecting the power cable from the console, pressing and holding the power button on the disconnected console several times to dispel remaining power and clear the cache, then plugging the unit back in then turning the system on normally after a brief wait.