• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gunner

Oct 29, 2017
Anniversary maps are easily the best (and best looking) maps in the game. I'd rather play Penance a thousand times in a row than play one forge world map once.

ActiveRush

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying Reach multiplayer so I decided to purchase the campaign. i downloaded the 10MB key and it says I can't play because I don't own the DLC. I tried deleting the key and even reinstalling the game with no luck. I can't believe this is even an issue. Can someone provide any help or support?

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying Reach multiplayer so I decided to purchase the campaign. i downloaded the 10MB key and it says I can't play because I don't own the DLC. I tried deleting the key and even reinstalling the game with no luck. I can't believe this is even an issue. Can someone provide any help or support?

Are you on Xbox? I had this happpen, I did a system restart and that fixed it for me.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Tried to play the campaign, unfortunately the audio issues are present for me. Guns have barely any sound. Guess I'll come back when they fix this. Sad panda.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really need to fix the people AFking in place by spinning in a circle. Ruins modes.

This is a symptom of experienced based rank up rewards. They just want their fancy reach armor from the "battle pass"

We need to go back to a Halo 3 style system.

https://halo.fandom.com/wiki/Rank_(Halo_3_Multiplayer)

In the games ranked modes, you get to a certain level. This is traditional MMR/Trueskill rank number. Halo 3 had some issues with getting "rank locked" which led to 2nd accounts and boosting but that aside your highest number rank would dictate how far EXP points could take you.

If you only got to number rank 30, you were capped at being a Major. As you get more EXP you can rise through the grades of major but you cannot go above major unless you get a higher "trueskill" rank.

EXP was done in the following way.
Winning - 1 point.
Tie - 1 point.
Loss - 0 points
Quitting or booted for betrayals - -1 points.

If you tie progress to actually winning games people won't AFK. At least not nearly as often.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow I enjoyed the campaign a lot more this time around. I always ranked reach near the bottom of my list, but I think that's changed now. Can't wait for Infinite!

I'm too good online in this game. Destroying Peeps. Halos the one franchise I've always been good at.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
While this thread has slowed I'm definitely watching it. I've always loved Reach, but the audio issues and lack of local co-op really is a bummer. Really looking forward to Halo CE coming out. Going to go through it and the others with someone completely fresh to Halo.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
With an assault rifle you lose like 90% of your encounters.

Who thought this was a good idea when this game was in development.

Cyrus_Saren

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Iowa
Wow I enjoyed the campaign a lot more this time around. I always ranked reach near the bottom of my list, but I think that's changed now. Can't wait for Infinite!

I'm too good online in this game. Destroying Peeps. Halos the one franchise I've always been good at.

I am the same way. Halo has been the only FPS that I have been good at. Any other FPS I just cannot seem to get into. Probably one of the reasons I have stuck by Halo for so long.

That said, Halo 5 really screwed that up for me; 1-4 and Reach I still do good at but I am terrible at 5. Not sure what the disconnect is when it comes to 5 but it has always kind of bugged me.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
The AFKers are annoying and all, but it wouldn't be Halo Reach without people doing dumb shit to grind cR/XP. I just kill them and boost my medals lol.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Honestly a lot of weapons are kind of a useless risk or just slow against the reliable DMR. No point to use the Needler unless you sneak up on someone, using a weapon like the Plasma Launcher on a map without vehicles is a complete waste of time, I dunno why they even bother putting things like the Plasma Repeater on maps.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they add crossplay soon, it's obviously something the community wants especially on the campaign co-op, custom games side of things at the very least.

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea that the audio issues were a known problem prior to starting this, but I'm definitely experiencing them. I've just done the first mission in the Sabre and I must have missed about 50% of the dialogue up to this point.

Barrow Roll

Oct 25, 2017
Yay, solo Legendary compete. Not nearly as rough as I remembered it. 60fps and mouse and keyboard definitely made a huge difference. The most problematic part of the game was probably the space combat section of Long Night of Solace.

r18CQfZ.png

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else having issues with friend requests? I'm playing via Game Pass on PC, and I have two friends playing from Steam that I cannot send friend requests to. We can play together so it's not a big deal luckily, but I was wondering if others were experiencing a similar issue.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I'm still wondering why I got an email about the crouch fix and we've still yet to hear an official word on it. Tho I've got faith.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm impressed with the people that can solo the Reach campaign on Legendary. I'm struggling just on Heroic.

Also, I really need some tips about controlling DMR bloom. I am absolute buttcheeks when it comes to DMR slayer and it seems like everyone else I play against can 3-4 shot me no problem. I've heard you need to pace your shots, but pacing them in a 1v1 just means I die first because someone else is shooting just slightly faster and landing better hits.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
posted this in the general OT, but should probably do it here too

From the Halo modding discord

1) Both H1 and H2 are playable and the project is coming along well
2) Postums will NOT be doing the next update this week, 343farn will and it will have some H1 flight details in it
3) No update till after the new year, cert is down until then
4) Postums is working on a modding show-off blog

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Playing in Germany, I always get connect to US East severs. Why?

I get the same from Scotland. Always got put onto US servers in MCC pre-Reach and did the majority of the time in Halo 5 too. It's not even taking the time to try and fill Euro lobbies, matchmaking is usually really quick for me. They must prioritise matchmaking speed over latency/gameplay experience.

What's funny is I got onto Euro servers a couple of times during the Reach flights which had a much smaller pool of players but haven't saw one yet in the full release ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 25, 2017
I'm impressed with the people that can solo the Reach campaign on Legendary. I'm struggling just on Heroic.

Also, I really need some tips about controlling DMR bloom. I am absolute buttcheeks when it comes to DMR slayer and it seems like everyone else I play against can 3-4 shot me no problem. I've heard you need to pace your shots, but pacing them in a 1v1 just means I die first because someone else is shooting just slightly faster and landing better hits.
Aaaaand welcome to Halo Reach my friend lol. But in all seriousness, it's just a mixture of finding a good rhythm with your shots while also trying to as accurate as possible. If you're playing on m&kb, just know landing long shot strings is much easier on controller due to the game's aggressive aim assist.

Also, the team hardcore playlist takes out bloom completely and the game plays sooo much better for it. That's where a lot of good players play though so you may catch some mean L's if you're still learning the basics.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
what's this "bloom is reduced and bleed through is enabled" stuff I see when loading into matches?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I don't believe this. I haven't heard anyone on PC ask for this.

I'm mostly on PC and could absolutely use it in my circle. You don't believe users would want cross-play, especially for they modes mentioned?

what's this "bloom is reduced and bleed through is enabled" stuff I see when loading into matches?

Bloom is the (in)accuracy spread that flares out right after each shot you take, which you'll see represented on the weapon reticle. Bleed through I have no idea, and have wondered myself.

Last edited:

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
feeling stronk after not playing for a few days while busy, coming back, and immediately getting a bonkers sniper spree on the first slayer game i played. halo, it's good

Oct 30, 2017
Aaaaand welcome to Halo Reach my friend lol. But in all seriousness, it's just a mixture of finding a good rhythm with your shots while also trying to as accurate as possible. If you're playing on m&kb, just know landing long shot strings is much easier on controller due to the game's aggressive aim assist.

Also, the team hardcore playlist takes out bloom completely and the game plays sooo much better for it. That's where a lot of good players play though so you may catch some mean L's if you're still learning the basics.

Lol, no you're right. It's a harsh welcome to the game, that's for sure. Seems like bloom is just something you compensate for with practice. I did try Team Hardcore, but I am terrible with objective-based gametypes like CTF so I try to stick with Slayer, SWAT, and Snipers. I wish there was a social playlist for Slayer without bloom.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Who? Bungie.

Bungie has been adamant in starting you with an easy to use but weak gun. It was only until the community complained that they added and weighted BR starts heavier. It was brutal in Halo 3 where every AR fight was running at each other and trading melee kills. Extra brutal when you played against a good team and that team got control of the BR and power weapons. Have fun getting wrecked. Bungie, at the very least, introduced a SERVICEABLE pistol in Halo Reach. If you're on AR starts switch to pistol immediatley. 5 shot kill with the headshot. Bloom is a bitch on the thing though.

Like others have said... welcome to Reach. It can be a crap shoot. The only thing you can do is push the odds in your favor. Are you down a shot or two? Spam because you might win out. Are you up a shot or two? Hold for the final shot to get the headshot. My general strategy is to spam the first 3-4 shots and wait for the headshot but it all depends on the situation. You gotta learn when to spam, when to pace, and just know that all that does it push the odds in one direction or another.

It's their really dumb way of explaining TU settings. In short - it means the reticle blooms less and melee damage can go through shields and health. Ie if the persons shields are up but weak enough, a melee will kill them.

A history lesson: Reach launched with a much higher bloom rate. Meaning the pistol, DMR, and needle rifle reticles expanded about 15% more with each shot. If you thought pacing your shots was excruciatingly slow in TU settings it was BRUTAL in vanilla settings. If you want a taste of that, play Invasion.

The way bungie handled melee damage and shields was also a big departure from Halo 1-3. In those games you can weaken the shield with some shots, melee, and the melee damage would break through the shields and get at your health and kill you. That is what bleed through is. When Reach launched they decided that melees do not get bleed through. Meaning if you put 13 AR bullets in someone and they have a SLIVER of shield left, your melee will not kill them. It will only strip their shield. This led to very frustating moments where you got the drop on someone and put more shots on them, but if they got within melee range and landed the melee you were now on even ground. To make matters worse, with the inclusion of sprint, it was a VERY viable strategy to just rush your enemy and land the melee.