• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm on Reach pc playing mostly slayer. They even said in the patch notes that they lowered the weighting for the anniversary and dlc maps but for the past three days I've basically only gotten Swordbase, High Noon, Prisoner, Unanchored and Uplink.

It's pretty awful atm. Game needs a veto system.
I'd assume the difficulty there is due to the immense amount of options to choose from and the game trying to comprehend how to differ the decision making. I think the best way to circumvent that would be to just keep the veto to the same game but just a another map. I think that would help the game from possibly losing its shit trying to figure out what game/map/gametype to matchmake (considering the unique player filters as well) afterward and not losing much time matchmaking due to this.

But totally agree, would love to see the veto system or possibly a voting system if reasonably doable.

AlmostMilk

Oct 27, 2017
I'd assume the difficulty there is due to the immense amount of options to choose from and the game trying to comprehend how to differ the decision making. I think the best way to circumvent that would be to just keep the veto to the same game but just a another map. I think that would help the game from possibly losing its shit trying to figure out what game/map/gametype to matchmake (considering the unique player filters as well) afterward and not losing much time matchmaking due to this.

But totally agree, would love to see the veto system or possibly a voting system if reasonably doable.
They had a voting system back when the game first launched on console but it was a disaster. You pretty much only played on the same maps because people would always vote for the same thing over and over. There was a veto system back on Halo 3 that worked pretty well and if they brought that back it could work well.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
They had a voting system back when the game first launched on console but it was a disaster. You pretty much only played on the same maps because people would always vote for the same thing over and over. There was a veto system back on Halo 3 that worked pretty well and if they brought that back it could work well.
Wow I got MCC on launch and didn't recall the voting system. Yeah that makes sense. I think Halo 3's veto system was a good balance.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
interesting, then if I see none of my files is it because none were uploaded or because they are not tied to me and I need to search for them?

If you didn't put them into your Xbox 360 File Share for each Halo game and prior to the deadline, then nothing would transfer over to the MCC. Did you do that?

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I am having some weird issues lately - I can't get into a multiplayer game, at all. No matter the game mode (social, ranked, firefight). I just get constant searching for players. This has happened on two occasions now and I don't know how to fix this.

I am on Windows 10 via game pass.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
A wee update on server blocking, originally blocking EastUS and EastUS2 was enough to get me put onto Euro servers but tonight MCC saw fit to put me onto North CentralUS, CentralUS and WestUS servers. For someone from Scotland it's absolutely awful, EastUS is a dream compared to those servers! I've now blocked

pfmsqosprod.eastus.cloudapp.azure.com
pfmsqosprod.eastus2.cloudapp.azure.com
pfmsqosprod.northcentralus.cloudapp.azure.com
pfmsqosprod.centralus.cloudapp.azure.com
pfmsqosprod.southcentralus.cloudapp.azure.com
pfmsqosprod.westus.cloudapp.azure.com

in my router firewall and started getting all sorts of issues. "Your pings are too high to play on the selected server" was an error that started popping up that prevented me from searching at all. Sometimes matchmaking outright broke and would abort the search a split second after I pushed search. It seems that unless I leave at least one US Azure server unblocked in my router I can't play MCC on Xbox but if I leave one US server unblocked the game will choose that location rather than place me in a Euro game. What an absolute mess. It's either play on US servers with 3 figure pings or don't play at all it seems.

Edit: I started getting "Contacting Server: Locating your nearest dedicated server. Please wait." and "Connecting to transport service" messages when entering matchmaking but searches still abort instantly when I try to search. I absolutely can't search without at least one US server unblocked and it always matches me on the one that's unblocked. So stupid.

Edit2: I've narrowed it down a bit, matchmaking still fails if only South CentralUS or WestUS servers are left unblocked by themselves. Without at least one of EastUS, EastUS2 or CentralUS unblocked matchmaking aborts as soon as I try to search. I can block Euro/Asian/Australian/South American etc servers without issue but I need at least one US server unlocked or I can't play. Makes it worse that 343 added matchmaking region issues to their bug list but said they're not working on it just now. Ah well.

Last edited:

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I wish we got exp for doing campaign stuff

PvP is fine but I enjoy the campaigns too. Season pass is so grindy that I don't have the time to do both if I actually want to customise my spartan 😕

Tomash

Oct 25, 2017
Makes it worse that 343 added matchmaking region issues to their bug list but said they're not working on it just now. Ah well.
This could be the reason for that:

Goes on to say that players with high ping quit less, and it's a trend that hasn't changed over the years.
343i also considers anything less than 125ms as a good ping. Link

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This could be the reason for that:

Goes on to say that players with high ping quit less, and it's a trend that hasn't changed over the years.
343i also considers anything less than 125ms as a good ping. Link

Ooo I haven't seen that tweet, thanks for the link! I don't quit because of the threat of quit bans tbf. I'll likely just stop playing altogether like I did before which sucks as a big Halo fan but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My pings according to the MCC settings menu are North Europe 25ms, West Europe 30ms, East US 123ms, East US2 129ms, Central US 157ms, South Central US 184ms, West US 220ms. I've played on West US servers multiple times tonight while trying to find a server configuration that works for me. So by their own metrics they're happily putting me into games that they consider bad. I wish they'd let us choose which datacenters to use, I'd happily wait longer to play on local servers.

Had the same issue in Halo 5 , got US servers almost all the time until they tightened region restrictions for a couple of months and the game played like a dream. Euro servers every time. Then they removed the restrictions and it all went to crap again.

Edit: Wow, West US servers are in California. According to Google that's 4,994 miles from me haha. No wonder it felt awful. Tried making an OpenDNS account and blocking the US datacenters that way but it didn't work. Think I'm all out of options.

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has 343 commented on map vetoes? Because I really want map vetoes...

There's no map vetoes in H5. I think they are against it.

Map voting seems like a good choice but the unintended concequence is you always play the same shit all the time and you never see some maps/gametypes.

I think the Halo 3 veto is a good compromise. You can veto the initial map but you're stuck with whatever they pick after.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Don't expect an audio patch until sometime early next year (it's at the top of their list of fixes so hopefully next month)

If you're referring to the way the game handles unlocked frame rate mode, don't expect a patch for that until well into next year

Pretty hilarious. Why even release the game in this state and then leave it the same for months.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think I should play Halo 1 before Reach, so I'm holding off on the campaign for now. I love the ringworld image that pops up in the menus.

I finally dabbled in the MP, just kind of threw myself into it. I'm really bad with it for some reason, I take too many hits to kill, kinda? Am I missing some sort of skill I can use besides whatever the shift key triggers?

Also, is there an interaction button for flags and stuff?

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I think I should play Halo 1 before Reach, so I'm holding off on the campaign for now. I love the ringworld image that pops up in the menus.

I finally dabbled in the MP, just kind of threw myself into it. I'm really bad with it for some reason, I take too many hits to kill, kinda? Am I missing some sort of skill I can use besides whatever the shift key triggers?

Also, is there an interaction button for flags and stuff?

Reach's multi is a bit different from a lot of modern shooters in that, until you take down your opponent's shields, it doesn't matter where you shoot them (unless you're using the sniper rifle). The DMR, for example (starter rifle in most multi matches) takes 5 shots to kill minimum. 4 to take out shields and one headshot to kill.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reach's multi is a bit different from a lot of modern shooters in that, until you take down your opponent's shields, it doesn't matter where you shoot them (unless you're using the sniper rifle). The DMR, for example (starter rifle in most multi matches) takes 5 shots to kill minimum. 4 to take out shields and one headshot to kill.
I see. Good to know!

Is the fancy blue sword something you pick up on maps?

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
was there a patch recently that broke some stuff? i went back to the collection yesterday:
- halo 2 anniversary runs pretty bad. constant framedrops and stuttering.
- halo 1 anniversary is almost unplayable. constant, massive framedrops. fps seems to fluctuate between 30-60 all the time.

i played both games a few months ago and everything was fine. the hell?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got round to playing FF the other night. I'd forgotten how awesome it is, and for to a solid 4K60 even during the busy round finales is a delight.

I'd forgotten how much I loved the medals lol.

Oct 25, 2017
was there a patch recently that broke some stuff? i went back to the collection yesterday:
- halo 2 anniversary runs pretty bad. constant framedrops and stuttering.
- halo 1 anniversary is almost unplayable. constant, massive framedrops. fps seems to fluctuate between 30-60 all the time.

i played both games a few months ago and everything was fine. the hell?
You reset your xbox? Unplug it for 10 seconds and try again

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
What is wrong with the game? I mean, I'm not a competitive gamer but I put the game on, get into games really quickly and just have fun playing. What is so wrong with the game?
Games can function while still being a bad port. While it does work and it is enjoyable you'll notice things the more you play the game.

Issues off the top of my head include:
weak audio
weird kb&m input
campaign connectivity
frequent stutters mid-gameplay
screen tearing
high frame rates not working as intended
keybindings for chat being blocked
not being able to crouch and move on kb&m.

Thankfully most of these issues and more have been recognized by 343 so we'll see what they can do.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
I can't believe the sound has not been fixed yet for Reach, it's the only reason I picked up the full package and refuse to play the campaign with the sound like that.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the sound has not been fixed yet for Reach, it's the only reason I picked up the full package and refuse to play the campaign with the sound like that.
I think I actually absolutely hate this modern practice of shipping a fundamentally fucked up game, patch it later over months and sometimes year(s), and collect your money up front, like I'm subscribing to the total package some day.

:|

Also, I find it very funny I thought this port would be different even after witnessing the aborted Xbox release. I'm a mark!

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
My biggest fear is Reach's issues never being fixed which could set a precedent of all Halo games being ported having issues that'll never be fixed.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
well the sound is busted on all platforms

and 343 never fixed the problems with Halo 1... still broken in comparison to OG xbox release in the visuals department.
343 mentioned bringing out the Xbox devkits to take a look at the code to get it more in the line with the original xbox release.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
The radio silence is the weird part. They used to be super open during the flights, now nothing

The radio silence was because they were on the holiday break.

They posted a small update on the Insider Forums yesterday. Bigger blog post update will also go up this month, as well.

Hello Friends,

A New Year means new news for development on Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Today we are returning to our weekly updates around development, feedback, and flighting for the MCC. This update will be pretty light since we are all settling back into the office this week and picking up where we left off after the winter holiday.To kick things off in this update we are going to recap the last in-game event of 2019.Ugly Sweater Nameplate and

Double XP

Last month we held an event for players that was all about getting into the wintery spirit. Players were challenged to play either matchmade games on snow dusted maps or beat par scores on snowy campaign missions across all titles in MCC on Xbox or PC to earn the Ugly Sweater nameplate. To make this endeavor even sweeter, we held a Double XP event through the month of December. As we have seen across social media this was well received and allowed many to quickly climb the ranks, working towards seasonal unlocks across the collection.To those who participated, we want to offer a thank you for spending your time with us in game. The final series of grants has gone out and in total, roughly 150,000 Ugly Sweater nameplates were granted to members of the community. Wear those sweaters proudly to stay warm during these wintry months!

Flighting Updates

Progress is being made towards public flighting, but no official dates are on the books just yet. As always, flighting is ready when it's ready and as we get closer we will be sure to communicate in blogs like this one. Keep an eye out!Bad Apples
In the month of December, we took action against a number of players who were abusing, exploiting, and committing nefarious behavior. We have investigated and seen that there are a number of folks who didn't seem to learn their lesson and think it okay to continue this behavior. In the very near future the Ban Hammer will swing again, and harsher penalties will be leveled against these bad applesAs a reminder, HERE is a direct link to our official rules statement as it relates to bans and why it may have happened to you.

Community Feedback

Since launch, the community at whole has been talking across all areas of the internet. This has been everywhere from online clubs, Discord servers, Twitter, Reddit, HaloWaypoint feedback threads, and so many more social media platforms. We have been listening and taking note of the many hot topics including everything from discussions around Veto, progression, aim assist, key rebinding, server selection, and many more. I'm currently tracking feedback themes on over 100 unique trends being discussed in the community.One area that has been gaining a lot of traction since Halo: Reach's release is the discussion of DMR starts and Title Update settings. I would like to say to players that your feedback is being heard and ongoing discussions are being had internally regarding this topic.This post however will not be one where we address individual topics, these items are more suited for a larger discussion. Each month we write a development blog as it relates to Halo: The Master Chief Collection, this is where you should be looking.It is in these articles where we will be taking a more robust look into these topics with the development team.. In case you missed it, please look at the MCC Development Update for December 2019 HERE.The teams here at 343 are always listening, discussing, and evaluating the feedback that comes from the community. It is something we take pride in and are constantly looking to improve. Being a large franchise with a lengthy history of working with all areas of the community, topics that come up from the community aren't always an easy solve, and require much more extensive discussions. That along with the sheer amount of feedback and requests means that it does take time sift through all of it. But I can assure you that we are discussing feedback that we have been hearing from the community.More news on these items will come through the January 2020 Development Update blog for Halo: The Master Chief Collection. When this comes out, we will be sure to spread the information far and wide.News and Information Locations
Since the first release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on PC with Halo: Reach, there has been a large influx of players who have been looking for information as it relates to the different parts of development. Below are a few key locations where you can get information at about Halo.Matchmaking Updates
  • Occur Wednesday mornings with explanations posted in the respective Game forums.
Development/Flighting Updates
  • This is one of them!
  • Occur weekly, usually published on the Friday (PT) of each week.
  • As we have more definitive schedules/news to share around flighting, they will come from here.
Additional Informational Activities
  • MCC Development Update: A monthly in-depth look into the development efforts for Halo: The Master Chief Collection.
  • Community Update: This blog discusses current news across all the Halo franchise every few weeks.
  • Community Spotlight: A showcase of community creations that goes out every few weeks. People who are highlighted in this blog earn the Fire Unicorn skin for Halo 5 and nameplate for MCC.
  • 343 Social Stream: Every Wednesday, join us from 1:30-3:00pm PT and if you match us in-game, you can earn the exclusive Ice Unicorn skin for Halo 5 and nameplate for MCC.

To ensure you know exactly when these come out, be sure to follow the @Halo account on Twitter and join the conversation in the Official Halo Discord. For up-to-date support related articles including Known Issues, technical issue work arounds, and known outages, please be sure to follow the @HaloSupport account on Twitter. To discuss technical issues, please be sure to visit the Halo Support site HERE to find out if your problem is a known issue or if you should submit a ticket.Until next time Spartans, thank you for stopping by and we will see y'all online!

Cheers,
Postums