• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UPDATE: Emails have been sent.

Flighting starts today. Emails go out within the next 2 hours.

343 Industries just posted this weeks Community Update and it includes some informative tidbits...

Since I've seen quite a few people out there ask, "What's been confirmed about Halo Infinite so far?" so I've decided to build out a list and break it all down:

• Release date: Holiday 2020 release for the entire Xbox family of devices, including Project Scarlett and Windows PCs
  • When does it take place in the universe: It follows the Master Chief's story some time after Halo 5: Guardians' conclusion
  • LAN: Halo Infinite will support LAN
  • Splitscreen: Splitscreen is up and running internally
  • Back in Black: Black undersuits will be in the game
  • Flighting Programs: These opt-in flights will start small and slowly expand out until release
  • PC: Flighting may come a little bit later for PC players, but we're treating it as a first-class citizen
  • Player Customization: If you liked the level armor customization options in Halo: Reach, you will be pleased
  • SR 152: Players who hit SR 152 in Halo 5: Guardians will receive a token of appreciation in Halo Infinite
  • Pro Team: There is an internal Pro Team for Halo Infinite

If everything goes according to plan, our first flight for Halo: Reach on MCC PC will be next week to a small subsection of registered Halo Insiders. We're starting more modestly because we've got quite a few levers to pull and we want to ensure our delivery pipeline runs smoothly, our communications are clear, and that participants can properly provide their feedback on the build. Since there are so many pieces and levers that need testing, verification, and appropriate approvals, we need to take our time to ensure we're sending out a quality flight to our Halo Insiders. The team has a build which appears to be a strong candidate, but it's still in the middle of going through the test process as I type (and as you read). That said, we're still targeting to release next week and will be sharing the details with the public, so even if you aren't selected for the flight, you'll know what's happening. Stay tuned for more details throughout!

Last edited:

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Let's goooooooooo

sLEDMCP.gif

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Reach like armor customization.

Thank you!

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
We have any idea if it's crossplay with Xbox MCC? Want to co-op campaign but I'd rather play on XB1 and my buddy rather PC.

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
" small subsection of registered Halo Insiders ". That's depressing seeing as that probably just means streamers + 10 random lucky people.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully at least two or three games shipped on PC before year's end. Maybe not though.
CEA is being done at the same time as Reach, will probably wont take too long after Reach for that to start testing. Depending on how similar the CEA and H2A Saber graphics layer are, those also should be pretty fast too. 3 and 4 idk though.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
This is taking so long to actually release properly on PC that I'm not expecting anything more than Reach by the end of the year.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't lie, I'm getting excited about Halo Infinite. The classic Chief and Reach customization is a great start. I just really hope they're not stopping at the Chief's design, and revert the Covenant back to classics. The Grunts are ugly in Halo 5.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
This is taking so long to actually release properly on PC that I'm not expecting anything more than Reach by the end of the year.
Reason this is taking so long is because it's the first game and basically the foundation of their PC port. Once Halo: Reach is up and running I don't imagine the rest of them to take nearly as long.

Oct 30, 2017
I can't even imagine what kind of a grind it is to get to SR 152. I only have managed to hit 63 or 64. I don't play the game religiously by any means but the 150 or so hours it took to hit the 60s felt like forever. I jus tplan on hitting 69 and calling it quits.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Its going to be a LONG time before we get to Halo 3 on PC isnt it?
Not really. You need to remember Reach is the starting point. Also Reach hasnt been in MCC yet even on Xbox.
All the things they do now will also affect the games after it. They are even working on CE already. Then you have more and more people join with flights and its slow a snowball effect. :)

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Its going to be a LONG time before we get to Halo 3 on PC isnt it?
Nah I still think they could make the end of year internal goal.

1. Reach need a LOT of work, the initial porting from Power PC to x86, fundamental UI work and other backend system that will be used in the other games
2. Halo CEA is being worked on at the same time as Reach, it's based on the PC version already, hardest part should be the Saber graphics engine
3. Halo 2 again is based on the PC version, depends on how the anniversary graphics engine ends up.
4. Halo 3 is kinda already there, they should have access to what Saber did for Halo: Online.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry, maybe I'm being dense but what the hell is "flighting"?

It's a software dev term for deliverables in agile studio setups. "Agile" is a specific management style that's about getting more frequent, responsive updates/improvements during development instead of having a big, monolithic project all finished at the same time. Microsoft was one of the companies to popularize it a bunch of years ago, but it's used pretty broadly.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
From what Korn has said before about Saber3D, it's a fucking pain in the arse to work with, older games like TimeShift don't even work on modern PCs anymore and Quake Champions just runs like dog shit even on moderately capable hardware

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
From what Korn has said before about Saber3D, it's a fucking pain in the arse to work with, older games like TimeShift don't even work on modern PCs anymore and Quake Champions just runs like dog shit even on moderately capable hardware
Luckily if CEA and 2A are similar enough, CEA will get a lot of ground work done for H2

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Also they could have released Reach already in flights i am sure. But i think they want to make a good first impression.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike that term "flighting".

people just up and decide words mean completely different shit.

Trickstah

Banned
Sep 16, 2018

The difference is Reach had to have been upgraded for both PC and Xbox version. Halo 1 to 4 has already been updated and the only thing they'd need to implement is the PC changes (FOV Slider, middle aimer ect) So it won't involve as much work as Reach.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I dislike that term "flighting".

people just up and decide words mean completely different shit.

I always think of it like beer flights, because it's about smaller, more frequent output/updates instead of one big "final" one that might come too late or have unforseen QA issues. The term has been around software development circles for at least half a decade, AFAIK, but I admittedly confused it with the marketing term initially.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Have no idea what a flight is (beta? Stress test?) but I want to play Reach so much, they are taking so long

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I keep saying it tho. If flight goes live for PC and the test thread goes up. The OT name must be. Finish The Flight. :P

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even imagine what kind of a grind it is to get to SR 152. I only have managed to hit 63 or 64. I don't play the game religiously by any means but the 150 or so hours it took to hit the 60s felt like forever. I jus tplan on hitting 69 and calling it quits.

It takes 26 million XP to get to SR 150.

It takes another 24 million XP to get from SR 150 to SR 152.

It's a rediculous grind.