• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Previously I've said that "if things go according to plan, flighting should begin this month." As we're now in the back half of April, I'm still optimistic this will be the case but it's also possible those plans may not fully land as we initially hoped. Folks that have been around and follow me know that I'm all about trying to be as up front and honest as possible - both with good news and less favorable news. This means that sometimes we may share information about the current state of affairs and targets and plans that could end up changing slightly or dramatically. As long as folks want an open dialog, I'm happy to keep the information flowing, but we just need to all be mindful that talking about stuff early means there's always risks of changes - but I'm committed to keeping you abreast of the full story and when things change, sharing that info as soon as possible so we're always all on the same page. Cool? Cool.

So, over the past weeks the 343 publishing team and our partners at Splash Damage and Ruffian have been working nonstop to bring Reach to MCC and get things up and running well on PC. We've had a few small private external flights of Reach on Xbox One thus far which continue to help the team validate work and identify any show stoppers or big issues that need to be addressed before we roll anything out to a broader flighting group. Not to tease, but I have Reach MCC running on the Scorpio dev kit at my desk right now - that's where we got the screenshot of the campaign UI that Uny shared in the last community update. On Xbox it's looking and playing great already.

PC is considerably more complicated and requires a lot more work. We have internal builds floating around and have had lots of internal playtests that have been helping to generate bugs and gather valuable feedback. One of the team's main priorities to support PC flighting is getting the mouse/keyboard controls feeling as good as possible and there's been good progress on that front. Some key things are still coming together though - for example, in yesterday's playtest build, the full UI and functionality to remap keys isn't in yet so if you want to change defaults, it requires launching a separate application. That works for now, but isn't a viable experience for any kind of external flighting. I will say that it felt pretty good though and it looked fantastic. The "Pro Team" at 343 - a group of former pro players assembled to help focus on the competitive design/balance/experience for Halo Infinite - has been chipping in and spending a lot of time playing MCC on PC. We're looking to these experts as our first line of defense to help us keep moving in the right direction for the "feel" of the game. Yesterday Postums and I had to play against Mikwen and Heinz in a bloodbath of a Slayer game but it was all good in the name of testing and feedback. (I killed at least one of them once)

The other big factor and dependency for flighting is getting telemetry implemented into the game build to ensure our team can get the critical data and insights they need to validate all the hard work they're doing and the specific goals for a flight. This is complex and all new work that has to be done for each flight. I'm also learning that just the process of carving out a 'safe' build that can be flighted to external people is a learning process. While we've done this with MCC on Xbox all last year, doing this on Steam is a brand new process and is something we're still learning as we go.

To help tide folks over, Postums is working on an April development update blog which we're targeting for release sometime next week. Our partners at Splash Damage have passed along some insights and updates into the work they're doing and we're also poking our colleagues here to maybe throw us a screenshot or two. When we do get closer to the first public flight, we're also going to do a proper stream and showcase Reach and where it currently stands. Since the flights won't be under NDA and participants will stream that content, we want to get out in front of that and play it ourselves to provide proper context and insight for players on what will be a work-in-progress build.We're still seeing a steady flow of Halo Insider sign-ups and we're incredibly thankful for the outpouring of support across the community. Hang in there - we're eager to share and show more as soon as we can!

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...19/aaca7f51-2b1b-449a-adb5-215f820cfd6f/posts

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Really love this this approach with the Insider Filighting program. No NDA is also pretty cool, because if I don't get in, I'll just watch somebody on Twitch.

Looking forward to this one, as well:

When we do get closer to the first public flight, we're also going to do a proper stream and showcase Reach and where it currently stands.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah no NDA is amazing.

Btw if there is gonna be a OT for the PC version we need it to be called "Finish the flight" :P

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Difficult to say. Like the example they post about key bindings. It can be a "hot" build.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I like the idea that I'll be able to post Steam controller game play of the flight. I'm surprised the thing was even mentioned in the little hardware survey.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Reading this on Thursday had me thinking that the Xbox flight for Reach would be hitting sooner than the PC version as they cleanup controls and UI stuff on PC.

Would love to be playing Reach in 4K/60 with HDR in the next 2 weeks.

No, which is bullshit in my opinion.

It'll be on PC Game Pass and they're looking into a solution to supplement for the lack of PA. It could end up like Quantam Break where they send out a code for the PC version of the game to anyone who played on Xbox before a certain date.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The wording in that makes it sound like its totally not going to be April but they just dont want to say as much yet.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
No, which is bullshit in my opinion.
While I agree, I don't remember any game that retroactively was made Play Anywhere after the program was released. There might be something under the hood that makes it hard, since there is a good amount of Xbox first party that are not Play Anywhere.

On topic, really excited for this. Just got a new PC and updated my information on Halo insider, can't wait.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
While I agree, I don't remember any game that retroactively was made Play Anywhere after the program was released. There might be something under the hood that makes it hard, since there is a good amount of Xbox first party that are not Play Anywhere.

On topic, really excited for this. Just got a new PC and updated my information on Halo insider, can't wait.
Killer Instinct

Nov 1, 2017
Really like the open transparency about how it's all going. I always appreciate this kind of way of communicating with your customers, please don't ruin it by screaming bloody murder if plans and dates do change or else we won't ever get to have nice things. This kind of approach would be great for BC as well. I get that they like to use the odd big game (i.e. recently NG2) as a promotional thing but personally i would much prefer it if say 2 months ago they casually said "NG2 has been agreed on with Koei Tecmo, we're just beavering away getting it running" and have it turn up when it's ready.

On topic, Halo Reach is the one Halo game i've yet to play but i've been on a Halo binge recently and am more than happy to wait for Reach to be fully polished before i dive back in and finish the fight.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The wording in that makes it sound like its totally not going to be April but they just dont want to say as much yet.
Think it can slip into early may if something happens. Guess it depends on how the latest build is and if there is a problem with it or something.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Really like the open transparency about how it's all going. I always appreciate this kind of way of communicating with your customers, please don't ruin it by screaming bloody murder if plans and dates do change or else we won't ever get to have nice things. This kind of approach would be great for BC as well. I get that they like to use the odd big game (i.e. recently NG2) as a promotional thing but personally i would much prefer it if say 2 months ago they casually said "NG2 has been agreed on with Koei Tecmo, we're just beavering away getting it running" and have it turn up when it's ready.

On topic, Halo Reach is the one Halo game i've yet to play but i've been on a Halo binge recently and am more than happy to wait for Reach to be fully polished before i dive back in and finish the fight.
Yes hope the community chills abit when a certain deadline is hit right away. This is for alot op games tho. Because devs only go silent if they get attacked all time. Yet we want transparency also.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Still no news about the filght? May is Wednesday!
I won't mind too much if it's delayed, I just thought there'd be info either way by now.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
3a6.gif

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
have they said anything about how armour customisation's going to work yet? mcc games have traditionally simplified/removed all that stuff, which is a bummer for me since playing as my own custom Noble 6 really did add something to Reach's campaign.

EyWcUut.jpg

SqsUy3l.jpg

(part of the reason I'm honestly kinda bummed they're going all in on the Chief for Halo: Infinite, even tho I do like him--I'd love to make my own Spartan for SP again.)

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Flighting has been delayed, update blog will be posted tomorrow which will have screenshots.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Well disregard what I just said, no new target timeframe will be announced

Howdy folks -
I'm making a new pinned thread to keep track of ongoing Halo Insider update posts. I've made a couple thus far, and have copied the originals over to keep it all contained in this thread so it's easier for everyone to keep tabs on. I'm going to keep this thread locked so it's clean and just contains the update archives, but please feel free to spin up discussions here in the Halo Insider forum. You can find the latest updates here at the top with past updates as replies down below.Halo Insider Update - April 29
With the end of April nearly upon us, I wanted to jump in and share another quick update. Twenty-eight days ago I tweeted that "if all goes according to plan, this is the month public flighting will begin!" While many suspected that was an April Fools joke, the reality was that we did have aspirations and plans to hopefully kickoff flighting in April. That wasn't a joke.In a post on 4/17 I noted it might not happen and now with only a day to go, I can definitively say there won't be any public flights this month. I know excitement and anticipation is off the charts and everyone here inside the studio shares it as well. But this is a really complicated project and we all agree that quality trumps everything else and we need to bring MCC to PC at the bar Halo fans and PC players expect and demand. That's turning out to be more challenging than first anticipated in some aspects while there's been great progress and work done in plenty of other areas.At this point I'm not even going to attempt to share another "target timeframe" for the first public flighting beyond saying that the 343 publishing team and our partners at Ruffian and Splash Damage are working hard to get the pieces in place to support flighting as soon as possible.We have an April Development Update blog just about ready for release (should be out no later than tomorrow afternoon) which will offer a bit more insight into how the project is going. Overall, it is progressing well and Reach is already pretty fun to play on a PC. We look forward to showing you first hand once we're closer to a final public flight start date. Until then, check back tomorrow for the update blog and we'll do our best to keep everyone informed and look for opportunities to address your questions along the way.
thanks!

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
Surely it hurts but it's not the end of the world. Take your time, whenever you'll be ready it will be good for all of us!

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
So, the actual release of Reach, at least, is nowhere near the coming months, right? More like autumn this year?