Halo: The Master Chief Collection announced for PC (Steam/Microsoft Store) - Staggered release, Reach first

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
People don't realize just how fanatical the community that sprang up around Halo Custom Edition was. We've waited in the shadows...

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
Here's my non-educated, overly optimistic speculation that is definitely 100% going to happen:

Halo 5 is a ways off but needs to be out before Infinite, will release at the start of next year. The rest of the games therefore need to be out even earlier.
Reach gets shadow-dropped on Sunday - that's clearly why they're holding out on release details until then.
As soon as the announcement goes live, a bunch of big streamers will have the game already and will be streaming right away.
MCC games will then be released between now and the end of the year, one every couple of months.
Trump gets impeached. Brexit gets cancelled. The world in general decides to chill the fuck out, stop all the bullshit, and relax with some Halo. Guaranteed.
I like you and your worldview.

This news is such a breath of fresh air. I, for one, am ready to take my first dip in the world of Halo. Is the chronological order of PC MCC releases the recommended one to play these games?

Fitts

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. So this requires Xbox Live to play on PC? It’s great that Microsoft isn’t holding one of their games hostage on the Windows Store, but that’s a huge (negative) deal, no?

And do they intend to charge full price up front and roll this out over time or charge per game as add-ons? Because if it’s the former then woof...

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. So this requires Xbox Live to play on PC? It’s great that Microsoft isn’t holding one of their games hostage on the Windows Store, but that’s a huge (negative) deal, no?

And do they intend to charge full price up front and roll this out over time or charge per game as add-ons? Because if it’s the former then woof...
xbox live is free on pc. just requires you to sign in using a free microsoft account.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Just need a Microsoft account. Just like you need a uPlay account to play Ubisoft Steam games.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017

If they wanted a Gold sub, things would be bad, but an account sounds acceptable. Again, details to be seen.

They mentioned a piece by piece purchase scheme, I wouldn't mind having the bundle up on day one though.

Fitts

Oct 25, 2017
xbox live is free on pc. just requires you to sign in using a free microsoft account.
Ah gotcha. I knew they added the Xbox branding to Windows some time ago but never cared to know what they were actually doing with it.

Still weird that they make you log into a separate account from Steam. I wonder if my old account that I had all the way back from the Live beta is still active.

Silencio

Oct 25, 2017
I love everything I'm reading here. Hopefully at least the first part comes to fruition!
I hope you’re right about every single part of this, but especially the bolded.
#ReachForTheStars #IfYouBuildIt #CancelArmageddon

This news is such a breath of fresh air. I, for one, am ready to take my first dip in the world of Halo. Is the chronological order of PC MCC releases the recommended one to play these games?
We just need to all Believe hard enough and the Chief will pull through for us. #Believe

Edit: I'd also personally say the best way to play would be in the original order of release but the PC order is also fine.

RadCatDad

Feb 27, 2019
Here's my non-educated, overly optimistic speculation that is definitely 100% going to happen:

Halo 5 is a ways off but needs to be out before Infinite, will release at the start of next year. The rest of the games therefore need to be out even earlier.
Reach gets shadow-dropped on Sunday - that's clearly why they're holding out on release details until then.
As soon as the announcement goes live, a bunch of big streamers will have the game already and will be streaming right away.
MCC games will then be released between now and the end of the year, one every couple of months.
Trump gets impeached. Brexit gets cancelled. The world in general decides to chill the fuck out, stop all the bullshit, and relax with some Halo. Guaranteed.
Lol

TyMiles2012

Mar 26, 2018
Ah gotcha. I knew they added the Xbox branding to Windows some time ago but never cared to know what they were actually doing with it.

Still weird that they make you log into a separate account from Steam. I wonder if my old account that I had all the way back from the Live beta is still active.
Likely it's to enable crossplay, manage friends, and sync it's own achievement system. Xbox Live is basically a matchmaking API now. For example, Minecraft requires an XBL login on every platform, including the Nintendo Switch.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Forge World was an ambitious project and it just dawned on me that I’ll be able to load into that shit on a PC and build for hours....finally. Halo on pc can’t come soon enough. GOD IS REAL

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Reach had the best character design in the series. 4's was a major step backwards.

LukarWuff

Oct 27, 2017

I’d personally recommend release order for gameplay reasons (Halo -> Halo 2 -> Halo 3 -> ODST -> Reach -> Halo 4), but this order isn’t bad at all. There’s nothing in Reach that spoils the later games, and it shows the events that lead directly into the beginning of the first game, so you might have a bit of a better understanding of the state of the story by the time you get to the first game. The PC release order is fine.

HueyFreeman

Oct 27, 2017
I realize it’s entirely speculation but anybody with insight have any sense how well anniversary 1 and 2 run on older PCs? Let’s say at 1080p.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
I’d personally recommend release order for gameplay reasons (Halo -> Halo 2 -> Halo 3 -> ODST -> Reach -> Halo 4), but this order isn’t bad at all. There’s nothing in Reach that spoils the later games, and it shows the events that lead directly into the beginning of the first game, so you might have a bit of a better understanding of the state of the story by the time you get to the first game. The PC release order is fine.
Thank you and to Silencio for your replies. I'll try the PC order starting with Reach then :).

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
Man, just thinking back, even as a kid I could notice some of the weird graphical quirks of Reach and learned much later on about frame rates and resolution. I really am excited for the resolution boost and 60fps.

Hope it comes out soon.

And I can't wait to see the mods for every Halo. Super exciting.