• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they do that instead of pumping files directly to Steam though if there's no difference? If they do, there probably is.
This is something that we probably won't see directly confirmed or debunked until launch.
But if they confirm the Steam version works on older versions of Windows, then it can't be MSIX. Only Windows 10 has support for that.
I'm guessing the argument for why they would do it like that is so the Windows Store and Steam versions be the same version, no hassle trying to keep them in check with different packaging.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
One mod I want to see on PC is all the Reach Covenant swapped in for Halo 4s Covenant. The design change of the Convenant from Reach to 4/5 has always been jarring to me. Wonder how extensively we will be able to mod these games 🤔

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
This is something that we probably won't see directly confirmed or debunked until launch.
But if they confirm the Steam version works on older versions of Windows, then it can't be MSIX. Only Windows 10 has support for that.
I'm guessing the argument for why they would do it like that is so the Windows Store and Steam versions be the same version, no hassle trying to keep them in check with different packaging.
no actually msix works on windows 7 as well, they demoed it in one of their presentations. doesn't have all of the same features as on 10 but it still works as a simple installer. its open source, works on just about every platform actually. they basically wanted to build one package format for any kind of platform and app.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Wow, I gotta admit, way more people liked Halo than I imagined. I've been a fan since release, but I didn't realise some people still wanted it that badly on PC. I'm happy about this.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
One mod I want to see on PC is all the Reach Covenant swapped in for Halo 4s Covenant. The design change of the Convenant from Reach to 4/5 has always been jarring to me. Wonder how extensively we will be able to mod these games 🤔

Model swaps are one of the easier things to do. Don't think you'll have to wait too long.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
no actually msix works on windows 7 as well, they demoed it in one of their presentations. doesn't have all of the same features as on 10 but it still works as a simple installer. its open source, works on just about every platform actually. they basically wanted to build one package format for any kind of platform and app.

I thought that's what they were trying with UWP? And I thought MSIX was that container used on Xbox one that they'd recently added support for, that's actually XVC. My bad...

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's my non-educated, overly optimistic speculation that is definitely 100% going to happen:

Halo 5 is a ways off but needs to be out before Infinite, will release at the start of next year. The rest of the games therefore need to be out even earlier.
Reach gets shadow-dropped on Sunday - that's clearly why they're holding out on release details until then.
As soon as the announcement goes live, a bunch of big streamers will have the game already and will be streaming right away.
MCC games will then be released between now and the end of the year, one every couple of months.
Trump gets impeached. Brexit gets cancelled. The world in general decides to chill the fuck out, stop all the bullshit, and relax with some Halo. Guaranteed.
#ReachForTheStars #IfYouBuildIt #CancelArmageddon

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
HALO 3 CUSTOM GAMES FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER AND

O7sB6qH.gif

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that's what they were trying with UWP? And I thought MSIX was that container used on Xbox one that they'd recently added support for, that's actually XVC. My bad...
the msix variant of that is supposedly called msixvc. msix + xvc = msixvc. whether that specifc version is w10 only and has no functionality on w7? who knows.

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Staggered hey? That best not mean I have to wait an extra year from now for them to get to Halo 3. Oh well, I can't complain, been waiting a decade already.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any chance for cross play ? I'd love to play through the campaign of Reach on PC with folks on Xbox.

Can't wait to armorlock salt folks in 2019.

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man reading all the MCC positivity online regarding this announcement and that it's coming to Steam is so awesome

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
People don't realize just how fanatical the community that sprang up around Halo Custom Edition was. We've waited in the shadows...

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
Here's my non-educated, overly optimistic speculation that is definitely 100% going to happen:

Halo 5 is a ways off but needs to be out before Infinite, will release at the start of next year. The rest of the games therefore need to be out even earlier.
Reach gets shadow-dropped on Sunday - that's clearly why they're holding out on release details until then.
As soon as the announcement goes live, a bunch of big streamers will have the game already and will be streaming right away.
MCC games will then be released between now and the end of the year, one every couple of months.
Trump gets impeached. Brexit gets cancelled. The world in general decides to chill the fuck out, stop all the bullshit, and relax with some Halo. Guaranteed.

I like you and your worldview.

This news is such a breath of fresh air. I, for one, am ready to take my first dip in the world of Halo. Is the chronological order of PC MCC releases the recommended one to play these games?

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Wait. So this requires Xbox Live to play on PC? It's great that Microsoft isn't holding one of their games hostage on the Windows Store, but that's a huge (negative) deal, no?

And do they intend to charge full price up front and roll this out over time or charge per game as add-ons? Because if it's the former then woof...

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. So this requires Xbox Live to play on PC? It's great that Microsoft isn't holding one of their games hostage on the Windows Store, but that's a huge (negative) deal, no?

And do they intend to charge full price up front and roll this out over time or charge per game as add-ons? Because if it's the former then woof...
xbox live is free on pc. just requires you to sign in using a free microsoft account.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Just need a Microsoft account. Just like you need a uPlay account to play Ubisoft Steam games.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017

If they wanted a Gold sub, things would be bad, but an account sounds acceptable. Again, details to be seen.

They mentioned a piece by piece purchase scheme, I wouldn't mind having the bundle up on day one though.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
xbox live is free on pc. just requires you to sign in using a free microsoft account.

Ah gotcha. I knew they added the Xbox branding to Windows some time ago but never cared to know what they were actually doing with it.

Still weird that they make you log into a separate account from Steam. I wonder if my old account that I had all the way back from the Live beta is still active.

Silencio

Oct 25, 2017
I love everything I'm reading here. Hopefully at least the first part comes to fruition!
I hope you're right about every single part of this, but especially the bolded.
#ReachForTheStars #IfYouBuildIt #CancelArmageddon
I like you and your worldview.

This news is such a breath of fresh air. I, for one, am ready to take my first dip in the world of Halo. Is the chronological order of PC MCC releases the recommended one to play these games?

We just need to all Believe hard enough and the Chief will pull through for us. #Believe

Edit: I'd also personally say the best way to play would be in the original order of release but the PC order is also fine.

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019

Lol

TyMiles2012

Mar 26, 2018
Ah gotcha. I knew they added the Xbox branding to Windows some time ago but never cared to know what they were actually doing with it.

Still weird that they make you log into a separate account from Steam. I wonder if my old account that I had all the way back from the Live beta is still active.

Likely it's to enable crossplay, manage friends, and sync it's own achievement system. Xbox Live is basically a matchmaking API now. For example, Minecraft requires an XBL login on every platform, including the Nintendo Switch.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Forge World was an ambitious project and it just dawned on me that I'll be able to load into that shit on a PC and build for hours....finally. Halo on pc can't come soon enough. GOD IS REAL