• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Reach had the best character design in the series. 4's was a major step backwards.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Forge maps in 4K60 are going to be incredible

see you on Hematoma

small1.png

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I like you and your worldview.

This news is such a breath of fresh air. I, for one, am ready to take my first dip in the world of Halo. Is the chronological order of PC MCC releases the recommended one to play these games?
I'd personally recommend release order for gameplay reasons (Halo -> Halo 2 -> Halo 3 -> ODST -> Reach -> Halo 4), but this order isn't bad at all. There's nothing in Reach that spoils the later games, and it shows the events that lead directly into the beginning of the first game, so you might have a bit of a better understanding of the state of the story by the time you get to the first game. The PC release order is fine.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I realize it's entirely speculation but anybody with insight have any sense how well anniversary 1 and 2 run on older PCs? Let's say at 1080p.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
I'd personally recommend release order for gameplay reasons (Halo -> Halo 2 -> Halo 3 -> ODST -> Reach -> Halo 4), but this order isn't bad at all. There's nothing in Reach that spoils the later games, and it shows the events that lead directly into the beginning of the first game, so you might have a bit of a better understanding of the state of the story by the time you get to the first game. The PC release order is fine.

Thank you and to Silencio for your replies. I'll try the PC order starting with Reach then :).

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Man, just thinking back, even as a kid I could notice some of the weird graphical quirks of Reach and learned much later on about frame rates and resolution. I really am excited for the resolution boost and 60fps.

Hope it comes out soon.

And I can't wait to see the mods for every Halo. Super exciting.

LapinLopLuna

Oct 29, 2017
Cant wait to play Reach with a proper resolution and framerate. Ready to play some absurd custom games again.
I'm glad they are bringing over the full suite of modes so hopefull that ODST Firefight will also come at some point..
I wonder what the graphics options will be like.. Per game options?

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I'm really not that keen on the Blur cutscenes that Halo 2 Anniversary uses. A huge amount of the dialogue timing is off with pauses between lines often being removed for some reason, and some excellent editing -- such as the transitions -- are lost, and subtle emoting is lost. The new cutscenes are flashier, but they're not as... artistically cohesive as the originals. Not to mention how jarring the switch back and forth between ingame graphics and prerendered cutscenes is.

Of course you can switch back to classic graphics mode to watch the original ingame cutscenes. But it's a shame you couldn't get the updated graphics AND ingame cutscenes.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I'm really not that keen on the Blur cutscenes that Halo 2 Anniversary uses. A huge amount of the dialogue timing is off with pauses between lines often being removed for some reason, and some excellent editing -- such as the transitions -- are lost, and subtle emoting is lost. The new cutscenes are flashier, but they're not as... artistically cohesive as the originals. Not to mention how jarring the switch back and forth between ingame graphics and prerendered cutscenes is.

Of course you can switch back to classic graphics mode to watch the original ingame cutscenes. But it's a shame you couldn't get the updated graphics AND ingame cutscenes.
Very true.
Blur does excellent CGI but figure it is more fitting for Halo Wars or the like than a shooter with rather good graphics as it is.

Weirdly, they were either gonna do the cutscenes in-engine originally, or there's something glitchy going on, because it is possible to get (some?) cutscenes in new graphics but they aren't complete.
See here for an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzzrXrskM7k

EDIT We aren't entirely alone with this opinion, seen it expressed previously and elsewhere.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, have they confirmed they're including Halo Reach's Forge mode?

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Man, why do i keep thinking something didn't have it (Halo 1 and 2 obviously don't, even in their anniversary versions)...
Guess it is down to fact i have never really cared for the mode. Must've ignored its inclusion in MCC.
Halo 2 Anniversary does have theater for multiplayer, alongside 3, 4, and Reach in MCC.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
So what's this about Reach possibly not having extensive Spartan customization? Unlocking and mixing and matching different armor parts and stuff was one of my favorite things about Reach.

Buddha0991

Oct 25, 2017
So what's this about Reach possibly not having extensive Spartan customization? Unlocking and mixing and matching different armor parts and stuff was one of my favorite things about Reach.

none of the master chief collection games has the armor customization they had in the originals, just pick from whole sets like this

halo-master-chief-collection-armor-customization-h4.png

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 2 Anniversary does have theater for multiplayer, alongside 3, 4, and Reach in MCC.
Didn't count Halo 2A MP due to its kind of separate nature.
MCC Doesn't offer full customization for Halo 3 or 4 as it is, so people are worried the same will apply to Reach.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oof, that's boring. Do you play as the same Spartan in all multiplayer modes or what's the reason for this? Really hope this won't apply to Reach too.
Halo 3 and 4 (and Halo 2 A MP) have all separate armor and color selections. Halo CE and 2 only allow for color selection.
As for the reason why this is as it is, most likely the unified UI and rushed production.

I'd hope that if they make Reach have complete original-like armor selection, they'd update the others to do that as well.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Halo 3 and 4 (and Halo 2 A MP) have all separate armor and color selections. Halo CE and 2 only allow for color selection.
As for the reason why this is as it is, most likely the unified UI and rushed production.

I'd hope that if they make Reach have complete original-like armor selection, they'd update the others to do that as well.

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. They seem to be doing everything else right with this, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed, I guess.

e: watching this video I happened to randomly come across on Youtube

and I'm reminded how much I liked the leveling and customization systems and all the challenges and commendations and shit you can do in the game so now I'm crossing my fingers super hard and hoping they won't screw this aspect of the game up

Last edited:

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a Play Anywhere title or will we need to purchase it again on PC?

While they haven't confirmed officially, it's probably going to be the same as Killer Instinct:

* If you buy/use on the Microsoft Store, it's Play Anywhere.

* The Steam version is not Play Anywhere.

Altho the Steam version for this lists an X-Box Live login required, so maybe the Steam version will support Play Anywhere this time around?

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Is this a Play Anywhere title or will we need to purchase it again on PC?

Unconfirmed but I would be shocked if it isn't play anywhere in the MS store considering every other first party game is of late. Unless they try and justify how much work they put into it makes it a separate release almost...that will just make me feel less guilty when I buy on steam.

Altho the Steam version for this lists an X-Box Live login required, so maybe the Steam version will support Play Anywhere this time around?

This is very interesting. Is there a chance they make the client of MCC F2P on steam. Then when you open it with your XBL acc it authenticates if you own the games or not already? If not you would need to purchase them (transaction through steam). Sounds like something I'm not sure Valve would allow.