• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Halo is making its comeback. I think it's clear that this groundwork is being laid to bring it back to the forefront of people's minds before megatoning Infinite at E3 and as a launch title for the Nextbox.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I'd remember Halo Anniversary MP having different tuning, despite running in the Reach engine. Not sure if that's the case
It wasn't the maps directly but Anniversary MP had classic playlists that used modified settings and modified pistol. But if you booted up the map with standard Reach gametype, it didn't have anything special going on.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
While they haven't confirmed officially, it's probably going to be the same as Killer Instinct:

* If you buy/use on the Microsoft Store, it's Play Anywhere.

* The Steam version is not Play Anywhere.

Altho the Steam version for this lists an X-Box Live login required, so maybe the Steam version will support Play Anywhere this time around?
The Steam version likely will not. The XBL login is probably for crossplay and/or save sync.

emphyrian

May 17, 2018
Is this worth getting for some LAN gaming? I've never really played Halo but I recall my friends having a great time bringing their X-box's round each others houses for some multiplayer action.
I ask because a few buddies and I have decided to get back into LAN gaming this year but so far have only decided on Red Alert 2 and our old favourite MOH: Allied Assault.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pity people won't be able to experience the goat Reach UI.

I guess that's why old game armour customisation isn't there in MCC. Maybe one day if they can separate it out in a deep UI option.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
The Inside Xbox video that announced this...

I knew my reading comprehension wasn't that bad. I thought you were saying that Forge and MP would be free updates to the PC version, i.e. the campaign and firefight would come first and the other modes would come later.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Is this worth getting for some LAN gaming? I've never really played Halo but I recall my friends having a great time bringing their X-box's round each others houses for some multiplayer action.
I ask because a few buddies and I have decided to get back into LAN gaming this year but so far have only decided on Red Alert 2 and our old favourite MOH: Allied Assault.

MCC is the perfect game for LAN's, because you get access to 5 Halo MP modes (soon 6 with Halo: Reach). They have also added a LAN option with the big patch that revamped the entire MCC, so it should be even easier now:

7-3-2018_10-13-45_am-9be2502b9b274503ad1095a641570783.png

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Halo is an absolutely fantastic game for LAN parties.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I've pretty much exhausted all thoughts I have on this now until Sunday. But I've 180'd on Reach being the first game to come to PC. It's actually genius. If they dropped halo 3 first I do think a lot of people wouldn't bother playing other titles as much as they came out. This way we get to fully appreciate each title in their own right. I know I wouldn't have touched Reach with a barge pole if this all came out at once (talking MP here, campaign is fantastic).

All I hope if that there is at least a few playlists with no bloom/no sprint. I would imagine a large chunk of PC shooters new to halo will gravitate to those playlists.

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
I hope they put the H1A maps under H1A, with two sections for Classic and Anniversary like H2A, and not under Reach. But I don't think there'd be any benefit to that other than it being a proper representation of the 2011 game...

It has always bugged me that they use the H1A box art for the playlists instead of the 2001 art! :D

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much space this collection will occupy on PC. It's probably around 120GB on X1 as of now, right? They do let you pick and choose what to download, no?

mreastman

Prophet of Truth
Jan 2, 2018
Reach gets shadow-dropped on Sunday - that's clearly why they're holding out on release details until then.

Unfortunately I highly doubt it'll be shadow dropped Sunday. I imagine it'll be just outlining some of the new features and details like cross play and the customs browser. That's about it.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've pretty much exhausted all thoughts I have on this now until Sunday. But I've 180'd on Reach being the first game to come to PC. It's actually genius. If they dropped halo 3 first I do think a lot of people wouldn't bother playing other titles as much as they came out. This way we get to fully appreciate each title in their own right. I know I wouldn't have touched Reach with a barge pole if this all came out at once (talking MP here, campaign is fantastic).

All I hope if that there is at least a few playlists with no bloom/no sprint. I would imagine a large chunk of PC shooters new to halo will gravitate to those playlists.

No bloom with proper mouse aiming is gonna be ridiculous. I dont think that would ever work. You would almost die instantly across the map, it would be CoD levels of TTK.

Thankfully at least it will have Reach DLC maps. I remember the base maps being awful since they just repurposed them from campaign levels to save time.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
No bloom with proper mouse aiming is gonna be ridiculous. I dont think that would ever work. You would almost die instantly across the map, it would be CoD levels of TTK.

Thankfully at least it will have Reach DLC maps. I remember the base maps being awful since they just repurposed them from campaign levels to save time.

This isn't true at all. Kbm doesn't just give everyone perfect aim. It's just a more precise control method. That precision will mean that if you aren't perfectly on target, your shots will miss. It also means developer can remove many of the features that increase the margin of error (aim assist, bullet magnetism, large hit boxes etc) and put the onus on the player to land shots.

Strafing isn't going anywhere, neither is the health/shield system. There will still be players with bad aim, and players who make poor decisions. Players will still miss shots and players will still avoid getting killed.There's no way anyone but the most elite players will be averaging anywhere near COD kill times. You can expect an even wider range of avg kill times compared to what we see on console.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, I don't know how I missed this. Very excited. I only ever played through Halo 3 when it first came out on Xbox 360, so I am excited to play through the other games on PC.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I'm really not that keen on the Blur cutscenes that Halo 2 Anniversary uses. A huge amount of the dialogue timing is off with pauses between lines often being removed for some reason, and some excellent editing -- such as the transitions -- are lost, and subtle emoting is lost. The new cutscenes are flashier, but they're not as... artistically cohesive as the originals. Not to mention how jarring the switch back and forth between ingame graphics and prerendered cutscenes is.

Of course you can switch back to classic graphics mode to watch the original ingame cutscenes. But it's a shame you couldn't get the updated graphics AND ingame cutscenes.

Man I thought I was alone. I don't like them at all. Good quality CGI and...that's it. Really bugs me when I see people like "...With Blur's excellent cutscenes" like...they're not excellent I'm sorry.

Plus I can't be the only one who finds it really jarring to go back and forth. Would have just preferred in engine.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017

Why no sprint? If they remove bloom, I hope they reduce the rate of fire a little bit. But of course it's been a long time since I've played so maybe I'd be fine with it now.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
none of the master chief collection games has the armor customization they had in the originals, just pick from whole sets like this

halo-master-chief-collection-armor-customization-h4.png
Now that Halo has come to PC and Reach is coming with it, fixing this issue has become my number 1 request to 343 Industries

It wasn't as big a deal in Halo 3 because the armor just wasn't detailed other than the helmet, so whatever. It was a bigger deal in Halo 4 since it was detailed, but it was still just MP.

But it's a VERY big deal in Halo Reach because you don't just see your character in MP, but in the campaign. Taking armor customization out of that will be taking out a major feature of the game.

Please, please, PLEASE 343, don't let this happen with Reach.

Stinkles , I don't know what department of 343 you work at, but I'm tagging you in this to hopefully get the message across.

Last edited:

Akoi

Oct 25, 2017
WA
I wonder if you are locked to one xbox live account per steam account. I was thinking because I have this digitally on xbox (that is if its crossbuy) I could use my same account on steam when I want to play on that and use a secondary xbox account on my steam account when I want to play multiplayer together.

Silencio

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately I highly doubt it'll be shadow dropped Sunday. I imagine it'll be just outlining some of the new features and details like cross play and the customs browser. That's about it.

Nah it's happening, Believe.

Seriously though, surely they're announcing the release schedule on Sunday. And if there's more info to come, why not at least tell us the Reach release date at the end of the announcement trailer. Also seems strange not to put the Reach announcement in some sort of trailer, unless maybe that trailer ends with the release date and we will see it on Sunday.
The whole thing seems weird, but I guess we have the leaks to blame for that.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Very hyped for MCC on PC and super hyped for Reach. Reach might be my favourite?

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Now that Halo has come to PC and Reach is coming with it, fixing this issue has become my number 1 request to 343 Industries

It wasn't as big a deal in Halo 3 because the armor just wasn't detailed other than the helmet, so whatever. It was a bigger deal in Halo 4 since it was detailed, but I didn't play Halo 4, so whatever.

But it's a VERY big deal in Halo Reach because you don't just see your character in MP, but in the campaign. Taking armor customization out of that will be taking out a major feature of the game.

Stinkles , I don't know what department of 343 you work at, but I'm tagging you in this to hopefully get the message across.

Rumor has it he's just a poor janitor

2686957-ichoiqdi24yzm.png

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019

It wasn't as big a deal in Halo 3 because the armor just wasn't detailed other than the helmet, so whatever. It was a bigger deal in Halo 4 since it was detailed, but it was still just MP.

Agreed!!! My hope is that they can somehow allow each game to have its full suite of customization options back. The unified menu system is cool and all, but it really shouldn't come at the expense of cutbacks to features the games offer.

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
They just hyped up that episode of Inside Xbox for a week, if they were going to drop big news, it would have been then. They're not going to give dates on Sunday.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Tbh it wouldn't surprise me if they just had Six use his canon appearance, instead of the player-defined look. Interested in what they do, though.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
It would be interesting if current PC pro streamers will move to Halo (Ninja?)

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

I really don't think TTK would be that low. It's a 5shot kill in halo reach and the rate of fire isnt that fast. To be honest high level nbns back on reach with controller would have similar TTK and it worked well. But you are right about cross mapping potentially being too powerful with the DMR.

Why no sprint? If they remove bloom, I hope they reduce the rate of fire a little bit. But of course it's been a long time since I've played so maybe I'd be fine with it now.

Sprint in reach is completely broken in my opinion. Unlike the big fixes they did to it in H5, sprinting meant your shield still recharged while running away, which broke a vital part of what made halo such a unique and skilful shooter - in halo you're meant to get punished for bad positioning, but in reach you can just fly away while recharging shields.

It was also was waaaaay too fast and fucked with the flow of halo, especially as if I remember correctly in reach melees had no bleed through on opponents shields. Meaning if someone shot you three times but you had a tiny bit of shields left, you could simply sprint at the opponent while they shoot and still trade on each other by double melee. Even though they were full shields and you only had a quarter shield. I can't remember if they patched out bleed through

I don't like sprint in h5 either but it's implemented a lot better than reach. God I'm actually not looking forward to reach as much now I'm remembering how bad sprint and melees was in that game.