• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much space this collection will occupy on PC. It's probably around 120GB on X1 as of now, right? They do let you pick and choose what to download, no?
Will they be able to have the intelligent delivery system-thing on Steam? I know they could handle it via DLC, but that can't be done in-game.
They just hyped up that episode of Inside Xbox for a week, if they were going to drop big news, it would have been then. They're not going to give dates on Sunday.
They were intending to drop details during SXSW, and maybe then E3. Then the whole thing was leaked and they felt forced to get the announcement out early to try to reign things in.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
It would be interesting if current PC pro streamers will move to Halo (Ninja?)
They will play the game at release, sure.
Long term? Who knows!

Ninja, Summit and Dr. Disrespect are all huge Halo fans. So expect at least the FPS crowd to jump on it. And if the game is huge on Twitch, anyone else will follow.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked already, but if I own it on Xbox do I need to purchase the PC version separately?

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
They will play the game at release, sure.
Long term? Who knows!

Ninja, Summit and Dr. Disrespect are all huge Halo fans. So expect at least the FPS crowd to jump on it. And if the game is huge on Twitch, anyone else will follow.
Honestly even a weeks worth of exposure from the biggest streamers would do wonders for Halo in general in the long term.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
Sorry if this has been asked already, but if I own it on Xbox do I need to purchase the PC version separately?
Since it will also be on the Microsoft Store I'm sure it will be a Play Anywhere title.

Edit: They haven't confirmed it but with the rollout schedule it could be weird. It might not happen.

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
No idea. I generally don't remember a game changing to Play anywhere after release. Guess we will find out soon hopefully.
Say Reach is released on PC and you buy it, would you get access to the full MCC collection on Xbox? You'd only be paying for a part of a collection, you shouldn't get full access to the Xbox copy. Maybe they could make it so if you get all the games in the collection on PC you can get MCC on Xbox? Or maybe they'll only let you install the games you own on MCC Xbox.

Man that doesn't sound great. I kinda doubt we'll get Play Anywhere.

Silencio

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't mean anything now. All eyes were on Inside Xbox. If they had dates, they would have announced them on Tuesday. Don't get your hopes up.

Unless of course there's a shadow drop coming ;)
My hopes are through the roof, can't wait for the crushing disappointment to bring them back to earth on Sunday

emphyrian

May 17, 2018
Halo is an absolutely fantastic game for LAN parties.
MCC is the perfect game for LAN's, because you get access to 5 Halo MP modes (soon 6 with Halo: Reach). They have also added a LAN option with the big patch that revamped the entire MCC, so it should be even easier now:

7-3-2018_10-13-45_am-9be2502b9b274503ad1095a641570783.png
Awesome, thank you for your replies.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
I think reach was my least favorite at the time, but I do remember playing a lot of it. I just remember jet packs and armor lock being a thing, and cool elite models.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
God I'm actually not looking forward to reach as much now I'm remembering how bad sprint and melees was in that game.
I like all of the Halo multiplayers, but there are a ton of things in Reach that make it the worst.

-Bloom leading to randomness in who wins a fight
-Jetpacks ruining map design, Reflection is an absolutely awful map because of jet packs
-AAs in general are all detrimental to balance and the sandbox, jet pack, armor lock, camo a bubble shield. Really sprint is the most benign thing you can spawn with.
-Maps would be an issue but this is something that will definitely be fixed in MCC since everyone will have the same maps. Less over reliance on gray forge maps, less boardwalk and reflection.
-Oh and stockpile and headhunter were both bad gametypes that showed Bungie ran out of ideas, those should be easily avoidable with match composer though.

Hopefully it's the TU which reduced bloom, added bleed through and nerfed armor lock.

Oct 17, 2018
I think reach was my least favorite at the time, but I do remember playing a lot of it. I just remember jet packs and armor lock being a thing, and cool elite models.
Reach was the start of Halos downfall for me.

I sometimes wonder what the series would have been like if Bungie never added armour abilities. Maybe we could have avoided all the trash spartan abilities and sprint that are in the current games.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't mean anything now. All eyes were on Inside Xbox. If they had dates, they would have announced them on Tuesday. Don't get your hopes up.

It definitely means something. They intended to launch the news at SXSW so to draw more eyes to that stream. The news started leaking so they had to change plans.... but they still want to draw eyes to the SXSW stream.

So, they confirmed the news that had been leaking, but kept the details for Sunday's stream.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
All this talk about Reach sucking is killing my buzz. Is it really that bad, or is it like Dark Souls 2 where it's still really good despite that?
Again, they planned for the announcement to be on the 17th, and the Inside Xbox announcement was done at the last minute to say the important stuff, mainly that it exist, is coming to Steam, and is being taken seriously. They likely have several big reveals yet to come.
Saying it's out that day could always be one of them. Honestly, it's what I'm expecting if they've been working in it for so long now.
Origin does it, dunno how Steam would handle it though.
I haven't heard of any Steam games doing something similar except for Mortal Kombat 10, which handled it poorly.

Last edited:

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I like all of the Halo multiplayers, but there are a ton of things in Reach that make it the worst.

-Bloom leading to randomness in who wins a fight
-Jetpacks ruining map design, Reflection is an absolutely awful map because of jet packs
-AAs in general are all detrimental to balance and the sandbox, jet pack, armor lock, camo a bubble shield. Really sprint is the most benign thing you can spawn with.
-Maps would be an issue but this is something that will definitely be fixed in MCC since everyone will have the same maps. Less over reliance on gray forge maps, less boardwalk and reflection.
-Oh and stockpile and headhunter were both bad gametypes that showed Bungie ran out of ideas, those should be easily avoidable with match composer though.

Hopefully it's the TU which reduced bloom, added bleed through and nerfed armor lock.
It wouldn't be until three years later that we'd learn all that stuff was even in the game to basically act as a proof-of-concert for a lot of Destiny's core gameplay, which kinda sours me even more on it.
All this talk about Reach sucking is killing my buzz. Is it really that bad, or is it like Dark Souls 2 where it's still really good despite that?
Its campaign is good, but its MP at launch was disappointing, tho the MCC version is likely to use the TU version of the MP, which is much better and truer to the spirit of what makes Halo Halo.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Again, they planned for the announcement to be on the 17th, and the Inside Xbox announcement was done at the last minute to say the important stuff, mainly that it exist, is coming to Steam, and is being taken seriously. They likely have several big reveals yet to come.
Saying it's out that day could always be one of them. Honestly, it's what I'm expecting if they've been working in it for so long now.

I haven't heard of any Steam games doing something similar except for Mortal Kombat 10, which handled it poorly.

The campaign is great and among the best. The multiplayer is very good depending on which version 343 uses. The launch version of the game was very unbalanced and featured a very frustrating and random "bloom" system which made the reticle expand wildly the faster you shot. When 343 took over the Halo series, they tuned the bloom to make it manageable and also changed a few things like grenade splash damage which was really severe. So I'm going to assume at the very least they will use the settings of the game that they tuned. There's also a version in which bloom is completely removed which is the best version of the game IMO but I don't know if they will use that. Reach is a very good game and is a good introductory to the series. I think there are better Halo games for sure but Reach isn't bad at all.

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Yeah, bloom and armour lock are two things that shouldn't be anywhere near a Halo game. I can remember me and my (then) pals jumping in with a huge amount of hype and pretty much immediately saying 'what the fuck is this'. I don't expect Reach with no bloom to be in this release, however. The campaign is quality though.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
As a Destiny 2 console player (and PC player), I am envious of Halo players probably getting a non bloom version of their game. It sucks so bad in D2. On PC it doesn't exist and it's fantastic. It sucks too because especially hand cannons in D1 feel great, and then they feel awful in D2.

Seriously don't understand why Bungie insists on it, and they have since Halo Reach days. It's such a shitty feeling mechanic. Like. I don't care if you are trying to balance your game or what the fuck every you're doing. If something feels shitty in your game, don't fucking put it in your game. Halo 1-ODST were so great in that nothing felt shitty about their moment to moment gameplay. You could argue some things felt better or worse or better, but nothing was outright as infuriating as bloom in Reach.

I believe 343 were the ones who removed it when they took over reach, and I promise this is not a slight or anything when I say it's one of the best things they've done to Halo.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Reach really threw many preestablished principles out of the window.

Instead of building on the franchises gameplay loop of anticipating the opponents moves based on weapon spawn locations and everyone having the same characteristics- Bungie basically threw that out of the window by introducing a bunch of mechanics that randomized encounters.

Loadouts meant you could no longer anticipate what weapons your enemies were bringing to the fight nor what special abilities they would possess. Bloom meant that 1v1 shootouts were often determined by probabilities and luck rather than skill. And the old principles of map design didn't apply because Bungie needed to build them to account for all the abilities players could choose to use. The methodical, push and pull nature of the combat was gone.

I don't know if it's fair to say Reach sucked. Perhaps if it was a new IP instead of a Halo game, it would have still gotten a ton of appreciation- the campaign was good, the graphics and are were great, the MP suite was huge, Forge was awesome, customization was robust- it had a lot going for it. But due to the mechanical changes, it certainly didn't offer the basics of what some Halo fans (myself included) expected out of a Halo game. Imo, it was an unbalanced shitshow at launch, clearly a test for Destiny PvP, which is also an absolute shitshow.

It got better after title updates, but 343 was insistent on preserving each version of the settings in different playlists rather than settling on one - so people are anxious about what they'll decide this time around.

IMO they should use the Zero Bloom No Sprint settings for competitive matchmaking, and leave all the whacky stuff let social playlists and custom games.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's very obvious Reach was Bungie experimenting with some new ideas like Destiny. They were already getting tired of Halo.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Reach definitely didn't suck. It offered (and still offers) the most complete and robust suite of gameplay offerings out of the box of all Halo games released to date.

It had a great campaign which, admittedly, played a little fast and loose with established canon just to tell a story that tied in with Halo: CE. It had some excellent new weapons and vehicles.

It had a very functional Forge mode and some great maps to Forge on. It had an infinitely customizable Firefight mode. It featured saved films across every part of the game, allowing you to watch, record and screenshot everything from Campaign to Forge.

Its multiplayer mode had some great maps and some unique gametypes. Invasion, Headhunter, Race, to name a few. Hell, you could even play Chess if you wanted to.

Agreed, Armor Abilities and Bloom added an undesirable element to MP matches, but if you're simply playing campaign, doing a marathon session of Firefight against Elite Zealots with Sniper Rifles, or simply want to shoot up your buddies in some maps you built yourself, Reach is still pretty amazing.

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Did Reach suck? Well, the short answer is no, but I might have a unique perspective on the matter.

My first gaming console was the xbox and the first game I fell in love with was Ninja Gaiden. At the time, I wasn't into first person shooters at all, hating that I never got to see my character. I was so disinterested that, while I do remember watching some friends play Halo, I don't think I ever actually even bought Halo 1 or 2 myself. I just played other games on it. Then, when the 360 came out, I got that and when Halo 3 was launched, I purchased it, and I played through it, and I wasn't impressed and just forgot about it. For like a year, I didn't play it again until one day, for reasons I didn't know, I played it again, and somehow stuff just clicked and I liked it a lot. I was mostly a campaign guy, dabbling in some BTB in multiplayer and that's it, but I became a big Halo fan and went back and played the old ones.

I mention all this because I was never around in the heyday of Halo's MP craze, of either 2 or 3. By the time I started playing Halo 3 MP at all, CoD4 was released and you know how that story goes. So Halo Reach was the only actual Halo game that I was around to get hyped for before the launch, and after, so I was able to see all criticism at the time.

For the campaign, Reach is good, but not as good as Halo 3. The best word to describe it is consistent. The other games have their highs and lows, but Reach has no lows. It's all around solid campaign. It doesn't reach the heights of Halo 3, but having a consistent package is it's own reward. It also has firefight, which is a fun mode to goof off. As for the MP, the bloom complaints were something I have to concede the point of, but the simple truth is that I was too much of a scrub to have it affect me too much. I'd lose half my fights to factors I don't understand either way. I have no defense for armor lock however, and I didn't like a lot of the maps compared to Halo 3. However, both these issues were worked on after Bungie gave up the franchise to 343, though I was gone by the time that happened, having moved onto other games.

One thing I'm really looking forward to playing again, and I don't think this has returned in other modes, is Invasion. 2 sides, one playing Spartans, the other playing Elites, and the Spartans have to attack and take control of 3 junction points on a huge scale map. It's just this cool, epic MP game mode that I really enjoyed playing when Reach was out.

So as a Halo fan, but not as much of a Halo MP fan, Reach satisfied, and where it failed, I tend to give it something of a pass because it was trying something new, you know? Bloom and Armor lock may have been mistakes, but they were trying something new. I'm looking forward to returning to this title as soon as I can.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Last edited:

n00bp

Oct 28, 2017
I'm excited! Loved the first Halo back in the day but never got around to playing the rest. Having this on my Steam account will rectify that :)

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Any word on splitscreen support?

This would make it instantly one of the best couch games on PC of all time

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Has there been any announcement on enhancements for Reach?

Will it receive the Halo 2 treatment and get new cutscenes or will it just be in 4K?

Green

Oct 27, 2017