• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
I reckon Halo 4 drops about three months before Infinite which would probably be around E3 next year. Start with Reach this summer and you're probably talking a year between releases.

If they are smart that's what they should do, and I know 343i are clever cookies.
what they should actually do is end MCC with Halo 5 being added 4-5 months before the release of Infinite so not only is the full package on console but also on PC and both platforms are ready to go for the next chapter in the saga the moment it drops.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
There is a possibility tho the pc version is gonna be locked to 60 also. Depends on the engine limitations.

Yeah, not sure what they actually mean with adjustable framerate here:

"We are laying the groundwork for PC native features such as excellent mouse and keyboard controls, support for multiple resolutions and aspect ratios, field-of-view sliders, and adjustable framerates, to name but a few. And yes, there will be support for Xbox gamepads and other PC controllers." -Source

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Invasion on Spire was peak Halo btb and nobody can argue against that. However, Extraction from Halo 4 was a lot of fun, a shame that a lot of people don't really remember it. It played excellently on the DLC maps, like Shatter.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I really just want CE. Having 3 and reach would be good too. Actually, I'd buy ODST, too lol. Yah im in. Classic games!

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
How was Halo 4? It's the only one I didn't play in that line up.
I am talking strictly about the campaign.
The Dialogues between Chief and Cortana are great.
The gameplay too actually (Maybe too many quicktime events near the end)
But the story itself throws so many weird game-specific terms around that its really hard to follow what is even going on.
Maybe its better if you read the novels or are a hardcore Halo lore guy.
I still liked the game but 1 - 3 had much simpler plots and were better for it.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
There is a possibility tho the pc version is gonna be locked to 60 also. Depends on the engine limitations.
120+ FPS would be nice, but it's exclusion would be understandable, being ports of such scattershot code and all. Hopefully they can at least add interpolation like Catherine has.
But then again they did have to fix this issue when going from 30 to 60 for the original MCC so it's possibly going to be an easy feature to implement.
They might have changed the FPS cap, but that doesn't mean they could make it run uncapped. FF XII has this on PC, there's the option to play at 60 FPS, but the game speed is still locked to framerate. They just changed the target framerate.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
To correct: the Cortana and chief stuff is great, but the overarching story was mostly done through like two cutscenes and the terminals and is generally meh
I totally agree. Any campaign that has a literal 10 minute info dump does not have a good story and I'm baffled as to why people think it's well done. Also, the gameplay design is terrible, with the most lineral missions in the series, the least interesting group of enemies, and almost every objective is just "go here and smash this button."

I think we've reached this point where the backlash to the H5 campaign is so severe that it makes H4 looks better in comparison, but it's not good.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I totally agree. Any campaign that has a literal 10 minute info dump does not have a good story and I'm baffled as to why people think it's well done. Also, the gameplay design is terrible, with the most lineral missions in the series, the least interesting group of enemies, and almost every objective is just "go here and smash this button."

I think we've reached this point where the backlash to the H5 campaign is so severe that it makes H4 looks better in comparison, but it's not good.

Nah, Halo 4 was great before Halo 5 dropped. Although I have come to appreciate the Promethean combat in 4 much more after they butchered it in 5.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
MP is really mediocre due to trying to get that CoD money, Spartan Ops is a cool concept executed poorly, and SP is a mixed bag. On one hand, the overall story is so entwined with the expanded universe that you need to read the books to understand it and the level design is often overly linear and more focused on CoD-style set pieces than the more open arenas of the former campaigns, but on the other hand the stuff between Chief and Cortana is really good and the penultimate mission is one of the best in the entire series.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Still extremely excited about this announcement, but it has rapidly turned into impatient irritation n that there's still no firm release date.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Didn't they mention unlocked frame rates?
they say "adjustable framerates" in the Waypoint post. Could be totally unlocked, could also just mean a few presets(like 30/60/120/144) or even unlocked but with an arbitrary cap(like say, 150FPS or something). As long as we get something past 60FPS I'll be content tbh

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
MP is really mediocre due to trying to get that CoD money, Spartan Ops is a cool concept executed poorly, and SP is a mixed bag. On one hand, the overall story is so entwined with the expanded universe that you need to read the books to understand it and the level design is often overly linear and more focused on CoD-style set pieces than the more open arenas of the former campaigns, but on the other hand the stuff between Chief and Cortana is really good and the penultimate mission is one of the best in the entire series.
Worth pointing out that they've since patched much of the COD-like aspects out of the MP. I've had some decent fun with Halo 4 MCC.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With this happening and in addiiton to Reach I am wondering if the following will happen...

• Expanded/fixed armor customization
  • Terminals being added into the game properly rather than forced to load the abandoned Halo Channel app
  • All of the original games End Credits being added in as the Reach Ending \credits is an important cinematic.

I guess time will tell.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
they say "adjustable framerates" in the Waypoint post. Could be totally unlocked, could also just mean a few presets(like 30/60/120/144) or even unlocked but with an arbitrary cap(like say, 150FPS or something). As long as we get something past 60FPS I'll be content tbh
It would be really nice to get clarification on that. FPS is one genre where I'd rather have >60 FPS. (...)

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
With this happening and in addiiton to Reach I am wondering if the following will happen...

• Expanded/fixed armor customization
  • Terminals being added into the game properly rather than forced to load the abandoned Halo Channel app
  • All of the original games End Credits being added in as the Reach Ending \credits is an important cinematic.

I guess time will tell.
I'd love to be able to open a terminal and watch a video file play natively on my PC. That said, it'd probably result in a huge install size if streaming weren't made optional.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
campaign was great. The relationship between Cortana and Chief at its best.

The multiplayer was just ok tho. I wouldnt say its bad but compared to Reach or 3 which are the games previously it doesn't come close to that high.
100% worth a run, I plan on doing that as I make a run thru all the games before Infinite releases.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
The (object) motion blur should be good with 60FPS though as it was tied to FPS, wasn't it? Unless they mean the TAA, ofc.
As far as I can tell, Reach doesn't have object motion blur. Digital Foundry thought otherwise in their analysis, but I'm not sure what Richard was looking at.

There are a few case-specific forms of object motion blur, like how rain particles get geometrically stretched in their true motion direction so that they look like streaks.

But by and large the game's motion blur seems to base pixel velocity on just camera movement and depth. That's why at the start of the game, when you're about to be dropped off by a Falcon, the other Falcon sometimes looks blurred even when it's moving at about the same speed and direction as you are.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Curious to know if Reach had animations designed around 30fps and whether they will translate well to 60fps. I remember there were lower animation frames for some distant objects like enemies, hopefully they're smoother as well.

Nov 8, 2017
This is the best summation of my feelings about the 343 games I've seen in this thread. 343 has proven to me that they're passionate about the series, care deeply about it, and are capable of doing great things, but they just need to pull everything off at one time in one game with a good writer.

I'm particularly happy that you made the distinction that Halo 4's campaign had good core gameplay but mediocre level design. A lot of people write off the gameplay in 4 altogether, but it's really really fun during specific set pieces.

Even the music has its moment, it's a shame so many hated it just because it's written by another composer.
343 obviously cares about the series but has had some missteps so far, but they are doing all the right things recently and I'm confident they can turn it around with Infinite.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
This video popped up in my feed. I saw it a long while ago, but the news about Reach must have put it back into my feed, so here it is for everyone who hasn't seen it.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I'm particularly happy that you made the distinction that Halo 4's campaign had good core gameplay but mediocre level design. A lot of people write off the gameplay in 4 altogether, but it's really really fun during specific set pieces.
343i games far and away have better gunplay than the Bungie Halos. 2 was Bungie's best gunplay and 3 and Reach were both downhill from that.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand this criticism. You definitely DONT need to read the books to understand the fucking story of halo 4.