• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
what's the chances that once they release Halo 4 they will start working on bring 5 to MCC?

it makes no sense to bring all these games to PC include infinite and not do 5.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I totally agree. Any campaign that has a literal 10 minute info dump does not have a good story and I'm baffled as to why people think it's well done. Also, the gameplay design is terrible, with the most lineral missions in the series, the least interesting group of enemies, and almost every objective is just "go here and smash this button."

I think we've reached this point where the backlash to the H5 campaign is so severe that it makes H4 looks better in comparison, but it's not good.

Completely agree. Halo 4's campaign was so boring it took me forever to finish. That never happens to me. In any game. Ever.

I'd argue Halo 5 played better, but it's story was so bad it just took everyone by surprise lol. There are some great, fun sections in Halo 5. Halo 4 has very few. So linear, so samey, so slow. Ugh.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Definitely one of the best experiences in gaming history.

Such great level design, music, and even A.I for its time and Microsoft should be freaking celebrated for this epic announcement.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
343i games far and away have better gunplay than the Bungie Halos. 2 was Bungie's best gunplay and 3 and Reach were both downhill from that.

I'd say 343i contribution to gunplay has also been downhill since they fixed Reach.

With Halo 4 they just bumped up the bullet magnetism on everything and introduced a bunch of redundant weapons.

With Halo 5 they just made automatics and every map pickup OP, then half a year later nerfed nearly the entire sandbox into uselessness. They also shipped with weird acceleration curves a slow aim big.

343 era Reach is up there with CE and 2, though

I'll never understand this criticism. You definitely DONT need to read the books to understand the fucking story of halo 4.

You can understand the story well enough w/o reading the books- Big, old, evil guy wants to kill all humans because of something Humanity did the last time they were a technologically advanced space faring species that rivaled the Forerunners. Chief and Cortana want to stop him.

But if you had no prior knowledge about Ancient Humanity and the Human-Forerunner war, then H4 does an inadequate job presenting that history and using it to making the Didact an interesting villain. Also, they relied on Deus Ex Machina for plot resolution. Oh, and everything I just mentioned happens in a single cutscene.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and introduced a bunch of redundant weapons.
Weapon redundancies existed already though, after Halo 2 anyway (and even it had some), though this does depend on how strictly weapons are classed. Halo 3 has the Spiker, AR, SMG and Plasma Rifle, all arguably filling identical role. The BR and Carbine share a role. The Beam Rifle and Sniper Rifle are nigh-identical. Reach does the same, though it did admirably try to differentiate some weapons (eg the Sniper vs Focus Rifle). EDIT Reach had issues with counterparts being worse for most part though. The Needle Rifle was arguably worse than the DMR as general purpose weapon, and the Plasma Repeater was pretty bad compared to the AR.
Granted, Halo 4 did add even more weapons, but what is few more on top of already large sandbox? Not much, and 343i also tried to add unique characteristics to the new weapons at least. Admittedly balancing wasn't quite there... but then it is not like Bungie ever got that nailed down either. It feels like neither even tried at times, to be honest.

Figure redundant weapons are less problematic than how and where they are used. A map should pick only some weapons of the sandbox, and another similar map could pick other weapons, leading it to play differently. Would be interesting to have maps where the standard utility weapon isn't the BR but the Carbine or Needle Rifle, and instead of Shotguns there'd be Boltshots, or any other such unusual combos. "Mix things up a little".
And occasionally some weapons should stay in the campaign (looking at the Fuel Rod Cannon especially here, though the Promethean power weapons are as big offenders) and custom games.

Last edited:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand this criticism. You definitely DONT need to read the books to understand the fucking story of halo 4.

Yeah agreed. It's simple enough without the terminals and relying on the cut scenes, you can get a fuller picture from the in-game terminals, and you get an optional comprehensive back story from the books.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
what's the chances that once they release Halo 4 they will start working on bring 5 to MCC?

it makes no sense to bring all these games to PC include infinite and not do 5.

You're not missing much, don't worry.

Besides, you can already play Halo 5 Forge and Custom Games on PC.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
5's weapon balance is far better than any previous game: almost every gun has an actual use.

And I will always say the campaign is sorely underrated in terms of its levels. Some great stuff in there.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
Wait am I going to have to pay for Xbox Live to play online? Not sure if they've mentioned anything about that yet.

Hoping not since it's running via Steam.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Is it recommendable to play Halo Reach as the first game? Or does it work better if you already played the original trilogy, or parts of it?

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Is it recommendable to play Halo Reach as the first game? Or does it work better if you already played the original trilogy, or parts of it?

It doesn't really make a difference, since Reach is it's own thing and has minimal ties to CE. It also depends on your platform. If you are on PC, then just follow the staggered release and start with Reach. If you are on console, then just play through every game in the MCC until Reach actually releases.

---

For those that are curious. Here is the chronological order: Reach -> CE -> 2 -> ODST* -> 3* -> 4.

*For some reason, 343i decided to swap 3 and ODST in their blog post (hopefully because they need more time to add ODST Firefight), but ODST is also very self contained and not needed to understand the jump from 2 to 3. Still a very good game, so definitely play through it once it releases.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
As far as I can tell, Reach doesn't have object motion blur. Digital Foundry thought otherwise in their analysis, but I'm not sure what Richard was looking at.

There are a few case-specific forms of object motion blur, like how rain particles get geometrically stretched in their true motion direction so that they look like streaks.

But by and large the game's motion blur seems to base pixel velocity on just camera movement and depth. That's why at the start of the game, when you're about to be dropped off by a Falcon, the other Falcon sometimes looks blurred even when it's moving at about the same speed and direction as you are.
Yeah, I would have said otherwise back in the day :D

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Weapon redundancies existed already though, after Halo 2 anyway (and even it had some), though this does depend on how strictly weapons are classed. Halo 3 has the Spiker, AR, SMG and Plasma Rifle, all arguably filling identical role. The BR and Carbine share a role. The Beam Rifle and Sniper Rifle are nigh-identical. Reach does the same, though it did admirably try to differentiate some weapons (eg the Sniper vs Focus Rifle). EDIT Reach had issues with counterparts being worse for most part though. The Needle Rifle was arguably worse than the DMR as general purpose weapon, and the Plasma Repeater was pretty bad compared to the AR.
Granted, Halo 4 did add even more weapons, but what is few more on top of already large sandbox? Not much, and 343i also tried to add unique characteristics to the new weapons at least. Admittedly balancing wasn't quite there... but then it is not like Bungie ever got that nailed down either. It feels like neither even tried at times, to be honest.

Figure redundant weapons are less problematic than how and where they are used. A map should pick only some weapons of the sandbox, and another similar map could pick other weapons, leading it to play differently. Would be interesting to have maps where the standard utility weapon isn't the BR but the Carbine or Needle Rifle, and instead of Shotguns there'd be Boltshots, or any other such unusual combos. "Mix things up a little".
And occasionally some weapons should stay in the campaign (looking at the Fuel Rod Cannon especially here, though the Promethean power weapons are as big offenders) and custom games.

So, redundant weapons aren't inherently problematic, but they don't bring anything interesting to the gunplay dynamics.

Actually, I think H4 Boltshot is the only weapon that 343 added that actually had potential to bring an interesting twist as a pickup - but we know they squandered that by making it a loadout weapon.

I'm less interesting in "mixing things up" by replacing stalwarts with items that are used and defended against in almost identical fashion. I want guns that are unique additions to the sandbox - that change the play players think and move.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Funny. My last playthrough on Legendary hasn't left me with a good opinion of Reach. It's now my second-least favorite in the entire series after Halo 4. I'm still looking forward to this for some reason, probably the prospect of being able to mod a non-Gearboxed or Vista'd Halo game for once lol

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm sure this has been asked and answered but is this included on gamepass for pc?

We have no idea yet. We've had late PC ports on the Microsoft Store like Sunset Overdrive and they were not Play Anywhere, thus not part of the Game Pass subscription. Never seen a game add Play Anywhere post launch.

But this case is unique in every way. So who knows.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
Will.
This.
Have.
Splitscreen.
Option.??

I crave that couch 4v4 Halo goodness of my teenage years.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The return of snaxorz. Remember Frankie posting the Halo blog before 2 came out. One was dedicated exclusively to snacks. lol

What will you all be eating when you boot up Reach for teh first tiem on PC.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
The return of snaxorz. Remember Frankie posting the Halo blog before 2 came out. One was dedicated exclusively to snacks. lol

What will you all be eating when you boot up Reach for teh first tiem on PC.
dietpepsi
15 minutes ago

No, seriously, caffeine is likely, probably mixed with sugar rather than aspartame though. Not much of a snack person while playing games alone and I don't expect anyone to come around.

BearlyDare

Oct 27, 2017
We have no idea yet. We've had late PC ports on the Microsoft Store like Sunset Overdrive and they were not Play Anywhere, thus not part of the Game Pass subscription. Never seen a game add Play Anywhere post launch.

I believe Killer Instinct, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, and Ark added Play Anywhere when they became available on the Windows store. I'm not aware of when Ark was added to Play Anywhere versus when it became available with game pass. Based on Microsoft's moves lately, I would hope the MCC shows up as Play Anywhere when it launches but I won't be surprised if it doesn't. (Based on what happened with Sunset Overdrive)

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Does anyone know the base FoV for CE and 2? I actually really like it and want to set the other games to it when they finally come out.

Off topic but - despite how redundant it is - I've always loved the Spiker. One of my favorite weapons in the entire series, it just has a cool design and feels great to use despite lacking some of the power of its counterparts, especially in Reach.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
It would be great to get some kind of timeline this weekend. I know they probably won't get too specific, but some info beyond "Hey, this is coming to Steam sometime" would be nice.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017

Gamepass is on the little infographic from Microsoft in the OP...