• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
They said that it's up to us to buy each game separately or wait until the last game releases and buy it all together. I'm worried as to whether this means that we won't be able to pre-purchase the whole thing as soon as Reach releases, which is what I want to do. I asked for clarification, feel free to upvote my comment so that they see it if you want (hope this isn't against ERA rules)

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Huh?
Implementing split screen on PC for multiple controllers is the exact same thing as implementing split screen on console for multiple controllers.

No one expects multiple mouse/kb support for split screen.

Er... it's not really the same.

You always have to make your own solution because things aren't profiled on PC like on a console... handling multiple controller profiles both for interface and bindings. Then there's always the compatibility issue where some controllers fight to be the priority controller... steam controller being a good example for this.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
b338ce874f41fe8c1d62d3dd332257da.png
They're really flying by the seat of their pants here... There's a lot of questions being answered with "We're aware of this but we don't have anything definitive yet." It makes it sound like development started relatively recently.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
So talking to the i01 guys. Seems like pretty much everyone in the modding community and fan game scene is involved in some way. 3 people from i01 and 3 people from ED are helping

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Er... it's not really the same.

You always have to make your own solution because things aren't profiled on PC like on a console... handling multiple controller profiles both for interface and bindings. Then there's always the compatibility issue where some controllers fight to be the priority controller... steam controller being a good example for this.
Come on, that really shouldn't be an excuse for a large development team. 2 person indie studios routinely manage to implement local multiplayer in their games on PC.

Of course it's true that MS completely failed to provide a PC-focused gaming input API for decades, but it's not that onerous to work with what's there. Especially as long as we are only talking about <= 4 players.

Oct 17, 2018
This AMA is ok but it seems like the majority of their answers are just "we'll have more closer to launch". Kinda gets a bit boring after a while.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know how streaming a taking footage of the game is handled? Maybe not the first flight its allowed but ones it gets bigger it probably opens up.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I guess modders would have more free time to do that compared to 343, especially if they are looking into mod support. It would be cool to see what modders can do.

It's going to take a while (Ninja Edit: maybe not if they already working together like the post below suggests), because modders will have to figure out several systems like AI scripts/pathing and etc., but custom PvE scenarios and/or missions should be possible afterwards.

Expect to see a lot of mindblowing stuff, because some modders are freaking insane with their content. See Halo CE SPV3 for example.

So talking to the i01 guys. Seems like pretty much everyone in the modding community and fan game scene is involved in some way. 3 people from i01 and 3 people from ED are helping

Fucking awesome, because that's pretty much what they told us ever since the ED shutdown. Working together with the "broader" modding community.

kooj

Jan 19, 2019
Just let those people ask for a W10 or Steam code. Like Quantum Break. Think most will be fine with that. :)
Steam key for CE through 4, Reach was never part of the original deal.

Installed Custom Edition earlier today, I need MCC PC in my veins ASAP. From the sounds of it flights might be starting by April.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking awesome, because that's pretty much what they told us ever since the ED shutdown. Working together with the "broader" modding community.
Yeah every time Bonnie Ross make a public statement they follow through.

-All Halos will have a beta
-Splitscreen in every future Halo
-Working on bringing classic Halo experience to PC and working along side the modding community.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i probably would've just bought the all the titles at once even though they're releasing staggered. i guess by not offering the full package until they're all out takes some of the pressure off though.

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
No plans for Halo 5... it sounds like MCC PC's staggered releases and Infinite's launch are going to overlap, and as well, PC players will be missing a chunk of the story.

Maybe if Infinite is like Sea of Thieves, and doesn't have much to it at launch, it'll work out. But how is Infinite going to have the space to be its own thing?

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Do we know how streaming a taking footage of the game is handled? Maybe not the first flight its allowed but ones it gets bigger it probably opens up.

I hope they keep it under wraps until it's widely accessib
No plans for Halo 5... it sounds like MCC PC's staggered releases and Infinite's launch are going to overlap, and as well, PC players will be missing a chunk of the story.

Maybe if Infinite is like Sea of Thieves, and doesn't have much to it at launch, it'll work out. But how is Infinite going to have the space to be its own thing?

I think Infinite is going to be vastly different and more ambitious. It's really not going to struggle to differentiate itself from games from 5 - 15 years ago.

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
I think Infinite is going to be vastly different and more ambitious. It's really not going to struggle to differentiate itself from games from 5 - 15 years ago.
But on PC, it's looking like Halo 4, a game new to PC, could be out after Infinite.

Though they did say they're working on Reach and CE at the same time, so maybe they'll be out by Autumn next year.

I just hope they can shed all the MCC baggage with enough time to spare that Infinite gets its due.

And it's barmy to me that the current plan is *not* to have PC players all caught up on the story, not to have parity with console, before Infinite. It's like falling at the last hurdle.

More info from the devs

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
  • Mix and Match Armor, linked to new progression system, no MTX (Reach seems to be the only one that supports mix match armor right now)
  • Uncapped FPS for each game is the plan
  • Game release date is dependent on how well the flights go
  • No 24/7 custom dedicated servers for the custom browser, this is an area of discussion though!
  • No Mod support at launch, working with the modding community, i01 team and the ED team to explore "official" modding options
  • Anti-cheat is a big focus for launch
  • Until all games are out it will be a buy one by one situation (no season pass model either)
  • Will support Windows 7 and 10, Windows 8 support is being looked at (Wonder if this means it can run on Photon?)
  • No ETA on the first flight, currently building the first audience for the flight and dev team is working on the UI/controls
  • Forge and Theater will NOT be out at launch, are both getting extra work for PC (should be around Halo 3/H4 release / potential rework of Forge?)
  • ODST Firefight is still being evaluated
  • More anti-cheat news will be talked about later
  • FoV and FPS limits will be a title by title basis
  • MCC progression will carry over from console version, no 360 progress will
  • MCC saves will NOT carry over between console and PC
  • Achievements, Forged Maps, Game Variants and stats will be sync'd
  • 343 is currently testing 144hz+ frame rates, ordered 240hz monitor to test with.
  • Wants to support a wide variety of hardware, spec details coming soon. Min specs to be determined via flighting
  • Steam/WinStore users can play together
  • Xbox crossplay is top of mind and actively being investigated right now
  • They are looking at what can be supported in regards to splitscreen/local co-op for PC users
  • They are looking into getting mix and match armor sets in for Halo 3
  • No info on pricing yet, focus is on getting the flight out as soon as possible
  • Centered Crosshairs are being investigated
  • They will talk about how terminal videos will work later
  • Still exploring options regarding play anywhere and letting Xbox owners who have a copy also enjoy it on PC
  • Aspect ratios that are supported are 21:9, 16:9, 16:10, 3:2 and 4:3
  • Reach will use the same dedicated servers for Match Making as the rest of MCC
  • No current plans to bring Halo 5 over
  • They want to get this package out to PC gamers asap but only once it's ready
  • No info on playlist, will be looking at community feedback on settings for things like bloom and Armor Lock (Vanilla, TU, CEA)
  • Halo Custom Edition Content is on their list and is being actively explored (they had map importing working to some extent last year)
  • They want to get this right so they don't upset consumers

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
Ske7ch said this:
Mid mission saves will be unique to each platform and cannot be shared.
I think that it will still show the missions you've completed. As everything is unlocked from the off, I think it's really just checkpoints that don't carry across.

I suppose that must be why they can't say it's Play Anywhere.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Had to try Halo 3 (MCC) on an Xbox because of these news and whoo boy did I not have a good time lol. I think I'm permanently over FPS games with a controller by now, and I feel like I'm starting to remember why I did like Reach more.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017

I assume this has to do with Windows not currently supporting sign in of two accounts at once on one machine (someone correct me if I'm wrong there).

Local co-op with multiple accounts feels like the main feature that consoles have over PC at this point, and I'm annoyed that none of the PC platforms seem to have any interest in tackling it (except google now? but their solution is brute forced).

membran

Oct 27, 2017
I assume this has to do with Windows not currently supporting sign in of two accounts at once on one machine (someone correct me if I'm wrong there).

Local co-op with multiple accounts feels like the main feature that consoles have over PC at this point, and I'm annoyed that none of the PC platforms seem to have any interest in tackling it (except google now? but their solution is brute forced).

Well, there's Gears of War 4 split screen campaign coop (Win 10 Store version) that uses the old "Gamertag + Gamertag (1)" approach, if I recall correctly. I played it in local split screen a couple of weeks ago on my PC.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't understand why they can't at least do the Gears of War 4 approach. Split screen is a really important feature to me. :(. I really hope it is implemented.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I find it difficult to complain about any missing features, pulling off the MCC seems like such an insane endeavour.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I asked about Terminals and end credits being added properly into the collection. With Halo 1 the after credits scene is entirely missing and in regards to Reach the end credits is literally an important cinematic.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
  • Mix and Match Armor, linked to new progression system, no MTX (Reach seems to be the only one that supports mix match armor right now)
  • Uncapped FPS for each game is the plan
  • Game release date is dependent on how well the flights go
  • No 24/7 custom dedicated servers for the custom browser, this is an area of discussion though!
  • No Mod support at launch, working with the modding community, i01 team and the ED team to explore "official" modding options
  • Anti-cheat is a big focus for launch
  • Until all games are out it will be a buy one by one situation (no season pass model either)
  • Will support Windows 7 and 10, Windows 8 support is being looked at (Wonder if this means it can run on Photon?)
  • No ETA on the first flight, currently building the first audience for the flight and dev team is working on the UI/controls
  • Forge and Theater will NOT be out at launch, are both getting extra work for PC (should be around Halo 3/H4 release / potential rework of Forge?)
  • ODST Firefight is still being evaluated
  • More anti-cheat news will be talked about later
  • FoV and FPS limits will be a title by title basis
  • Achievements, Forged Maps, Game Variants and stats will be sync'd
  • 343 is currently testing 144hz+ frame rates, ordered 240hz monitor to test with.
  • Wants to support a wide variety of hardware, spec details coming soon. Min specs to be determined via flighting
  • Steam/WinStore users can play together
  • Xbox crossplay is top of mind and actively being investigated right now
  • They are looking at what can be supported in regards to splitscreen/local co-op for PC users
  • They are looking into getting mix and match armor sets in for Halo 3
  • No info on pricing yet, focus is on getting the flight out as soon as possible
  • Centered Crosshairs are being investigated
  • They will talk about how terminal videos will work later
  • Still exploring options regarding play anywhere and letting Xbox owners who have a copy also enjoy it on PC
  • Aspect ratios that are supported are 21:9, 16:9, 16:10, 3:2 and 4:3
  • Reach will use the same dedicated servers for Match Making as the rest of MCC
  • No current plans to bring Halo 5 over
  • They want to get this package out to PC gamers asap but only once it's ready
  • No info on playlist, will be looking at community feedback on settings for things like bloom and Armor Lock (Vanilla, TU, CEA)
  • Halo Custom Edition Content is on their list and is being actively explored (they had map importing working to some extent last year)
  • They want to get this right so they don't upset consumers

AlexFlame116
The post above should be threadmarked or added to the OP