• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I tried this and it looked even worse. I cant tell if its a frame pacing issue or microstuttering or what. But I fired up a few other games to make sure it wasn't my PC at fault and those games were all buttery smooth.
The game at 60 fps and 60 hz in my testing works like it should - no problems there. Make sure the game is utilising 60 hz as well.

It could be a subjective thing you are experiencing that is not there.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Last question before I decide... is the rest of the MCC launching all together on PC or piece by piece, and is there a release date yet?

If it's not for a month or so I might just keep Reach and add the full price to next month's budget...

Yeah, I assume so. I don't see a reason why you shouldn't be able to play Reach if you refund it and get the full collection.
Thanks.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Last question before I decide... is the rest of the MCC launching all together on PC or piece by piece, and is there a release date yet?

If it's not for a month or so I might just keep Reach and add the full price to next month's budget...

Thanks.

One extra wrinkle. It's going to be cheaper to get the collection than buying the games one by one. On my end, it's €10 cheaper — presuming each game will be priced €10, like Reach.

I don't believe they've given a release schedule, but the going assumption is that the rest will come out one by one over the course of 2020. When CE is gonna come out, I don't know. I think I read March somewhere, but that may well have been speculation.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I didn't. I assumed it was the default since it's the "first" option for that setting.
Nah, it's weird. It is the one furthest to the left, but for me at least, it defaulted to 60. I guess they intend to have unlocked be the default once its issues are ironed out, so they went ahead and put it on the left? I dunno.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
One extra wrinkle. It's going to be cheaper to get the collection than buying the games one by one. On my end, it's €10 cheaper — presuming each game will be priced €10, like Reach.

I don't believe they've given a release schedule, but the going assumption is that the rest will come out one by one over the course of 2020.
Ah, well, it actually helps me out a bit this month to just take the hit on the extra £6 and buy the entire collection upon the next content release Thanks very much for all the info!

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Is anybody else on PC dealing with "anti-cheat incident" notices booting you from matchmaking? Considering all I've done is test "social networking" and haven't touched a SINGLE file in my Halo install folder, I'm not sure what the false flag is there...

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
The game hitches / stalls for me whenever I get an achievement. Was quite frustrating, in MP in particular where I encountered it.
Haven't tried the campaign yet.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Is anybody else on PC dealing with "anti-cheat incident" notices booting you from matchmaking? Considering all I've done is test "social networking" and haven't touched a SINGLE file in my Halo install folder, I'm not sure what the false flag is there...
Apparently PC based RGB lighting controllers are triggering it

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
I have yet to pull the trigger on a graphics card, and most of my gaming has been catching up on old stuff, so my 3 year old i5 has been doing fine so far. How terrible is this going to run for me? I don't care about high settings, just a stable frame rate above 30fps.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
If I try to [purchase MCC it says this "

Halo: The Master Chief Collection: According to our records, you already own one or more of the items included in this package on Steam.
If purchasing for yourself, you will notreceive an extra copy of:
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • Halo: Reach

So, if I refund reach and buy the MCC can I play Reach now?

It looks utterly pointless for me to keep Reach on its own...
Oh bummer, refund Reach and buy it all then.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Played through the first campaign mission and a half. Game only uses like 20% of my 2080ti to hit 4K/60, and the Enhanced visuals actually don't look too bad. However the sound mix is absolutely horrible, like close to ruining the whole experience. Guns are way too quiet, voices are way too loud, and no way to fix this with the in-game Audio options

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Is it me or does whatever AA solution the game use not work on transparencies? I'm loading up the preset Forge maps to play around and there's tons of shimmering coming from the foliage in those. Trying to force transparency AA through the nVidia control panel doesn't work either.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

I was having this problem as well. I can't say 100% for sure if this is connected, but I verified the file integrity of the game (steam version) and it had to reacquire 7 files. Ever since then I haven't run into the issue.

I am running RGB software (iQue) so I might just be lucking out in my more recent games, though.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh bummer, refund Reach and buy it all then.
I already overspent this month's gaming budget during the sale. Disco Elysium was the final game I bought in the sale and it put me £20 over my budget, lol... had to buy it though.

So I'll take the hit of buying it piece by piece or the entire thing next content drop.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Has anyone had issues with their mic not being recognized or just no in game chat at all working? Push to talk button doesn't seem to do anything and in the button config, the button is greyed out.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to refund this until all the issues get smoothed over.

I don't know why they released Reach first when they had the rest of the collection ironed out on Xbox already.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I was getting over 200+ fps at certain points but it didn't remotely feel like it. Locked it to 60 and it felt much better.

In my testing unlocked ~300fps with no vsync felt significantly better than 60Hz with vsync/gsync. Both in terms of motion resolution and input response. Unfortunately, I need to run it in performance mode to even get near that framerate. Enhanced mode runs at ~120-150fps on a 2070 Super with my GPU hardly being utilized. Moving the mouse causes significant drops which results in an even worse experience.

At ~150 though the frame pacing feels horrible.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
For a competitive FPS I much prefer input lag over it looking a bit smoother. And it doesn't even look that much smoother imo, both options are pretty poor sadly :(
The thing is, and you can wait till my vid if you prefer, your mouse movement replicated at a higher FPS is actually erratic with screen movement. If is not as consistent as it should be. 60 fps is consistent.

As I see it - there is nothing wrong with the 60 fps / 60 hz experience in reach. But everything is wrong with the 120 hz or higher experience.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game won't launch for me. Launching from the start menu it tries to start but hard crashes and opens the windows store for some reason.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The thing is, and you can wait till my vid if you prefer, your mouse movement replicated at a higher FPS is actually erratic with screen movement. If is not as consistent as it should be. 60 fps is consistent.

As I see it - there is nothing wrong with the 60 fps / 60 hz experience in reach. But everything is wrong with the 120 hz or higher experience.
thanks for the insight. will do.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

Have you tried performance mode with no vsync? It feels significantly smoother and more consistent to me. With 300+fps, tearing is not really noticeable. Once you start to fall towards 200fps or less though it feels bad.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
I somehow got it to run on my OG surface book, whilst I'm away from my desktop at home. Seems like keeping the game at a 60fps cap instead of unlimited as actually sort of vsyincing it and causing most of my stuttering. Once I went uncapped the stuttering went away.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why do subtitles not work in-game? I'm playing the campaign right now and the subtitles worked fine in the cutscene but in-game they just don't appear.

Z6E1Z9O

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
the game runs horribly, it gives me a high framerate on my 2080 but it feels like it is 30 when capped at 60 fps and it feels even worse when unlockinng the framerate

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I guess we now know why the unlimited fps option is under the ''Experimental'' category on the settings menu.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Does this still take effect when the game is locked 120/144? Because while I can notice this when the game drops fps in a few areas, when its locked I'm not sure if I can notice it much if at all.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Does this still take effect when the game is locked 120/144? Because while I can notice this when the game drops fps in a few areas, when its locked I'm not sure if I can notice it much if at all.
Sure - I am surprised you have not noticed the problems regarding animation or input lining up at a high refresh.
Have you tried performance mode with no vsync? It feels significantly smoother and more consistent to me. With 300+fps, tearing is not really noticeable. Once you start to fall towards 200fps or less though it feels bad.

There is a reason for that probably, but it is not a good thing. You are just seeing the problems "lining up" more correctly with torn refreshes rather than actually being changed.

Hwoar

Dec 16, 2017
the game runs horribly, it gives me a high framerate on my 2080 but it feels like it is 30 when capped at 60 fps and it feels even worse when unlockinng the framerate

I have this, must be something specific causing it, because alot of people seem to be able to get a lot better performance.
Here and there I read a comment that looks like what I have experienced. I couldn't find a setting yesterday that I would call playable. (if I want to have fun)

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Can't even launch the game via Game Pass. When I click the play button, the app is minimized and the game never loads at all lol. All my drivers are up to date. Not sure what else to do. Just going to uninstall I guess.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Can't even launch the game via Game Pass. When I click the play button, the app is minimized and the game never loads at all lol. All my drivers are up to date. Not sure what else to do. Just going to uninstall I guess.
Try to launch the game by searching for it in your Windows searchbar.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain

In the high refresh rate mode animations are janky since they appear to be locked at 60 FPS and it looks weird. But it still feels better than the 60 FPS mode to me and I haven't noticed anything weird input wise. I play with vsync off ingame but forced on in the nvidia control panel for gsync to work properly.

JetstreamRorschach

One Winged Slayer
Dec 30, 2017
Zaragoza, Spain.
Yesterday my performance was flawless (1080p 60 FPS, GTX 1060 6GB i7 7700HQ 8GB RAM DDR4). Today, I can't even launch the game (fatal error after Splash Art, UE4 error so must be the launcher). Someone has an idea of what's happening? Already updated Windows, reinstalled the game, rebooted PC and reinstalled my GPU drivers (the last NVIDIA ones, Reach ready).

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Is it me or does whatever AA solution the game use not work on transparencies? I'm loading up the preset Forge maps to play around and there's tons of shimmering coming from the foliage in those. Trying to force transparency AA through the nVidia control panel doesn't work either.
Anyone? It hoenstly feels like the game's AA solution is just basic MSAA with nothing else included.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Can't get DSR to work through GeForce Experience. Anyone had success downsampling through custom resolution?

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Played about 45 minutes of the Steam version (entire first level), and outside of the in-game subtitles not displaying everything else was fine. Maxed out @1440p and everything was smooth as butter.

No stuttering during any game play or cutscenes.

This is on a 2700X @4.2 and a 1080Ti