• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Where did you get the Cold War part from?

"Gray will play Dr. Miranda Keyes, a brilliant UNSC Commander who is dedicated to understanding the technology, language and culture of the Covenant, but she'll have to learn to navigate the politics of the UNSC to get what she wants."

"an orphaned human who was raised by the alien Covenant and shares their contempt for humanity"

Doesn't seem like the UNSC and Covenant are involved in a total war of annihilation from those two quotes.

In addition, it's harder to create a show involving around a hot war. You pretty much lose all the political intrigue as your side is fully unified against the other. Less interactions and less conflicts because everything devolves to being about the bigger conflict.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I'm... mixed. On one hand it means I don't need to worry about them butchering the established canon. But on the other hand I was actually hoping to see stuff that could come back later in future games/books.

I wonder if Miranda is still Halsey's daughter.

I imagine she is - we know Natasha McElhone is playing Halsey/Cortana, and Cranster's post mentions the show's version of Keyes working with his wife and daughter. Wonder if we get to see Keyes and Halsey abducting the S-IIs :o

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Some more info on the new people on the cast and what roles. Murphy her role is intresting. Raised by the Covenant.

"Danny Sapani, Olive Gray, and Charlie Murphy have all joined the show, which is based on the video game franchise of the same name and is set to begin production this month in Budapest. They join previously announced series lead Pablo Schrieber, who will play the Master Chief, as well as Natascha McElhone, Bokeem Woodbine, Shabana Azmi, Bentley Kalu, Natasha Culzac, and Kate Kennedy. The series is currently scheduled to air in the first quarter of 2021.

Sapani will play Captain Jacob Keyes, described a dedicated military man, a war hero and a caring father. He finds that working alongside his daughter and his ex-wife is usually the cause of conflict rather than comfort. Sapani's television credits include shows like "Harlots," "The Crown," "Doctor Who," and "The Bastard Executioner." His film credits include "Black Panther," "Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi," and "The Siege of Jadotville."

Gray will play Dr. Miranda Keyes, a brilliant UNSC Commander who is dedicated to understanding the technology, language and culture of the Covenant, but she'll have to learn to navigate the politics of the UNSC to get what she wants. In addition to the BBC's "Half Moon Investigations," Gray has appeared in "Sex Education," "Fleabag," "EastEnders," "Dark Money," "Pure," and "The Story of Tracy Beaker."

Murphy will play Makee, an orphaned human who was raised by the alien Covenant and shares their contempt for humanity. In addition to her role as Jessie Eden on "Peaky Blinders," Murphy's screen credits include "Walk Invisible: The Brontë Sisters," "Happy Valley," "The Last Kingdom," "Misfits," and "Ripper Street."
They always find a way to shit on gaming properties dont they.
Whats this "raised by the covenant" nonsense?
Is this the only way they found to make things interesting?

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exciting. Can't wait to see what it looks like and if the look translates across the board, whehter they've reimagined it to fit or not. The cast is solid.

Guessing we won't be seeing it anytime soon, like late next year at best ?

Even when they finish shooting I'd imagine the post production on something like this would be even longer. I wouldn't bet on it transmitting next year.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
It ain't real until it's in production to me, so this is good news, hopefully they knock it out of the park.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they remember that Grunts are actually quite big and only look smaller due to Spartans being so tall/big.
You think we'll even see them? So far every live action adaptation, including the commercials, was too embarrassed to admit that Halo has a profoundly goofy side, reducing the Covenant's most numerous unit type to a rare background cameo.

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Hope they can capture the magic of some of the Halo shorts like Landfall or the ODST commercial. Delivering Hope is pretty awesome as well.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even when they finish shooting I'd imagine the post production on something like this would be even longer. I wouldn't bet on it transmitting next year.

Yeah, I was thinking those aspects would take a while but depends how long the shoot lasts and when it actually starts. If it's a short season probably won't take more than a few months probably or less?

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was thinking those aspects would take a while but depends how long the shoot lasts and when it actually starts. If it's a short season probably won't take more than a few months probably or less?

If its ten episodes that's probably about four to six months at a minimum and the post would probably be longer, maybe a big Fall 2021 date?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Stinkles

Hey, just wondering if you can answer (obviously feel free to simply ignore) but it's safe at this point to consider the show in it's own continuity, right? I feel like having that answered could set some expectations.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Finally. I mean they announced the thing back in 2013. Kept thinking it was dead and then I would hear a small announcement about it and then nothing again for like a year.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I remembering right that they said we would see John's face in this?

Last edited:

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I need pictures of the costumes and sets ASAP thanks

having trouble accepting that it's not canon and its own thing, but I hope that will subside -- the cast does look great!

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Kind of disappointed with this not being canon though. It would've been awesome having some sort of callback to it in upcoming games. I just hope the Spartans look good.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
About the face

"Wait and see," Levine said. "What I love about Pablo is he has the physicality to be a spartan, to be Master Chief, but he is A), a great dramatic actor and B), he's got such a twinkle in his eye. He's so good with wit and comedy. We want Master Chief to have that range and Pablo brings the range."

How can we see the twinkle in his eye if he's wearing his helmet? "Maybe it's the twinkle in his mask, we'll see," Levine said.

Canon stuff

Halo is not just video games: it's novels, comic books, and animation, too. And in this TV show, Showtime is respecting all of it.

"Hopefully, you're going to get new information in our series, but we're not going to violate any of the things in the canon," Levine said. "The good news is, we've been working very closely with 343 through the entire development process. They are there both as a resource to tell us stuff we don't know, and also to make sure we're not violating anything big in the canon. So we're doing this with total confidence that the fans are going to embrace what we're doing."

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope there's a fat juicy budget for special effects and production.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I'm ready.

A7Ybpbn.jpg

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Halo: Forward Unto Dawn wasn't a masterpiece by any means but was actually pretty good. Before Chief shows up it really showed how scary the Covenant are to non-Spartans.

One thing I didn't like about it was how it just casually introduces humanoid aliens for the first time (not counting Forerunners). Not that it's a bad inclusion, but that it feels like that should have been done in a game.

Nov 4, 2018
Some more info on the new people on the cast and what roles. Murphy her role is intresting. Raised by the Covenant.

"Danny Sapani, Olive Gray, and Charlie Murphy have all joined the show, which is based on the video game franchise of the same name and is set to begin production this month in Budapest. They join previously announced series lead Pablo Schrieber, who will play the Master Chief, as well as Natascha McElhone, Bokeem Woodbine, Shabana Azmi, Bentley Kalu, Natasha Culzac, and Kate Kennedy. The series is currently scheduled to air in the first quarter of 2021.

Sapani will play Captain Jacob Keyes, described a dedicated military man, a war hero and a caring father. He finds that working alongside his daughter and his ex-wife is usually the cause of conflict rather than comfort. Sapani's television credits include shows like "Harlots," "The Crown," "Doctor Who," and "The Bastard Executioner." His film credits include "Black Panther," "Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi," and "The Siege of Jadotville."

Gray will play Dr. Miranda Keyes, a brilliant UNSC Commander who is dedicated to understanding the technology, language and culture of the Covenant, but she'll have to learn to navigate the politics of the UNSC to get what she wants. In addition to the BBC's "Half Moon Investigations," Gray has appeared in "Sex Education," "Fleabag," "EastEnders," "Dark Money," "Pure," and "The Story of Tracy Beaker."

Murphy will play Makee, an orphaned human who was raised by the alien Covenant and shares their contempt for humanity. In addition to her role as Jessie Eden on "Peaky Blinders," Murphy's screen credits include "Walk Invisible: The Brontë Sisters," "Happy Valley," "The Last Kingdom," "Misfits," and "Ripper Street."

1. Not a fan of changing Captain Keyes's and Miranda's races. It reinforces the idea that PoC characters can't be made to stand on their own and have to latch onto the names of existing white characters.

2. What the hell is going on making Miranda a doctor? She's supposed to be an admiral commanding her own ship. Massive downgrade for the character in my opinion.

3. A human raised by the covenant is one of the most idiotic things I ever heard proposed for a storyline set in the Halo universe, let alone something actually official. The covenant were dead set on the utter genocide of humanity, why the fuck would they ever raise one?

This show has been in development hell for years and I have very little confidence now. It might be good but I don't have any high hopes.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the changes are not going well at all with the community. Yeah there are some racists but a lot of them genuinely wanted to see these characters in live action form but a lot of them are being radically changed and the idea of a Covenant Human is fucking idiot the more I think about it and completely goes against the Covenant and feels shoehorned in there just to justify having a human in there.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Not a fan of changing Captain Keyes's and Miranda's races. It reinforces the idea that PoC characters can't be made to stand on their own and have to latch onto the names of existing white characters.

2. What the hell is going on making Miranda a doctor? She's supposed to be an admiral commanding her own ship. Massive downgrade for the character in my opinion.

3. A human raised by the covenant is one of the most idiotic things I ever heard proposed for a storyline set in the Halo universe, let alone something actually official. The covenant were dead set on the utter genocide of humanity, why the fuck would they ever raise one?

This show has been in development hell for years and I have very little confidence now. It might be good but I don't have any high hopes.

1. Get over it

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well if you want me to get over this reoccuring trend that trivializes PoC actors as merely being replacements for white actors instead of being able to stand on their own, then yeah the logical conclusion is that you support that shit.

More than anything it reinforces the idea that, hey, PoC are also people and we shouldn't be relegated to token roles. That white isn't the default. Captain Keyes being black isnt "replacing" anybody. This show is an adaptation, not a continuation of anything.

Nov 4, 2018
More than anything it reinforces the idea that, hey, PoC are also people and we shouldn't be relegated to token roles. That white isn't the default. Captain Keyes being black isnt "replacing" anybody. This show is an adaptation, not a continuation of anything.
People are now going to have to refer to these characters as "Captain Keyes" and "Black Captain Keyes" considering the original is white and the new one is black. I'd rather have a new character to refer to than have people call them "Black (Insert Name)".

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are now going to have to refer to these characters as "Captain Keyes" and "Black Captain Keyes" considering the original is white and the new one is black. I'd rather have a new character to refer to than have people call them "Black (Insert Name)".

or yknow, "Live action captain Keyes" or "tv show Keyes"

Or maybe just use the name of the actor

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I know Halo games are still around and everything is getting adapted into a TV show but this feels like a a decade late.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah because that worked out so fucking well for Hermoine

I don't know what you're even taking about but it hasn't been a problem for comic book movies. Cat woman, Kingpin, Nick Fury, Deadshot, and soon to be Gordon.

People have got to get over characters being black. Absolutely we should be making more original PoC characters but casting black actors in "white" roles doesn't diminish those efforts

Nov 4, 2018
I don't know what you're even taking about but it hasn't been a problem for comic book movies. Cat woman, Kingpin, Nick Fury, Deadshot, and soon to be Gordon.

People have got to get over characters being black. Absolutely we should be making more original PoC characters but casting black actors in "white" roles doesn't diminish those efforts
Nick Fury is the only example you've given of a character having their race changed and becoming the mass accepted version of the character, and to be totally honest the only reason that worked out in my opinion is because everyone and their mom loves Samuel L Jackson. For everyone else you listed, the public mind will always have them being white. Catwoman may be black in an upcoming movie, but the mass accepted version of her will always be white with a black version of her seen as just an alternate version or take that has no influence on the character's main perception.

It doesn't even have to be an entirely different character. My favorite example of what I'm talking about is Miles Morales. Miles Morales is accepted as an original character despite the fact he takes the same role as Spider Man because he isn't trying to be a new take on Peter Parker that will inevitably be put to the sideline in favor of the mass accepted Peter Parker. There will always be Peter and Miles, not Peter and "Black Peter".

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never crossed my mind about Keyes or Miranda. Not like they are super established or anything. To me Keyes is a calm bad ass with a cool voice who has a horrible end and his Anniversary redesign was weird. Miranda is that badass one who runs funny in that Halo 2 cutscene and finally gets a better moment in the Anniversary edition. I know that's simplifying things but we get two cool actors doing good stuff, who cares. The more important stuff will be the background changes.