• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I have no problem with them changing the races of Jacob and Miranda as long as they stay true to the characters. The human/covenant thing I'm a bit more iffy on, but I'll wait and see how they handle it before getting upset.

1. Not a fan of changing Captain Keyes's and Miranda's races. It reinforces the idea that PoC characters can't be made to stand on their own and have to latch onto the names of existing white characters.

2. What the hell is going on making Miranda a doctor? She's supposed to be an admiral commanding her own ship. Massive downgrade for the character in my opinion.

3. A human raised by the covenant is one of the most idiotic things I ever heard proposed for a storyline set in the Halo universe, let alone something actually official. The covenant were dead set on the utter genocide of humanity, why the fuck would they ever raise one?

This show has been in development hell for years and I have very little confidence now. It might be good but I don't have any high hopes.

Miranda was never an Admiral. The highest rank she attained was Commander.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
What I wonder is, if this show introduces new lore (backstory, Covenant stuff, etc) and it's well received, will they ever incorporate those ideas or designs into the games?

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Im just gonna say it. Will more than likely be fucking awful. Halo is a universe where the experience is so much more important that what you are told. Bungie knew this. 343 sure as hell dont.

The story telling since 343 has been in charge and Im not trying to be dramatic, has been borderline embarrassing, considering that it was written by professional adults.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Not a fan of changing Captain Keyes's and Miranda's races. It reinforces the idea that PoC characters can't be made to stand on their own and have to latch onto the names of existing white characters.

2. What the hell is going on making Miranda a doctor? She's supposed to be an admiral commanding her own ship. Massive downgrade for the character in my opinion.

3. A human raised by the covenant is one of the most idiotic things I ever heard proposed for a storyline set in the Halo universe, let alone something actually official. The covenant were dead set on the utter genocide of humanity, why the fuck would they ever raise one?

1. I don't know what to tell you here beyond us casting for the best actors. Probably the last thing I'm going to say on this subject because a) it's the entirety of the reason and b) I saw so much racist trash about this kind of casting that my patience for it is membrane thin.
2. She's still a Commander in rank and has a useful specialty that extends beyond chasing ships and running — although she can still do those things.
3. you'll find out within minutes of being introduced to her and it's a reason that already exists in canon that you almost certainly know a little about if you've played any games in the series.

I hope they remember that Grunts are actually quite big and only look smaller due to Spartans being so tall/big.

"about the size of a marine and extremely strong, prone to suicidal berserker charges — and in real life would be pretty scary right up until the confetti comes out."

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018
3. you'll find out within minutes of being introduced to her and it's a reason that already exists in canon that you almost certainly know a little about if you've played any games in the series.
Care to share what that reason found in the games is? Cause so far from what I gather:
Halo CE - Covenant board the Pillar of Autumn, kill everyone they come across, and when they later invade it after it crashes take everyone prisoner.
Halo 2 - Covenant invade Earth and go slip space in a city that causes a space elevator to collapse, killing god knows how many. Board the mac gun stations in order to place bombs that destroy the station and kill everyone on board. Take humans prisoner later on, are ordered to execute Johnson (and presumably his other squadmates) and take Miranda in order to activate Halo. Which by the way, humans being required to activate anything Forerunner related is supposed to be a secret as literally stated by Truth in Halo 3 to Johnson. "I admit, I need you help. But that secret dies with all the rest"
Halo 3 - Continued invasion of Earth, Brutes take Johnson prisoner because they need him to activate the Ark.
Halo ODST - Again, continued invasion of Earth and Brutes nearly kill Romeo.
Halo Reach - Covenant utterly fucking decimate Reach taking very little prisoners, if any. We literally see the dead bodies of both soldiers and civilians.

So I am very curious, Mr. Subtlety & Nuance, what obvious plot detail I missed that would explain how this "human raised by the covenant" isn't one of the most stupid things ever written into Halo.

Guru_Godzilla

Jul 10, 2018
Is this the same tv show first announced when the Xbox one was revealed? If so I can't believe it took this long.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Care to share what that reason found in the games is? Cause so far from what I gather:
Halo CE - Covenant board the Pillar of Autumn, kill everyone they come across, and when they later invade it after it crashes take everyone prisoner.
Halo 2 - Covenant invade Earth and go slip space in a city that causes a space elevator to collapse, killing god knows how many. Board the mac gun stations in order to place bombs that destroy the station and kill everyone on board. Take humans prisoner later on, are ordered to execute Johnson (and presumably his other squadmates) and take Miranda in order to activate Halo. Which by the way, humans being required to activate anything Forerunner related is supposed to be a secret as literally stated by Truth in Halo 3 to Johnson. "I admit, I need you help. But that secret dies with all the rest"
Halo 3 - Continued invasion of Earth, Brutes take Johnson prisoner because they need him to activate the Ark.
Halo ODST - Again, continued invasion of Earth and Brutes nearly kill Romeo.
Halo Reach - Covenant utterly fucking decimate Reach taking very little prisoners, if any. We literally see the dead bodies of both soldiers and civilians.

So I am very curious, Mr. Subtlety & Nuance, what obvious plot detail I missed that would explain how this "human raised by the covenant" isn't one of the most stupid things ever written into Halo.
Mr...? ah never mind.

Anyhoo.

I'm not being deliberately obtuse — I'm simply mentioning that despite her being a brand new character the underlying information is based on existing logic. I'm not discussing plot here or now. And I'm certainly not arguing about unrevealed stuff. I can't force or compel you to feel any different than you do and I don't begrudge you your opinion. I hope you enjoy the show if you watch it and I hope you understand that particular detail when it's explained even if you don't care for it.

we'll discuss more about the plot and framing soon and while we're still not going to discuss spoilers we're also not going to be vague about frame of reference for fans. We'll be clear and open. Right now we're focused on getting prepped to roll film and finish pre production.

I'm extremely excited about what everybody involved is bringing to the table and I have had my mind blown seeing elements of my favorite series brought gloriously to life by incredibly talented artists and craftsmen — and I genuinely hope that folks like you who have every reason to care about how something you've been fond of is brought to life.

Nov 4, 2018
User Banned (1 month): concern trolling, hostility, and inflammatory accusations over a series of posts
Mr...? ah never mind.

Anyhoo.

I'm not being deliberately obtuse — I'm simply mentioning that despite her being a brand new character the underlying information is based on existing logic. I'm not discussing plot here or now. And I'm certainly not arguing about unrevealed stuff. I can't force or compel you to feel any different than you do and I don't begrudge you your opinion. I hope you enjoy the show if you watch it and I hope you understand that particular detail when it's explained even if you don't care for it.

we'll discuss more about the plot and framing soon and while we're still not going to discuss spoilers we're also not going to be vague about frame of reference for fans. We'll be clear and open. Right now we're focused on getting prepped to roll film and finish pre production.

I'm extremely excited about what everybody involved is bringing to the table and I have had my mind blown seeing elements of my favorite series brought gloriously to life by incredibly talented artists and craftsmen — and I genuinely hope that folks like you who have every reason to care about how something you've been fond of is brought to life.
Yes I'm sure having a human character to represent the Covenant was not at all because having actual aliens on screen would be expensive as hell and normal audiences wouldn't understand what the Covenant is actually about so we need a surrogate character for covenant.
Also it's really hard for me to believe that your words are genuine given you actually work at the company this product is owned by and I've very little humbleness from you in the past that would suggest anything you say isn't some kind of PR, whereas even the people at Bungie were able to look at things like Halo 2 and say things like "yeah the scripted Scarab section was ass."

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Mr...? ah never mind.

Anyhoo.

Wellp. I for one am very excited. I'm not sure if we've gotten a full confirmation that all of this is canon, but I appreciate that there's work being done to situate this within the universe in a way that makes sense. Thanks for the work you all do, and I truly hope this turns out well! Keep it up yo.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Wellp. I for one am very excited. I'm not sure if we've gotten a full confirmation that all of this is canon, but I appreciate that there's work being done to situate this within the universe in a way that makes sense. Thanks for the work you all do, and I truly hope this turns out well! Keep it up yo.

At this point it's honestly better for the show to simply treat it as it's own thing. Trying to rationalize the changes within the games/book canon will only harm things. Best to simply look at it as a new timeline and expect changes and judge it on that then merely for not following the games/books.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I'm sure having a human character to represent the Covenant was not at all because having actual aliens on screen would be expensive as hell and normal audiences wouldn't understand what the Covenant is actually about so we need a surrogate character for covenant.
Also it's really hard for me to believe that your words are genuine given you actually work at the company this product is owned by and I've very little humbleness from you in the past that would suggest anything you say isn't some kind of PR, whereas even the people at Bungie were able to look at things like Halo 2 and say things like "yeah the scripted Scarab section was ass."

I was one of the people at Bungie talking about things that weren't perfect. Possibly one of the very people you're referring to. I have zero issue talking about negatives, mistakes or missed goals. We did that when appropriate or meaningful or informative and I did that from 2003 till Reach.

And you have jumped to a false and unrelated conclusion. Makee does not in any way replace, surrogate or stand in for the covenant in purpose or screen time.

Anyway I took the bait so congrats.

I should go back to that thread where the guy said "a moron says what" because I really want to kno

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
At this point it's honestly better for the show to simply treat it as it's own thing. Trying to rationalize the changes within the games/book canon will only harm things. Best to simply look at it as a new timeline and expect changes and judge it on that then merely for not following the games/books.
Yea, I'm fine with that. TV often needs that sort of freedom, even if it's a bit risky when you play with an established canon. I think we game enthusiasts often overlook how poorly GAME STORIES translate 1:1 into other mediums. Just because a game story works really well as a game DOES NOT mean it would work really well simply plugged into another medium. If this makes it easier to make this a good TV show? Great. I'm on board. That said, I will still appreciate it if they take the time to situate the show within the established bounds of the universe. I don't want to have to fundamentally relearn the rules to enjoy this, and it does not seem as though I will need to do that. How successful that ends up being remains to be seen, but I see no evidence of malpractice here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I'm fine with that. TV often needs that sort of freedom, even if it's a bit risky when you play with an established canon. But I think we game enthusiasts often overlook how poorly GAME STORIES translate 1:1 into other mediums. Just because a game story works really well as a game DOES NOT mean it would work really well simply plugged into another medium. If this makes it easier to make this a good TV show? Great. I'm on board. That said, I will still appreciate it if they take the time to situate the show within the established bounds of the universe. I don't want to have to fundamentally relearn the rules to enjoy this, and it does not seem as though I will need to do that. How successful that ends up being remains to be seen, but I see no evidence of malpractice here.

Well to be fair I don't think anyone want a show that adapted the games specifically. Just a story set within the universe which wouldn't have that issue since it wouldn't be bound to the structure of the game.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
I hope we get to see every existing Covenant species on-screen at one point or another. For some reason I have always had an unexplained curiosity of how Yanme'e would translate to live-action media. Overall I'm quite excited. I don't pay too much mind to whether or not it adheres to the ongoing canon — honestly I wouldn't mind if it didn't, I can only assume that would give them more creative flexibility, but Halo is already very broad with a lot of unexplored areas and timelines, so it's not like it's necessary either way.

I'm just glad this is finally happening.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not getting excited until I made visual contact with the first episode on TV. Since like 2006 it feels like has always been a Halo TV show or movie on the horizon but never ever comes of it. This is probably the closest it's even been though.

Nov 12, 2017
Hopefully 343 aren't involved. They're obsession with lore accuracy over everything else (including creativity and quality) has made everything they touch extremely, extremely boring.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I have almost zero faith this will be any good.
Well that's way to to be pleasantly surprised. Given we're in a golden age of television quality, I'm thinking they know the bar they're going for. We're in a place where The Expanse is out there producing top quality Space sci-fi. They need to shoot that high. Give me good world building, high production values, sharp writing, interesting characters, and throw in a well planned beginning, middle and end.

Oh, a little humour wouldn't hurt. Taking the world seriously is good but humans (and aliens?) have a sense of humour. Great shows don't forget this no matter how serious the subject.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
I'm so excited for this. I have high hopes that this is going to deliever what we've been waiting so long for.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I'm very excited about pretty much everything they have revealed so far. The casting is perfect, especially if you consider that they announced that they would shift ages and other characteristics around to make for a better TV show, which is always a good reason to shake things up in an adaption from one medium to another.

If it was exactly the material we already know, which was designed to be an awesome FPS, not an ongoing TV Show, the experience would suffer for it. Having something brand new that is visually informed by the source material while tying into the story we know and fleshing out characters that the games didn't get to flesh out is the way to go here.

As for the Covenant using humans, that makes a ton of sense and could actually answer something that hasn't been fully explored in the Halo lore yet. The Covenant are chasing after Forerunner relics across the galaxy but they have no way of interacting with the technology aside from haphazardly reverse engineering it based on their mechanical knowledge of the tech. They have no access to the knowledge contained within these artifacts, they can't use the tech directly despite it essentially lying around. The Covenant know since Harvest, or even before, that humans have a key in their DNA that allows them to use Forerunner tech and even in the games they haven't been above capturing humans to make them interact with Forerunner tech (Johnson in Halo 3).

Aside from that, they had to learn about humanity somehow, language, behavior etc. so it makes sense to capture humans from that perspective as well.

Oct 25, 2017

This is some straight up bold-faced dick-headedness right hurr.

Impressed with your calm management of this Frankie.

I'm ways excited for more Halo, and I've felt teased by the TV thing for ages now so I dun care how it turns out I just waaaant it.

(Ok I'd prefer it be gud but I has faith in its potential)

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Breh he's clearly hinting at the fact that only humans are able to activate Forerunner tech. It's one of the earliest established rules of the Haloverse. Multiple times in the games they had to kidnap someone because of it? Anders in Halo Wars? Johnson in Halo 3?

Sounds like reason enough for me that the Covenant might figure, "why not raise one of these creatures ourselves?".

Last edited:

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Jesus christ you need to relax

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Another thing about canon. This is something I have changed my mind about very drastically over the years not just when it comes to Halo or videogames but media in general. I used to cringe whenever established lore was "overwritten" or when things were obviously retconned. However, I have come to understand and accept that canon is by the very nature of fiction fluid and that it is necessary to be fluid. Even the sprawling fiction you most admire for its adherence to its own internal canon constantly breaks character and retcons events, it just hides it better, be it through prose or steering character development along to make previous actions make sense. You may even derive enjoyment from a skilled author navigate the spiders web of his own making skillfully to write himself out of a hole he wrote himself into.

The above is especially true for adaptions. You gain the advantage of hindsight, something the original author didn't have. That's one of the reasons why I like the original anime adaption of Legend of the Galactic Heroes so much. Later books introduced characters that by all means and adherence to internal logic should have been present and involved during events in earlier books. When the material was adapted the characters which were only introduced later in the books were inserted into earlier events in a natural fashion which enhanced the experience.

To tie this into Halo let's take a look at the inclusion of Miranda Keyes in the TV series. The character was created for Halo 2 by Bungie. Obviously she didn't appear in Halo or The Fall of Reach, because she didn't exist yet. With hindsight however, especially considering that Doctor Halsey and Captain Keyes are main characters in The Fall of Reach, she absolutely should have had a part in The Fall of Reach. Her inclusion in the TV series, which takes place in the timeframe of TFoR, inserts a character which from a writers perspective didn't exist yet into the established narrative because it absolutely makes sense for the character to appear from a logical and narrative standpoint.

So in this case breaking canon by retroactively inserting a character into events it was not originally involved in actually preserves canon by giving more cohesion to the big picture.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bit disappointing to be honest. Was hoping for something that would add to the current fiction instead of being an alternate timeline.
Tv and games are entirely different mediums so to show the MC at his current game stage of development would simply just confuse people. This needs to loop in viewers who don't play halo. That means retelling some of the stories to fit tv.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I feel I've heard this every year since 2007 or something. We ended up getting terrible low budget, college level of shows.

But I'd be the first to enjoy a good Halo show

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I feel I've heard this every year since 2007 or something. We ended up getting terrible low budget, college level of shows.

But I'd be the first to enjoy a good Halo show

You've never got a show from a platform as big as Showtime before. And certainly none that has crossed this full casting milestone.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Toxic fandom is never a good thing to see. You need to chill with this.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
If Peter Jackson, Neill Blomkamp and Steven Spielberg couldn't get a Halo thing going no one can.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Will wait for trailers, but also will be interesting to see the eventual on set pics that leak (and then get people to complain about the costumes lol)

Feb 23, 2018
Mr...? ah never mind.

I think he's referencing what you said about H5:
I saw a complaint online, somebody had been reading spoilers, they hadn't played the game, and they said 'Why is this character evil?' And my question back to them is, 'What makes you say they're evil?' Certainly a lot of our younger players are going to struggle with that subtlety, that nuance, because they're expecting Darth Vader."

While I don't like that user's aggressive undertone at all and I'm happy that you replied, the underlying issue is that a lot of people in the community are still bitter coming from H5. Even the most knowledgable and constructive Halo lore/narrative enthusiasts such as Haruspis heavily criticized some of your decicisions in Halo 5 from the misleading Hunt the Truth campaign to your portrayal of Cortana.

It's a little one-sided to dig something up you said in 10/2015 yet that's probably the point: 4 years after the launch of H5 you havn't adressed the issue at all.

I hope that you itend to make it right with Infinite yet speaking as somone who would give his right leg to see Halo as well as you shine again I would LOVE a post-mortem on H5's development especially regarding the narrative aspects.

You guys and girls have developed such an open policy when it comes to the exchange with the community yet in this case it feels like talking to a wall. Just a small acknowledgement would go a long way to heal some of the wounds.

BOT: I can't be more happy to finally see production starting, it's been such a long wait. With this series and the launch of Infinite I just want to jump ahead in time!

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Showtime isn't known for big budget shows and the one thing Halo needs is a big budget.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Really enjoyed Halo Legends, a good primer on its lore for newcomers,

Hope HBO or Amazon picks up Destiny for a similar treatment that Netflix is giving Witcher.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed Halo Legends, a good primer on its lore for newcomers,

Hope HBO or Amazon picks up Destiny for a similar treatment that Netflix is giving Witcher.

What we really need is Halo Legends Vol. 2.

Origins was absolutely incredible. And contains the best piece of music from the entire franchise.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's weird they couldn't get a big movie or show off the ground until now. Halo is one of the most known series ever in gaming. All they had was a bunch of okay web series they funded.

Dec 25, 2018
Perfectly fine with it being its own thing cannon wise, probably was the only way to get the project moving along and not make things confusing for newcomers to the series. I see it like Transformers doing a new continuity every once in a while, it takes similar plot beats and characters but offers the opportunity for different takes on their characterisation and plot threads that could go somewhere different than before. I suppose the main rub with Halo is that its been going on for as long as it has in the same continuity with most of the cross-media stuff being a part of that same continuity, it might take a bit of adjustment for some.

The human-covenant thing will have to wait and see on execution, like someone else said, there's precedent in the games/canon for it.
Should be interesting to see how the relationship between Halsey, Jacob and Miranda plays out in the new timeline.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why the Covenant and human relationship is weird. I mean arent the Arbiter and MC not "friends"
Offcourse something happened that resulted into that. That can be the case with that character also.