• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"Wait and see," Levine said. "What I love about Pablo is he has the physicality to be a spartan, to be Master Chief, but he is A), a great dramatic actor and B), he's got such a twinkle in his eye. He's so good with wit and comedy. We want Master Chief to have that range and Pablo brings the range."

How can we see the twinkle in his eye if he's wearing his helmet? "Maybe it's the twinkle in his mask, we'll see," Levine said.
Cant wait for Master Chief to dab.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why the Covenant and human relationship is weird. I mean arent the Arbiter and MC not "friends"
Offcourse something happened that resulted into that. That can be the case with that character also.
Well here are my thoughts which I am sure is the reason here. The Prophets KNEW humanity were the reclaimers right before the events at Harvest. Not far fetched to think they'd need one to unlock some Forerunner secrets.

I mean they needed Keys to activate the Arc, so that should be a hint as to why they would do this.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
thank you stinkles for chiming in. cant believe how rude people are to you - thanks for not letting that get in the way of interacting with us.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Yes I'm sure having a human character to represent the Covenant was not at all because having actual aliens on screen would be expensive as hell and normal audiences wouldn't understand what the Covenant is actually about so we need a surrogate character for covenant.
Also it's really hard for me to believe that your words are genuine given you actually work at the company this product is owned by and I've very little humbleness from you in the past that would suggest anything you say isn't some kind of PR, whereas even the people at Bungie were able to look at things like Halo 2 and say things like "yeah the scripted Scarab section was ass."

IckyRecentHoneybee-size_restricted.gif

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Showtime isn't known for big budget shows and the one thing Halo needs is a big budget.
I don't know if I'd call Penny Dreadful big budget, but it was up there with any HBO show in terms of production values. Man, I miss that show.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I don't know. The show runner does not inspire confidence, and I think the Halo as a massive IP ship has sailed years ago.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yooooo that's some cool casting. Heard good things about the showrunner's other projects, got high hopes :)

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Two directors listed on IMDB

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1163264/?ref_=ttfc_fc_dr1

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004152/?ref_=ttfc_fc_dr2

Writer

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3189831/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr1

along with the one and only Joseph Staten.

Steven Kane (The Last Ship, The Closer) has boarded the live-action drama as co-showrunner. In his new role, Kane will serve alongside showrunner Kyle Killen (Lone Star, Awake).

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0437442/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Awake, blast from the past, I was so getting into that before they cancelled it.

Oct 26, 2017
Interested in seeing how this turns out

Also to those angry about race, a character is not defined by their looks, but by the personality of the actor that makes that character come to life. Seeing how this show seems to be doing it's own thing, it's really not a big deal.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe we get something at XO19. Usually production starts shares a pic of a character or something or a teaser.
Maybe its a coincidence they shared the production start just before XO. Maybe not.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Mention any three things that point to a 'disaster in the making'.
1) Halo is a space opera. Showtime isn't known for high budget stuff, I fear they won't do the universe justice. For that reason I'd strongly prefer Halo 2 anniversary-level CG over live action.
2) the character write-ups make me think the story will strongly deviate from the lore for no particular reason, same as the game Reach was a middle finger to the novel Fall of Reach without giving anything interesting in return
3) casting a rather skinny dude as Master Chief is questionable, though I guess there's not much choice in the actor space. Master Chief should look like a freak of nature, and Schreiber doesn't

Maybe all 3 are a matter of preference, or the show might turn out good and faithful to the series despite all 3, but I don't have high expectations.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem with this not being canon. It's still going to stick to most beats and themes but it gives them more freedom.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Oh man. This is exciting news! I feel like I've been waiting most of my life for Halo to finally make its way to TV-Proper.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
God damn it.

I just want a good adaption of the games 1 through 3.

Well the show was never going to be that since they haven't done much re adapting stuff. (The animated Fall of Reach thing being the only notable example).

It will also join Halo Legends episode - Odd One Out, as the only other produced Non-Canon material. Which for their first truly big TV show is odd.

You'll have people who played the games and then go to watch the show and confused by the changes, and then you'll have people getting into the show and then checking out the games and being confused at the "changes".

It wouldn't be as big of a deal if the Halo games/books were at their end and no more new material was being made but there is.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Well the show was never going to be that since they haven't done much re adapting stuff. (The animated Fall of Reach thing being the only notable example).

It will also join Halo Legends episode - Odd One Out, as the only other produced Non-Canon material. Which for their first truly big TV show is odd.

You'll have people who played the games and then go to watch the show and confused by the changes, and then you'll have people getting into the show and then checking out the games and being confused at the "changes".

It wouldn't be as big of a deal if the Halo games/books were at their end and no more new material was being made but there is.

Meh, I understand the point but you have so many universes that cross mediums and go different paths and they make it work (GOT is a great example). People understand that different mediums might tell different stories/lore even if they are based on the same universe.

I actually prefer this direction since it allows them to tell the story they want to tell without compromising or trying to adapt things that wouldn't fit the medium.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, I understand the point but you have so many universes that cross mediums and go different paths and they make it work (GOT is a great example). People understand that different mediums might tell different stories/lore even if they are based on the same universe.

I actually prefer this direction since it allows them to tell the story they want to tell without compromising or trying to adapt things that wouldn't fit the medium.

Well, ASOIAF's book series will likely never be finished so essentially the original material is over. But I would say the problem with using GOT anyway as an example is that there is clearly the: "Book Universe" and the "TV Universe"

Halo is much more complicated now.

Because you have Games, Books, Comics, Live-Action Series (FUD, and Nightfall), audio dramas, and Anime (Baring Odd-One-Out) that are all canon to the original games.

Then you have the Showtime series that isn't canon to any of the previous stuff. So it can and no doubt will confuse people.

But I feel like your last part is a bit odd and would only matter if they were actually adapting the games. If they're making a story set anytime during the Halo universe, so long as it's not based on a game they would never have to adapt something that wouldn't fit the medium. Halo has already have live action stuff before with no issue.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
Why do like, almost all, have British accents? Like... Is this a coincidence or a deliberate design choice?

The British accent have often been used as a choice to distinguish the "evil empire", or foreigners in an old time (Star Wars and les miserables is a good example of this).

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is it though? Hollywood lothes Cannon in storytelling. Rather than work within the confines of an existing story and existing naritive to create your own characters and story beats (or intelligently addon to existing stuff), its just easier for them to reuse existing stuff and just change everything surrounding it. It's the reason why Adaptions from Novels into TV/Movies are almost always lackluster and remade 50 times with each one being different.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Is it though? Hollywood lothes Cannon in storytelling. Rather than work within the confines of an existing story and existing naritive to create your own characters and story, its just easier for them to reuse existing stuff and just change everything surrounding it. It's the reason why Adaptions from Novels into TV/Movie are almost always lackluster and remade 50 times with each one being different.

I guess in this context it is odd because this is their third Live-Action series after FUD and Nightfall but the first one that is non-canon.

Now the scale of production for this is much much much larger than either FUD or Nightfall, so that is probably a factor.

Still, as everything that had come before (but OOO) was canon, the natural assumption was that it would be and even when they started doing the initial casting, nothing was signalling that it wouldn't be. It was only when they announced production was a go (the twee that made this thread), that people realized it wasn't going to be.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Well, ASOIAF's book series will likely never be finished so essentially the original material is over. But I would say the problem with using GOT anyway as an example is that there is clearly the: "Book Universe" and the "TV Universe"

Halo is much more complicated now.

Because you have Games, Books, Comics, Live-Action Series (FUD, and Nightfall), audio dramas, and Anime (Baring Odd-One-Out) that are all canon to the original games.

Then you have the Showtime series that isn't canon to any of the previous stuff. So it can and no doubt will confuse people.

You are right that the Halo universe is a little more confusing but if you look at audiences the Showtime show will reach so much more people than all the other mediums combined (except the games). Most people that will watch the TV show don't know books/animes/whatever exist, and I really believe that it will be an easy distinction to go "There is the TV-Show and then there's everything else" if they decide to look into Lore.

But I feel like your last part is a bit odd and would only matter if they were actually adapting the games. If they're making a story set anytime during the Halo universe, so long as it's not based on a game they would never have to adapt something that wouldn't fit the medium. Halo has already have live action stuff before with no issue.

Yea I think I wrote that responding in my mind to the people saying they should adapt the games. I totally agree with you actually.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I guess in this context it is odd because this is their third Live-Action series after FUD and Nightfall but the first one that is non-canon.

Now the scale of production for this is much much much larger than either FUD or Nightfall, so that is probably a factor.

Still, as everything that had come before (but OOO) was canon, the natural assumption was that it would be and even when they started doing the initial casting, nothing was signalling that it wouldn't be. It was only when they announced production was a go (the twee that made this thread), that people realized it wasn't going to be.
I will say, I am disapointed that this wont be Canon. Because one of my favourite things about the Halo Univerise is how closely it follows its Cannon. With the exception of a clearly comedic, deadpool-esque episode of the anime and a single game which overrode everything in one of the novels (which was rewritten to make it match up again); Everything builds off of one another and increases the scope and depth of the Universe as a whole. I find that that is what makes the Halo Universe magical compared to most other story universes which are clearly split into multiple diferent Canons (Book Canon, Game Canon, TV/Movie Canon, ect). Because the Halo Universe is so streamlined, it is a lot easier to get invested and hooked in the story as a whole because everything has meaning.

And sure, some of the complaints are silly. Like people complaining about Jacob Keys being played by a black actor. Because lets be honest here. Even if the show followed Canon, thats not what is going to be added to the cannon. It's the actions which are added to the universes Cannon, not their appearance. In a story that respects its Canon, the only appearance that matters is the very first one that is described (or the closest Retcon when officially announced). Everything else is just depictions which while they should try to be followed, it isn't the end of the world if it isn't because its the Actions of that Character which will be written down in the Universes Bible. AKA "Jacob keys did XYZ" not "Jacob Keys randomly became W race and did XYZ". Put another way, what he looks like won't/shouldn't change his characterization. Keys is still going to be Keys, and Keys is still a badass.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, if Halo was finished it would make sense but thats never gonna happen lmao

That's my biggest gripe as a Halo fan, there is no end in sight.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I will say:

I don't like how they're taking iconic characters, and completely changing them (like Miranda Keyes being a doctor studying the Covies).

Why not make them all new characters? I don't really think they have that much general audience appeal for their inclusion bringing crowds in.

Cycloneon

Banned
Jun 28, 2019
Stinkles is there any way to know if this is 100% canon or not? Because it just seems like we'll never get an answer and therefore I assume this will be semi-canon and you guys will use some aspects of it in future canon games?? I think the community deserves some clarity, we've been waiting six years already, eight years by the time the show comes out and there's so much confusion all over HaloNet.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping it turns out well. Though I feel like the ship has already sailed on any interest the general public would've had in the show or it being a cultural thing like GoT became.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Stinkles is there any way to know if this is 100% canon or not? Because it just seems like we'll never get an answer and therefore I assume this will be semi-canon and you guys will use some aspects of it in future canon games?? I think the community deserves some clarity, we've been waiting six years already, eight years by the time the show comes out and there's so much confusion all over HaloNet.

It's already been confirmed as its own continuity, or "soft canon".

Pure speculation, but if elements from the show are deemed canon, it will simply be adopting the concept in its own way, and we won't know until it appears in a game or novel (but wont equate to other things being canon by association).