• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So, episode 1 of the Mandalorian is out, and the lead character never once is without a helmet -- I feel like this is a good proof of concept for MC in this series.

Stinkles - any chance reactions to that character could help sell MC mostly wearing his armor/helmet.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am extremely weirded out by the reactions of this thread that a human raised by the covenant is in some way breaking established lore.

two very important things.

1. In the books Jackals have traded with human insurrectionist outposts. This was not approved by the actual covenant. But it does set a bit of a precedent.

2. As people have pointed out, only humans can interact with some key forerunner tech. The covenant needed to use both Miranda and Johnson to activate certain forerunner things. Wouldn't it make a LOT of sense to basically raise a human to act as your forerunner key instead of relying on reluctant prisoners?

Also can someone please point to me where it was said this was going to be non-canon? Nothing I've seen so far indicate that its going to be non-cannon. This takes place before Halo CE/Reach is all I can surmise just from the characters alone.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I am extremely weirded out by the reactions of this thread that a human raised by the covenant is in some way breaking established lore.

two very important things.

1. In the books Jackals have traded with human insurrectionist outposts. This was not approved by the actual covenant. But it does set a bit of a precedent.

2. As people have pointed out, only humans can interact with some key forerunner tech. The covenant needed to use both Miranda and Johnson to activate certain forerunner things. Wouldn't it make a LOT of sense to basically raise a human to act as your forerunner key instead of relying on reluctant prisoners?
--

1. Jackals always played fast and loose and not all Jackals were in the covenant, many were pirates before and after the Covenant brought them on board.

2. But you don't see the problem with that? The Prophets wanted to wipe out humanity to prevent the Covenant from realizing that Humans were declared as the Reclaimers. By choosing to raise a human they're acknowledging their own bullshit in front of everyone.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I was starting to feel like this was never gonna happen. Again.

For a second there I was bummed that this show isn't considered canon but then I thought, "what even is the Halo canon?".

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2. But you don't see the problem with that? The Prophets wanted to wipe out humanity to prevent the Covenant from realizing that Humans were declared as the Reclaimers. By choosing to raise a human they're acknowledging their own bullshit in front of everyone.
Ok but where does it say that the rest of the covenant know about her?

What is also so weird about them keeping one for themselves for some other reason. There are a multitude of possible explanations the covenant can give to justify it and its still a super weird thing to get hung up on before we know the details.

If she is going to covenant school and having playdates with the other covenant kids or something like that than yeah I might see an issue too.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
1. Jackals always played fast and loose and not all Jackals were in the covenant, many were pirates before and after the Covenant brought them on board.

Yeah, considering we've seen big internal divisions and lots of political infighting within the Covenant in the canon, it's definitely not hard to imagine some it's some prophet's secret project to raise some human kid to push magic space buttons.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017

your relationship to halo is pure negative. lol holy crap. why even bother fueling that fire still?

yikes

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
your relationship to halo is pure negative. lol holy crap. why even bother fueling that fire still?

yikes

...What the hell are you talking about? I love Halo, I buy every book, nearly every game, and I made the lore OT both here and on the old forum. I have been wanting to play Halo Infinite every day since they announced it. I've been critical of 343i but generally have loved many of the things they have done in the universe.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
...What the hell are you talking about? I love Halo, I buy every book, nearly every game, and I made the lore OT both here and on the old forum. I have been wanting to play Halo Infinite every day since they announced it. I've been critical of 343i but generally have loved many of the things they have done in the universe.
well from that comment it appeared that you really hated halo and needed to express that vent.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Because I'm critical of this one thing I was looking forward for years? Man, your so off base right now it isn't even funny.
i didnt know you were looking forward to for years. lol i dont even know your post history except what i see in this converation and thread - more specifically what i quoted lol. but okay LOL the anger rises again!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
i didnt know you were looking forward to for years. lol i dont even know your post history except what i see in this converation and thread - more specifically what i quoted lol. but okay LOL the anger rises again!

...Then don't assume. You made a huge judgement based on one discussion and then got defensive when I told you it wasn't true.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
...Then don't assume. You made a huge judgement based on one discussion and then got defensive when I told you it wasn't true.
This convo is about the show. You have expressed your anger toward it. I replied and then you tried to justify it by calling it "criticism" because you bought x, y, z ... and that your opinion of being angry is more right than others ?? because of your personal investment in halo??

I guess I'm defensive? Idk ? about what? Being off base? Idk what that really even means in this conversation but I really don't care. I just wanted to highlight your anger you have over a show that isn't even out yet. Lol

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
This convo is about the show. You have expressed your anger toward it. I replied and then you tried to justify it by calling it "criticism" because you bought x, y, z ... and that your opinion of being angry is more right than others ?? because of your personal investment in halo??

I guess I'm defensive? Idk ? about what? Being off base? Idk what that really even means in this conversation but I really don't care. I just wanted to highlight your anger you have over a show that isn't even out yet. Lol

When did I say that my opinion was more right than others? If you can quote me somewhere of me saying that, then please do as I literally never said once that was the case.

The only reason why I brought up my investment in the series is because you described my relationship to Halo as being "pure negative" because I happened to criticize this one thing.

Also should there simply no criticism? Should a product need to be out before one can say anything bad about it?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, maybe wait to see the particular implementation to get angry about it? We have super vague plot details and casting. Basically, nothing.

I was starting to feel like this was never gonna happen. Again.

For a second there I was bummed that this show isn't considered canon but then I thought, "what even is the Halo canon?".

"not as deep as some people would have you think"

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Really interested in seeing production shots and the first look of how Chief and Cortana will look as well as the Covenant.

Hope they use marty's music!!

He tweeted a while back about meeting old friends from Microsoft or something and my theory is he's working on the TV into theme.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
At the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena, Showtime revealed the first image of Halo star Pablo Schreiber wearing Master Chief's iconic armor. The only bad news is... the photo won't be shown to the public, for now.

Showtime's President of Entertainment, Gary Levine, revealed the behind-closed-doors image, and we're happy to report that Master Chief looks fantastic. Levine assured everyone that Schreiber was indeed the man behind the Chief's helmet in the costume rather than a stuntman (speculation that also plagued Pedro Pascal in The Mandalorian). The photo shows Chief seated alone on a ship. Everything from Schreiber's detailed costume to the inside of the vessel feels very authentic to the Halo video game franchise.

Give it!!!!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
While still skeptical about the show... Hopefully the budget is within Expanse range at minimum.

Happy to hear that the armor and ship (interior) looks good. Wish we would see it. :(

Oct 25, 2017
I have to keep reminding myself this is disconnected from the current games and canon.
I still think thats a bad idea, but looking forward to it anyway.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Whats the time period is this anyway? Does my boy chief get to have shields?

He shouldn't since shielding wasn't implemented until the Mark V in 2551. Only Red Team did some prototype shielding before that.

Though this isn't canon to the games so they could change it so they can use the iconic shield sounds.