• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: To clarify for people: Yes, 343 has said they want to support Infinite for a decade (go figure, considering the game's name), but we did not know for sure if it meant additional campaigns or not. This is the first time they've specifically mentioned additional campaigns. Prior to this, it could've meant adding new story content to the multiplayer (like CoD does), a different mode similar to Spartan Ops, etc. This is the first confirmation of extra campaign content specifically.

Anyway, here's the original post:

E7kKsASWEAQq-51

Not all that surprising considering 343 has said they want Infinite to last for a decade, but still nice to see some confirmation that they plan to keep the story going through additional campaigns as opposed to something else.

Also, beware: people have datamined spoilers for the game from the Insider build, including achievement names, campaign mission names, campaign objectives, and seemingly story details for the entire game. Do not discuss those in this thread, with or without spoiler tags. This thread is not meant for discussion about them. I'm only mentioning it here so people know to be wary of spoilers.

Last edited:

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So...where one could find those spoilers?

EDIT: nvm, found them.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely recall them saying they were designing Halo as an ongoing service type game and that there wouldn't be a "new" Halo game after that for a long time.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like they talked about this before.
They've mentioned wanting to support Infinite for a decade, but as far as I know, they didn't explain what exactly that would entail:

www.ign.com

Halo Infinite 2 Won't Be Happening, Says 343 Industries - IGN

Don’t expect a Halo 7 – at least not through the traditional means.

"Halo Infinite is the start of our platform for the future," he said. "We want Infinite to grow over time, versus going to those numbered titles and having all that segmentation that we had before. It's really about creating Halo Infinite as the start of the next ten years for Halo and then building that as we go with our fans and community."

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds great - I also wonder if they will integrate the Master Chief collection in some fashion so you have everything under one roof.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Also, beware: people have datamined spoilers for the game from the Insider build, including achievement names, campaign mission names, campaign objectives, and seemingly story details for the entire game. Do not discuss those in this thread, with or without spoiler tags. This thread is not meant for discussion about them. I'm only mentioning it here so people know to be wary of spoilers.

Every single time something like this releases it gets datamined. Nowadays people just cant be surprised by anything and let it happen when it releases.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
There is very definitely going to be SP/co-op/PvPvE content using MP Spartans. It's the perfect hook to keep people on the platform after the main campaign.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Honestly perfectly down for that. The gameplay in the technical test is amazing and might honestly be my favorite in a halo game and I also really love Halo, so new story campaigns without the devs needing to make a whole ass new game with new and different gameplay mechanics sounds like an amazing idea to me honestly, especially if they want Infinite to be around for 10+ years. As long as the story and campaign in the base game is a decent length and quality for a Halo game I'll be happy with this

I honestly expect the same thing for the next Gears of War game as well honestly, where Gears 6 is the last Gears game for a while but there will still be multiple expansions both for the multiplayer and for the campaign.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Im mixed on it, cool to support long term but I highly doubt they will support it over a decade plus the amount of upgrades they will need to do as the new generation goes on to compete

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Campaign 1: Master Chief
Campaign 2: Arbiter
Campaign 3: Spartan Locke
Campaign 4: Buck !

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
I coulda swore they've mentioned this before somewhere. It's good news nonetheless. Hopefully we get something akin to Spartan Ops in the future.

Sounds great - I also wonder if they will integrate the Master Chief collection in some fashion so you have everything under one roof.
I doubt they'll do that. They didn't want to add Halo 5 to MCC because they thought it would be difficult to tie all of the engines together. I believe they've spoken on that before

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I think there will be Chief's campaign and also your MP character's campaign at least.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I think folks speculating we'll see a coop, Destiny-like experience are probably right. I also wouldn't be surprised if we get smaller single player experiences that appeal to the core Halo fanbase - say, an ODST 2 (or something along those lines.)

You'd then see guns and equipment from those campaigns bleed into the F2P multiplayer suite.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I coulda swore they've mentioned this before somewhere. It's good news nonetheless. Hopefully we get something akin to Spartan Ops in the future.

I doubt they'll do that. They didn't want to add Halo 5 to MCC because they thought it would be difficult to tie all of the engines together. I believe they've spoken on that before

A shame but understandable!

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be cool if they use this as an opportunity to release more side-campaigns that are different from what you'd normally expect from Halo. Stuff like ODST, for example.

We knew this. Infinite is supposed to be a platform going forward.
Again: we did not know for sure if it meant additional campaigns or not. They said they want to add to it for the next decade, but this is the first time they've specifically mentioned additional campaigns. Prior to this, it could've meant adding story content to the multiplayer (like CoD does), a different mode similar to Spartan Ops, etc. This is the first confirmation of extra campaign content.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Fully expect like Destiny now campaigns for Halo Infinite.
They all we have special names like Halo Infinite MP does also. Season 1 is called "Heroes of Reach" or Noble Sacrifice" One is old one is new. Or otherway arround

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
They've already hinted at a campaign with your multiplayer Spartan and honestly it makes a huge amount of sense. Take the best of Reach with regards to player customisation and campaign and merge that with a Master Chief universe. I expect the Chief to go on a hiatus after the Infinite campaign and the player to step in in finding / saving him in future campaigns.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
I wonder if they'll charge for them.

I'd be very cool with paying 30-40 dollars for a campaign every 5-6 months depending on how I like the base game.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Basically guaranteed. If this game is supposed to last "10 years" I expect multiple expansions in the campaign over time.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
They've already hinted at a campaign with your multiplayer Spartan and honestly it makes a huge amount of sense. Take the best of Reach with regards to player customisation and campaign and merge that with a Master Chief universe. I expect the Chief to go on a hiatus after the Infinite campaign and the player to step in in finding / saving him in future campaigns.
Yeah could work. Also gives that "trying to find the legend" feeling that was the idea of Halo 5. Offcourse not with Chief being bad.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Really love the idea of getting a new campaign mission every month or so, and talking about it with everyone. They can make it like Spartan Ops but good :)

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
We already knew this.

I remember them saying that Infinite is more of a cog that will host/drive future halo content going forward.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Fingers crossed for an ODST campaign.

Anyone got the datamined information without the campaign story spoilers? Main thing I'd like to know are a list of weapons that are in the game.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
im not imagining it,. 343 definitely said they plan on Infinite hosting Halo content going forward.
Again: we did not know for sure if it meant additional campaigns or not. They said they want to add to it for the next decade, but this is the first time they've specifically mentioned additional campaigns. Prior to this, it could've meant adding story content to the multiplayer (like CoD does), a different mode similar to Spartan Ops, etc. This is the first confirmation of extra campaign content.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes the "platform". To last "10 years!". My dream of current gen Halo being an engine that was built to run on 2013 hardware. I know it was made with the Series X/S in mind but it was also made to run on the OG Xbox One being the forefront of whete people are mostly gonna be playing Infinite. Which then makes me think in the long run will it be the most utilized and be able to take the most advantage out of the new consoles and graphic cards?

Like it's just funny no one has been able to get there live service to last that many years, even Bungie's Destiny had switch it's whole model to F2P and as we know it ending on Destiny 2 with that 10 year support probably a long reformatted. Live services are not MMOs do not have the content nor player bases to sustain that longevity, and I highly doubt 343 will be getting us dedicated campaigns and MP expansions to last a decade on Infinite. It's gonna age over time, and hell even comparing to Destiny's expansions, there campaigns were so loosely veiled area rebrandings with a character telling the story in your ear as you barely get any gameplay mix-ups or set pieces just the same plowing through ads to stop bosses.

So I'm guessing became MP is F2P and is popular they could get that going for a couple years, but continuous campaign expansions to me sound like they will be either compromised or half baked if they're given let's say yearly constraints and are not given proper development time over a couple years to craft. I could be wrong though but a Halo campaign should be treated like an event and I don't think it suits the live service model very well at all if it's not given the proper development time and resources.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
It'll be cool if they use this as an opportunity to release more side-campaigns that are different from what you'd normally expect from Halo. Stuff like ODST, for example.

What's the actual alternative to adding campaigns if this is a 10 year platform though?

Either:
- We go an entire decade without any new campaigns, just PvP lore or SpOps-style missions
- They continue to release full, separate Halo titles with their own camps ALONGSIDE Infinite
- They add more campaigns to Infinite.

Only one of those seems plausible/reasonable.