• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

samurai1226

Dec 11, 2017
no, it isn't at all.

and why should it be?

and does "isn't like CoD" now tantamount to "is precisely like H1-H3"?

the gulf in logic just keeps growing...
Someone is saying the gameplay evolved from Halo to CoD and he get's a lot of hate for that. So of course you should ask if Halo 5 is closer to Classic Halo or CoD.

No matter if you think H5 is a good game or not. The gameplay clearly went pretty far away from the classic experience by adding the whole modern fps movement set and things like ironsight.

OP
OP
jem

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Someone is saying the gameplay evolved from Halo to CoD and he get's a lot of hate for that. So of course you should ask if Halo 5 is closer to Classic Halo or CoD.

No matter if you think H5 is a good game or not. The gameplay clearly went pretty far away from the classic experience by adding the whole modern fps movement set and things like ironsight.
Alright I'll ask you too, have you played more than 10 minutes of H5?

Smartscope makes fuck all difference to the gameplay.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you think Halo 5 gameplay is pretty similiar to H1-H3?

The comparison is cod. If you want to have a conversation about how Halos have changed over the years that's fair game. It has definitely changed. But it doesn't play like cod. Which was the original argument. And halos zoom/smartlink/ads doesn't snap to target and isn't the same thing at all. Ultimately it's a control schema.

A bigger difference is that zoom is a unified trigger feature- not in and of itself a new or fundamentally changed game mechanic. It's ok to not like it but it's not "ads"

Personally I don't think halo plays even remotely like cod and encounters in halo are still distinctly recoverable jousts- which IMO is the most reductive description- but apt. I love cod but it's a wholly different feel, pace and technique

I'm not arguing against your opinion just recalibrating the original comparison

samurai1226

Dec 11, 2017
You should know that smartscope has hardly any effect on how the game plays then.
It changes a lot. Your weapons have way more accuracy when zoomed, especially the automatics. Other weapons like shotgun or the sword have a way higher killrange when zoomed. So you basically have to use it on most weapons. Also you are losing your radar when zoomed and you view gets closer to the weapon, so you are losing your awareness for the environment.

The comparison is cod. If you want to have a conversation about how Halos have changed over the years that's fair game. It has definitely changed. But it doesn't play like cod. Which was the original argument. And halos zoom/smartlink/ads doesn't snap to target and isn't the same thing at all. Ultimately it's a control schema.

A bigger difference is that zoom is a unified trigger feature- not in and of itself a new or fundamentally changed game mechanic. It's ok to not like it but it's not "ads"

Personally I don't think halo plays even remotely like cod and encounters in halo are still distinctly recoverable jousts- which IMO is the most reductive description- but apt. I love cod but it's a wholly different feel, pace and technique

I'm not arguing against your opinion just recalibrating the original comparison
While I don't think Halo plays exactly like CoD, I totally understand if players think that Halo plays more like CoD than older installments.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It changes a lot. Your weapons have way more accuracy when zoomed, especially the automatics. Other weapons like shotgun or the sword have a way higher killrange when zoomed. So you basically have to use it on most weapons. Also you are losing your radar when zoomed and you view gets closer to the weapon, so you are losing your awareness for the environment.

Zoom has always affected weapons behavior and accuracy to greater or lesser extent- and varies by device and game iteration

Hey why was curiouscharles banned?

OP
OP
jem

jem

Oct 25, 2017
So to summarize your post in actual effects on how the game plays:

It provides an increase to the effective range for a selection of weapons.

Which is exactly what zoom has always done with Halo. The only gameplay difference between classic zoom and smartscope is that they've added zoom to the rest of the weapon set rather than just precision weapons which translates to: 'Automatic weapons have a higher effective range than they used to'.

You're not forced to use smartscope anymore than you were forced to use zoom in previous games.

Zoom has always affected weapons behavior and accuracy to greater or lesser extent- and varies by device and game iteration

Hey why was curiouscharles banned?

Different thread.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

While I don't think Halo plays exactly like CoD, I totally understand if players think that Halo plays more like CoD than older installments.

I've been playing since launch and hardly ever use smart scope . Only sometimes with the DMR at longer distances.

samurai1226

Dec 11, 2017
That's true, but older Halos only had a few weapons with zoom. In H5 every weapon has an advantage when zoomed. So in older titles you only zoomed in for long distance battles. Now you have to zoom in with CQC weapons too

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
I mean that is still a picture of balloons before the event started and the far side of the spillover tent. We're really excited about our relationship with MLG and what it means for the present and the future and there were loads of things we wish we'd done better during that event but these pictures are still silly.

I am hoping Key Arena for the championships? :D (Or CenturyLink Field Center?)

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am referring to how the gameplay of Halo MP has been turned into this run and gun horrible arcadey shooter with a huge COD feel to it to fit into this MLG market, when it never used to be that way, its just to be Halo.

doc-rivers.gif

Raigan-etc

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
London, UK
Genuinely curious, have you played more than 10 minutes of H5?
If anything Halo has moved away from a run&gun towards a CODish run or gun shooter making it less suitable for the mlg market- a market that halo built.

Anyway, this partnership is great news and I hope it signals 343 will continue to look at past successes for inspiration.
not sure if serious?
how again does halo 5 feel like COD? isnt halo an arcadey shooter? you got space soldiers fighting aliens shooting blue/green plasma and pink needles...
Halo feels like COD to you? And you have to run with guns you say?

Note: I have now exceeded my doctor recommended number of replies to negative posts. Probably bandwidth cap too thanks to Ajit Pai.

Lol, i see the Halo defense force is out this evening.

Ive played Halo since the CE on Xbox and from H4 onwards the game has fallen out of favour with fans big time and one of the reasons is the game play on MP from H4 on wards was changed to a more fast paced run and gun gameplay to fit in with the MLG type COD shooters, very fast, small arenas etc.

Halo had a very unique gameplay and it appears to be lost on the new instalments.

For the record i played lots of Halo 4 and was dissapointed.

When i saw it was more of the same in H5 i didnt waste my time with it.

I put more effort into Halo MCC.............. which 343 really FUBAR

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest issue with Halo 5 is that at times it is too fast paced. It creates a gameplay environment that leaves you little time to react to unexpected encounters. Let alone with poor map design and sprint you can be killed from one side of a map, respawn on the otherside and get picked off within 10 seconds by the same players.

Spartan Abilities need to be rebalanced and map design needs to improve alot.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I am referring to how the gameplay of Halo MP has been turned into this run and gun horrible arcadey shooter with a huge COD feel to it to fit into this MLG market, when it never used to be that way, its just to be Halo.
What am I reading?
So you think Halo 5 gameplay is pretty similiar to H1-H3?
Pretty similar to Halo 2 for sure. Halo 3 is probably the oddest one out between CE, 2, 3, and 5.

OP
OP
jem

jem

Oct 25, 2017

Ive played Halo since the CE on Xbox and from H4 onwards the game has fallen out of favour with fans big time and one of the reasons is the game play on MP from H4 on wards was changed to a more fast paced run and gun gameplay to fit in with the MLG type COD shooters, very fast, small arenas etc.

Halo had a very unique gameplay and it appears to be lost on the new instalments.

So no?

Also I'm guessing you didn't know that MLG started with Halo. Like, Halo is the original MLG type shooter.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Some one makes a counter to your argument - "LOL DEFENSE FORCE IS HERE"

Look dude, a lot of us have played Halo since CE. It's one thing to say Halo has become a CoD-clone or has become "CoD feel". Frankly, thats just bullshit. You might've played Halo, but have you played CoD? Serious question. The gunplay in both games so different. CoD is more like a twitch shooter imo. The aim assist is huge, and usually if you see a person first they're done. Then some of the CoD games have mechanics like quick scoping, etc. The gunplay is very different.

Yes, Halo has taken inspiration from modern shooters, especially Call of Duty with things like sprinting. But arena-like maps have always been in the game: see Wizard, Prisoner, etc. And even tho the TTK is fast, the gunplay is still unique to Halo imo.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yup pretty much, to me the gameplay of Halo 5 is the worst out of any Halo game by quite a significant margin, they took good gameplay in the previous halo games and made it worst, I even enjoyed Halo 5 gameplay more in the beta for it than the full game.

samurai1226

Dec 11, 2017
It's fine when you think Halo 5 is great the way it is. Have fun with it. But I think it's important to understand that a lof of players felt the gameplay of older Halo games is lost in the new installments through all these "modern fps features". And that does not need some strange questions like did you even play Halo 5.

I want to quote Ryan Darcey again, who said: "We've got a vocal very dedicated fanbase that is extremely important to 343 in the franchise. We can't change Halo so much that these players feel like strangers to the game."
People feel that H5 is not Halo anymorefor them. Of course it still can be Halo to others, but we have this huge part of the community with big voices like The Act Man, Favyn, Latenightgaming, etc that got the feeling that Halo is evolving into a direction that is closer to the modern fps standard than being like classic Halo titles.
I don't want to defend Raigan-etc here, he is obviously a bit of a troll here. But I believe that acknowledging that a lot of people feel that the game became closer to CoD (not identical, but closer) than they like is important for the future of the franchise.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup pretty much, to me the gameplay of Halo 5 is the worst out of any Halo game by quite a significant margin, they took good gameplay in the previous halo games and made it worst, I even enjoyed Halo 5 gameplay more in the beta for it than the full game.
How you can argue Halo 5 has worse gameplay than Reach and 4 is baffling. Halo 3's gunplay is also the worst in the series.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brilliant news. I don't watch a lot of esports but Halo is one of about three or four that I do and I don't think anyone can deny the last twelve or eighteen months have been tough on the games image. Funny to think its going back to its roots with the MLG partnership and I think that can only be good for the brand as a whole.

Now spill the beans on that Halo 6 goodness :)

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
but we have this huge part of the community with big voices like The Act Man, Favyn, Latenightgaming, etc that got the feeling that Halo is evolving into a direction that is closer to the modern fps standard than being like classic Halo titles.
I've been playing/following Halo since 2001 and I don't know who any of those people are. I doubt they are going to throw away the gameplay of Halo 5 that was so overwhelmingly praised by their fans in favor of a small minority who they are already trying to serve with the continued investment in fixing the Master Chief Collection issues.

Not even close, They were significantly better than Halo 5's and still stand up much better than it to this day.
Bad Halo opinions are so viscerally upsetting to me.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Not even close, They were significantly better than Halo 5's and still stand up much better than it to this day.
Did you play a lot of Reach or 4? I certainly don't consider Halo 5 to be the best game in the series. But come on. You would rather go back to armor lock and bloom?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
this all sounds so great!

now we just need some more content. come on forge maps, i know 343 has been working on performance - its gotta be for this...

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Again a MS/Halo thread turns into a shitshow. Some people have no shame and should go back to the old forum. We have finally a great option to "reset" and make it better for everyone but some people yet want to stick to the old ways. If i am honest please bugger off then.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It somehow feels just right MLG is back with Halo again.

Again a MS/Halo thread turns into a shitshow. Some people have no shame and should go back to the old forum. We have finally a great option to "reset" and make it better for everyone but some people yet want to stick to the old ways. If i am honest please bugger off then.
+1
It's such a shit show. Tired of reading the same stuff over and over again.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't watched competitive Halo in a while. I'll definitely check this stuff out to see how it looks in comparison to what 343 has been doing till now. Should be interesting.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that is still a picture of balloons before the event started and the far side of the spillover tent. We're really excited about our relationship with MLG and what it means for the present and the future and there were loads of things we wish we'd done better during that event but these pictures are still silly.
can i crash at your pad for worlds? i'll bring some beer (and even share)!

OP
OP
jem

jem

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine when you think Halo 5 is great the way it is. Have fun with it. But I think it's important to understand that a lof of players felt the gameplay of older Halo games is lost in the new installments through all these "modern fps features". And that does not need some strange questions like did you even play Halo 5.

Is it?

Frankly it has absolutely nothing to do the topic at hand.
I don't want to defend Raigan-etc here, he is obviously a bit of a troll here.
Be honest, you didn't exactly join this thread with the greatest of intentions either...

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

I'm no defense force. I call it how it is. CE-3 were run&gun shooters. Halo at its core is an arena-like shooter (quake, unreal, etc).

MLG was built on HaloCE-3. So the idea that Halo changed to be more like MLG-type shooter doesn't make a lick of sense.

I agree that Halo is, unfortunately, chasing trends popularized by COD- like sprint. But I disagree that it's becoming a Run&Gun shooter. It stopped being that with Reach.

Halo needs to go BACK to being a run&gun shooter, IMO, which is the time period when it was the most competitively viable (mlg).

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's cool and all, but I really hope Halo 6 doesn't double down on the whole MLG/esports side of things at the expense of single-player and co-op. I'm over here hoping Halo 6 has an ongoing world like Destiny or WoW or something, so this esports stuff makes me think maybe 343 is on another wavelength.

Link1201

Oct 28, 2017
I'm kinda excited about this. I don't follow the pro scene much but will watch here and there hopefully the quality improves with them going back to mlg.