• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Glad to see the Halo community get something. Too bad it was the resurrection of MLG.

This definitely isn't the resurrection of MLG.

More like the MLG partnership is the resurrection of the Halo esports scene.

Just hope they don't add any more games to their events. If they want to run Halo that's fine, but I don't want to see them fuck any other scenes over like they did in the past.

Oct 31, 2017
Ogre1/2 and Ghandi still active or no?

None of those guys play. OGRE1 has been gone for years I think, and OGRE2 dabbled in H5 some at the onset, then he hopped onto the Evil Geniuses roster for HWC17(?), then became their coach. EG formally dissolved their Halo team just a few weeks ago, so it's hard to say whether he'll be involved in any capacity next year.

Gandhi is a game dev I think who works on Smite, if I'm not mistaken.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None of those guys play. OGRE1 has been gone for years I think, and OGRE2 dabbled in H5 some at the onset, then he hopped onto the Evil Geniuses roster for HWC17(?), then became their coach. EG formally dissolved their Halo team just a few weeks ago, so it's hard to say whether he'll be involved in any capacity next year.

Gandhi is a game dev I think who works on Smite, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the update man, sad to see them go.

Glad to see that Ghandi and Ogre2 are doing stuff.

Wimps

Oct 27, 2017
Chris Puckett still runs MLG right? Curious about how the old H3 pros are doing as well.

Haven't seen competitive halo till.... MLG Vegas in 08 or something?

Edit: read some bad stuff about T2 unfortunately. Apparently he did some time for dealing that Adderal thing.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 31, 2017
Did nv fold after snother epic breakdown last season?

Yes I think so, more or less. Huke went to CoD and I think there were rumors that Pistola left the team, so I do think their roster will either be fully dissolved or two of the three remaining guys stick together. I think the roster shakeups overall will be pretty massive. I think the speculation is that Liquid might also be leaving the scene too.

BTM

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hype. Didn't get into competitive Halo really until Halo 5, but it's damn entertaining to watch. MLG should definitely be a step up from ESL.

samurai1226

Dec 11, 2017
Is it?

Frankly it has absolutely nothing to do the topic at hand.
You can of course think it's the best mp game this gen or the best competitive game in the last two years. But when the playercount of H5 even with the free GWG copy on xbox are totally lacking behind RS:Siege & Black Ops 3 (both released at the same time as H5) and The Division & Overwatch (both release about 6 months after H5) you can't act like the game is doing totally fine and only a handful of people think it's just not as good as Halo was back then.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love to slow aim across the map with a garbage starting load out accompanied by some of Bungie's garbage maps

But hey friends!!!! Forge!!!!!! Big team!!!!

Halo 3 romantics lol.
Not even Halo 3 romantics, I've went back and played all the halo games after 5 because of how much I disliked everything about 5 and I think any of the other halo games are just more fun to play and hold up way better than 5 does. I think Halo 5 is a bad game, one of my biggest dissapointments in a long long time.

samurai1226

Dec 11, 2017
Bungie's garbage maps
9de.gif

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

Do you have a genuine argument to contest the idea that the original maps launched with Halo 3 were poorly designed to the point of ultimately being rotated out for the Maps seen in Mythic

Guardian, Epilogue, Valhalla, Sandtrap, Pitstop all possess nonsensical weapon and equipment spawning that hinders the layouts of otherwise decent map setups, Pitstop specficially with it's Power Weapon choices (an e-sword AND overshield above and below each other lmfao), and Guardian's silly chokes and tight corners favoring the shotgun usage over rifle exposure. Add the rest of the mediocre maps provided in H3 like Isolation and Snowbound, then you're left with Narrows and a H2 remake being the only """good"" Launch maps

Not to mention the bloated sandbox with dual wielding mistakes never learned from 2, the introduction of equipment (bubble shield and emp) being much more favorable to use compared to power ups and the obvious mistakes with the BR and, to me, you have come together with a bad product

I may not like H5's silly ass automatics balancing, the garbage maps, the smart scope, or Sprint but at least there's a bit of common Sense to be had with going over the default/HCS weapon layouts and the overall control of the game

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i think most would agree that bungie's halo maps were, for the most part, better than what we've gotten from 343.

OP
OP
jem

jem

Oct 25, 2017
You can of course think it's the best mp game this gen or the best competitive game in the last two years. But when the playercount of H5 even with the free GWG copy on xbox are totally lacking behind RS:Siege & Black Ops 3 (both released at the same time as H5) and The Division & Overwatch (both release about 6 months after H5) you can't act like the game is doing totally fine and only a handful of people think it's just not as good as Halo was back then.
Okay.

What does that have to do with tournament details and the announcement of an MLG partnership?

samurai1226

Dec 11, 2017
What does that have to do with tournament details and the announcement of an MLG partnership?
For a healthy esport environment you need a healthy playerbase and a stable game balance. Do you think MLG will attract millions of players? Having the developer pulling away the championship playlist and suddently change starting weapons and do strong retuning of weapons (before bringing back the playlist and retune the BR again because of backlash) is also not a good starting point for "the best competitive game" on the market. Also we have the big thing where pro teams are disatisfied with how the game and their feedback is treated for esport, there's a huge video of RUL about hat. I like to see what MLG is doing, but I don't think acting like it's the best game out there is helping the franchise become big again.

I'm a huge Halo fan, I would love to see it become one of the biggest xbox franchises again. But I see that some H5 fans can't acknowledge that the Halo franchise, including the esport part, is not in the shape it should be because it has its flaws that needs to be fixed for the next installment. But when even Frankie is calling out people who think H5 went into the wrong direction, seems like there is no hope to see a step back from the modern fps type of gameplay in Halo.

OP
OP
jem

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I think the MLG announcement is going to have a bigger effect than you think.

Halo was trending for some last night with 32k tweets. That's a lot.

Also, the issues regarding starting weapons have been resolved and the majority of issues the pros have raised in the past have been addressed with the latest announcement.

All that said, discussions regarding Halo 5's gameplay really don't have anything to do with the topic at hand. There's a dedicated OT for complaining about the game.

Deleted member 2563

User-requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Don't understand why people think a thread relating to Halo pro scene details is inviting them to come in and say how Halo tanked and is a bad game..

Chris Puckett still runs MLG right? Curious about how the old H3 pros are doing as well.

Haven't seen competitive halo till.... MLG Vegas in 08 or something?

Edit: read some bad stuff about T2 unfortunately. Apparently he did some time for dealing that Adderal thing.
Lol, T2 casts for H5 regularly and owns the Str8 Rippin pro team.