• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
Moon
329994.jpg

Hamako Mori was born in 1930 and recently became 89; Her main hobby outside of gaming were swimming, ranking even second at the Japanese Nationals back then, and she's kept that sport going until she reached the age of 80. She's been uploading videos to YouTube since 2014, under the name of "Gamer Grandma".

In an interview with Game Spark, she shared some advice for fellow aging gamers: Get into games as early as you can and stick with them, because games can be a lifelong hobby.

She's been gaming since 1981, when the カセットビジョン (Cassette Vision) released, the at-the-time most successful console in Japan, before Nintendo hit the market with the Famicom, which she also had - she's been playing for 38 years; longer than most video game players have even been alive! She loved games such the "The Legend of Zelda" and "Dragon Quest", and also played a lot on the PC-Engine - known in the USA as the TurboGrafix-16 - games such as "Jaseiken Necromancer" and "J.J and Jeff" from Hudson Soft.

She's also got fond memories of gaming in the 90s, "Resident Evil" especially struck out to her with the sense of fear in conveyed and its graphics and storytelling. She also enjoyed "Final Fantasy" and "Ocarina of Time" a lot. (She doesn't say which FF, so I'm not sure whether it's in reference of the series or a specific game that released at the time.)

Recently, she was very fond "The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim", which she was as enamoured by as she was with the original "Resident Evil."

After being asked about why she's enjoying games popular with gamers such as "Days Gone", she says that it feels like experiencting a movie, and that it's graphics are amazing. It felt like she's actually there and that she's happy she got to live to play it.

"When you're young, you may be too busy to find time to play games, but if you start early and keep at it, then you'll have no problem with playing even when you're old. You won't be able to continue with fashion or sports as a hobby when you're older, but games are good because they're comfortable.0

"Also, this is just my pet theory, but games are good for keeping your mind active. When thinking of playing a game, I learn how to play them and what they're about. I even kept memos. Ultimately, that was a good thing, because you generally stop doing that sort of thing when you get older."

Mori had one caveat: as you get older, it's better to play single player games rather than multiplayer games. You don't want to slow down the younger players. "However, as gamers get older, it may come to a point where servers are created specifically for older people."

She's currently looking forward to "The Elder Scrolls VI", and hopes to see a new "Grand Theft Auto" released soon.

Currently, she's got 37'000 subscribes. You can watch her at her YouTube channel, GamerGrandma. She's currently playing GTA5, Days Gone and just started up Borderlands 3.

329993.jpg

Source: GameSpark, ANN

Last edited:

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched some videos and in some of those games she's better than me lol.

I believe with this generation, you'll see a lot more people in their senior ages still playing video games. It is cool to see older people now though embracing video games especially her seeing as she's loved them almost from the very beginning.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is cool.

I had a gamer grandma (RIP). She bought a Sega Master System and Game Gear for herself and played games like Shinobi, Rastan, Gangster Town, Pac-Man, and The Majors: Pro Baseball.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I always wondered how feasible this hobby would be at advanced ages, so it's nice to see folks like this still going strong. I can only imagine stuff like video games being a big boon to aging brains.

Khaos Prime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember "Old Grandma Hardcore". She was the first elderly gamer I ever heard about.
Wonder what happened to her.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I immediately saw about Hamako's age, I was immediately reminded of Shirley. Really always nice to see older people be able to have a passion for gaming, regardless if they discovered it earlier or when they were older. This is really cool.

Definitely gonna check out her stuff.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I remember "Old Grandma Hardcore". She was the first elderly gamer I ever heard about.
Wonder what happened to her.
Poor innocent me just made the big mistake to image search "Old Grandma Hardcore"... Why? WHYYYY!?!? I just wanted to know who this gamer lady was, goddamnit.
You should search for that in Google and maybe you will find out

This is art