• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

note.com

「ファタモル、メタスコア100になったってよ」…で、なにが起きたの?|縹けいか

前置き  私のチームが開発した「ファタモルガーナの館」というノベルゲームのSwitch版が、欧米で4/9にリリースされました。その作品が大変な評価をいただき、一時期メタスコアが100という異常値を叩き出しました。今(記事執筆時点)は98です。  メタスコアとはMetacriticという、各メディアのレビュー点数の集合値を出してくれるサイトで、海外ではこの点数が「そのゲームの面白さ」として参考にされやすいです。日本でもゲーマーの方々なら目にしたことがあると思います。このスコアの信憑性やMetacriticの詳しいことについてはここでは書きませんので、他のところをご参照いただければと思い

Hanada Keika, the writer/director of The House in Fata Morgana, has written a blog post about the experience of a niche game receiving a rare score of 100 on metacritic, as well as about the game's performance on switch. the post is in japanese so i used DeepL to read it, thought it was pretty interesting. highlights:

The Switch version of a novel game developed by my team called "Fata Morgana no Yakata" was released in the West on April 9th. The game was very well-received, and at one point, the Metascore hit an extraordinary 100. Now (at the time of writing), the score is 98.

The Metascore has a media score and a user score, and it is the media score that gave Fata Morgana a temporary score of 100. And this score can only be recorded if there are at least seven media reviews. This means that seven media outlets gave us 100 in a row.
First of all, of course, the user scores were all over the place. Apparently, the first game to receive a Metascore of 100 was "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time". [OoT actually is at 99] Ocarina of Time, it's a goddamn game. And now that the visual novel is in the same league, gamers overseas are furious and there seems to be a bit of controversy. In addition, it was ranked above Breath of the Wild, one of the recent super god games (Brewai is 97). Brewai, seriously, it's a god game, right? Well, that makes me angry...

I don't have a deep knowledge of foreign game culture, and I don't speak English fluently (I read and write a little more than normal), so I can't explain in detail what all the fuss is about, but I can understand why people are upset.
Naturally, the games with the highest Metascores, including Brewai, have the support of many gamers, and the number of reviews, both media and users, is huge. I don't think it's fair to put them in the same category as a doujin game that received seven (now eight) media reviews, but the way the Metacritic site looks, it's right up there with those big games. You're telling me that a paperback game is better than Brewie! You've got to be kidding me! You can't help but be angry about that.

When a game that everyone appreciates and everyone recognizes as a god game and a visual novel that is popular among a certain segment of the population are placed side by side (or even on top of each other), you would think that this is not normal.
I don't want to argue about whether visual novels are games or not, but I think there may be a point to be made. I think visual novels are a wonderful medium of expression, and I don't think we should look down on them just because they are visual novels, but it is true that there are fewer places to judge them as criticism than other games.

With the eighth media giving it an 80, Fata Morgana now has a score of 98. I think 80 is a high enough score, However, even though the Metacritic score is outrageous, the game is for a niche audience, the market is different, the scale of development is very different, and everyone knows it's not something to talk about on the same level.

But still, it can't be helped when the way Metacritic looks is like this. Even the developers think it's crazy.
picture_pc_72235f46135bk0f.png

Did anything change when you got a Metascore of 100 (now 98)? This is going to be felt differently by different people, but for me it has changed enough. Since the Metascore came out, Steam sales have increased and Switch sales have exceeded expectations. Still, both of these are overseas stories. Japan is still tough. Thank you to everyone who found this game and played it...

To give you a concrete figure, I think we sold about 20,000 copies in two months (Steam and Switch combined). I don't know if you're thinking, "That's it, we got a Metascore of 100? or "20,000 copies in two months is amazing for a visual novel! or "20,000 for two months is amazing for a visual novel!" I'll leave it to you to decide. Originally, I was thinking that if I could make enough money to pay for the development costs and run the project for a few months. To put it bluntly, I thought it would be 2,000 to 3,000 copies at best.

We didn't get this far on PS4, so I think Metacritic and the Switch have a lot to do with it. think we got lucky, and we're grateful, or rather, we were saved.
Fata Morgana has been highly praised as a doujin game in Japan, but it's not a successful market, and it's a game that only people in the know know know about. The subject matter is very heavy, and it's not an erotic game, otome game, or gal game, it's a strange visual novel. When the Switch version came out in Japan, someone muttered to me, "What kind of audience is this game aiming at?

I think that's how it is with doujin games, but when it's on the Switch, it's treated as a commercial game. It's difficult to have a strategy for the market.

Fata Morgana is a game that doesn't appeal to either the gal game or otome game crowd, so I felt that it didn't capture the masses. When I think back on the famous visual novels, it seems like they have one or the other as a foundation. There are also non-visual novel ADV games such as Ace Attorney, Danron, AI Somnium, and other mystery games that aim for the middle ground, but I don't think they have the mystery game feel to attract the masses.

However, overseas, both Ace Attorney and Danron mystery adventures and so-called regular visual novels are somehow all lumped together under the visual novel tag, so maybe the demographic isn't as divided as it is in Japan. I wonder if this is one of the reasons why they are so highly rated overseas, but I don't know the right answer. Please tell me.

Up until now, it's been difficult to make ends meet in Japan, let alone earn money for the next development, so I've been relying on Steam sales to make ends meet, subcontracting work to earn money for new games, and more recently, receiving support from everyone at Fanbox. However, if things continued as they were, it would be difficult to find the time to develop new games, and we could see that we were dying a slow death. We changed our plan so that we could obtain a large amount of money. (When we developed the game for Vita in Japan, the port was done by the client, so the royalty was a few percent. (When we released the game on Vita in Japan, the porting was done by the client, so the royalty was a few percent, but this was because the client paid for the voice acting and illustrations for the additional episodes.

Since it was a niche game and the sales ceiling was predictable, we had to create a framework that would allow us to get the maximum amount of funding within that framework. If we are going to continue developing games.

The above is an obvious point, but it was difficult to put it into practice. Completely in-house production also has its own risks.

I'm getting off track here, and this is a long story, so if I get a chance, I'd like to write about consumer development and overseas expansion with complete in-house production. It's been super...tough....
The launch of the Switch in Europe and the U.S. was delayed due to Corona, and we were in a very difficult situation, but in the end, the sales volume exceeded our expectations, and thanks to the in-house production, we were able to agree on good terms for royalties, so it was like we were "saved" or "saved our lives.

Thanks to this, I can now concentrate on my new work. I'm working hard on it now. Due to various reasons, I'm actually working on something other than the previously announced RPG (it's not that I'm canceling the production. I'll send out another announcement...! ), and I'm working on something that's not a visual novel.

I'll give you more information about the new work soon. I'm sorry to keep you waiting, but I won't just write a note and be done with it, so please give me some more time.
Conclusion on the Metascore of 100

As a developer, I can honestly say that I was saved, even though I felt intimidated by the excessive rating.

That's my conclusion.

Thank you Switch, thank you Metacritic, thank you LimitedRunGames, thank you reviewers and players, and thank you angry sisters and brothers .......

thanks to Taruranto for posting the article in another thread.

Astroroom

Aug 19, 2020
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. It's great that it allowed them the financial freedom to start on a new work.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This makes me very happy. It's one of those games that you know you'll love before even playing. Might try it out after Doki Doki.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what the new project that isnt NarKarma is.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see that the Switch port apparently saved them. I hope it'll give them more security for their next games.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Feels good to hear stories like this. I bought the game but have not gone through it yet

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to hear the game exceeded their expectations and apparently saved them.

It's nice to hear stories on that.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Love seeing stories where developers get saved from deserved success. I might get the game later down the road. Heard nothing but praise.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Heavily considering picking this up for after I finish The Silver Case as it's currently on sale on eshop. Great to see it's selling so well.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
It's kinda crazy how much the word of mouth was strong for this one lol

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I didn't expect they were on the verge of collapsing. I'm very glad the Switch did its magic for them.

It's so sad the success of such a brilliant and heartfelt story is hampered even in Japan because it doesn't pander to the right audiences. I don't want to get puritanical, I think there's a place for the more "typical" kind of VN from back in the day (it seems almost all had some kind of sexual content before the mid 2000s), but even so it saddens me that a mature story didn't sell well because it didn't have enough fan service.

I cna only hope the Switch version continues to have long legs. I did my part. (Still waiting for Limited Run Games to get me my copy though, dang).

This reminds me that I'd really like 428 Shibuya Scramble to come to Switch. It seems like a perfect fit. I hope it's not off the table simply because the PC and PS4 ports didn't sell enough..

Also, this is a random side note, but I'm kind of annoyed DeepL has seemingly gotten so good. I'm trying to get into developing a career as a translator and just having an automatic tool produce such a good result is troubling. I guess it's a good thing I'm also a computer science major (even if I enjoy that work less than translation).

Dopply

Nov 27, 2020
I've been an insufferable fan of this game since it was released over here in 2016. It makes me extremely happy to see it do so well. Can't wait to see his team's next story!

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Quite interesting stuff. From the way the dev's perspective on how Ace Attorney and Danganronpa are seen and how doujin games are a hard sell as a commercial product. I don't think that doujin games have ever gotten as much sales or reach as the indie games on the west.

Metacritic doesn't saves high profile releases but it can make a big effect on VNs with the right audience.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
He's too humble. The reason of why Fata deserves such scores is because it's perfection on its genre. It shouldn't be compared to BOTW, that's true.

Also, of note to me is how divided the market is in Japan. Danganronpa, Ace Attorney, Zero Escape, I play them all, however I have no interest in Otome or hentai.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
He's too humble. The reason of why Fata deserves such scores is because it's perfection on its genre. It shouldn't be compared to BOTW, that's true.

Also, of note to me is how divided the market is in Japan. Danganronpa, Ace Attorney, Zero Escape, I play them all, however I have no interest in Otome or hentai.
Yeah I agree (at least in terms of writing) it's the pinnacle. Could have more visual variety and voice acting but from a certain point of view I'm glad it doesn't. Let me come up with whatever voice fit, and it might be jarring to hear ones more (I know the epilogue has VO but I still haven't heard it).

Yeah it's kind of crazy how ironically all VNs seem to get perhaps more of a boost here since there isn't discrimination of whether it fits enough of a niche. I would've bet every VN did better in Japan but it sounds like FM has done much better in the west, which is crazy.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Wish I could play this but it's not available in Brazil for some reason :(

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I agree (at least in terms of writing) it's the pinnacle. Could have more visual variety and voice acting but from a certain point of view I'm glad it doesn't. Let me come up with whatever voice fit, and it might be jarring to hear ones more (I know the epilogue has VO but I still haven't heard it).

Yeah it's kind of crazy how ironically all VNs seem to get perhaps more of a boost here since there isn't discrimination of whether it fits enough of a niche. I would've bet every VN did better in Japan but it sounds like FM has done much better in the west, which is crazy.
it seems like in japan the distinction between adventure games like ace attorney/zero escape/etc and visual novels is much bigger, whereas in the west they all get lumped into the visual novel genre, so the fanbases are kinda merged together and visual novels benefit because of that.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Wishing them all the best. I'll probably get whatever their next project is day one.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
It is both amazing and worrying how something as fickle as a metacritic score was enough to make sales go in one direction radically.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I think he's being a bit humble, but it's understandable. That said, House in Fata Morgana gave me an experience I rarely get from games.

On a side note, I went looking around and didn't realize that House in Fata Morgana came out in manga form and is translated. Time to check that out

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Simply out of curiosity, what aspects of a visual novel would you consider a game? Because the developer seemingly finds this line interesting
It's a very interesting point - but I honestly tend not to spend too much time anymore debating whether or not something is a "game" or not. I have a few friends who I debated with previously, as they didn't consider "walking simulators" to be games. Truthfully, I'm not sure where that line can be drawn. For myself, I just know that I'm drawn to anything that can evoke some type of emotion out of me - whether it's happiness, sadness, etc. So I don't care too too much about classification.

I'll call it a "game" just because I know it's something I can download on a console and "play."

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it with the recent sale two days ago. Playing with headphones on the bed every night since then, so good.
Like read a great book with wonderful music, sound effects and images.

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
Just finished Requiem the other day (with no access to Reincarnation because i play on Steam) and loved it to bits. So of course, this thread is great news. I didn't even know they are making two (?) new games? I'm VERY excited.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
First of all, of course, the user scores were all over the place. Apparently, the first game to receive a Metascore of 100 was "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time". [OoT actually is at 99] Ocarina of Time, it's a goddamn game.

tenor.gif

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
However, overseas, both Ace Attorney and Danron mystery adventures and so-called regular visual novels are somehow all lumped together under the visual novel tag, so maybe the demographic isn't as divided as it is in Japan. I wonder if this is one of the reasons why they are so highly rated overseas, but I don't know the right answer. Please tell me.

Oh, interesting perspective right there. I used to lump them all together, too, but after learning more about the genre I've come to see visual novels as something more specific. Never considered this angle, though.

I could see the same being true of JRPGs. Encompassing a broad range of games means fanbases are less segregated, for example. Just goes to show that there are downsides to being super strict and technical about genre.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, switch and steam sales literally saved their company, it was a blessing that the game was able to get a 100 metascore, really helped put eyes on them

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fata Morgana is probably the easiest game/story that I can point to as one that I know deeply stuck with me/shaped how I think about things. I'm a bit saddened to hear that they were in such dire straights before the switch version, but simultaneously very happy that it worked out for them. I hope more people give the game a shot, and the thought of a new work from them is extremely exciting, and I'm easily there.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
it seems like in japan the distinction between adventure games like ace attorney/zero escape/etc and visual novels is much bigger, whereas in the west they all get lumped into the visual novel genre, so the fanbases are kinda merged together and visual novels benefit because of that.
Which I'm glad cause people have been trying to seperate them in the west like on this forum and get to be sticklers about it. But they don't realize how much it's helping the genre overall

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Good stuff. Already have the base game on GOG, but just bought the Switch version after reading this.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Always a bummer seeing these super talented Japanese developers (who've put out at least one piece of awesome work) struggling to make ends meet afterwards. Teruhiro Shimogawa (writer/director of Soul Sacrifice) has been the same since the release of that game.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Glad to hear the development team is in a slightly more comfortable position now. Here's hoping they can continue to make great works for as long as they want.
Always a bummer seeing these super talented Japanese developers (who've put out at least one piece of awesome work) struggling to make ends meet afterwards. Teruhiro Shimogawa (writer/director of Soul Sacrifice) has been the same since the release of that game.
I've heard that about Teruhiro Shimogawa as well. What a shame. Soul Sacrifice was so good.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Well deserved success, even if it came almost a bit too late for Novectacle. I hope this next project makes for a good stepping stone to NarkarmA, and that it does even better now that they have more of an audience.

Also, this is a random side note, but I'm kind of annoyed DeepL has seemingly gotten so good. I'm trying to get into developing a career as a translator and just having an automatic tool produce such a good result is troubling. I guess it's a good thing I'm also a computer science major (even if I enjoy that work less than translation).
It's got a bad habit of outputting translations which look much more correct/polished than Google's Tesseract engine, but still makes weird errors (ex. rendering kamige as goddamn game instead of god game). Overall, though, I use DeepL a ton just for skimming since it usually gets it right in broad strokes.